BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

View Poll Results: Who will hold the highest office in the land??
Hilary Clinton 18 11.32%
Barack Obama 84 52.83%
John McCain 51 32.08%
Mitt Romney 6 3.77%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

02-02-2008, 11:48 AM   #1
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Exclamation UPDATED 2008 PRESIDENTIAL POLL!!!!

Who in your opinion will be the next President of the United States of America. I will only post the top 2 contenders from each party as of late.

Our last poll was shockingly civil for the most part. Lets continue our respectfulness and maturity into this one. :smile:
      02-02-2008, 12:11 PM   #2
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Thanks Larryn!!
      02-02-2008, 12:50 PM   #3
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

I am not sure if i should put up who I think will win or who I would like to see win.
      02-02-2008, 12:58 PM   #4
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARES45 View Post
I am not sure if i should put up who I think will win or who I would like to see win.
I thought about that exact same thing...lol
Put up who you think WILL become U.S. President.
      02-02-2008, 02:02 PM   #5
Nixon
Banned
Rep
Drives: :

Nixon for Obama '08
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 03:13 PM   #6
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2010 VW GTI

HINT: She spells her name Hillary Clinton. :wink:

In the garage: 2007 MINI Cooper S

WARNING: What you have read is an opinion. Yours will differ.

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 03:32 PM   #7
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
HINT: She spells her name Hillary Clinton. :wink:
Thanks M. Forgive me, im at the beach. Tuesday is going to be one helluva fight!!
      02-02-2008, 05:38 PM   #8
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

I think it's pretty up in the air at this point. McCain has the repub nomination fairly locked down, IMO, but on the democratic side, things haven't really settled down.

If Hillary wins, McCain will be our next president.
If Obama wins, I think it's a tossup.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 05:40 PM   #9
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SWB 335i

Guys - to really know whose going to be the next President, follow 'intrade' - http://www.intrade.com/ - you'll see the winner picked via wagering. (The 'mercun way of course ; -)
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 06:58 PM   #10
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82TT6 View Post
I think it's pretty up in the air at this point. McCain has the repub nomination fairly locked down, IMO, but on the democratic side, things haven't really settled down.

If Hillary wins, McCain will be our next president.
If Obama wins, I think it's a tossup.
I have to respectfully disagree with u there Chuck. I haven't seen such party crossing as this before. Hillary or Obama will take this in any case. McCain will be their biggest opponent. Romney is too much of a flip flopper. Once the Dem nomination is secure. WATCH OUT. My gf works with a local congressman and I hear more than I care too at times.
      02-02-2008, 08:30 PM   #11
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
Romney is too much of a flip flopper.
...Umm... how exactly? The only issue where I can even entertain this discussion in on abortion. But even then, that is easily explained by the word: "Massachusetts".

If you want to talk flip-flopper: look at McCain, look at Clinton... I can't say anything Obama because he doesn't seem to stand for anything except get out of Iraq.

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 10:08 PM   #12
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep

Romney has flip flopped big time on Gay Rights, and Abortion.

Honestly, I've always followed McCain, and I'm not aware of much in the way of flip flops on his part. Are you talking about the tax cuts? Voting against them was just a vote for sound fiscal policy. Voting to keep them is a vote against raising taxes. I'm not aware of anywhere else he's been accused of flip-flopping.

Obama stands for:
Healthcare for everyone who wants it, through both goverment programs, and efforts to get along with the civil sector.

Middle Class tax cuts.

Eliminating tax breaks on companies moving jobs overseas.

Add funding to "No Child Left Behind"

Removing capital gains, and $250k+ parts of Bush tax cuts.

Supports the border wall, increasing funding to border patrol, along with penalizing current illegals, offering a path to citizenship that involves waiting in line, and sanctioning employers who employ illegals.

Opposes gay marriage, opposes Constitutional ban on gay marriage, supports civil unions.

Big government funding for energy problem, tax breaks to those who help with it.

Supports federal funding of stem cell research.

Opposses constitutional ammendment that would overturn Roe v Wade.

Anything else you want to know his position on? ;-)
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 10:14 PM   #13
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

MASS isn't a good enough answer.
      02-02-2008, 10:47 PM   #14
larryn
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '10 E92 M3

Having lived thru the Romney administration in MA, I have to say he was all promises and smiles, and lacked any substance. He ran for Governor on the same promises and smiles platform that he's using now. Except then, he bragged about the Salt Lake City Olympics as his claim to fame, charmed enough people, and got elected as a stepping stone to running in this current presidential election.

If you want to get nothing accomplished over the next 4 years, vote Romney. He got chewed up and spit out at the State level, he'll be an even worse rookie in DC.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 10:48 PM   #15
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
MASS isn't a good enough answer.
It is when you take a look at both his actual record on abortion and the fact he consistently gets the endorsement of pro-life donors and organizations.

And, if someone is going to flip-flop, I'd much rather have him flip-flop my way.

But, again, it is not like Romney "flip-flopping" on abortion is a problem on he shares. The same can be said about McCain and his stance on the Bush Tax Cuts, on campaign finance reform, immigration, etc. You say that his stance on the tax cuts is legitimate but you can't have it both ways. If he is truthfully opposed to the bill in the first place, him changing to being for them is, in fact, a "flip-flop" (I want a new word for this because I'm tired of sounding like a four-year old).

The same can be said for Clinton and her stance on the Iraq war. I'm sure if you researched, she has wavered on tax cuts as well.

And, again, the problem Obama is that on critical issues (like immigration and healthcare) he says he has ideas and generally supports a certain position. But he does not state specifics. I have no idea what his healthcare plan actually is.

Also, while Obama claims this huge opposition to the Iraq war, why, when asked in a debate, if he would pledge to be out of Iraq by 2012 (theoretically, the end of his term as President), he answered "no."

When it comes to economic issues, I am much more likely to trust a person who has actually managed a corporation in the economy over someone who hasn't. That leaves Romney and, technically, Clinton. Clearly, over those two, I am much more partial for Romney.

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 11:24 PM   #16
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep

Let's be honest about Iraq, we won't be leaving anytime soon. It's a simple tool for the politicians. Now that we're there we won't be leaving in "90 days" or any such nonesense. The nation would collapse, and we would have an even bigger problem on our hands.

I dunno, I can see McCain's so called flip-flop on the tax cuts as justified. They were undeniably fiscally unsound (look at the debt we've run up. Big tax cuts, and big spending increases don't mix), but it's always a bad idea to hike taxes once they've been lowered.

The bigger Romney flip-flop in my view is going from VOCALLY pro-Gay Rights, to exactly the opposite.

I understand most of this is all political showmanship on all sides, but it can get a little silly at times.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 11:27 PM   #17
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Its nice to have input from someone who lived in a state governed by Romney. Romney running a large corporation is of no importance to me. He can't even manage to raise ample funds for his own campaign. It is well known fact that he is spending A LOT of his own money to fund his own campaign. He spent tens of millions of his personal cash in Iowa. God only knows how much he is forking up for Super Tuesday. If you can't raise money from the support of others then bow out...just like rudy,edwards,richardson, etc did.

Do u know Romney's history. Was his father not a politician? The man is old money..and a career politician. Can u educate me on whether he started that company from scratch? I doubt Obama's African father or working American mother used their connections to get him into an IV league school. Obama turned down big firm offers to become a public servant. Didn't CNN say Obama's net worth was between 1.5 and 2mil. That is exponentially less than any of his opponents. I trust him more to run our country.

I've watched all the debates and we do not need another republican in office next term. The world needs to see a drastic change. 8yrs is enough. OBAMA/CLINTON 08
      02-03-2008, 12:51 AM   #18
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Romney is a former CEO of Bain & Company, a management consulting firm, and the co-founder of Bain Capital, a private equity investment firm.

He invested in or bought many well-known companies such as Staples, Brookstone, Domino's, Sealy Corporation and Sports Authority.[14]

In 1990, Romney was asked to return to Bain & Company, which was facing financial collapse. As CEO, Romney managed an effort to restructure the firm's employee stock-ownership plan, real-estate deals and bank loans, while increasing fiscal transparency. Within a year, he had led Bain & Company through a highly successful turnaround and returned the firm to profitability without layoffs or partner defections
And, onehots2k, are you saying that if you were in his position, that you would not spend your own money to finance a campaign you believe in? I would. And, Guiliani, Edwards, and Thompson dropped out not because of funding (well, for Thompson this is mostly true) but because they simply didn't win primaries. Romney has... enough said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn
Having lived thru the Romney administration in MA, I have to say he was all promises and smiles, and lacked any substance. He ran for Governor on the same promises and smiles platform that he's using now. Except then, he bragged about the Salt Lake City Olympics as his claim to fame, charmed enough people, and got elected as a stepping stone to running in this current presidential election.

If you want to get nothing accomplished over the next 4 years, vote Romney. He got chewed up and spit out at the State level, he'll be an even worse rookie in DC.
Clearly, your entire state agrees with you:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...imary-538.html

I guess, then, what some of you are saying is that ruining a multi-billion dollar business and running the Olympics is a real easy job and says nothing about him. Umm... sorry, still voting Romney.

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 10:07 AM   #19
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
From Wikipedia:

And, onehots2k, are you saying that if you were in his position, that you would not spend your own money to finance a campaign you believe in? I would. And, Guiliani, Edwards, and Thompson dropped out not because of funding (well, for Thompson this is mostly true) but because they simply didn't win primaries. Romney has... enough said.

I guess, then, what some of you are saying is that ruining a multi-billion dollar business and running the Olympics is a real easy job and says nothing about him. Umm... sorry, still voting Romney.
To be honest, I would throw up my own cash also. :wink: But that dosent mean that makes me look as good as my opponents who dosent need to. Cash is what helps you win primaries. More so than issues IMO. I cant tell you how many Romney signs I've seen here in FL. Sometimes 15 in a row!! There has got to be some kind of subliminal effect.
      02-03-2008, 10:34 AM   #20
larryn
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '10 E92 M3

Quote:

It's the homeboy advantage you are seeing there. What did you expect? He allowed the Big Dig to bleed money, corruption, and run over, because he did not get involved. He let things just run unmanaged. Statewide, spending increased 8% each year of his term (24% over his term).

The State Senate did ignore him, and he brought no additional jobs to MA (matter of fact, during his tenure, Massachusetts was ranked 41st in job growth). Also, manufacturing jobs declined at double the national rate, the third worst decline in the entire country.

I'm not saying vote for ***** or *****. I'm just saying that Romney did less than nothing for this State.

As for the Olympics, what did he do? Decreased steroid use or judging corruption? Puh-leez. He is good at raising money though, which is how he pulled off the Olympics. i still say the national elections are not to find out who the best person is to do the job, but rather who can raise the most money. Look at Giuliani. He was very likely to be a front runner, and decided to not spend any early money, waiting until Florida. Not too brilliant of a plan....
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 12:25 PM   #21
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Statewide, spending increased 8% each year of his term (24% over his term).
That statement really means nothing unless that spending is not covered by revenue.

Quote:
The State Senate did ignore him, and he brought no additional jobs to MA (matter of fact, during his tenure, Massachusetts was ranked 41st in job growth).
Source? IIRC, the study you are referring to quoted data that included data from the previous Governor's term.

Quote:
As for the Olympics, what did he do? Decreased steroid use or judging corruption? Puh-leez. He is good at raising money though, which is how he pulled off the Olympics.
I don't think you understand what an organizational disaster the Olympics were in Utah before he showed up. A LOT of people were concerned that they may not even get the show going, let alone have it organized. You really can not underscore what he did for the Olympics in a very short people of time (proportionally).

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 01:36 PM   #22
Nixon
Banned
Rep
Drives: :

Quote:
I can't say anything Obama because he doesn't seem to stand for anything except get out of Iraq.
Quote:
And, again, the problem Obama is that on critical issues (like immigration and healthcare) he says he has ideas and generally supports a certain position. But he does not state specifics. I have no idea what his healthcare plan actually is.

Let me suggest taking a few minutes of your time to inform yourself about Obama's detailed positions. It doesn't look like you've made any effort to learn about Obama before you talk about him.:iono:

Google "Obama" and links to his healthcare plan on www.barackobama.com pop right up. Look through his website, and you will find details for many topics. Like the two you asked about:

HealthCare:
http://www.barackobama.com/issues/pd...reFullPlan.pdf

Immigration:
http://www.barackobama.com/issues/pd...nFactSheet.pdf

I hope this helps.
Appreciate 0