BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
EclipsisNA
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-07-2008, 01:03 PM   #1
blue-coupe
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 1999 Z3 Coupe
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dallas TX

Posts: 254
iTrader: (0)

What should be done with the Z4 M Coupe

I really love this car (I once owned a 1999 Z3 Coupe), however, it doesn't really seem to make much sense in the line-up? Obviously the 135 is competition for this car, given the similar HP numbers. Also, with the new M3 moving to a V8, I would suspect the same for the Z4M, but a V8 just doesn't seem to fit the chracter of the car.

I'm thinking the coupe my finially be done for good with the next itteration of the Z4.:iono:
blue-coupe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2008, 01:12 PM   #2
turbomg
Acquiring the taste.
 
Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2007

Posts: 151
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-coupe View Post
Also, with the new M3 moving to a V8, I would suspect the same for the Z4M, but a V8 just doesn't seem to fit the chracter of the car.
Really? I think it'd be perfect. I've not actually driven the current car, but everything I've read tends to characterize it as the German viper. Raucous and wild, liking abuse more than finesse.

The Z4 is on its last legs, and a refresh is imminent, but I wouldn't be surprised if they wedged the V8 in for at least one year before killing it off. Much like they did with the Z3.
turbomg is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
blue-coupe
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 1999 Z3 Coupe
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dallas TX

Posts: 254
iTrader: (0)

I just figure the V8 is too heavy for this front-nosed vehicle.

If they take the Z4 a little further upmarket, and intro a Z1 or Z2 based off the 135, I think that opens up enough space for a V8.

I'd love to see a Z2 with a 250-280hp TT4.
blue-coupe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2008, 01:56 PM   #4
blue-coupe
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 1999 Z3 Coupe
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dallas TX

Posts: 254
iTrader: (0)

Oh wait, I think I remember reading that the new V8 is actually lighter than the I6 in the M3......
blue-coupe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2008, 01:58 PM   #5
blue-coupe
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 1999 Z3 Coupe
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dallas TX

Posts: 254
iTrader: (0)

I drove a Z4 Coupe (non-M) when they first came out, it is a great car. I'd be pretty serious about picking up a used M, but the 135 offers a lot of the performance, and quite a bit more utility.

However, the Z4M shames the 135 when it comes to character.
blue-coupe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2008, 03:20 PM   #6
john970
1er
 
Drives: 08 135
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver

Posts: 1,203
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-coupe View Post
I drove a Z4 Coupe (non-M) when they first came out, it is a great car. I'd be pretty serious about picking up a used M, but the 135 offers a lot of the performance, and quite a bit more utility.

However, the Z4M shames the 135 when it comes to character.
I disagree, M coupe has more curb appeal but less character for that reason. Sort of like a cayman losing character because of the personality that buys it.
john970 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2008, 05:14 PM   #7
ARES45
Major
 
Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2007

Posts: 1,002
iTrader: (0)

I used to worship the z4m, then I drove a z4 coupe. I love the idea of the car and the looks. I just didn't love the idea of driving it every day, maybe on the weekends, but not everyday. Mainly it was the restriction of view.

At any rate I would like to see a z4 coupe with the N54 and a z4m coupe with a v8. In the end I would still buy a 135 for myself though.
__________________
"Don't run, you'll only die tired" ~ Gunship Pilot
ARES45 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2008, 05:25 PM   #8
TP 135i
Major
 
TP 135i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Finksburg, Maryland

Posts: 1,341
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by john970 View Post
I disagree, M coupe has more curb appeal but less character for that reason. Sort of like a cayman losing character because of the personality that buys it.
Well....thanks for that comment
TP 135i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2008, 05:43 PM   #9
john970
1er
 
Drives: 08 135
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver

Posts: 1,203
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP 135i View Post
Well....thanks for that comment
personality that usually buys it...
john970 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2008, 09:38 PM   #10
mateo
Addicted Member
 
Drives:
Join Date: Jul 2007

Posts: 603
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomg View Post
Really? I think it'd be perfect. I've not actually driven the current car, but everything I've read tends to characterize it as the German viper. Raucous and wild, liking abuse more than finesse.

The Z4 is on its last legs, and a refresh is imminent, but I wouldn't be surprised if they wedged the V8 in for at least one year before killing it off. Much like they did with the Z3.
I agree with this one the most. Maybe because we have the same weather...:iono:

Due to how bad sales have been, and the fact that they are selling them right now, back of market value. I think you have it pegged right here.

:roundel:
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
mateo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2008, 10:37 PM   #11
slipkmaggot
First Lieutenant
 
Drives:
Join Date: Nov 2007

Posts: 361
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to slipkmaggot
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP 135i View Post
Well....thanks for that comment
__________________
:roundel: :roundel: :roundel: :roundel: :roundel: :roundel: :roundel: :roundel: :roundel:
slipkmaggot is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2008, 12:40 AM   #12
john970
1er
 
Drives: 08 135
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver

Posts: 1,203
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo View Post
I agree with this one the most. Maybe because we have the same weather...:iono:

Due to how bad sales have been, and the fact that they are selling them right now, back of market value. I think you have it pegged right here.

:roundel:
My dealer has had the same black m coupe for almost a year now. Prob. get it for cheaper than a 1 with the full msrp and crappy money factors.
john970 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2008, 08:50 AM   #13
natedog_1959
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2004 SVT Focus
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nashville, TN

Posts: 153
iTrader: (0)

I have driven a Z4 M Coupe and it was fantastic. I destroyed a new boxster S from 40-135. He didn't stand a chance and actually gave me a thumbs up afterwards. I had a dealer recently offer me a brand new 07 M Coupe for $42k. Sticker was $54k or a bit more. BMW can't get rid of these things which is a shame. Nate
natedog_1959 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2008, 11:39 AM   #14
BForbes
Moderator
 
BForbes's Avatar
 
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orlando, FL

Posts: 4,237
iTrader: (0)

I'm failing to understand why BMW cant get rid of these. Is it poor advertising/marketing on their part?
__________________
- 04 Honda S2000(gone)
BForbes is offline   Bahamas
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2008, 12:01 PM   #15
cracka
Captain
 
cracka's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: DFW

Posts: 777
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to cracka
Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
I'm failing to understand why BMW cant get rid of these. Is it poor advertising/marketing on their part?
I wonder if the 335i is so good that it undercuts the market for the Z4 M Coupe. If you can have a lot of the performance, a ride that's much easier on the body for daily driving, and real world practicality, it makes the Z4 M a tougher sell for someone who doesn't specifically want an M.

If that's the case, then the fact that they're being discounted right down into 335i coupe range doesn't seem coincidental. And the 135i would certainly further erode the market for the Z4 M Coupe.
cracka is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2008, 04:56 PM   #16
Ryephile
Not a Newbie
 
Drives:
Join Date: Nov 2007

Posts: 173
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Ryephile Send a message via Yahoo to Ryephile
Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
I'm failing to understand why BMW cant get rid of these. Is it poor advertising/marketing on their part?
I'd guess the pricing is about $10k too high. Like Nate said, an offer for $42 and he still walked away. If a dealer offered me $40k for a no-option //M Coupe in Interlagos Blue with carbon leather dash I'd jump on it...except my MINI is way more fun!

The //M Coupe takes a very specific buyer [no kids, active life but only need about 5 cu.ft. of trunk space and one passenger seat and don't care about horrible gas mileage]. Similar thrills can be had with an S2000 or Miata for half the price and better mileage and lower insurance.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ryephile is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2008, 07:30 PM   #17
ARES45
Major
 
Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2007

Posts: 1,002
iTrader: (0)

Surprisingly enough when I got an insurance qoute for one, it was less than a 335i coupe for me. Don't ask me why.
__________________
"Don't run, you'll only die tired" ~ Gunship Pilot
ARES45 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2008, 06:27 PM   #18
natedog_1959
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2004 SVT Focus
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nashville, TN

Posts: 153
iTrader: (0)

I was just going to say, with gas prices hovering at $3.30/gallon for premium, not many people are looking at a car that might get 24 mpg highway if they keep their foot out of it. $42k was what they had on the window. I didn't even ask them if they could come down from that as my fiance will get the next new car, probably a new Camry. Nate
natedog_1959 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2008, 11:58 AM   #19
blue-coupe
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 1999 Z3 Coupe
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dallas TX

Posts: 254
iTrader: (0)

It came to me as if in a dream. Move the Z4M to the v8 that's in the new M3, and drop the TT6 into the standard Z4, maybe call it the Z35 (doubtful).

A Z35 would be a great car. Plenty of power, and lighter than the 135 to keep the performance noticebly higher. Plus, I'm warming up to the idea of the v8 in the M, even though it would be out of my spending range.
blue-coupe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST