BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
OneEighty
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-25-2007, 02:57 PM   #1
BForbes
Moderator
Bahamas
160

 
BForbes's Avatar
 
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orlando, FL


Posts: 4,243
iTrader: (0)

BROOKSIDE, I'M CALLING YOU OUT

and fellow Z4 owners too!! :biggrin:

I've got a question. Are you guys even considering the Next-gen Z4 over the 135i??? From the spyshots and info I've seen it seems to look VERY promising. My only fear is that BMW might bump it waay up in price. It looks like a hardtop to me. PLUS, "Scott" has said that it will get the M3 420hp Motor in //M format!! The pics below show that the Z DOES have the N54. By the time it comes it should be packing a few more ponies. So is the Z still in the cards for you guys/gals or not?

My estimation of powerplants are:

Base Z4- 260HP
Z4 3.0SI- 320HP-N54 Motor
Z4M- 420HP

whether or not the car will be lighter than a 135i is up in the air b/c of the folding hardtop.

-barry



__________________
- 04 Honda S2000(gone)
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2007, 04:00 PM   #2
inTgr8r
Major General
Canada
112

 
inTgr8r's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 M Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto


Posts: 8,069
iTrader: (7)

I've followed this closely for a while now. (for obvious reasons \/below\/ )

JMO, but you can bet the farm it will cost more than the current Z4.
It's getting BIGGER, & moving up to a higher rent district.
It will also be a tin roof vert.
It will eventually get the M3 V8, but only after the base car has been out a year or two (AKA the new Z4M)
The initial offering will be the N54;
look at the pics, two single pipes & an interfooler behind the front grill.

This will leave room for BMW to come out with a new Z2.
- which is the car I'm waiting for....
Smaller & lighter with the N54 engine:biggrin::biggrin:
__________________
Alpinweiss '07 M Coupe •DKF Section1•RPi GT exhaust•Fabspeed Headers•Autosolutions SSK•APR splitter•Tekarbon headlights•StrongStrut STB•H&R COs + ARBs•Poly FCAB/RTAB•Volk Racing G2•Direzza ZII•Stoptech BBK•Vibra-Tech mtr mounts•
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
BForbes
Moderator
Bahamas
160

 
BForbes's Avatar
 
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orlando, FL


Posts: 4,243
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
I've followed this closely for a while now. (for obvious reasons \/below\/ )

JMO, but you can bet the farm it will cost more than the current Z4.
It's getting BIGGER, & moving up to a higher rent district.
It will also be a tin roof vert.
It will eventually get the M3 V8, but only after the base car has been out a year or two (AKA the new Z4M)
The initial offering will be the N54;
look at the pics, two single pipes & an interfooler behind the front grill.

This will leave room for BMW to come out with a new Z2.
- which is the car I'm waiting for....
Smaller & lighter with the N54 engine:biggrin::biggrin:
Yeah your right. It is moving up b/c of the alleged Z2. Could you imagine a smaller car with the N54??? Sheesh. Dont hold your breath though. Your kids might have kids before that thing comes. BMW has too ma ny things on the pipeline. I mean the F3, X6, new 7, M1, X2, X3 replacement. Its safe to say a Z2 is faaaar down the list.
__________________
- 04 Honda S2000(gone)
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2007, 04:51 PM   #4
inTgr8r
Major General
Canada
112

 
inTgr8r's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 M Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto


Posts: 8,069
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
Yeah your right. It is moving up b/c of the alleged Z2. Could you imagine a smaller car with the N54??? Sheesh. Dont hold your breath though. Your kids might have kids before that thing comes. BMW has too ma ny things on the pipeline. I mean the F3, X6, new 7, M1, X2, X3 replacement. Its safe to say a Z2 is faaaar down the list.
Yeah... it won't likely be anytime soon.
No worries though, my M Roady isn't going anywhere, anytime soon.
& with a 1er sharing the garage, I'll be able to keep the miles down too. :smile:
__________________
Alpinweiss '07 M Coupe •DKF Section1•RPi GT exhaust•Fabspeed Headers•Autosolutions SSK•APR splitter•Tekarbon headlights•StrongStrut STB•H&R COs + ARBs•Poly FCAB/RTAB•Volk Racing G2•Direzza ZII•Stoptech BBK•Vibra-Tech mtr mounts•
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2007, 05:47 PM   #5
bimmerfile
Grand Poobah
Canada
11

 
bimmerfile's Avatar
 
Drives: 128i Cabrio & X1
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: GTA, Canada


Posts: 1,016
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
and fellow Z4 owners too!! :biggrin:

I've got a question. Are you guys even considering the Next-gen Z4 over the 135i??? ..........................
..................................
........................
Yep, it was on my list as a possible replacement for my Z4, but
1. it has a metal folding roof and I want a ragtop.
2. it's going upscale and that means more $$$ (and we're already getting ripped off in Canada vis-a-vis U.S. pricing).
3. I don't think it's going to be that dramatically different (design wise) from the current version of Z4.
4. after 6 years of Z4, I'm ready for something different
5. getting a little more room (e.g. back seat) would be nice - although I wouldn't want to go 3-series, c-class or Audi A5 size.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2007, 05:50 PM   #6
inTgr8r
Major General
Canada
112

 
inTgr8r's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 M Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto


Posts: 8,069
iTrader: (7)

^ a tin top vert has zero appeal to me as well.
- adds too much weight & takes up too much trunk space.

ragtop FTW :biggrin:
__________________
Alpinweiss '07 M Coupe •DKF Section1•RPi GT exhaust•Fabspeed Headers•Autosolutions SSK•APR splitter•Tekarbon headlights•StrongStrut STB•H&R COs + ARBs•Poly FCAB/RTAB•Volk Racing G2•Direzza ZII•Stoptech BBK•Vibra-Tech mtr mounts•
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2007, 06:01 PM   #7
Robert
Major General
115

 
Drives: 135i, current is350
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Socal


Posts: 6,902
iTrader: (1)

Hood of the new Z4 looks really long. It is almost 1/2 the length of the entire car.
__________________
- There's nothing in my pocket other than knives and lint
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2007, 06:09 PM   #8
BForbes
Moderator
Bahamas
160

 
BForbes's Avatar
 
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orlando, FL


Posts: 4,243
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut View Post
Yep, it was on my list as a possible replacement for my Z4, but
1. it has a metal folding roof and I want a ragtop.
2. it's going upscale and that means more $$$ (and we're already getting ripped off in Canada vis-a-vis U.S. pricing).
3. I don't think it's going to be that dramatically different (design wise) from the current version of Z4.
4. after 6 years of Z4, I'm ready for something different
5. getting a little more room (e.g. back seat) would be nice - although I wouldn't want to go 3-series, c-class or Audi A5 size.
Those are interesting points. I can definitely see where your coming from.
__________________
- 04 Honda S2000(gone)
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2007, 07:25 PM   #9
fishbulb
Private First Class
2

 
Drives:
Join Date: Jul 2007


Posts: 123
iTrader: (0)

looks hot - but getting even bigger! I LOVE the Z4 coupe - but every time I see that looooooooong hood i realize that I don't think it will work for me. (well, plus the price, and if we decide to have kids.....)

Anyway, I would also like to see a Z2 coupe and 'vert.

THanks for the pics!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2007, 10:25 PM   #10
Brookside
Major
47

 
Brookside's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: KCMO


Posts: 1,104
iTrader: (0)

Jeez Barry...call me out...!!!
I about fell over logging onto the site.
I've seen the LeftLane photos. I was going to post them. But I'm glad you did.

Probably every person on the site thinks about cars...waaaaay too much.
And the new Z dances in my head.
But I'm ready for a change.

The Z will be gorgeous car...and it looks like Bangle and Co. are going to hang such big cojones on the next one there'll be no question as to how Masculine the beast is. The thing looks like a phallus on wheels.

But like the other guys have said it'll be more expensive and bigger. BMW is going with the made in Germany cache as part of the justification on price.
Won't be referred to as the Bubba Bimmer anymore. Doubtful any Z owner will miss that.
I could get used to the folding hardtop...but there goes the trunkspace.

So no, I'm 100% certain the 1-er coupe is my car.
But I will be checking the Z4 closely when it comes out...there's always the next one.
:wink:
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2007, 10:34 PM   #11
murdoc158
Private
0

 
Drives:
Join Date: Jun 2007


Posts: 91
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to murdoc158
I'm liking the looks of it, but alas, I will need a back seat in a few years.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 12:01 AM   #12
FinInk
Second Lieutenant
3

 
Drives: 2000 Celica, Wanting 335i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Fresno


Posts: 291
iTrader: (0)

wow that has a looong ass front. Batmobile ftw. I can't wait to see it without the bulk/camo
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 12:29 AM   #13
imported_Green Tea
Enlisted Member
0

 
Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2007


Posts: 30
iTrader: (0)

From looking at the car I think this is not a Z4, but a Z8.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 07:42 AM   #14
inTgr8r
Major General
Canada
112

 
inTgr8r's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 M Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto


Posts: 8,069
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Tea View Post
From looking at the car I think this is not a Z4, but a Z8.
Z8 is due to be replaced with a Z9 halo car
__________________
Alpinweiss '07 M Coupe •DKF Section1•RPi GT exhaust•Fabspeed Headers•Autosolutions SSK•APR splitter•Tekarbon headlights•StrongStrut STB•H&R COs + ARBs•Poly FCAB/RTAB•Volk Racing G2•Direzza ZII•Stoptech BBK•Vibra-Tech mtr mounts•
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 11:24 AM   #15
BForbes
Moderator
Bahamas
160

 
BForbes's Avatar
 
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orlando, FL


Posts: 4,243
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
Jeez Barry...call me out...!!!
I about fell over logging onto the site.
I've seen the LeftLane photos. I was going to post them. But I'm glad you did.

Probably every person on the site thinks about cars...waaaaay too much.
And the new Z dances in my head.
But I'm ready for a change.

The Z will be gorgeous car...and it looks like Bangle and Co. are going to hang such big cojones on the next one there'll be no question as to how Masculine the beast is. The thing looks like a phallus on wheels.

But like the other guys have said it'll be more expensive and bigger. BMW is going with the made in Germany cache as part of the justification on price.
Won't be referred to as the Bubba Bimmer anymore. Doubtful any Z owner will miss that.
I could get used to the folding hardtop...but there goes the trunkspace.

So no, I'm 100% certain the 1-er coupe is my car.
But I will be checking the Z4 closely when it comes out...there's always the next one.
:wink:
Well it was my aim to SHOCK you since you've avoided really mentioning your thoughts on your next gen of your current Bimmer!! And its true we guys do think of cars waay too much..haha Almost as much as something else....ahem*

The current Z4 has the hate-it or love-it styling. And I do know a lot of haters from across the range. I do believe that this one will not be the step-child anymore. Its going to look more dramatic and have more appeal. I'm not even in the market for a convertible but this Z has me watching out the corner of my eye.(not like i'd be able to swing one at this point in life anyway)

Thanks for the response, along with the rest of you Z owners. I guess time will tell whether the Z4 wets your appetite enough to set aside your 1coupe. BMW FTW.
__________________
- 04 Honda S2000(gone)
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 08:11 PM   #16
Klinn
Private
2

 
Drives:
Join Date: Jul 2007


Posts: 80
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
^ a tin top vert has zero appeal to me as well.
- adds too much weight & takes up too much trunk space.
I prefer ragtop too, but some of the newer folding tops are getting awfully clever. The one on the Miata doesn't eat up any noticable trunk space, it's small enough that it drops down into the well normally occupied by the ragtop. Only adds about 65-70lbs, which isn't too bad. If I went on a diet I could offset part of that! :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 09:22 PM   #17
inTgr8r
Major General
Canada
112

 
inTgr8r's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 M Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto


Posts: 8,069
iTrader: (7)

Yeah, there is definitely some appeal to the newer hard top verts.

If they did manage to minimize the package, weight is still an issue.
It's not just the # of lbs, it's also where the extra lbs are located (up high)
__________________
Alpinweiss '07 M Coupe •DKF Section1•RPi GT exhaust•Fabspeed Headers•Autosolutions SSK•APR splitter•Tekarbon headlights•StrongStrut STB•H&R COs + ARBs•Poly FCAB/RTAB•Volk Racing G2•Direzza ZII•Stoptech BBK•Vibra-Tech mtr mounts•
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 12:20 PM   #18
Flugtechnik
Enlisted Member
United_States
0

 
Drives: 325i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SC


Posts: 30
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
Where have I seen that before? Oh yeah!

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 07:37 PM   #19
335i=:)
Second Lieutenant
8

 
Drives: 335i sedan-blk/blk-Poplar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: utah


Posts: 290
iTrader: (0)

Have you guys seen any confirmation that any z4/z3/z2 models will receive the N54? Everything I've seen has no mention of the n54. If there's a n54 z-coupe, I'm sold. I'm one of the weird ones that prefers Turbo's to high revving NA engine. I'd even pay 50k for one with the n54 and LSD and a bit lighter then the oner.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 07:42 AM   #20
Brookside
Major
47

 
Brookside's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: KCMO


Posts: 1,104
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ito135i View Post
Have you guys seen any confirmation that any z4/z3/z2 models will receive the N54? Everything I've seen has no mention of the n54. If there's a n54 z-coupe, I'm sold. I'm one of the weird ones that prefers Turbo's to high revving NA engine. I'd even pay 50k for one with the n54 and LSD and a bit lighter then the oner.
Haven't seen confirmation but logic says that N54 application in the Z4 is likely.
This seems the march of events in nearly all BMW models. God knows the Z4's engine bay could easily accomodate it.

Also this. New Z4 prototype. Look closely - Interior with fat-suit.
Somehow I'm getting this safe-sex subtext perhaps underscored by the grace of the girl's hands and wonderful hygenics going on with fingernails.
Also note i-Drive in center console located next to passenger breast. Sign of upscale aspirations [ re: fantasy for middle-aged men]for the next model.
:wink:

This is not a "spy-pic" in the sense that most of us think of. Instead, it is a deliberately posed photo taken with a top-quality state-of-the-art digital camera by BMW and "leaked" to the press. It is among the first "official/unofficial" representations that plays with desire/fantasy aimed directly at guys of a certain age complete with the blonde in the passenger seat.
Way to go BMW. This is why BMW is so freakin' far ahead of other car manufacturers. Not merely in engineering/design but also in knowing how to lure customers and define the "image" of the model in the minds of potential customers. The photo is insurgent publicity and incredibly smart.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 08:47 AM   #21
BForbes
Moderator
Bahamas
160

 
BForbes's Avatar
 
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orlando, FL


Posts: 4,243
iTrader: (0)

^^Looks like Brookside has been following this more closely than I suspected!!! That interior camou is over the top. What BMW should do is make Z coupes a little cheaper than the Z-conv. Nobody else does it backwards like BMW.
__________________
- 04 Honda S2000(gone)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 09:00 AM   #22
Brookside
Major
47

 
Brookside's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: KCMO


Posts: 1,104
iTrader: (0)

Guilty.
Barry I'm jealous the Z4 guys get the German blonde and all we got was the Mohave loser biker chick with tatoos. Not fair.
But shows what 10k will buy you.
(Apologies for sexist remark)
:smile:


Note speedometer goes up to 280 kph. Limited? So...what goes in the engine bay?
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST