BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
Strasse Wheels
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-04-2007, 03:25 PM   #1
pschnei3
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135i AW
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: ohio

Posts: 205
iTrader: (0)

First Home

How did people save up for their first home?
pschnei3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2007, 04:29 PM   #2
Dmitriy@AUTOcouture
Major
 
Dmitriy@AUTOcouture's Avatar
 
Drives: carefully
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,134
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Douglas Schneider View Post
How did people save up for their first home?
Still saving for a condo in tribeca, I'm 22 and renting in the city... however I'm planning on moving back with the parental units to save up some dough, the city is EXPENSIVE!!
Dmitriy@AUTOcouture is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2007, 04:33 PM   #3
dr335is
Brigadier General
 
Drives: GTI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,973
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Douglas Schneider View Post
How did people save up for their first home?
Well, first off...starting with the Bimmer instead of home was a mistake on your side...

Next, there are programs for the first time buyers that enable you to get in with little or no money down.

Also, you should look for the location, not necessarily for a big and nice(st) home. Look for the area that would appreciate.

Our first home was in 1998, 8 months fresh out of college with the college loan on my back. We got into the townhome, you could see the Ocean out of the 2nd story window. We paid about $110k for it. 2.5 years later we sold it for $250k. After that, it was easier. Now, we have no mortgage (age 34).
dr335is is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2007, 05:10 PM   #4
Nicholas
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: TO

Posts: 220
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
Well, first off...starting with the Bimmer instead of home was a mistake on your side...
__________________
Nicholas
Nicholas is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2007, 12:27 AM   #5
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
 
MoreCowbell's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 e92 335 Jet Black-Saddle
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,639
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
Come on now...first off, the guy works hard. I'm 31, and I have never owned a damn thing.

It's about priorities. At age 22, I would have chosen the car over Real Estate as well, and i'm sure just about almost everyone on the board, when they were 22 would have made that same choice.

Let's also realize this. Let's say that his car payment is $500 a month. That's 6k per year. If he wants to live in NYC, his mortgage payment will be around 3g a month for the smallest livable apartment. So he delays his real estate purchase for a 2 months...it's a good trade-off in my book, but to each his own.

Also,he is 22. If he wants to buy real estate, at favorable terms, he is going to have to establish some "hard" credit. The Bimmer does that for him.

There is a trend on this board, that has been here for the year I have been a member, to flame young BMW owners. And i've been part of that because I think a lot of the sub-25 year olds got the car from mommy and daddy(an utter disgrace) but that's not what happened here.

The guy is also doing a damn fine job at selling me my first mortgage, which hopefully I will be signing any day now.
__________________
1997 Z3 3.0: Retired 2006 E90 330i: Retired 2007 E92 335: Retired
2009 E70 4.8: Totaled by Drunk Bitch
2011 E70 3.5D: Current
Space Gray w Black Nevada - Loaded!!!
MoreCowbell is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2007, 12:34 AM   #6
findtom
Colonel
 
findtom's Avatar
 
Drives: E60 545i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada

Posts: 2,656
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gluck75 View Post
Come on now...first off, the guy works hard. I'm 31, and I have never owned a damn thing.

It's about priorities. At age 22, I would have chosen the car over Real Estate as well, and i'm sure just about almost everyone on the board, when they were 22 would have made that same choice.

Let's also realize this. Let's say that his car payment is $500 a month. That's 6k per year. If he wants to live in NYC, his mortgage payment will be around 3g a month for the smallest livable apartment. So he delays his real estate purchase for a 2 months...it's a good trade-off in my book, but to each his own.

Also,he is 22. If he wants to buy real estate, at favorable terms, he is going to have to establish some "hard" credit. The Bimmer does that for him.

There is a trend on this board, that has been here for the year I have been a member, to flame young BMW owners. And i've been part of that because I think a lot of the sub-25 year olds got the car from mommy and daddy(an utter disgrace) but that's not what happened here.

The guy is also doing a damn fine job at selling me my first mortgage, which hopefully I will be signing any day now.
Well said.

I think the key point there is that relative to NYC real estate a 325i E90 is a pretty minor purchase decision.
__________________
findtom is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2007, 12:43 AM   #7
flush01
Major
 
Drives: 33m@%#ing5
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: toronto

Posts: 1,420
iTrader: (0)

worked my ass off, was at the right place at the right time... at 21 had my first 350k house, now at 23 just moved into 5xx k house... need to pay this off as quick as i can ... my advice, when u get a house, keep prepaying as much as you can, it will kill alot of interest
flush01 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2007, 12:49 AM   #8
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
 
MoreCowbell's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 e92 335 Jet Black-Saddle
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,639
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by findtom View Post
Well said.

I think the key point there is that relative to NYC real estate a 325i E90 is a pretty minor purchase decision.
Thank You. Exactly!!!

And as far as NYC Real estate. It's going to my first home purchase. And at 7 figures, let's just say, i'm..well...nauseas....
__________________
1997 Z3 3.0: Retired 2006 E90 330i: Retired 2007 E92 335: Retired
2009 E70 4.8: Totaled by Drunk Bitch
2011 E70 3.5D: Current
Space Gray w Black Nevada - Loaded!!!
MoreCowbell is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2007, 12:51 AM   #9
findtom
Colonel
 
findtom's Avatar
 
Drives: E60 545i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada

Posts: 2,656
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gluck75 View Post
Thank You. Exactly!!!

And as far as NYC Real estate. It's going to my first home purchase. And at 7 figures, let's just say, i'm..well...nauseas....
Even in NYC 7 figures should get you a pretty sweet pad. Congrats.

I better start up E90post cribs 2007.
__________________
findtom is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2007, 01:00 AM   #10
flush01
Major
 
Drives: 33m@%#ing5
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: toronto

Posts: 1,420
iTrader: (0)

btw, i really wanted to dump more $ into the house instead of getting 335, but sometimes stupid decision is a good one
flush01 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2007, 01:07 AM   #11
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
 
MoreCowbell's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 e92 335 Jet Black-Saddle
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,639
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flush01 View Post
but sometimes stupid decision is a good one
Like 7 figures on an apartment....
__________________
1997 Z3 3.0: Retired 2006 E90 330i: Retired 2007 E92 335: Retired
2009 E70 4.8: Totaled by Drunk Bitch
2011 E70 3.5D: Current
Space Gray w Black Nevada - Loaded!!!
MoreCowbell is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2007, 01:09 AM   #12
flush01
Major
 
Drives: 33m@%#ing5
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: toronto

Posts: 1,420
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluck75 View Post
Like 7 figures on an apartment....
ya i heard NYC has insane prices... here in t.o. you can get 4bedrooms/4bathrooms 2 car garage 3000 sq.ft. for around $550-600k... how much is it in NYC ?
flush01 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2007, 09:05 AM   #13
dr335is
Brigadier General
 
Drives: GTI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,973
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluck75 View Post
Come on now...first off, the guy works hard. I'm 31, and I have never owned a damn thing.

It's about priorities. At age 22, I would have chosen the car over Real Estate as well, and i'm sure just about almost everyone on the board, when they were 22 would have made that same choice.

Let's also realize this. Let's say that his car payment is $500 a month. That's 6k per year. If he wants to live in NYC, his mortgage payment will be around 3g a month for the smallest livable apartment. So he delays his real estate purchase for a 2 months...it's a good trade-off in my book, but to each his own.

Also,he is 22. If he wants to buy real estate, at favorable terms, he is going to have to establish some "hard" credit. The Bimmer does that for him.

There is a trend on this board, that has been here for the year I have been a member, to flame young BMW owners. And i've been part of that because I think a lot of the sub-25 year olds got the car from mommy and daddy(an utter disgrace) but that's not what happened here.

The guy is also doing a damn fine job at selling me my first mortgage, which hopefully I will be signing any day now.
Well said.

Though, the point is not a $500 BMW payment only. THe point is in priorities. Usually, at the age of 22 if you have a Bimmer, you allowed yourself some other luxuries and you're very much stretched. Therefore, it is about priorities, and the car should definitely be behind the house.

Also, if he's asking us about the advice on the first home, I doubt he can shell out %6k per month for what you called a NYC home.

The bottom line is that you have some ways to get into the first house with not much money up front. But I would suggest a modest place with a great (appreciating) location. And patience, of course.
dr335is is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2007, 09:49 AM   #14
BrianJA
Private
 
BrianJA's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 Audi RS4
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NYC

Posts: 77
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flush01 View Post
ya i heard NYC has insane prices... here in t.o. you can get 4bedrooms/4bathrooms 2 car garage 3000 sq.ft. for around $550-600k... how much is it in NYC ?
For around $600k, you MIGHT be able to find a mediocre studio apt. somewhere.

NYC real estate sucks. I am also making the first moves on buying my own place. Renting is such a waste. I am tired of throwing money every month into rent and not having anything to show for it.
BrianJA is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2007, 10:02 AM   #15
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
 
CnoteMD's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 1,035
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
There are a lot of ways to achieve home ownership without having to save for a large downpayment. But my advice is to sacrifice a few luxuries until you reach your goal. For example, I refused to buy my first BMW until I had already made 6 months of payments on my condo.

Also, you can always opt for an 80/20 mortgage (or many other variations such as 80/10/10 or 80/15/5) in order to lower your downpayment and still avoid PMI. I used this same strategy in early 2005 and was able to refinance my place, which also paid off the 2nd mortgage (HELOC), and still left me with over 20% in equity. In this scenario, you can buy a home and only need to pay closing costs (and the only requirement is 5% of the purchase price in cash reserves - and retirement account assets count).

Just decide how long you plan on living in the home. If it's going to be short term, get a ARM about 2 yrs longer than you expect to live there. Otherwise, get a fixed rate mortgage. Also, avoid interest-only mortgages (too many of them end up in foreclosure).
__________________
2008 BMW 535i Space Gray, Black Leather, Dark Bamboo Trim| Sport Automatic with Paddles | Sport Package
2008 BMW M5 (gone, but not forgotten) Space Gray, Silverstone Merino Leather, Madeira Walnut Wood Trim | 7speed SMG | All options
Mods: Corsa Exhaust | RPI Ram Air Intake | H&R Sport Springs | Rogue Engineering 12mm spacers
CnoteMD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2007, 10:05 AM   #16
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
 
CnoteMD's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 1,035
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianJA View Post
For around $600k, you MIGHT be able to find a mediocre studio apt. somewhere.

NYC real estate sucks. I am also making the first moves on buying my own place. Renting is such a waste. I am tired of throwing money every month into rent and not having anything to show for it.
You are absolutely right. Thats why I moved across the river to NJ. I have a view that rivals almost any place in NYC for maybe 1/3 of the cost (and over twice the *******.
__________________
2008 BMW 535i Space Gray, Black Leather, Dark Bamboo Trim| Sport Automatic with Paddles | Sport Package
2008 BMW M5 (gone, but not forgotten) Space Gray, Silverstone Merino Leather, Madeira Walnut Wood Trim | 7speed SMG | All options
Mods: Corsa Exhaust | RPI Ram Air Intake | H&R Sport Springs | Rogue Engineering 12mm spacers
CnoteMD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2007, 10:31 AM   #17
BrianJA
Private
 
BrianJA's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 Audi RS4
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NYC

Posts: 77
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnoteMD View Post
You are absolutely right. Thats why I moved across the river to NJ. I have a view that rivals almost any place in NYC for maybe 1/3 of the cost (and over twice the *******.
Where are you in NJ that has a view? I lived in Jersey City a few years ago when I first got out of school. They sure are doing a lot of building over there!

Right now I am in Brooklyn. Still expensive, though not as bad as Manhattan. My problem is that I am renting a killer apartment right now and feel that if I were to buy something it would likely be a step down from where I am currently living. Very torn.
BrianJA is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2007, 10:32 AM   #18
darkcloud
Colonel
 
darkcloud's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 VW JSW
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: cleveland, oh

Posts: 2,387
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to darkcloud
I'm 23, and I'm very fortunate to have a great job. I'm currently growing my family business, which has already in 6/mo gone up 50-100k in the year due to better productivity and communication with our clients. I'll be around 100k this year in earnings as well.

Anyways I've been saving since about March 06 and have 12k set aside towards a house and just opened a Roth IRA which I'm putting in $100 a month. My next step will be a money market which would support my car downpayments and emergency funds. My student loans are 7/mos from being paid off, a house will be purchased by mid summer and I have to buy a ring as well in the next couple months.

I got the bimmer cuz I wanted it. Sure I could have saved maybe $100-200 a month w/o the BMW, but it's what I wanted and as far as anyone can tell me I'm only living once so I figured why wait?

Overall with some decent planning, decent savings, and the occasional new car to fulfill my desire haha I should be fairly well set up by my early 30's.
__________________

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
darkcloud is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2007, 10:36 AM   #19
dr335is
Brigadier General
 
Drives: GTI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,973
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
I'm 23, and I'm very fortunate to have a great job. I'm currently growing my family business, which has already in 6/mo gone up 50-100k in the year due to better productivity and communication with our clients. I'll be around 100k this year in earnings as well.

Anyways I've been saving since about March 06 and have 12k set aside towards a house and just opened a Roth IRA which I'm putting in $100 a month. My next step will be a money market which would support my car downpayments and emergency funds. My student loans are 7/mos from being paid off, a house will be purchased by mid summer and I have to buy a ring as well in the next couple months.

I got the bimmer cuz I wanted it. Sure I could have saved maybe $100-200 a month w/o the BMW, but it's what I wanted and as far as anyone can tell me I'm only living once so I figured why wait?

Overall with some decent planning, decent savings, and the occasional new car to fulfill my desire haha I should be fairly well set up by my early 30's.
Great!

There you go, smart planning and maturity can get you there. The other question is if you want it at the age of 22 or 32...
dr335is is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2007, 10:43 AM   #20
darkcloud
Colonel
 
darkcloud's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 VW JSW
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: cleveland, oh

Posts: 2,387
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to darkcloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
Great!

There you go, smart planning and maturity can get you there. The other question is if you want it at the age of 22 or 32...
That's the nicest/smartest thing you've ever said . Sorry for getting on you in that other thread, it was a bad day.

I actually want it all NOW, but I can wait a few more years. Better at 30 then 50 . I wanna do euro delivery in 2 years too, the g/f is down cuz she'll get a trip to europe haha, just gotta save a few pennies in the meantime.
__________________

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
darkcloud is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2007, 11:10 AM   #21
dr335is
Brigadier General
 
Drives: GTI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,973
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
That's the nicest/smartest thing you've ever said . Sorry for getting on you in that other thread, it was a bad day.

I actually want it all NOW, but I can wait a few more years. Better at 30 then 50 . I wanna do euro delivery in 2 years too, the g/f is down cuz she'll get a trip to europe haha, just gotta save a few pennies in the meantime.
It wasn't my intent to piss anyone off...just stating an opinion. Sorry if I went a bit far, I know it is a touchy subject. After all, the internet posts should not piss anyone off...who knows, I may just be a dumb 17-year-old pretending to be someone else...

Anyway, looks like you have it planned right. Remember, if you plan for the family (kids) that will change things a lot. Sure, I want that 335 + Xede, and I could probably comfortably afford it, but...I like what I have and especially because it is paid off. Again, the priorities. In your case, you're doing great by prioritizing things.

Good luck.
dr335is is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2007, 09:36 PM   #22
Couch
Colonel
 
Couch's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Houston

Posts: 2,903
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Couch
Not buying a house for a few years, and I find a job where I can afford to build a custom home. Exactly what I want, nothing less, nothing more.

Just renting from a friend, we actually just moved in over the weekend. Nothing like being closer to work, but closer to the ghetto. I think I actually appreciate living with my parents even more now. A safe place where I don't feel worried. Now I think I'm gonna buy a gun and get my concealed license.
Couch is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST