BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-14-2009, 05:54 AM   #1
vtm3
Private First Class
 
vtm3's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 aw/cf m3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Richmond

Posts: 159
iTrader: (0)

The Gong

I just upgraded to a pdx 4.100 for all my mids and will be adding another amp and sws 8's shortly. With just the pdx added the speakers sound really good, you can tell the subs are weak running off the oem amp. My question and concern is the GONG warning alarm. I found where to turn it down on the oem radio, but it seems extremely obnoxiuos since i put the new amp in. Is there anything else to do to it without causing other problems? I also hear a very faint crackling sound as the gong is going off. I don't know if it was there before, becasue I don't think I paid that much attention to it.
vtm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2009, 08:59 AM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,781
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtm3 View Post
I just upgraded to a pdx 4.100 for all my mids and will be adding another amp and sws 8's shortly. With just the pdx added the speakers sound really good, you can tell the subs are weak running off the oem amp. My question and concern is the GONG warning alarm. I found where to turn it down on the oem radio, but it seems extremely obnoxiuos since i put the new amp in. Is there anything else to do to it without causing other problems? I also hear a very faint crackling sound as the gong is going off. I don't know if it was there before, becasue I don't think I paid that much attention to it.
How is your connection done between the OEM HU/CCC and the PDX?
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2009, 09:29 AM   #3
A/J
Private
 
A/J's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: London

Posts: 60
iTrader: (0)

how do u turn down the gong in the oem radio?
A/J is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2009, 08:34 PM   #4
vtm3
Private First Class
 
vtm3's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 aw/cf m3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Richmond

Posts: 159
iTrader: (0)

Technic,
A 4 channel line out converter. I also notice a hiss when you enter the vehicle. Whatever power kicks on when you enter or hit any button on the key, also powers up the amp. Any ideas.
vtm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2009, 08:35 PM   #5
vtm3
Private First Class
 
vtm3's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 aw/cf m3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Richmond

Posts: 159
iTrader: (0)

And the gong is turned down with the audio button and it is almost all the way to the right.
vtm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2009, 09:13 PM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,781
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtm3 View Post
Technic,
A 4 channel line out converter. I also notice a hiss when you enter the vehicle. Whatever power kicks on when you enter or hit any button on the key, also powers up the amp. Any ideas.
I would guess that you do not have iDrive, and much less the Premium Sound. So if that is the case...
- remove that LOC.
- get a pair of these: http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...l.php?cat_id=5

Connect those cables straight to the OEM HU speaker outputs, and then connect the RCA's directly to the PDX... it accepts differential signals. Adjust PDX gain to "gong"/music taste. Use OEM remote signal to turn on your PDX.

That should fix all your issues. If hiss still is a problem after removing the passive LOC then consider adding a proper differential line driver between the OEM HU and the PDX, adjust the line driver gain and leave the PDX gain at absolute minimum.
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2009, 10:24 PM   #7
vtm3
Private First Class
 
vtm3's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 aw/cf m3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Richmond

Posts: 159
iTrader: (0)

Correct. I have base audio. Thanks. I will try it tomorrow.
vtm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2009, 06:31 PM   #8
vtm3
Private First Class
 
vtm3's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 aw/cf m3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Richmond

Posts: 159
iTrader: (0)

Finally! A bad PDX replaced and I have great sounding mids. I now want to use a 2nd pdx 4.100 for the subs. I already have the amp, what should I do?
1. For now run the OEM subs from two of the four channels with the plan to replace with the sws 8's? Then bridge the amp to run 200w rms.
2. Or run the current subs off two channels of the pdx at 100w rms and have a rockford fosgate P3L-S12 in the truck off a bridged 200W channel?
vtm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2009, 07:38 PM   #9
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,781
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtm3 View Post
Finally! A bad PDX replaced and I have great sounding mids. I now want to use a 2nd pdx 4.100 for the subs. I already have the amp, what should I do?
1. For now run the OEM subs from two of the four channels with the plan to replace with the sws 8's? Then bridge the amp to run 200w rms.
2. Or run the current subs off two channels of the pdx at 100w rms and have a rockford fosgate P3L-S12 in the truck off a bridged 200W channel?
Wow... I used to have a bad PDX as well.

Either option will be great, just be gentle with the OEM subs while you get the SWS-8. The PDX 4.100 in reality puts out around 120W RMS per channel...
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2009, 08:27 PM   #10
ismelllikepoop
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: m3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: pooptown

Posts: 325
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Wow... I used to have a bad PDX as well.

Either option will be great, just be gentle with the OEM subs while you get the SWS-8. The PDX 4.100 in reality puts out around 120W RMS per channel...
hmm i've been waiting to upgrade my system, but are the pdx's really not that reliable? i want the stealth setup with it in the little cd-changer compartment but if there is a chance of inducing hiss there's no way i would want to do it
ismelllikepoop is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2009, 08:44 PM   #11
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,781
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ismelllikepoop View Post
hmm i've been waiting to upgrade my system, but are the pdx's really not that reliable? i want the stealth setup with it in the little cd-changer compartment but if there is a chance of inducing hiss there's no way i would want to do it
In my case, I have bought three PDX (one 4.150 and two 4.100) and so far only one was bad. And it is no coincidence that the one that was bad did not have an official "birth sheet", a piece of paper that certify that the amp was tested by Alpine and showing the power output results. So most probably it was a vendor remanufactured/reshuffled PDX to look like new.

That bad PDX was returned to vendor for "warranty" work and after two months of not knowing what was going on with it I just cancelled the credit card charges and bought a new one from a much better vendor. So far my system have very little hiss but it is coming from the Cleansweep (expected when its Master Volume is not used) and not from either of the PDX installed.
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2009, 08:57 PM   #12
vtm3
Private First Class
 
vtm3's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 aw/cf m3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Richmond

Posts: 159
iTrader: (0)

I don't know how to respond to this. After much trouble my system sounds great. I had a bad amp that took a long time to figure out the problem. In the end I would say it has been worth it.
vtm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST