BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-14-2009, 09:20 AM   #23
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 11,099
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS4 View Post
Here's another interesting 10" possibility.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=106

I ran a quick simulation last night between the the SWS-8, the Elate 9, the SWS-10 and that SQ10 using WinISD and the SWS-8 came up being the best performing in a .6ft³ ported volume, but that is expected as it is the smallest sub. However, in that same volume the SWS-10 is much better performing than the Elate 9 and the SQ10. The Elate 9 definitely is not a sub in any technical sense, as it dies around 50 Hz, while the other subs have at least an extra 10Hz down still available before the 3db drop.

Definitely a bigger volume than .6ft³ will be needed to get the SWS-10 working as a true sub for this to properly work.
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2009, 11:56 AM   #24
Hammer
Lieutenant
 
Hammer's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Germany, Cologne

Posts: 421
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Right now, your best and easiest to install combo is a sub in the trunk and a pair of SWS-8 under the seats. There also is the Audio System AX 08 BMW 20cm plug 'n play Subwoofer available in Germany, but I don't know how it compares with the SWS-8 in quality, only that it is a much lower power-handling sub (120W max vs. 300W max) than the SWS-8.

The woofers under the seats will take care of the strong low-midbass and the sub in the trunk of the stronger sub bass.

The discussion about installing 10" subs is just to compare ideas and possibilities of not having to install anything in the trunk and let those 2 10" under the seats do both the sub and mid bass duties. Any of the 10" shallow woofers discussed here will require a completely new and custom vented enclosure under the seats, though.
Great

I ll visit my dealer in february (this month is jammed with a lot of work) and follow your installation guide(or get some help). pictures will follow(in a month)
Hammer is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2009, 12:35 PM   #25
808MGuy
Colonel
 
808MGuy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

Posts: 2,282
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I ran a quick simulation last night between the the SWS-8, the Elate 9, the SWS-10 and that SQ10 using WinISD and the SWS-8 came up being the best performing in a .6ft³ ported volume, but that is expected as it is the smallest sub. However, in that same volume the SWS-10 is much better performing than the Elate 9 and the SQ10. The Elate 9 definitely is not a sub in any technical sense, as it dies around 50 Hz, while the other subs have at least an extra 10Hz down still available before the 3db drop.

Definitely a bigger volume than .6ft³ will be needed to get the SWS-10 working as a true sub for this to properly work.
Did you do any sims in an IB type enclosure? I usually simulate it as a very large sealed enclosure. I think as long as you use a number > 10x VAS, that would be a good representation of IB.
__________________
09 E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Black Novillo / Sycamore Anthracite / Eibach / HRE

808MGuy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2009, 02:27 PM   #26
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 11,099
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS4 View Post
Did you do any sims in an IB type enclosure? I usually simulate it as a very large sealed enclosure. I think as long as you use a number > 10x VAS, that would be a good representation of IB.
I did not try any IB sim... will try tonight.
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2009, 12:39 PM   #27
Hammer
Lieutenant
 
Hammer's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Germany, Cologne

Posts: 421
iTrader: (0)

Hey, i m back

Just visited a local Hifi-Dealer and asked for a offer and some advise.

he told me to take a sub in the drunk with amp (the underseat-woofers wont be effective as far as expirienced).

Thats the offer:

-SUBWOOFER 25 EMPHASER EBR110T4
10'' T4-Woofer, Chassi build of 20mm MDF
299,00€

-AMP 1K AMPIRE M800.1
one channel digital amplifier
1x 500 Watt RMS at 4 Ohm @ 13,8 Volt
1x 800 Watt RMS at 2 Ohm @ 13,8 Volt
299,00€

Hi/Lo Adapter+ Remote Adapter, Cables+Basicstuff
15+20+20 = 55€

Thats it.
Would you recommend a buy? (His4, Technic and all the others here)
Any suggestions?
Hammer is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2009, 01:05 PM   #28
808MGuy
Colonel
 
808MGuy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

Posts: 2,282
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Hey, i m back

Just visited a local Hifi-Dealer and asked for a offer and some advise.

he told me to take a sub in the drunk with amp (the underseat-woofers wont be effective as far as expirienced).

Thats the offer:

-SUBWOOFER 25 EMPHASER EBR110T4
10'' T4-Woofer, Chassi build of 20mm MDF
299,00€

-AMP 1K AMPIRE M800.1
one channel digital amplifier
1x 500 Watt RMS at 4 Ohm @ 13,8 Volt
1x 800 Watt RMS at 2 Ohm @ 13,8 Volt
299,00€

Hi/Lo Adapter+ Remote Adapter, Cables+Basicstuff
15+20+20 = 55€

Thats it.
Would you recommend a buy? (His4, Technic and all the others here)
Any suggestions?
Hard to say since I'm not familiar with any of those brands. Is a sub in the trunk really what you want or would you prefer replacing the underseat subs? If you'd really prefer the underseat subs, I would keep shopping for an installer that's willing to work with you instead of just throwing a bunch of their equipment at you. Ask him to see pictures of installs he's done on similar cars to see if he really has any experience working on M3s or if he's just trying to make a quick buck off of you.
__________________
09 E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Black Novillo / Sycamore Anthracite / Eibach / HRE

808MGuy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2009, 05:59 AM   #29
MrHarris
yodog
 
MrHarris's Avatar
 
Drives: '86 Corolla
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Diamond Bar, Ca

Posts: 5,037
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS4 View Post
Hard to say since I'm not familiar with any of those brands. Is a sub in the trunk really what you want or would you prefer replacing the underseat subs? If you'd really prefer the underseat subs, I would keep shopping for an installer that's willing to work with you instead of just throwing a bunch of their equipment at you. Ask him to see pictures of installs he's done on similar cars to see if he really has any experience working on M3s or if he's just trying to make a quick buck off of you.
+1, they could be just saying that so they can add a bunch of extra things you'd need to buy..
__________________

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
MrHarris is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST