BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
PYSPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-08-2009, 11:19 AM   #1
Heat00
Major
 
Heat00's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Weston, Florida

Posts: 1,027
iTrader: (0)

me vs. GTR this morning

sort of...

So I'm leaving my house, I'm 1 car back and a white GT-R is at the front to the right at a stop light before the turn close to on ramp of 75.
I had a feeling it was on but we had to turn a corner first and both get around this honda that was in the way lol...

anyhow, I was in thrid already and not knowing if we were going for sure, I left it in 3rd and punched it. I think he went to 2nd and took off. It was hard to catch up but towards the end of 3rd gear at about 7k I was slowly gaining some ground, I think lol.

not really a true run from a stop or even side by side, but fun nonetheless.

This thing had graphics down the side, aftermarket exhaust for sure, and who knows what else.....it was loud as hec.

turns out my neighbor knows the guy and he claims it runs high 10's... whatever, I hope I catch him at a light side by side soon, just for fun. I'm not expecting to win however when launched right from a stop in M mode, she will at least command respect!!!!!!!

the GTR also had rims, this was one mean looking machine!
__________________
08 - M3 Sparkling Graphite/blk leather/tech/6 speed
08 - 335i Sport/Prem/Auto White/Terra - AA Exhaust
07 Acura MDX Tech, 07 G35S /Nav

Heat00 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
 
MMMorish's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto

Posts: 2,836
iTrader: (5)

I have, and always will think it's ugly!!
__________________
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
MMMorish is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
Ryan(e92)
Captain
 
Drives: SG M6 coupe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Newport Beach

Posts: 704
iTrader: (6)

Ugly is a tad harsh. Ive seen a few on the streets and they look pretty good in motion
Ryan(e92) is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2009, 02:27 PM   #4
itz16v
Lieutenant
 
itz16v's Avatar
 
Drives: 997 Turbo///E63 AMG
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Socal/Ko'Olina

Posts: 479
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via Yahoo to itz16v
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan(e92) View Post
Ugly is a tad harsh. Ive seen a few on the streets and they look pretty good in motion

+1...
itz16v is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2009, 02:44 PM   #5
doba_s
Major General
 
doba_s's Avatar
 
Drives: M3, 1M
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 6,101
iTrader: (26)

Send a message via Skype™ to doba_s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan(e92) View Post
Ugly is a tad harsh. Ive seen a few on the streets and they look pretty good in motion
+1 ... it is different and has unique look ... not a bad looking car ...
doba_s is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2009, 04:10 PM   #6
spearfisher
Lieutenant
 
spearfisher's Avatar
 
Drives: C6 ZO6
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: FL

Posts: 409
iTrader: (0)

nice story, the GTR really shines off the line and in the corners, you did well on the roll, once they loose launch control their 0-60 and 1/4 miles times won't be as impressive, but they still will be a great track car.

just don't like the warranty issues
spearfisher is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2009, 04:11 PM   #7
Doc
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 M3 AW/Blk sunroof 19s
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

Posts: 288
iTrader: (0)

Its a sight to behold first hand.. compared to older versions its huge.. but if they fix the gearbox it is an awesome car
Doc is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2009, 04:49 PM   #8
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
 
Robin_NL's Avatar
 
Drives: AW 1M , Assetto Corsa
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Netherlands, Europe

Posts: 4,687
iTrader: (0)

Not seen one yet irl but I've been told it's huge compared to the 350/370Z.

A few RHD GT-Rs running here in Holland already.
Robin_NL is offline   Netherlands
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2009, 05:16 PM   #9
Heat00
Major
 
Heat00's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Weston, Florida

Posts: 1,027
iTrader: (0)

I have heard that the ride is unbelievably terrible.....
it's not so easy to come up with the total package like the M!!
__________________
08 - M3 Sparkling Graphite/blk leather/tech/6 speed
08 - 335i Sport/Prem/Auto White/Terra - AA Exhaust
07 Acura MDX Tech, 07 G35S /Nav

Heat00 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2009, 05:21 PM   #10
Irb Digital
Lieutenant
 
Irb Digital's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M E90 MANual Jerez
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: FL

Posts: 458
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Irb Digital
I don't see how you could have been reeling in a modded GTR. Stock ones trap in the 120's. You'd need a pretty good amount of extra hp to make that up. Unless he was granny shifting, and not double clutching, like he should.
__________________
WAR Hammy/McLaren F1 WDC 2010
Irb Digital is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2009, 05:32 PM   #11
Heat00
Major
 
Heat00's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Weston, Florida

Posts: 1,027
iTrader: (0)

well, I don't know if I was exactly reeling him in... we were not even close to side by side when starting from about 50 so its hard to tell what was really going on... perhaps he was letting off the gas a little, I don't know.

what I do know is, a good driver with a manual M3 should give a little fight to most people out there? We do have the advantage of engine size, perhaps that will help a bit when getting into the higher speeds?

Don't misunderstand, this guy took off like a bat out of hell and I wasn't going to overtake or catch up fully, just saying at about 100 or so and about 8000 I was slowly creeping up on him...

there was no shifting at all as unfortunately I was in third from the start and it was done at the end of 3rd. I'm almost positive he started in 2nd.

All I'm saying is it would have been fun to start at the light together from a start. I know it is faster but still fun to try!
__________________
08 - M3 Sparkling Graphite/blk leather/tech/6 speed
08 - 335i Sport/Prem/Auto White/Terra - AA Exhaust
07 Acura MDX Tech, 07 G35S /Nav

Heat00 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2009, 06:00 PM   #12
mixja
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Beverly Hils, CA

Posts: 783
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irb Digital View Post
I don't see how you could have been reeling in a modded GTR. Stock ones trap in the 120's. You'd need a pretty good amount of extra hp to make that up. Unless he was granny shifting, and not double clutching, like he should.
So how do you tell the GT-R DSG transmission to granny shift vs double clutch
mixja is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2009, 09:44 PM   #13
matt beard
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 09 AW/FR 6sp.E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Timberlane IL

Posts: 274
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat00 View Post
well, I don't know if I was exactly reeling him in... we were not even close to side by side when starting from about 50 so its hard to tell what was really going on... perhaps he was letting off the gas a little, I don't know.

what I do know is, a good driver with a manual M3 should give a little fight to most people out there? We do have the advantage of engine size, perhaps that will help a bit when getting into the higher speeds?

Don't misunderstand, this guy took off like a bat out of hell and I wasn't going to overtake or catch up fully, just saying at about 100 or so and about 8000 I was slowly creeping up on him...

there was no shifting at all as unfortunately I was in third from the start and it was done at the end of 3rd. I'm almost positive he started in 2nd.

All I'm saying is it would have been fun to start at the light together from a start. I know it is faster but still fun to try!
Why would it be fun to get destroyed by a big ugly Maxima.
matt beard is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2009, 10:34 PM   #14
Adonislike
Captain
 
Drives: Toyota Insight/Honda Prius
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Southern California

Posts: 842
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
I have, and always will think it's ugly!!
BEYOND ugly lol. I would say........putrid??
Adonislike is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2009, 06:03 AM   #15
Irb Digital
Lieutenant
 
Irb Digital's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M E90 MANual Jerez
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: FL

Posts: 458
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Irb Digital
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixja View Post
So how do you tell the GT-R DSG transmission to granny shift vs double clutch
I hope your joking. If you're not, go to your local video store and ask the guy for the greatest movie evar.
__________________
WAR Hammy/McLaren F1 WDC 2010
Irb Digital is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2009, 08:40 AM   #16
devo
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: .2GT3/335Cpe/991 GT3 coming
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: thinking about cars, girls and money, not necessarily in that order.

Posts: 1,942
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irb Digital View Post
I hope your joking. If you're not, go to your local video store and ask the guy for the greatest movie evar.
How does a double clutch transmission not shift like one!? And, what is "greatest movie evar (ever)"?
devo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2009, 08:52 AM   #17
ALUFELGEN
 
ALUFELGEN's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: South Florida

Posts: 2,059
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to ALUFELGEN Send a message via MSN to ALUFELGEN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat00 View Post
sort of...

So I'm leaving my house, I'm 1 car back and a white GT-R is at the front to the right at a stop light before the turn close to on ramp of 75.
I had a feeling it was on but we had to turn a corner first and both get around this honda that was in the way lol...

anyhow, I was in thrid already and not knowing if we were going for sure, I left it in 3rd and punched it. I think he went to 2nd and took off. It was hard to catch up but towards the end of 3rd gear at about 7k I was slowly gaining some ground, I think lol.

not really a true run from a stop or even side by side, but fun nonetheless.

This thing had graphics down the side, aftermarket exhaust for sure, and who knows what else.....it was loud as hec.

turns out my neighbor knows the guy and he claims it runs high 10's... whatever, I hope I catch him at a light side by side soon, just for fun. I'm not expecting to win however when launched right from a stop in M mode, she will at least command respect!!!!!!!

the GTR also had rims, this was one mean looking machine!
I think you had an encounter with VQ Motoring's GTR:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/V...997_185232.htm

ALUFELGEN is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2009, 11:41 AM   #18
fll335
Major
 
fll335's Avatar
 
Drives: C6 Z06, X5M
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: FL

Posts: 1,198
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
How does a double clutch transmission not shift like one!? And, what is "greatest movie evar (ever)"?
Little help for U

fll335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2009, 04:53 PM   #19
mixja
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Beverly Hils, CA

Posts: 783
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irb Digital View Post
I hope your joking. If you're not, go to your local video store and ask the guy for the greatest movie evar.
I assumed this thread is talking about an R35 GT-R - Heat00, what type of GT-R was it?

Where I come from GT-Rs from R32 to R35 are a dime a dozen and I've raced many on the track (in an STI Spec C). They are very overrated - only the R32 and the R34 Nur Spec are anything to fear (on a track)...the rest are too heavy...
mixja is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2009, 05:04 PM   #20
Ryan(e92)
Captain
 
Drives: SG M6 coupe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Newport Beach

Posts: 704
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
Not seen one yet irl but I've been told it's huge compared to the 350/370Z.

A few RHD GT-Rs running here in Holland already.
That is a correct statement. They always looked big in pictures to me so it wasnt that much of a shock when I first saw one. They are huge compared to the 350/370Z.
Ryan(e92) is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2009, 06:08 PM   #21
Heat00
Major
 
Heat00's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Weston, Florida

Posts: 1,027
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AluFelgen View Post
I think you had an encounter with VQ Motoring's GTR:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/V...997_185232.htm


I believe that was the car in the first video....
__________________
08 - M3 Sparkling Graphite/blk leather/tech/6 speed
08 - 335i Sport/Prem/Auto White/Terra - AA Exhaust
07 Acura MDX Tech, 07 G35S /Nav

Heat00 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2009, 02:49 AM   #22
gmachala404
New Member
 
Drives: 08 BMW M3 Interlagos Blue
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Birmingham, AL

Posts: 21
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doba_s View Post
+1 ... it is different and has unique look ... not a bad looking car ...
Nissan 370Z is better looking in my opinion. If Nissan just turbo'd the 370Z! The GTR just is too much like a Playstation prize car to me. The bad thing about this car is it appeals exactly to those who can least afford it. I wish them luck selling this car after the new wears off.
gmachala404 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST