BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Race Precision Motorsport

01-07-2009, 01:36 PM   #1
ty50

Drives: 08 M3 JetBlack\Blacknovillo

sws-8 sub ????part #

i noticed at the FederalStereo site that they sell an 8 inch woofer(SWS8)

and an 8 inch subwoofer(EQ-SWS8). prices are different and minimal description(unless i overlooked)

I'm assuming the EQ-SWS8 8 inch SUBwoofer is the correct part.??
x2obviously.

just want to be sure.
and is this THE site to order these from? re.price?
thanx
      01-07-2009, 05:07 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General

Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty50 View Post
i noticed at the FederalStereo site that they sell an 8 inch woofer(SWS8)

and an 8 inch subwoofer(EQ-SWS8). prices are different and minimal description(unless i overlooked)

I'm assuming the EQ-SWS8 8 inch SUBwoofer is the correct part.??
x2obviously.

just want to be sure.
and is this THE site to order these from? re.price?
thanx
These are the SWS-8 that fit in the OEM enclosures: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-EARTHQUAKE-S...3A1%7C294%3A50

Just by looking at the pictures of the EQ-SWS-8, it seems to me that it is the generic (round) version of the oval frame SWS-8. The oval frame SWS-8 is an almost-perfect fit in the OEM enclosures.

If you are planning to run an aftermarket amp with these SWS-8 you could order either the 2 ohms or the 4 ohms version if you are going to run them in stereo or get them only in 4 ohms if your set up will be in mono.

The aftermarket amp should be stable at 2 ohms for either 2 ohms configuration to work reliably.

If you are planning to run these SWS-8 with the base OEM amp, you should order the 2 ohms version.

No SWS-8 can be run reliably by the OEM Premium amp.
Technic is offline   United_States
      01-09-2009, 08:23 PM   #3
ty50

Drives: 08 M3 JetBlack\Blacknovillo

hey tech, i must commend you on first your generosity with your knowledge and also your replies are solid. many times people(other forums) are all over the place while explaining something and it can often be hard to follow.
everyone in here seems to be willing to help. cool.

so i now know the right subs, and i have demonstration that was shared on intalling these. I like to read this stuff more than once some times before i even get rollin. I'm still learning and really dont want anyone else doing this for me.

I'm going to look for some specifics on tap-in locations and wiring specifics and likely get started real soon. but another question.

could i start for now with just the subs, the sub amp, and a simple Loc for the subout wires? or do i need to turn the oem sub out signal to full first with my 3sixty for example.?

I hope that makes sense? the ?

thanx
      01-09-2009, 08:51 PM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General

Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty50 View Post
hey tech, i must commend you on first your generosity with your knowledge and also your replies are solid. many times people(other forums) are all over the place while explaining something and it can often be hard to follow.
everyone in here seems to be willing to help. cool.

so i now know the right subs, and i have demonstration that was shared on intalling these. I like to read this stuff more than once some times before i even get rollin. I'm still learning and really dont want anyone else doing this for me.

I'm going to look for some specifics on tap-in locations and wiring specifics and likely get started real soon. but another question.

could i start for now with just the subs, the sub amp, and a simple Loc for the subout wires? or do i need to turn the oem sub out signal to full first with my 3sixty for example.?

I hope that makes sense? the ?

thanx
That's what I like about this forum... there are some guys here that are virtual professors in their areas and don't have any issues answering questions in full and with proof.

You could start with the SWS-8, the sub amp and either the Navone high power LOC discussed here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197735 or you can start hooking up the 3SIXTY.2 in New Setup mode with just the underseat woofers OEM amp outputs as the front 3SIXTY.2 inputs. Then set the 3SIXTY.2 front outputs without any filtering (just pass thru), as you still will be using the OEM amp active crossover for the woofers. Otherwise you will introduce "holes" or overlap signal frequencies.

Either way it should work to drive the SWS-8 reliably with an aftermarkey amp until you get the 3SIXTY.2 to drive your whole system.
Technic is offline   United_States