BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
VIBE Motorsports
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-29-2016, 06:24 PM   #1
eyanez1230
Private
eyanez1230's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
82
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Mixed regular water instead of distilled to top off coolant

Hey all,

My car needed some coolant to be topped off so I mixed some OEM BMW Blue coolant with regular tap water since I did not have distilled water. In total I used about 1 quart to top off. Within that 1 quarter was 50% water, 50% coolant.

Should I be worried? I don't plan on doing a coolant flush to get rid of the tap water, but want to get everyone's input. I'm sure the car will evaporate some of this and I'll need to top it off again sometime in the near future, and that time I will use distilled water, but would appreciate some input.

Thanks!
__________________
2013 E92 M3 ZCP
2011 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS
1984 Nissan 300zx Turbo - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 06:50 PM   #2
bkdore
Private First Class
bkdore's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
131
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 ZCP 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Tap water varies from place to place and could have minerals or other solids in it that could settle out and could block cooling passages in the radiator or engine. I seriously doubt a quart is going to significantly cause you any issues.
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2016, 07:57 PM   #3
nick3753
Captain
69
Rep
842
Posts

Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fresno,CA

iTrader: (0)

I hope you don't live in Flint!
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2016, 08:47 PM   #4
eyanez1230
Private
eyanez1230's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
82
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick3753 View Post
I hope you don't live in Flint!
Nah I'm in Los Angeles
__________________
2013 E92 M3 ZCP
2011 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS
1984 Nissan 300zx Turbo - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 09:07 PM   #5
serranot
Second Lieutenant
serranot's Avatar
14
Rep
284
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Falls Church, VA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
I always wondered about this. I used distilled water for my auto maintenance for years. Then I got to thinking -- an automotive engine block is not an operating room. So, I can't really see how using distilled vs regular tap water, given the environment, is going to matter one whit. I would like to see an actual test vs conjecture and theories. While the theories make logical sense, I'm guessing in the real world you can use tap water and it will be just fine.
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2016, 09:31 PM   #6
Killerfish2012
Colonel
75
Rep
2,177
Posts

Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyanez1230 View Post
Hey all,

My car needed some coolant to be topped off so I mixed some OEM BMW Blue coolant with regular tap water since I did not have distilled water. In total I used about 1 quart to top off. Within that 1 quarter was 50% water, 50% coolant.

Should I be worried? I don't plan on doing a coolant flush to get rid of the tap water, but want to get everyone's input. I'm sure the car will evaporate some of this and I'll need to top it off again sometime in the near future, and that time I will use distilled water, but would appreciate some input.

Thanks!
Will probably not do any harm, but don't make it a habit. Distilled water is so cheap at the grocery store, that it makes no sense not to go get some.
__________________
E90 335I: FBO +wavetrac LSD
E92 M3: K&N, Rouge Engineering Pulleys, Macht Schnell Test Pipes, Evolve Tune, Hawk Street-Race Pads, V1
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2016, 12:43 AM   #7
White 13
Second Lieutenant
15
Rep
244
Posts

Drives: A 2013 Alpine White E92
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: N Cal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyanez1230 View Post
Hey all,

My car needed some coolant to be topped off so I mixed some OEM BMW Blue coolant with regular tap water since I did not have distilled water. In total I used about 1 quart to top off. Within that 1 quarter was 50% water, 50% coolant.

Should I be worried? I don't plan on doing a coolant flush to get rid of the tap water, but want to get everyone's input. I'm sure the car will evaporate some of this and I'll need to top it off again sometime in the near future, and that time I will use distilled water, but would appreciate some input.

Thanks!
I would not worry if it was mine. Some well water may be worse but LA probably is not terrible. Next time have some distilled on hand and not have to worry.

But these should not be evaporating water much if any at all. Not to cause undue concern but I would be wondering where the coolant went. Might want to check for a leak or worse would be an internal leak.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2016, 08:03 AM   #8
Redd
Private First Class
29
Rep
186
Posts

Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Malaysia

iTrader: (0)

People were putting tap water in engines long before distilled/filtered water was commonly available. Don't worry about it.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2016, 11:18 PM   #9
bigjae1976
Major General
bigjae1976's Avatar
224
Rep
6,397
Posts

Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wichita, KS

iTrader: (14)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Unless you plan to follow the lifetime fill claims of BMW, shouldn't be an issue.
__________________
2015 F34 328iX GT Glacier Silver
2011 E90 M3 Monte Carlo Blue
2004 E46 M3 Imola Red
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2016, 11:59 AM   #10
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
330
Rep
1,611
Posts

Drives: e92 m3
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: AZ

iTrader: (0)

Bmw dealer I had doa coolant change said they use tap water to fill it up after a drain so I wouldn't be concerned
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2016, 01:02 PM   #11
eyanez1230
Private
eyanez1230's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
82
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdore View Post
Tap water varies from place to place and could have minerals or other solids in it that could settle out and could block cooling passages in the radiator or engine. I seriously doubt a quart is going to significantly cause you any issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick3753 View Post
I hope you don't live in Flint!
Quote:
Originally Posted by serranot View Post
I always wondered about this. I used distilled water for my auto maintenance for years. Then I got to thinking -- an automotive engine block is not an operating room. So, I can't really see how using distilled vs regular tap water, given the environment, is going to matter one whit. I would like to see an actual test vs conjecture and theories. While the theories make logical sense, I'm guessing in the real world you can use tap water and it will be just fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post
Will probably not do any harm, but don't make it a habit. Distilled water is so cheap at the grocery store, that it makes no sense not to go get some.
Quote:
Originally Posted by White 13 View Post
I would not worry if it was mine. Some well water may be worse but LA probably is not terrible. Next time have some distilled on hand and not have to worry.

But these should not be evaporating water much if any at all. Not to cause undue concern but I would be wondering where the coolant went. Might want to check for a leak or worse would be an internal leak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
People were putting tap water in engines long before distilled/filtered water was commonly available. Don't worry about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Unless you plan to follow the lifetime fill claims of BMW, shouldn't be an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8600RPM View Post
Bmw dealer I had doa coolant change said they use tap water to fill it up after a drain so I wouldn't be concerned

Thanks all for the helpful replies; much appreciated it! Moving forward, I'll be using distilled water. Just picked some up from the store!
__________________
2013 E92 M3 ZCP
2011 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS
1984 Nissan 300zx Turbo - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 01:21 PM   #12
squartus
Captain
United_States
116
Rep
881
Posts

Drives: 2010 E92 M3 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mississippi

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 E92 BMW M3  [5.00]
Just make it a 1 time thing lol, I had a old beater Id just fill up with the hose. Had a slight leak.
Did that for about a month, looked in radiator and all the fins etc were covered with a layer of white minerals.
Does not take as much, or as long as you would think. Sure it depends on your water but where here in the south its no joke.
__________________


4.4L LC stroker/ESS VT2-625/Volk te37 sl's/AA exhaust/DSS Carbon Fiber driveshaft/ARH Headers.. etc
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2016, 08:53 AM   #13
doogee
Lieutenant
doogee's Avatar
Canada
81
Rep
511
Posts

Drives: '08 M3, '97 328is
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ancaster, ON, Canada

iTrader: (0)

You'll be okay, if it was a full flush with tap water I'd tell you to get it the hell out of there.

Engines these days are sensitive to minerals in the cooling system, it causes corrosion over time. It's easy to see on older engines when you take them apart whether they did proper flushes. Electrolysis happens, you get corrosion around mating surfaces, in the heater core etc.

This is why even coolant manufacturers have different types for different brands, they all use different metals that react differently.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 11:30 AM   #14
kb9uwu
Supreme Czar
kb9uwu's Avatar
United_States
191
Rep
788
Posts

Drives: AW E90 M3 6MT (GONE)
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Central Illinois

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick3753 View Post
I hope you don't live in Flint!
Why? Lead is an excellent lubricant. Would probably extend the life of the waterpump
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:47 AM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST