BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-02-2017, 02:57 PM   #1
elvism
Private First Class
elvism's Avatar
36
Rep
121
Posts

Drives: currently 2011 BMW M3 E90... H
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: jersey

iTrader: (0)

Heads up in case anyone is interested. Dinan has a sale on

all software.... Engine software $ 314 and DCT software is $134... These number are good until October 31
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2017, 03:17 PM   #2
sterile stork
coupe la goon
sterile stork's Avatar
United_States
99
Rep
1,346
Posts

Drives: green, black, white
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: pdx

iTrader: (22)

Garage List
Thank you for sharing the promotion! As a friendly note to the community, I would strongly discourage anyone from purchasing Dinan software for any vehicle. It was installed on my E61 and removing it has been a nightmare.

Unlike companies such as BPM, or Evolve, when working with Dinan the vehicle is flashed and all SW is maintained by the dealership/Dinan. Removal costs ~2-3 hours dealership labor, and locks the ECU.

I've paid for 5-hours of labor, across two different visits to the dealer, including assistance from BMW NA field service to re-program the whole vehicle and cannot get this off the vehicle! Thankfully BPM Sport has the technical know-how to tackle this
Appreciate 4
      10-02-2017, 03:20 PM   #3
Patrón
PAZUZU
Patrón's Avatar
United_States
249
Rep
1,717
Posts

Drives: ESS 625 DCT
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterile stork View Post
Thank you for sharing the promotion! As a friendly note to the community, I would strongly discourage anyone from purchasing Dinan software for any vehicle. It was installed on my E61 and removing it has been a nightmare.

Unlike companies such as BPM, or Evolve, when working with Dinan the vehicle is flashed and all SW is maintained by the dealership/Dinan. Removal costs ~2-3 hours dealership labor, and locks the ECU.

I've paid for 5-hours of labor, across two different visits to the dealer, including assistance from BMW NA field service to re-program the whole vehicle and cannot get this off the vehicle! Thankfully BPM Sport has the technical know-how to tackle this
that really sucks. why would you want to remove it?
__________________

ESS-625 TEXAS-M-CLUB/SAN ANTONIO
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 03:53 PM   #4
timothy2001
Captain
timothy2001's Avatar
United_States
163
Rep
686
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT ZCP
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 Mercedes E300  [0.00]
2011 M3 E92  [0.00]
One reason is that in states that require emission inspections it renders the vehicle incapable of passing. Dinan will tell you that you must successfully complete a drive cycle and the modules will set to ready. It’s BS.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 09:06 PM   #5
Patrón
PAZUZU
Patrón's Avatar
United_States
249
Rep
1,717
Posts

Drives: ESS 625 DCT
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy2001 View Post
One reason is that in states that require emission inspections it renders the vehicle incapable of passing. Dinan will tell you that you must successfully complete a drive cycle and the modules will set to ready. It’s BS.
That’s a very good point and solidifies why you should go w a tuner that has an end user ‘program’ that lets the user upload/download and read error codes.
__________________

ESS-625 TEXAS-M-CLUB/SAN ANTONIO
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 10:05 PM   #6
schnell1982
Lieutenant
105
Rep
514
Posts

Drives: FAST
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Temecula CA

iTrader: (0)

That's unfortunate.
Had smog last week on E60 M5 here in CA with Dinan flash tune.
Just did it last week.
Flashed ECU to stock with Autologic, smog car and re-program Dinan tune.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 10:18 PM   #7
elvism
Private First Class
elvism's Avatar
36
Rep
121
Posts

Drives: currently 2011 BMW M3 E90... H
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: jersey

iTrader: (0)

Why did you remove your Dinan software?? state emission test?? please elaborate? I live in NJ so I don't see any issue on my end?? The engine and dct software are the only upgrades planned on my car
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 02:38 AM   #8
roastbeef
Major General
roastbeef's Avatar
United_States
1585
Rep
6,230
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (1)

dinan's website says it is 50 state emissions legal. not sure why you would need to remove it...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 03:06 AM   #9
gordon@
Captain
gordon@'s Avatar
Canada
111
Rep
871
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: LAX/YYZ/HKG

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvism View Post
all software.... Engine software $ 314 and DCT software is $134... These number are good until October 31
Hows the Dinan flash? Seems like a good deal!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 07:15 AM   #10
pbonsalb
Brigadier General
534
Rep
4,467
Posts

Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

iTrader: (3)

I think the people having obd2 issues bought a different Dinan tune than the stage 1 that is on sale. The stage 1 is 50 state legal and will not affect obd2 inspection, but it also wont do anything you can feel other than raising the rpm limiter to 8600. I bought it earlier this year when it was on sale for $279. In hindsight, I should have paid twice as much for one off the non-Dinan tunes like the Alpine though I am not convinced any of these tunes really do much.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 08:09 AM   #11
elvism
Private First Class
elvism's Avatar
36
Rep
121
Posts

Drives: currently 2011 BMW M3 E90... H
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon@ View Post
Hows the Dinan flash? Seems like a good deal!
I will be getting DINAN installed in two weeks when I take my car in for an oil change. Two weeks ago I had my 2011 M3 software upgraded to the latest software offered by BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 09:39 AM   #12
Dinan_Engineering
Lieutenant Colonel
Dinan_Engineering's Avatar
United_States
941
Rep
1,750
Posts

Drives: Any BMW
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Morgan Hill, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterile stork View Post
Thank you for sharing the promotion! As a friendly note to the community, I would strongly discourage anyone from purchasing Dinan software for any vehicle. It was installed on my E61 and removing it has been a nightmare.

Unlike companies such as BPM, or Evolve, when working with Dinan the vehicle is flashed and all SW is maintained by the dealership/Dinan. Removal costs ~2-3 hours dealership labor, and locks the ECU.

I've paid for 5-hours of labor, across two different visits to the dealer, including assistance from BMW NA field service to re-program the whole vehicle and cannot get this off the vehicle! Thankfully BPM Sport has the technical know-how to tackle this
Removal simply requires the dealership or BMW shop to flash it to stock programming. Thats it. Its about as simple a procedure as there is unless there is other factors involved or the dealership itself is questionable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy2001 View Post
One reason is that in states that require emission inspections it renders the vehicle incapable of passing. Dinan will tell you that you must successfully complete a drive cycle and the modules will set to ready. It’s BS.
Only reason a Dinan tune wouldn't pass emissions readiness would be if you are using the middle exhaust tune (for the x-pipe/middle exhaust which removed CATs) which is no longer offered for exactly that reason. It was meant for RACE CARS only which no one ever abided by. Once the tune is reverted to the stage 1 or removed entirely and the CATs are re-installed then the modules will set to ready once a drive cycle is complete (but it takes some driving and time to check all of the "buckets" to get to that point).

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvism View Post
all software.... Engine software $ 314 and DCT software is $134... These number are good until October 31
Its not a sale. Its a permanent price drop. There is no end date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrón View Post
That’s a very good point and solidifies why you should go w a tuner that has an end user ‘program’ that lets the user upload/download and read error codes.
We also offer a self-install kit now (a bit extra to cover the cabling/hardware involved) that allows you to self install / flash back to stock whenever you desire. This is only available for stage 1 kits but for the E9x M3 that's the only option anyway.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2017, 10:58 AM   #13
pbonsalb
Brigadier General
534
Rep
4,467
Posts

Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvism View Post
I will be getting DINAN installed in two weeks when I take my car in for an oil change. Two weeks ago I had my 2011 M3 software upgraded to the latest software offered by BMW.
I have read that the Dinan tune is based on the older 231e software. I had just my engine software updated to 240e on my 08M3 a couple of years before the Dinan flash and noticed more of an improvement from the 240e than I did from the Dinan flash, which I think may have been based on older software.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 01:32 PM   #14
sterile stork
coupe la goon
sterile stork's Avatar
United_States
99
Rep
1,346
Posts

Drives: green, black, white
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: pdx

iTrader: (22)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrón View Post
that really sucks. why would you want to remove it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvism View Post
Why did you remove your Dinan software?? state emission test?? please elaborate? I live in NJ so I don't see any issue on my end?? The engine and dct software are the only upgrades planned on my car
I opted to remove as I wanted to consolidate all my vehicles onto one provider that afforded increased capability and self-install options.

What I will remark is that with the Dinan SW installed the vehicle has has zero issue when going through Oregon DEQ (plug-in OBD-II style.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Removal simply requires the dealership or BMW shop to flash it to stock programming. Thats it. Its about as simple a procedure as there is unless there is other factors involved or the dealership itself is questionable.
While that may be the claim, I can confirm that after two visits to the dealership (2-hours labor & a 3-hours labor, respectively) and print-outs from your UI stating that the SW is not on the car, the ECU remains locked and is unable to be read by other companies. What would be sincerely appreciated would be a white-paper from your group to be sent to your re-sellers on how to properly remove the SW.

I absolutely look to Dinan for hardware offerings on these and other BMWs, however based upon the experience with my E61 will stick to other tuning providers.

Last edited by sterile stork; 10-03-2017 at 01:38 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 02:51 PM   #15
elvism
Private First Class
elvism's Avatar
36
Rep
121
Posts

Drives: currently 2011 BMW M3 E90... H
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: jersey

iTrader: (0)

Dinan is this statement below true? I just had my 2011 upgraded to the latest software upgrade from BMW..I don't want to lose any of BMW's upgraded software. The last update by bmw was 2016. I have attached my upgrade info.

Dinan ---a member has stated this statement:

"I have read that the Dinan tune is based on the older 231e software. I had just my engine software updated to 240e on my 08M3 a couple of years before the Dinan flash and noticed more of an improvement from the 240e than I did from the Dinan flash, which I think may have been based on older software."










Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Removal simply requires the dealership or BMW shop to flash it to stock programming. Thats it. Its about as simple a procedure as there is unless there is other factors involved or the dealership itself is questionable.



Only reason a Dinan tune wouldn't pass emissions readiness would be if you are using the middle exhaust tune (for the x-pipe/middle exhaust which removed CATs) which is no longer offered for exactly that reason. It was meant for RACE CARS only which no one ever abided by. Once the tune is reverted to the stage 1 or removed entirely and the CATs are re-installed then the modules will set to ready once a drive cycle is complete (but it takes some driving and time to check all of the "buckets" to get to that point).



Its not a sale. Its a permanent price drop. There is no end date.



We also offer a self-install kit now (a bit extra to cover the cabling/hardware involved) that allows you to self install / flash back to stock whenever you desire. This is only available for stage 1 kits but for the E9x M3 that's the only option anyway.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 05:55 PM   #16
Dinan_Engineering
Lieutenant Colonel
Dinan_Engineering's Avatar
United_States
941
Rep
1,750
Posts

Drives: Any BMW
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Morgan Hill, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterile stork View Post
While that may be the claim, I can confirm that after two visits to the dealership (2-hours labor & a 3-hours labor, respectively) and print-outs from your UI stating that the SW is not on the car, the ECU remains locked and is unable to be read by other companies. What would be sincerely appreciated would be a white-paper from your group to be sent to your re-sellers on how to properly remove the SW.
We will just have to agree to disagree. No one in this building is aware of any way the DME can be locked as a result of using our software. There is potentially a Dinan lock on the DME (PCU/BCU) / VIN when programming but that is strictly a Dinan server side lock to protect our IP and has nothing to do with the actual DME which is unaffected. If you have a moment could you PM the name of the dealer involved and the last 7 of the VIN of the vehicle and I will at least do a cursory back-end check to see if something else was at play from the old records.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvism View Post
Dinan is this statement below true? I just had my 2011 upgraded to the latest software upgrade from BMW..I don't want to lose any of BMW's upgraded software. The last update by bmw was 2016. I have attached my upgrade info.

Dinan ---a member has stated this statement:

"I have read that the Dinan tune is based on the older 231e software. I had just my engine software updated to 240e on my 08M3 a couple of years before the Dinan flash and noticed more of an improvement from the 240e than I did from the Dinan flash, which I think may have been based on older software."
The Dinan software tune is not "based" on anything. The tune itself is the same regardless of what variant of the BMW software is on the car. When BMW updates the base software we move the tune adjustments over to the newer variant so that it is supported as well. We do not update the base software to 240e... we simply mate the tune to whatever base is on the vehicle.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2017, 06:18 PM   #17
jiggz
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
208
Rep
1,615
Posts

Drives: E90 M3|E70 X5 50i
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (1)

Great deals here, especially the DCT software. I have both the Dinan engine and DCT software, both made improvements, but thought the DCT made a bigger improvement.

My dealer charged me like 1/2 hour labor to install, no issues. Would recommend.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 07:55 PM   #18
k3silk
Captain
k3silk's Avatar
52
Rep
940
Posts

Drives: 11 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MD

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I think the people having obd2 issues bought a different Dinan tune than the stage 1 that is on sale. The stage 1 is 50 state legal and will not affect obd2 inspection, but it also wont do anything you can feel other than raising the rpm limiter to 8600. I bought it earlier this year when it was on sale for $279. In hindsight, I should have paid twice as much for one off the non-Dinan tunes like the Alpine though I am not convinced any of these tunes really do much.
Dinan only has the Stage 1 for the e92 now... No more Stage 2 is what I was told today.
__________________
11 AW e92///M3
08 AW e92 M3 SOLD
07 AW e92 335i SOLD
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 11:09 PM   #19
cenix
Captain
cenix's Avatar
United_States
220
Rep
843
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 ZCP, F15
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
The Dinan software tune is not "based" on anything. The tune itself is the same regardless of what variant of the BMW software is on the car. When BMW updates the base software we move the tune adjustments over to the newer variant so that it is supported as well. We do not update the base software to 240e... we simply mate the tune to whatever base is on the vehicle.
This is good to hear because if I recall, Mike Benvo stated that the Dinan tune reverts you to an older version of the DME software.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 11:17 PM   #20
elvism
Private First Class
elvism's Avatar
36
Rep
121
Posts

Drives: currently 2011 BMW M3 E90... H
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: jersey

iTrader: (0)

Dinan states above it does not revert

The Dinan software tune is not "based" on anything. The tune itself is the same regardless of what variant of the BMW software is on the car. When BMW updates the base software we move the tune adjustments over to the newer variant so that it is supported as well. We do not update the base software to 240e... we simply mate the tune to whatever base is on the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenix View Post
This is good to hear because if I recall, Mike Benvo stated that the Dinan tune reverts you to an older version of the DME software.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Great deals here, especially the DCT software. I have both the Dinan engine and DCT software, both made improvements, but thought the DCT made a bigger improvement.

My dealer charged me like 1/2 hour labor to install, no issues. Would recommend.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 02:28 PM   #21
sterile stork
coupe la goon
sterile stork's Avatar
United_States
99
Rep
1,346
Posts

Drives: green, black, white
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: pdx

iTrader: (22)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
We will just have to agree to disagree. No one in this building is aware of any way the DME can be locked as a result of using our software. There is potentially a Dinan lock on the DME (PCU/BCU) / VIN when programming but that is strictly a Dinan server side lock to protect our IP and has nothing to do with the actual DME which is unaffected. If you have a moment could you PM the name of the dealer involved and the last 7 of the VIN of the vehicle and I will at least do a cursory back-end check to see if something else was at play from the old records.
Thank you very much! I have sent the info requested.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 02:34 PM   #22
pbonsalb
Brigadier General
534
Rep
4,467
Posts

Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

iTrader: (3)

Let's say I had only the DMW software updated to 240E using autologic and the rest of the vehicle software on my 2008 remained original or perhaps was updated between 2008 and 2012 while it was dealer serviced. Would Dinan's search for the base reveal the updated DME software?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:19 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST