BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
Racewerkz Engineering
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-06-2009, 11:33 PM   #23
md80tom
Private
 
Drives: 2006 AW 330i
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland

Posts: 97
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
Most revmatching on daily driving downshifts is just mechanical masturbation done by young guys who want to feel like race car drivers and feel superior about their driving skills, but not actually doing anything beneficial.

what?
md80tom is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2009, 12:01 AM   #24
2kaccordocoupe
Colonel
 
2kaccordocoupe's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 335i E92 Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GTA

Posts: 2,685
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2009 e92 335i  [0.00]
This is almost like what a slipper clutch on a sport bike does. Except instead of rev matching a slipper prevents your rear wheel from locking up under abrubt downshifts by causing it to 'slip'.

On a bike it feels pretty cool and is a good feature. I will have to try it on the Z.
__________________
2009 335i E92 Coupe
Manual/Navigation/Executive/Audiophile/Sport/19s
Alpine White/Coral Red Dakota
2kaccordocoupe is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2009, 08:19 AM   #25
ChrisV
7er
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 BMW 740iL
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pikesville, MD

Posts: 410
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1998 740iL  [3.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtiTom View Post
what?
What it says. There is no need to rev match in daily driving in modern cars. It's only done by boy racers who want to look like they know how to drive a manual trans car in order to feel superior to people that either just drive normally in a manual trans car or who drive a car with an automatic. They do it to flog their egos and feel like they know what they are doing.
__________________
1998 740iL

ChrisV is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2009, 08:37 AM   #26
urbo73
Captain
 
Drives: cars
Join Date: May 2006
Location: USA

Posts: 652
iTrader: (0)

I don't understand this at all really. Why get a manual transmission if you want the car to do the work for you? It sort of defeats the point of having fun driving a manual. I for one hate the M3 incline assist (or whatever BMW calls it) where it hold the brakes for 2 seconds in a 6MT so you don't roll back...I mean WTF? It threw me off the first few times. If you have driven 6MTs, there's no need for that. So again, what is the point in that or this rev-matching thing? Are they trying to attract new buyers to manual transmissions? Seems odd..Or maybe just trying to help out people that can't drive them well. I'm certain it's the latter. Safety systems for people who can't drive properly..
urbo73 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2009, 09:26 AM   #27
M3NNIS
Colonel
 
M3NNIS's Avatar
 
Drives: a truck for now
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: DFW

Posts: 2,189
iTrader: (6)

Send a message via AIM to M3NNIS Send a message via MSN to M3NNIS
Alot of jelous people out there eh.

WTF this is a great feature, think about it people, if this was a bmw and you could add it to the car you have you would like it.

WTF would you want to heel toe when the car can do it for you, its not less of a driver, it enables the driver to focus on other things period. ITs an imporvement. technology FTW.
__________________
M3NNIS is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2009, 10:10 AM   #28
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
 
KonigsTiger's Avatar
 
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dweller

Posts: 4,398
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
What it says. There is no need to rev match in daily driving in modern cars. It's only done by boy racers who want to look like they know how to drive a manual trans car in order to feel superior to people that either just drive normally in a manual trans car or who drive a car with an automatic. They do it to flog their egos and feel like they know what they are doing.
Most of the time this is true, but its fun as hell to do and listen to the engine rev up. I love it.
__________________
==================================================
KonigsTiger is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2009, 02:09 PM   #29
urbo73
Captain
 
Drives: cars
Join Date: May 2006
Location: USA

Posts: 652
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschy View Post
Alot of jelous people out there eh.

WTF this is a great feature, think about it people, if this was a bmw and you could add it to the car you have you would like it.

WTF would you want to heel toe when the car can do it for you, its not less of a driver, it enables the driver to focus on other things period. ITs an imporvement. technology FTW.

No I would NOT want it, just as I said I don't want that "hill assist" crap. The point of getting a manual transmission is to work it and the pedals yourself. If you don't want to, get a DCT, or an auto. I don't see the point. It's silly, sorry.
urbo73 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2009, 02:34 PM   #30
wj4
Major General
 
Drives: E90 manual 335i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Burbank, CA

Posts: 7,723
iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to wj4
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbo73 View Post
No I would NOT want it, just as I said I don't want that "hill assist" crap. The point of getting a manual transmission is to work it and the pedals yourself. If you don't want to, get a DCT, or an auto. I don't see the point. It's silly, sorry.
I agree with you. Rev matching myself is fun, and honestly it takes no thought at all. The hill assist feature also bugs me when I have to parallel park on a hill.

Can this feature me turned off so you can rev match yourself? It'd be sad if the answer is no.
wj4 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2009, 02:41 PM   #31
Year's_End
Local Jabroni
 
Year's_End's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL

Posts: 12,032
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-M-Mexico View Post
Most of the time this is true, but its fun as hell to do and listen to the engine rev up. I love it.
+1000
That's the main reason I do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbo73 View Post
No I would NOT want it, just as I said I don't want that "hill assist" crap. The point of getting a manual transmission is to work it and the pedals yourself. If you don't want to, get a DCT, or an auto. I don't see the point. It's silly, sorry.
Well you're obviously one of the extreme purists, and thankfully Nissan offered a button where you can turn of this feature. Food for thought: Every performance auto magazine editor has raved about this feature, using it almost exclusively, claiming they never thought they would ever bother. I can easily see the point of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
I agree with you. Rev matching myself is fun, and honestly it takes no thought at all. The hill assist feature also bugs me when I have to parallel park on a hill.

Can this feature me turned off so you can rev match yourself? It'd be sad if the answer is no.
Yes it can be turned off.
__________________
E92 335i: Space Grey|Coral Red|Aluminum Trim

Hold out for the BRZ STI or... Rocket Bunny FRS. Update: Scratch that. I've got a 2015 5.0/6MT with my name on it.
Year's_End is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2009, 05:24 PM   #32
D1911
Private First Class
 
D1911's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 S2k
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Canada

Posts: 116
iTrader: (0)

so will this revmatch feature blip to the appropriate rpm whether you're at 5000rpm or 1500rpm?
D1911 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2009, 05:38 PM   #33
ren
Captain
 
Drives: E92 335
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: U.S.

Posts: 825
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
What it says. There is no need to rev match in daily driving in modern cars. It's only done by boy racers who want to look like they know how to drive a manual trans car in order to feel superior to people that either just drive normally in a manual trans car or who drive a car with an automatic. They do it to flog their egos and feel like they know what they are doing.
You're correct that it's not needed, but the rest of the stuff you said is pure BS.
ren is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2009, 05:40 PM   #34
ren
Captain
 
Drives: E92 335
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: U.S.

Posts: 825
iTrader: (8)

Here's a demonstration:

ren is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2009, 05:44 PM   #35
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
 
KonigsTiger's Avatar
 
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dweller

Posts: 4,398
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erensf View Post
Here's a demonstration:

Cool vid, seems to work well. Great witnesses as well. Looks like thatīs the Zīs target buyer. lol!
__________________
==================================================
KonigsTiger is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2009, 05:45 PM   #36
ren
Captain
 
Drives: E92 335
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: U.S.

Posts: 825
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-M-Mexico View Post
Cool vid, seems to work well. Great witnesses as well. Looks like that the Zīs target buyer. lol!
Yeah that interview part is funny
ren is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2009, 05:48 PM   #37
Year's_End
Local Jabroni
 
Year's_End's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL

Posts: 12,032
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erensf View Post
Here's a demonstration:

God that's awesome.
__________________
E92 335i: Space Grey|Coral Red|Aluminum Trim

Hold out for the BRZ STI or... Rocket Bunny FRS. Update: Scratch that. I've got a 2015 5.0/6MT with my name on it.
Year's_End is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2009, 08:37 PM   #38
ideliver
Major
 
ideliver's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E60 M5 & 08 Infiniti QX56
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: At the gas station

Posts: 1,232
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 MB S430 SOLD  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
works pretty good on my SMG ...kinda suprised this hasn't been done before
__________________
Cars I've owned '76 Chevelle 350 RIP '82 Monte Carlo 350 RIP '82 Mustang 302 RIP '88 Honda CRX RIP '88 Olds Toronado sold '94 Toyota Tercel sold '99 Acura TL sold 2002 Porsche 911 sold 2003 E46 M3 Blk/gr 2006 MB S430 sold Current: 2008 Infiniti QX56 & 2008 E60 M5

ideliver is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2009, 09:01 PM   #39
wj4
Major General
 
Drives: E90 manual 335i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Burbank, CA

Posts: 7,723
iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to wj4
I wonder what happens with the case of money shift. It will be sweet if it detects that it will need to be revved too high of an RPM and will lock you out from entering that certain gear.
wj4 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2009, 11:20 PM   #40
majin ssj eric
Captain
 
majin ssj eric's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Simons Island, GA

Posts: 778
iTrader: (0)

I think this is a fantastic feature and don't really understand why anybody would have a problem with it. It can be turned off. I would love to try it out...
__________________
2013 Lexus GS 350 F-Sport Starfire Pearl/Flaxen w/nav
2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 sedan Sapphire/Tan w/nav
1997 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
majin ssj eric is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2009, 11:22 PM   #41
urbo73
Captain
 
Drives: cars
Join Date: May 2006
Location: USA

Posts: 652
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
Well you're obviously one of the extreme purists, and thankfully Nissan offered a button where you can turn of this feature. Food for thought: Every performance auto magazine editor has raved about this feature, using it almost exclusively, claiming they never thought they would ever bother. I can easily see the point of it.
I don't think of myself as an "extreme purist" - I have driven (and raced) all sorts of cars and transmissions. I simply do not get this or see the point from a driver's point of view. I stated why. I can see Nissan putting it in for the coolness factor, to prevent people from over-revving when downshifting, to protect the tranny/engine in those cases, etc. So it's more of an insurance thing it seems for Nissan + the cool factor. Editors love new things all the time.

My point is that a person who drives a manual, is so used to rev-matching, that this would just get in the way. It would confuse me to NOT hit the gas. I would end up fighting with it. Yes I can turn it OFF, I understand. I just don't get the attraction. Like one guy in the video said though, it's maybe good for learning to drive a manual, but I don't even see that. Because one would be learning the wrong way. So it seems the opposite. So why not just get a DCT or auto? What's next? A manual transmission that also pushes the clutch pedal in and out when it sense your hand on the gear lever? See what I mean? Weird...
urbo73 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2009, 11:23 PM   #42
urbo73
Captain
 
Drives: cars
Join Date: May 2006
Location: USA

Posts: 652
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
I wonder what happens with the case of money shift. It will be sweet if it detects that it will need to be revved too high of an RPM and will lock you out from entering that certain gear.
But that defeats the point of driving a manual! It's like DSC. If you have it on at the track, and you know how to drive/correct the car, it will get in your way. Plus it will eat brakes!
urbo73 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2009, 11:37 PM   #43
majin ssj eric
Captain
 
majin ssj eric's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Simons Island, GA

Posts: 778
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbo73 View Post
I don't think of myself as an "extreme purist" - I have driven (and raced) all sorts of cars and transmissions. I simply do not get this or see the point from a driver's point of view. I stated why. I can see Nissan putting it in for the coolness factor, to prevent people from over-revving when downshifting, to protect the tranny/engine in those cases, etc. So it's more of an insurance thing it seems for Nissan + the cool factor. Editors love new things all the time.

My point is that a person who drives a manual, is so used to rev-matching, that this would just get in the way. It would confuse me to NOT hit the gas. I would end up fighting with it. Yes I can turn it OFF, I understand. I just don't get the attraction. Like one guy in the video said though, it's maybe good for learning to drive a manual, but I don't even see that. Because one would be learning the wrong way. So it seems the opposite. So why not just get a DCT or auto? What's next? A manual transmission that also pushes the clutch pedal in and out when it sense your hand on the gear lever? See what I mean? Weird...
And so what if they did come up with a manual that could shift itself? So long as it can be turned off, I'd be for it. The attraction of the system is that you can always have perfectly rev-matched downshifts without having to even know how to heel-and-toe. I've been driving stick for nearly 13 years and I still can't do it very well. It'd be nice to be able to pull off perfect downshifts every time without worrying about heel-and-toe technique......
__________________
2013 Lexus GS 350 F-Sport Starfire Pearl/Flaxen w/nav
2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 sedan Sapphire/Tan w/nav
1997 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
majin ssj eric is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2009, 12:22 AM   #44
wj4
Major General
 
Drives: E90 manual 335i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Burbank, CA

Posts: 7,723
iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to wj4
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbo73 View Post
But that defeats the point of driving a manual! It's like DSC. If you have it on at the track, and you know how to drive/correct the car, it will get in your way. Plus it will eat brakes!
The issue of money shift just came into mine. Once in a great while, you hear a story of how someone wanted to go from say fifth to fourth, but accidentally went into second and over revved, ending in damaging the engine.

I just wanted to know if this synchro feature is smart and fast enough to detect that 'hey, if you're going to go in 2nd gear at this speed, you're going to over rev' and lock out the gear on you. Thus saving you the headache and $$$ on fixing the damage.

I personally love using all 3 pedals and have no problem rev matching. My mom told me that if you can drive a manual like an auto, that's when you know you're good. She told me this when I first drove manual several years ago, lol.
wj4 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:39 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST