BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-05-2009, 10:32 AM   #67
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 335is(wifes)E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,704
iTrader: (0)

[quote=Jaypod;5571893

You should get some 1er's together for the upcoming track day Gearhead is putting together - would love to see how they do around the track - pretty well I would imagine[/QUOTE]

The funny thing is that 2 of our instructors have 135's and have track cars that they use on our days.I also hope to have a dedicated track car in the future.
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-05-2009, 10:34 AM   #68
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,496
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac1980 View Post
This weekend on the way to the cottage, got the low oil warning, stopped in at Durham BMW... they wouldnt do a no-charge top-up so I bought the liter bottle from them.

They claim BMW canada doesn't compensate them for the oil so they cant do it, but if i was a Durham BMW customer they would have comped me for it.

Funny, my last top up at BMW toronto they didnt even ask me who I was LOL... I guess the small town guys are on a tighter budget?
The main reasong for a dealer to do it on their own nickel is if they can expect future business from you to make it worth their while. If you are not from the local area, the chances are slim they will do it just to make you feel good about BMW.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-05-2009, 10:52 AM   #69
kmac1980
Major
 
Drives: '11 535xi, (former '08 M3)
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: toronto

Posts: 1,025
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
The main reasong for a dealer to do it on their own nickel is if they can expect future business from you to make it worth their while. If you are not from the local area, the chances are slim they will do it just to make you feel good about BMW.
Agreed, based solely on the fact that BMW does not compensate the dealers for the oil top ups.

I take issue more with BMW than the dealers here, as they claim "service included for the first 3 years". When you build an engine that clearly consumes a liter of oil every 5000-7000kms, they should be taking care of this. Even moreso because as stated earlier, you can just go to your local parts store and pick up a bottle of 10W60, you HAVE to go to BMW to purchase the oil. Again as stated before, its not like $20 worth of oil is going to break the bank every fews months, its the principle of the matter.

BMW should pay the dealers for the oil top ups as a warranty service, end of story...
kmac1980 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-05-2009, 11:01 AM   #70
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,496
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac1980 View Post
I take issue more with BMW than the dealers here, as they claim "service included for the first 3 years". When you build an engine that clearly consumes a liter of oil every 5000-7000kms, they should be taking care of this. Even moreso because as stated earlier, you can just go to your local parts store and pick up a bottle of 10W60, you HAVE to go to BMW to purchase the oil. Again as stated before, its not like $20 worth of oil is going to break the bank every fews months, its the principle of the matter.
It would be nice, but I think BMW's service plan is already much better than the competition's it's a small deal. Technically, oil is a consumable, but then again, so are brake pads, and they're covered. My guess is we're talking multi-millions per year to add this to the coverage.

Quote:
BMW should pay the dealers for the oil top ups as a warranty service, end of story...
You are confusing "maintenance" with "warranty". Warranties cover product defects.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-05-2009, 11:39 AM   #71
kmac1980
Major
 
Drives: '11 535xi, (former '08 M3)
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: toronto

Posts: 1,025
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post

You are confusing "maintenance" with "warranty". Warranties cover product defects.
true, but i don't think BMW was clear about the fact that oil is a consumable in these cars (apart from regularily scheduled oil services)...most other cars out in the market don't drink oil the way this one does. So perhaps the fact this engine consumes oil can be considered a defect? The same way as if you started losing brake fluid or steering rack fluid do to poorly designed seals. (ok, a bit of a stretch here and playing devil's advocate, but you get the idea)

albeit the manual does mention the possibility of top ups, but even talking to BMW dealers they say "this car CAN potentially need top up" i think this is misleading, I dont think anyone will make it to their first regularily scheduled oil change (post break in change) without needing a top up....
kmac1980 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-28-2009, 11:12 PM   #72
aw_330i
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2012 E92 MW M3
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto / Richmond Hill

Posts: 197
iTrader: (1)

so i went to T&C tonight to top off my M but that didnt happen.

Pulled up around 730pm, i was the only one there with the serivce manager. Told him i needed a top up and he said sure no problem, i'll get one of the service guys to help me out. He came back and said it'll be $27/per litre. I said "i've filled up here before with my other car with no charge, is this a new policy?" He goes on saying that since i didnt buy the car at T&C, i would have to pay. (i have 2 other family cars bought at T&C and my M was bought at Maranello).

I gave him a WTF look and just left.

So hopefully i'll be able to top it up at maranello tomorrow.

What pisses me off is i know for a fact he fed me some BS. This top up oil thing really should be written on paper.
aw_330i is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-29-2009, 07:05 AM   #73
shagkie
Captain
 
shagkie's Avatar
 
Drives: a....V8
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: GTA, Canada

Posts: 628
iTrader: (0)

Thats the thing with T&C, if you didn't buy the car from them then they'll try to screw you. I got mine top up there for free last time I was there. I really don't know if they'll top it up again the next time though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw_330i View Post
so i went to T&C tonight to top off my M but that didnt happen.

Pulled up around 730pm, i was the only one there with the serivce manager. Told him i needed a top up and he said sure no problem, i'll get one of the service guys to help me out. He came back and said it'll be $27/per litre. I said "i've filled up here before with my other car with no charge, is this a new policy?" He goes on saying that since i didnt buy the car at T&C, i would have to pay. (i have 2 other family cars bought at T&C and my M was bought at Maranello).

I gave him a WTF look and just left.

So hopefully i'll be able to top it up at maranello tomorrow.

What pisses me off is i know for a fact he fed me some BS. This top up oil thing really should be written on paper.
shagkie is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-29-2009, 07:25 AM   #74
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 335is(wifes)E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,704
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac1980 View Post
true, but i don't think BMW was clear about the fact that oil is a consumable in these cars (apart from regularily scheduled oil services)...most other cars out in the market don't drink oil the way this one does. So perhaps the fact this engine consumes oil can be considered a defect? The same way as if you started losing brake fluid or steering rack fluid do to poorly designed seals. (ok, a bit of a stretch here and playing devil's advocate, but you get the idea)

albeit the manual does mention the possibility of top ups, but even talking to BMW dealers they say "this car CAN potentially need top up" i think this is misleading, I dont think anyone will make it to their first regularily scheduled oil change (post break in change) without needing a top up....
When I have picked up my M's at delivery time,there was always at least an extra litre of oil in the trunk.My last 2 M's have both consumed not enough oil between changes to even require a top up and that is with doing track days also.I do my oil changes at about 12000 kms but if it went to 24000kms it might use a 1/2 litre.
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-29-2009, 08:30 AM   #75
Jaypod
Brigadier General
 
Jaypod's Avatar
 
Drives: Frozen Silver M3, AM V8V
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto

Posts: 4,934
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
it might use a 1/2 litre.

I have topped up twice (1/2 litre each time), but then again - you baby your car - as evidence at the track days!
Jaypod is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      09-29-2009, 09:13 AM   #76
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 335is(wifes)E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,704
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
I have topped up twice (1/2 litre each time), but then again - you baby your car - as evidence at the track days!

Actually I do.I am real anal about no real power demands or reving past 3000 rpm till I have at least 75c oil temp.Once its warm & normalized then It can be used the way it was designed to be.I think I spent too many years around large piston engines in aircraft
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-29-2009, 09:22 AM   #77
SlammedR8
Brigadier General
 
SlammedR8's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Audi R8 V10 +2013 Audi S4
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 4,936
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to SlammedR8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
When I have picked up my M's at delivery time,there was always at least an extra litre of oil in the trunk.My last 2 M's have both consumed not enough oil between changes to even require a top up and that is with doing track days also.I do my oil changes at about 12000 kms but if it went to 24000kms it might use a 1/2 litre.
Wowww!
I dont know how your car barely burns any oil.
I haven't kept exact track of how often I feel up, but its more than 1 litre every 12 000 km. thats for sure!
__________________
SlammedR8 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-29-2009, 09:38 AM   #78
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 335is(wifes)E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,704
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedm3 View Post
Wowww!
I dont know how your car barely burns any oil.
I haven't kept exact track of how often I feel up, but its more than 1 litre every 12 000 km. thats for sure!
The 1st step in acheiving low oil consumption is not to follow the breakin that is listed in the manual.As I have done with all my vehicles is when the vehicle is new is to start running the engine to max revs right away once it is fully warmed up for short periods in lower gears.I have broken in probally over a 100 vehicles this way with only 1 that used oil and had to have an engine changed and that was a 454 GMC Suburban that my wife drove for the 1st few hundred kms before I had a chance to drive it.The replacement engine never used oil and that towed a 9000 lb boat most of its life with me.



More on this here.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-29-2009, 09:43 AM   #79
Jaypod
Brigadier General
 
Jaypod's Avatar
 
Drives: Frozen Silver M3, AM V8V
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto

Posts: 4,934
iTrader: (7)

thats a sweet boat!
Jaypod is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      09-29-2009, 09:52 AM   #80
SlammedR8
Brigadier General
 
SlammedR8's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Audi R8 V10 +2013 Audi S4
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 4,936
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to SlammedR8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
The 1st step in acheiving low oil consumption is not to follow the breakin that is listed in the manual.As I have done with all my vehicles is when the vehicle is new is to start running the engine to max revs right away once it is fully warmed up for short periods in lower gears.I have broken in probally over a 100 vehicles this way with only 1 that used oil and had to have an engine changed and that was a 454 GMC Suburban that my wife drove for the 1st few hundred kms before I had a chance to drive it.The replacement engine never used oil and that towed a 9000 lb boat most of its life with me.



More on this here.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
I agree, I didn't follow the break in as per the manual either.

Once the engine was warm, I would bring it up to 6000-8000 rpm, but I wasn't hammering through the gears. And I wasn't pedal to the metal either, but I gave her enough to pull up high in the rpms without "killing" it.

But as my old shop foreman used to tell me, these cars all burn oil. (M3/M5/M6).

My E46 330ci burned oil too, but not too much!
__________________
SlammedR8 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-29-2009, 10:02 AM   #81
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 335is(wifes)E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,704
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedm3 View Post
I agree, I didn't follow the break in as per the manual either.

Once the engine was warm, I would bring it up to 6000-8000 rpm, but I wasn't hammering through the gears. And I wasn't pedal to the metal either, but I gave her enough to pull up high in the rpms without "killing" it.

But as my old shop foreman used to tell me, these cars all burn oil. (M3/M5/M6).

My E46 330ci burned oil too, but not too much!
My other BMW's have never used any signifigant oil.Even my wifes 335 does not need any top up in 24000 kms between services and I understand that that most N54's use a fair bit of oil.That car was picked up on Thursday night and Saturday night it had 1500 kms on it in the mountians of Tennessee.
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-29-2009, 10:08 AM   #82
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 335is(wifes)E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,704
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
thats a sweet boat!
I have played around a lot of offshore boats for a long time.
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-29-2009, 10:27 AM   #83
Jaypod
Brigadier General
 
Jaypod's Avatar
 
Drives: Frozen Silver M3, AM V8V
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto

Posts: 4,934
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
I have played around a lot of offshore boats for a long time.

Sweet! I love boats - used to have a 29 ft. Baja Outlaw SST - not very practical, but who cared!
Jaypod is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      09-29-2009, 10:34 AM   #84
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 335is(wifes)E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,704
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
Sweet! I love boats - used to have a 29 ft. Baja Outlaw SST - not very practical, but who cared!
What power?
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-29-2009, 10:52 AM   #85
Jaypod
Brigadier General
 
Jaypod's Avatar
 
Drives: Frozen Silver M3, AM V8V
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto

Posts: 4,934
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
What power?
It had twin Merc 454 putting out a little over 700hp! it was a little thirsty!
Jaypod is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      09-29-2009, 10:55 AM   #86
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 335is(wifes)E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,704
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
It had twin Merc 454 putting out a little over 700hp! it was a little thirsty!
All boats are!I can remember days on 140 mile poker runs going through over $1000 of fuel and that was 10 years ago with a lot cheaper fuel.Today guys are running 1400 HP running on 110 octane race fuel
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-29-2009, 11:15 AM   #87
Jaypod
Brigadier General
 
Jaypod's Avatar
 
Drives: Frozen Silver M3, AM V8V
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto

Posts: 4,934
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
All boats are!I can remember days on 140 mile poker runs going through over $1000 of fuel and that was 10 years ago with a lot cheaper fuel.Today guys are running 1400 HP running on 110 octane race fuel

Its a very expensive "lifestyle", you cant call it a hobby. A lot of people think the expensive part is buying the boat - its actually using it. I owned mine for about 6 years and really didnt lose to much on the value of the boat, but I spent a ton on fuel and maintence. I was fortunate that i didnt even have to pay dock fees (I never towed it myself - didnt have a vehicle capable of it.) I preferred to drive up, jump in and drive away anyway.

Unfotunately life got in the way and it wasnt used very much so I sold it.
Jaypod is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      09-29-2009, 02:52 PM   #88
aw_330i
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2012 E92 MW M3
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto / Richmond Hill

Posts: 197
iTrader: (1)

UPDATE

Went to Maranello this afternoon, got my M topped up with oil. In and out in 5 min.

Very nice service advisor. Also made the effort to make some small talk. He did ask me if i bought the car there.

so i guess if you need oil topped off bring it back to where you bought it and you shouldnt have problems.....
aw_330i is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:57 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST