BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

12-31-2008, 03:53 PM   #23
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure

Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeS4 View Post
Can't go wrong with either one. But for exclusivity alone, i'd go with the RS4.
What's so exclusive about the RS4? How many did they make?
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
MMMorish is offline   Canada
      12-31-2008, 03:56 PM   #24
jaeS4
Private

Drives: s4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
If i remember correctly, total so far is about 5,000 in the U.S. since 2005. All of the RS models are very limited production.

According to this article, total production might reach 12,000 units.
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Looking+@+Audi's+RS4-a0148732108
      12-31-2008, 03:59 PM   #25
yellowssm
Private First Class

Drives: 05 M3

Quote:
Very limited especially compared to the new m3.

E46 M3 HPF/ProEfi Stage 2.25 & 646rwhp & 549wtq on E85
      01-01-2009, 02:03 AM   #26
Year's_End
RWD only.

Drives: '08 E92 335i

If you never see snow, M3 hands down. If you do, consider the RS4.

I don't see the appeal of an RS4 over the M3 for a few reasons.
-It's older. (The new one should be a beast. Probably an M3 killer.)
-It's AWD. Boring.

I'm not a fan of AWD because where I live there's no reason to have it.

Future Ride: 2015 Mustang GT Premium |Guard|401A|PP|Recaros|6MT
Year's_End is offline   United_States
      01-01-2009, 07:37 AM   #27
footie
Major General

Drives: ????????????

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
I notice Fastlane are quoting the RS4's Nurburgring lap time as 7:58, a full 7 seconds quicker than the E92 M3's time of 8:05. Has the RS4 been retested and if so have both cars (RS4 and M3) been tested on the same re-surfaced course?

BMW E92 M3 time

Audi RS4 time
footie is offline   No_Country
      01-01-2009, 07:50 AM   #28
southlight
Moderator / European Editor

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I notice Fastlane are quoting the RS4's Nurburgring lap time as 7:58, a full 7 seconds quicker than the E92 M3's time of 8:05. Has the RS4 been retested and if so have both cars (RS4 and M3) been tested on the same re-surfaced course?

BMW E92 M3 time

Audi RS4 time
That's again Stippler's mystery time, I reckon further investigation showed that he made it in an completely stock RS4 even quicker than thought before (7:58).

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
      01-01-2009, 07:55 AM   #29
footie
Major General

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
That's again Stippler's mystery time, I reckon further investigation showed that he made it in an completely stock RS4 even quicker than thought before (7:58).

Best regards, south

South,

Are you meaning that this was Strippler's time? I understood that the time he did was actually quicker than that.

I don't understand why it has changed because before the time Fastlane previously gave was the 8:09 done by Sport Auto.
      01-01-2009, 08:00 AM   #30
southlight

Quote:
South,

Are you meaning that this was Strippler's time? I understood that the time he did was actually quicker than that.

I don't understand why it has changed because before the time Fastlane previously gave was the 8:09 done by Sport Auto.
Yes, have a look at this detail page: http://www.fastestlaps.com/index.php...=458be5c49eae1

If I remember correctly 7:59 was the time he made, don't know why this one cites a 7:58. But I don't want to fume at that one again. One guy states that Stippler got out of an RS4 and told him how fast he were and suddenly it's all over the net...

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
      01-01-2009, 08:18 AM   #31
footie
Major General

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes, have a look at this detail page: http://www.fastestlaps.com/index.php...=458be5c49eae1

If I remember correctly 7:59 was the time he made, don't know why this one cites a 7:58. But I don't want to fume at that one again. One guy states that Stippler got out of an RS4 and told him how fast he were and suddenly it's all over the net...

Best regards, south
+1,

I have heard anything from 7:55 upto 7:59.

But why change the data after so long, I was sure that previously the page did indeed show the proper time of 8:09.
      01-01-2009, 08:30 AM   #32
southlight

Quote:
+1,

I have heard anything from 7:55 upto 7:59.

But why change the data after so long, I was sure that previously the page did indeed show the proper time of 8:09.
No idea. This time was submitted to the page in 2006. They might have removed it due to the discussion and could now havce decided to have it back listed. I don't give a ...

BTW: Happy New Year!

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
      01-01-2009, 03:21 PM   #33
COR Photographer
Private First Class

Drives: M3

The love the RS4 but I would choose the M3!!!
      01-01-2009, 03:42 PM   #34
MMMorish

I never saw the RS4's ring time but I remember that on Top Gears comparo of the M3/RS4/C63, the RS4 was slower on their track than the M3 was.

Mind you, I don't know how credible that is.

I have a question; Audi claims that the RS4 is completely hand assembled, is that true?
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
      01-02-2009, 02:22 AM   #35
Year's_End
RWD only.

Drives: '08 E92 335i

Quote:
I have a question; Audi claims that the RS4 is completely hand assembled, is that true?
I don't know where you heard that, but that sounds like complete bull to me. There's no way.

Future Ride: 2015 Mustang GT Premium |Guard|401A|PP|Recaros|6MT
Year's_End is offline   United_States
      01-02-2009, 05:30 AM   #36
southlight

Quote:
Never heard that claim before. RS4 mostly run off the A4 production line. The assembly of the RS specific parts in Neckarsulm might have been done by hand. I think it's the R8 which Audi claims to be hand assembled and that's true.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
      01-02-2009, 06:36 AM   #37
mixja
Captain

Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

I used to own an RS4 and I'm now awaiting a new M3 DCT...

My RS4 was somewhat special in that it was optioned with Ceramic brakes and Sports Suspension Plus, the combination of which removed a reasonable amount of moderate understeer normally experienced on the RS4. That said the ride on Sports Suspension Plus was quite a bit harsher than the most aggressive M3 EDC setting, and it was like than full time. I've heard the stock RS4 suspension does just as good a job as the EDC with its damping control, but can't comment personally on this.

The RS4 without a doubt has a superior transmission - nice short throws and precision gear changes are a breeze. I find the M3 throw too long with a bit too much play, and I frequently miss gears in the M3 when attempting lightning fast changes that were always perfectly executed in the RS4. The clutch on the RS4 is also better - it is heavier but contributes to fast clean gear changes. I'm currently driving an MT M3 on loan from my dealer so I'm very used to the transmission now, hence my opinion is not just based on a test drive or two. In fact, I'm only getting an M3 because of the DCT transmission.

In terms of performance, my RS4 was modified, with full header back exhaust with sports cats and an aggressive ECU reflash. The modified RS4 felt quicker than the MT M3, but the stock DCT M3 certainly felt just as quick as the RS4 with a bit more top end pull. I definitely believe a stock MT M3 is quite a bit quicker than a stock RS4, and that will be even more compounded in the US where the US RS4 is heavier than the Euro Spec RS4 (which I owned). Other RS4 owners have also reported you need a good 10k miles on the clock before the RS4 starts to feel quick and I certainly noticed after about 10k miles the car was feeling nice and quick.

The RS4 interior is more dated than the M3, but for its time I feel it is better than the M3 interior. The M3 interior is very subdued, not much different from a 3 series - the RS4 dashboard is much better than the M3 dashboard, the M3 excels on the stereo and leather work. My RS4 didn't have navigation so I can't comment in that area.

I feel the RS4 is a better looking car than the M3 - certainly has a more muscular brutish look to it. The M3 looks pumped up artificially on steroids, whereas the RS4's muscular appearance looks much more genuine. Still the M3 is not a bad looking car and I'd obviously still own one.

For the purist, the M3 is the choice, the car has more dimensions to it than the RS4 and can be driven much faster than the RS4 in the right hands. But for the average Joe, I think the RS4 is the better all round choice - you can drive at 9/10ths with more confidence and you have the all weather flexibility.
mixja is offline   United_States
      01-02-2009, 07:01 AM   #38
MMMorish

Quote:
Never heard that claim before. RS4 mostly run off the A4 production line. The assembly of the RS specific parts in Neckarsulm might have been done by hand. I think it's the R8 which Audi claims to be hand assembled and that's true.

Best regards, south
Thanks, my bad!!
      01-02-2009, 07:05 AM   #39
MMMorish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixja View Post
I used to own an RS4 and I'm now awaiting a new M3 DCT...

My RS4 was somewhat special in that it was optioned with Ceramic brakes and Sports Suspension Plus, the combination of which removed a reasonable amount of moderate understeer normally experienced on the RS4. That said the ride on Sports Suspension Plus was quite a bit harsher than the most aggressive M3 EDC setting, and it was like than full time. I've heard the stock RS4 suspension does just as good a job as the EDC with its damping control, but can't comment personally on this.

The RS4 without a doubt has a superior transmission - nice short throws and precision gear changes are a breeze. I find the M3 throw too long with a bit too much play, and I frequently miss gears in the M3 when attempting lightning fast changes that were always perfectly executed in the RS4. The clutch on the RS4 is also better - it is heavier but contributes to fast clean gear changes. I'm currently driving an MT M3 on loan from my dealer so I'm very used to the transmission now, hence my opinion is not just based on a test drive or two. In fact, I'm only getting an M3 because of the DCT transmission.

In terms of performance, my RS4 was modified, with full header back exhaust with sports cats and an aggressive ECU reflash. The modified RS4 felt quicker than the MT M3, but the stock DCT M3 certainly felt just as quick as the RS4 with a bit more top end pull. I definitely believe a stock MT M3 is quite a bit quicker than a stock RS4, and that will be even more compounded in the US where the US RS4 is heavier than the Euro Spec RS4 (which I owned). Other RS4 owners have also reported you need a good 10k miles on the clock before the RS4 starts to feel quick and I certainly noticed after about 10k miles the car was feeling nice and quick.

The RS4 interior is more dated than the M3, but for its time I feel it is better than the M3 interior. The M3 interior is very subdued, not much different from a 3 series - the RS4 dashboard is much better than the M3 dashboard, the M3 excels on the stereo and leather work. My RS4 didn't have navigation so I can't comment in that area.

I feel the RS4 is a better looking car than the M3 - certainly has a more muscular brutish look to it. The M3 looks pumped up artificially on steroids, whereas the RS4's muscular appearance looks much more genuine. Still the M3 is not a bad looking car and I'd obviously still own one.

For the purist, the M3 is the choice, the car has more dimensions to it than the RS4 and can be driven much faster than the RS4 in the right hands. But for the average Joe, I think the RS4 is the better all round choice - you can drive at 9/10ths with more confidence and you have the all weather flexibility.
Nice write up. Finally someone with first hand experience who can make comments without speculation or bias.
      01-02-2009, 08:14 AM   #40
footie
Major General

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Nice write up. Finally someone with first hand experience who can make comments without speculation or bias.
I hate to say it but I have been saying exactly same comments about sporty Audis since I joined the forums.
      01-02-2009, 12:12 PM   #41
ssii
Private

Drives: E90 M3, E36 M3

Garage List
1995 Toyota Supra T ...  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [0.00]
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
I looked at the RS4, C63 and E90 M3 before making my decision. As much as I love the class of the Merc i could get over an Autotragic, and I liked the AWD factor of the RS4 but I had owned S4s before and M3s and I always liked the M3s more.

I have absolutely zero regrets with getting the E90 M3. I am driving the car everyday and enjoy every second of it. If you really plan on keeping the car forever I would recommend going new. These cars have very very high performance engines which actually require the proper break in periods, if not problems can occur further down the road. And there are already so many people ive seen just on this forum saying how they didnt care to break in the car. That would always scare me. I would do new, too bad you just missed the 0.9 financing that ended yesterday.
      01-02-2009, 01:01 PM   #42
MMMorish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssii View Post
These cars have very very high performance engines which actually require the proper break in periods, if not problems can occur further down the road. And there are already so many people ive seen just on this forum saying how they didnt care to break in the car.
I agree and I disagree. I remember talking to one of the techs at my local dealer here in Toronto and he told me that the engines already come pretty well broken in from the factory. He told me that a lot of customers were driving their cars agressively before breakin and that it doesn't do anything to the car.

I did a little bit of both with my car. I got it with 800 miles and I drove it under 5500rpm most the time but I wasn't shy to open the car up a little too. If you baby the car too much it won't be as lively a performer later on down the road.
      01-03-2009, 10:03 PM   #43
///M3Joe
Private

Drives: 2008 BMW M3 E90

M3, I can't believe this thread is going this long. What is there to think about, get the M3 buddy!!!!
      01-05-2009, 11:10 AM   #44
alvesc

Drives: '01 E46, '07 B7-RS4

I live in TO, came from an E46, went with the RS4 as I drive every day and spend most weekends skiing. Also love the rareness of the RS4. Would be a difficult decision if you were considering the E92, but the E90 is ugly compared with the RS4.
alvesc is offline   Canada