BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-26-2008, 10:54 AM   #1
doba_s
Major General
 
doba_s's Avatar
 
Drives: M3, 1M
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 6,101
iTrader: (26)

Send a message via Skype™ to doba_s
Question Where is the best place to live in TX

Hey was wondering where would be the best place to live in Texas ... I know that some cites/areas are good and some are not ... We are planing to visit TX sometime soon and maybe to move there in near future ...

Thanks
doba_s is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-26-2008, 11:08 AM   #2
PLAYON
Major
 
PLAYON's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 550i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: East Coast

Posts: 1,414
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2003 Audi A4  [0.00]
Austin was a blast when I visited, Houston was decent, El Paso was decent. . . South Padre Island was
__________________
PLAYON is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-26-2008, 12:00 PM   #3
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
 
consolidated's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas

Posts: 1,521
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
my top 10

1. Austin
2. Austin
3. Austin
4. Fort Worth
5. Houston or San Antonio
6. Hell
7. cave in Afganistan
8. Mexican jail
9. Lubbock
10. Dallas
consolidated is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-26-2008, 12:15 PM   #4
doba_s
Major General
 
doba_s's Avatar
 
Drives: M3, 1M
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 6,101
iTrader: (26)

Send a message via Skype™ to doba_s
Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
my top 10

1. Austin
2. Austin
3. Austin
4. Fort Worth
5. Houston or San Antonio
6. Hell
7. cave in Afganistan
8. Mexican jail
9. Lubbock
10. Dallas
wow ... i didn't know that Dallas is that bad ... it is not too far from Fort Worth and it is that bad ?

What is good about Austin ?
doba_s is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-26-2008, 12:25 PM   #5
phattbam
SF Krew
 
phattbam's Avatar
 
Drives: //M
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SonicMS

Posts: 5,564
iTrader: (21)

really you're planning on leaving the bay area?
phattbam is offline   Vietnam
0
Reply With Quote
      12-26-2008, 12:43 PM   #6
doba_s
Major General
 
doba_s's Avatar
 
Drives: M3, 1M
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 6,101
iTrader: (26)

Send a message via Skype™ to doba_s
Quote:
Originally Posted by phattbam View Post
really you're planning on leaving the bay area?
haha ... no andrew ....i am just checking ...
doba_s is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-26-2008, 12:50 PM   #7
phattbam
SF Krew
 
phattbam's Avatar
 
Drives: //M
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SonicMS

Posts: 5,564
iTrader: (21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doba_s View Post
haha ... no andrew ....i am just checking ...
I can't wait to get the bulbs in. Also clean my car up to get our photoshoot rolling too.
phattbam is offline   Vietnam
0
Reply With Quote
      12-26-2008, 01:08 PM   #8
Blake
Banned
 
Drives: Chevy Aveo
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parent's Basement

Posts: 4,651
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doba_s View Post
wow ... i didn't know that Dallas is that bad ... it is not too far from Fort Worth and it is that bad ?

What is good about Austin ?
dallas isn't bad at all. don't listen to the haters

austin is cool, but kinda weird. it's a very interesting mix of people in austin. traffic in austin is arguably the worst in the state. the only reason that i think i would live in austin is the topography.

i live in dallas and love it. dallas is sorta like the LA of the southwest. it's a huge, sprawling city with a lot of nice upscale restaurants, shopping, and "be seen" kind of places. also, the cost of living in dallas is lower than anywhere in the state, as far as big cities are concerned.

san antonio is tolerable for a few days at a time. that's about all there is to that.

i lived in houston for 2 years, it was alright, but the climate and seemingly endless traffic sent me back to dallas. only go if you like 100 degree summer days mixed with 60%+ gulf humidity for 6 months straight.
Blake is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-26-2008, 01:14 PM   #9
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
 
consolidated's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas

Posts: 1,521
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doba_s View Post
wow ... i didn't know that Dallas is that bad ... it is not too far from Fort Worth and it is that bad ?

What is good about Austin ?
It was half a joke, but based on reality. I lived in Dallas for 10 month, grew up in Houston and have lived in Austin for most of my life. Dallas just wasn't for me, but some people love it, it's a big place.
consolidated is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-26-2008, 01:20 PM   #10
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
 
consolidated's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas

Posts: 1,521
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
i lived in houston for 2 years, it was alright, but the climate and seemingly endless traffic sent me back to dallas. only go if you like 100 degree summer days mixed with 60%+ gulf humidity for 6 months straight.
Agree, the weather in Houston is just about intolerable...hot, sticky, sweaty, overcast. 60% RH is a dry day, 90% isn't unusual.
consolidated is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-26-2008, 01:24 PM   #11
Blake
Banned
 
Drives: Chevy Aveo
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parent's Basement

Posts: 4,651
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
Agree, the weather in Houston is something is just about intolerable...hot, sticky, sweaty, overcast. 60% RH is a dry day, 90% isn't unusual.
and you have to love when rain showers blow in off the gulf in the mid-afternoon and leave even more humidity radiating off the pavement.

speaking of rain in houston, whenever it rains more than a brief shower, the entire city is flooded. happened countless times over the 2 years that i lived there.
Blake is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-26-2008, 04:03 PM   #12
doba_s
Major General
 
doba_s's Avatar
 
Drives: M3, 1M
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 6,101
iTrader: (26)

Send a message via Skype™ to doba_s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
dallas isn't bad at all. don't listen to the haters

austin is cool, but kinda weird. it's a very interesting mix of people in austin. traffic in austin is arguably the worst in the state. the only reason that i think i would live in austin is the topography.

i live in dallas and love it. dallas is sorta like the LA of the southwest. it's a huge, sprawling city with a lot of nice upscale restaurants, shopping, and "be seen" kind of places. also, the cost of living in dallas is lower than anywhere in the state, as far as big cities are concerned.

san antonio is tolerable for a few days at a time. that's about all there is to that.

i lived in houston for 2 years, it was alright, but the climate and seemingly endless traffic sent me back to dallas. only go if you like 100 degree summer days mixed with 60%+ gulf humidity for 6 months straight.
I am not a big fan of the big cites ... and i hate traffic big time ... seems like Dallas is not for me ... I think we are going to check out Austin and Huston ... How is the real estate in those cites right now ? Is it pretty stable or falling down ?
doba_s is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-26-2008, 04:09 PM   #13
!Xoible
Banned
 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

Posts: 46,037
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
i'd live somewhere as far away from texans as possible
!Xoible is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-26-2008, 04:59 PM   #14
Blake
Banned
 
Drives: Chevy Aveo
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parent's Basement

Posts: 4,651
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doba_s View Post
I am not a big fan of the big cites ... and i hate traffic big time ... seems like Dallas is not for me ... I think we are going to check out Austin and Huston ... How is the real estate in those cites right now ? Is it pretty stable or falling down ?
honestly, texas is just about the farthest away from recession of any state. (number 1 state to do business in, too!) the real estate market is much better here than i've seen elsewhere. a lot of this is due to the lower cost of living...you can get a gigantic new house in texas for the price of a 2 bedroom condo in any california city. this is not to say that everything is perfect in the real estate market, but you won't find whole entire subdivisions of foreclosures like i've seen elsewhere. property values are on the decline because of the sheer lack of qualified buyers, but that is advantageous to the buyer naturally. it's why i'm buying my first home right now

one thing about austin traffic...too many people, not enough highways. horrendous traffic. austin used to be a smaller city that has experienced a population boom in the past decade. the people kept coming and the infrastructure was never upgraded to handle the influx of people. (although they are doing a lot of road construction now to upgrade these roads. they just opened a new tollway that will help alleviate i-35 congestion.) nevertheless, it's your decision. austin is a beautiful city.

and why houston? there are millions of reasons not to move to houston, but only maybe a couple reasons why you should. no offense to houstonians or anything...i did my time in houston.

i'd be happy to answer any other texas related questions, i've lived all over this state my entire life! i love texas and couldn't imagine living anywhere else, besides maybe on a sandy beach somewhere! there really is everything in texas...we've got beaches, lakes, beautiful hill country, recreation galore, large booming cities, strong economy and job market, cheap gas, top notch shopping and entertainment, and oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post
i'd live somewhere as far away from texans as possible
Blake is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-26-2008, 10:26 PM   #15
doba_s
Major General
 
doba_s's Avatar
 
Drives: M3, 1M
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 6,101
iTrader: (26)

Send a message via Skype™ to doba_s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
honestly, texas is just about the farthest away from recession of any state. (number 1 state to do business in, too!) the real estate market is much better here than i've seen elsewhere. a lot of this is due to the lower cost of living...you can get a gigantic new house in texas for the price of a 2 bedroom condo in any california city. this is not to say that everything is perfect in the real estate market, but you won't find whole entire subdivisions of foreclosures like i've seen elsewhere. property values are on the decline because of the sheer lack of qualified buyers, but that is advantageous to the buyer naturally. it's why i'm buying my first home right now

one thing about austin traffic...too many people, not enough highways. horrendous traffic. austin used to be a smaller city that has experienced a population boom in the past decade. the people kept coming and the infrastructure was never upgraded to handle the influx of people. (although they are doing a lot of road construction now to upgrade these roads. they just opened a new tollway that will help alleviate i-35 congestion.) nevertheless, it's your decision. austin is a beautiful city.

and why houston? there are millions of reasons not to move to houston, but only maybe a couple reasons why you should. no offense to houstonians or anything...i did my time in houston.

i'd be happy to answer any other texas related questions, i've lived all over this state my entire life! i love texas and couldn't imagine living anywhere else, besides maybe on a sandy beach somewhere! there really is everything in texas...we've got beaches, lakes, beautiful hill country, recreation galore, large booming cities, strong economy and job market, cheap gas, top notch shopping and entertainment, and oil



Thank you Blake ... I guess I read it wrong somewhere about Huston ...

It seems like traffic is something that you will always run into everywhere you go ...

What about hospitals ? I heard Texas has many nice hospitals and I think one of them was on the list of 100 best places to work for ...

I'll do some more research about Austin ...

If we decide to visit TX you will be our tour guide haha ...

Thanks.
doba_s is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-26-2008, 10:41 PM   #16
doba_s
Major General
 
doba_s's Avatar
 
Drives: M3, 1M
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 6,101
iTrader: (26)

Send a message via Skype™ to doba_s
also what’s the weather like ?
doba_s is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-26-2008, 11:20 PM   #17
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
 
consolidated's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas

Posts: 1,521
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doba_s View Post
also what’s the weather like ?
Hot, really hot. However it's an enormous state, you get more seasonal weather away from the coast towards the North and West, but it's hot everywhere in the Summer. The coast is very humid if you didn't already get that. You can pick from sandy beaches, hill country, desert to pine forests across the state, not unlike California.

The medical center in Houston is world class, not an exaggeration.
consolidated is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-27-2008, 12:55 AM   #18
Blake
Banned
 
Drives: Chevy Aveo
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parent's Basement

Posts: 4,651
iTrader: (7)

there are exceptional hospitals in all the major dallas cities, but the well known top hospitals are mostly in dallas and houston. stay away from public hospitals if you can, they are often slam packed busy 24/7 365 days a year.

we have a saying around here about texas weather...if you don't like it, wait 5 minutes and it'll be different. that's not too far from the truth.

spring means severe storm season, and we get some pretty nasty thunderstorms. the farther north you are, the higher the tornado probability. this is not to say that we're always dodging tornadoes, because that's not the case at all. i, personally, love the strong storms...i sit out on my balcony and watch them as they blow through. but overall, the climate in spring is awesome. many upper 70's and low 80-degree days with not a cloud in the sky.

summer is just hot. it can be as bad as 2006, where most of texas had 100+ days of 100 degree weather with no rain. that was one of the worst droughts i've ever seen. there were a few area lakes that damn near dried up. it was wild. we had all these "stage 3 water restrictions" where you couldn't water your yard or run any sort of irrigation. but that's just about the worst. an average summer has many 100 degree days, but usually just in the 90's. 90's are a guarantee for many months, august being the hottest month.

fall and winter are also very beautiful. 70's and 80's in the fall, 50's and 60's in winter...warmer closer to the coast. the coldest it ever really gets is freezing, but that rarely happens on the gulf coast. snow maybe once or twice a year in north texas...it's nice to have occasionally, but it melts within a day usually. even now, it was cold as shit earlier this week, it was 80 today.

oh yea, gulf coastal areas are hurricane prone. i rode out a couple in houston, although they really weren't bad like ike was. poor galveston got wiped off the map pretty much.
Blake is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-27-2008, 01:06 AM   #19
Blake
Banned
 
Drives: Chevy Aveo
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parent's Basement

Posts: 4,651
iTrader: (7)

oh and if you ever decide to visit, you should road trip it and plan to spend a week or so traveling through the state to visit places...especially with the M in the hill country! there are some great driving roads all throughout the hill country, wide open twisty roads for miles. a trip down I-35 from dallas to san antonio will give you a really good flavor for the best and worst (waco, tx) that texas has to offer, as well as general topography of the cities. if you drive, be sure you have a good radar detector...plenty of troopers around.

texas is also one of the friendlier states that you'll find in the US.
Blake is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-27-2008, 12:51 PM   #20
doba_s
Major General
 
doba_s's Avatar
 
Drives: M3, 1M
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 6,101
iTrader: (26)

Send a message via Skype™ to doba_s
ok ... so the weather is not that bad ... coming from -30C in the winter and +40C in the summer it should not be that bad ... This is the reason I like CA because the weather is very nice.

It's good to know that hospitals are in the good shape there ... I work in the hospital and seems like it wouldn't be a problem to get a job there...
doba_s is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-27-2008, 09:41 PM   #21
Zed
Replicant
 
Zed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 M3 E90 DCT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 199
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doba_s View Post
ok ... so the weather is not that bad ... coming from -30C in the winter and +40C in the summer it should not be that bad ... This is the reason I like CA because the weather is very nice.

It's good to know that hospitals are in the good shape there ... I work in the hospital and seems like it wouldn't be a problem to get a job there...
Quite a few hospitals in Houston. There is a whole 'texas medical center' which is the largest medical complex in the world. Includes at least 13 renowned hospitals and two specialty institutions, two medical schools, four nursing schools and schools of dentistry, public health, pharmacy, etc.

Regarding weather... I came from the west to Houston about 6 years ago. It can get humid and hot and aug/sep for sure. But also... it is Dec 27th and 73 degrees outside today. Lots of burbs around Houston proper, and housing is plentiful and cheap right now.

For character Austin is nice, Houston really doesn't have much character... just big and flat, and with typical big city traffic.
Zed is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-28-2008, 07:54 AM   #22
Mack211
Lieutenant
 
Mack211's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3 - DCT
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Fort Collins, CO

Posts: 493
iTrader: (0)

1. Anywhere north side of Dallas or Ft. Worth
2. Ft. Worth
3. Dallas
4. Houston
5. Austin
__________________
2008 M3 Space Gray, Black, Syc Ant Wood Trim, DCT
2001 325ci Steel Gray - Sold
Mack211 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST