BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM Sport

12-30-2008, 11:20 AM   #23
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC View Post
Agree, the owners who intend to keep their GTR's stock shouldn't have a problem. Imphasis on "shouldn't".

But this should be a warning to people modding the GTR. When it comes down to modding for more power, you have to know the stock tranny is not up for it. This particular car is not overly modded, the tuner only did a little over 100 launches with this car.

Just don't see this car being as bulletproof as other turbo cars, like the Supra. That thing could handle large amounts of boost, stock.
+1

I agree...if you start to tweak the car and the tranny fails, too bad.

If you are using LC when it is stock, it shouldn't fail (like many people have). Total BS that Nissan is not covering those guys IMHO.
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 11:21 AM   #24
Advskier
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2008 E92

When I bought my M3 I could easily have bought a GTR. The decision for me was between the M3 and the new Porsche. Having had BMW's and Porsche's, for me it came down to the dealer, and wanting something different.
The M3 is not the only vehicle in my garage, and for that matter not even the only BMW.

Jealous of what?
My M3 is everything I hoped it would be. And none of the drama of worrying about excessive maintenance headaches.

Maybe you are more of a "real enthusiast" than me, because of your appreciation and jealousy of the GTR.
Flapping your mouth and accusing someone (you don't know a thing about) of emotions for a car makes you much more of an enthusiast. I'm jealous of that.

The GTR is a magnificent "accomplishment and automotive landmark". Nissan has proven that you can sell cars that require race car maintenance to average buyers who don't have a clue. Void the warranty if they try to use them. Keep availability low until they catch on and then jack the prices.
All based on numbers that will void warranties if the buyer attempts to replicate them.

I'm jealous of you, because if I had any appreciation for simple things my cost of living would be a lot lower.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 03:02 PM   #25
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: MP4

This thread turned out just like every other thread on this board concerning the GTR.

Boring.
      12-31-2008, 02:14 AM   #26
2high2aim
Private
Rep

Drives: Nissan 240SX

Most of the comments on this thread are false the GTR transmission is not weak. In any car that you do modify you are more prone to dangers and mishaps as you go up in power and modification the owner of this car wanted to get to the limits of the transmission and go above it he new it and want to continue to abuse it so he has an excuse to upgrade the transmission you know the old saying “if it isn’t broken then don’t try fixing it” (lol). Also I am a member of NAGTROC and there have been very few broken transmissions and with the hype of the car any little imperfection is extravagated. Its true a few GTR transmissions have broken and they were all do too some kind of recklessness such as constant tracking and launching without proper warm up and maintenance and few mileage or modifying the GTR. And the SIMPLE MODS you speak of aren’t so simple for example these three aren't simple at all HKS GT570 kit, Cobb Accessport Custom tune @ 19psi, and Methanol injection system plus he had constantly launched the car and raced it this in time caused the problem. In any manual car you have to upgrade the clutch when pushing the car too high past its stock hp & trq. And in this case he hadn’t upgrade his tranny there are numerous companies that are making transmission parts for the GTR and in time you will see. Basically my main point is that there are very few transmissions that have broke and because of the hype this car has the issue is magnified and multiplied like I have a friend that… or I herd that the tranny… I own a GTR haven’t launched it and its plenty fast and I am enjoying every second of it and hopefully you guys can understand what I am saying here for me the decision was between the M3 or the GTR and I chose the GTR and I am happy with it good luck and have funny with your cars
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 03:09 AM   #27
rob612
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: e92 - m3

ouch...
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 03:32 AM   #28
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2high2aim View Post
Most of the comments on this thread are false the GTR transmission is not weak.
Which comments in particular are flat out false?

Quote:
Also I am a member of NAGTROC and there have been very few broken transmissions and with the hype of the car any little imperfection is extravagated. Its true a few GTR transmissions have broken and they were all do too some kind of recklessness such as constant tracking and launching without proper warm up and maintenance and few mileage or modifying the GTR.
Now that is surely false. There have been a lot of failed transmissions, NAGTROC and otherwise. It is definitely not very few or "a few". Secondly how could you possibly know how each car was used or abused that had a failed transmission? You can't becuase there are certainly those on NAGTROC that were not abused and then those that failed but the owner does not even visit NAGTROC.

I certainly agree that with a hot and new car things get blown out of proportion, it has happened with stuff like the M3 M-DCT software and incorrect lubricant changes with M-DCT. Do have a read of your own owners manual, turn VDC off, which is required for launch control and your warranty is void. Not good, no matter how you look at it.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 11:26 AM   #29
Advskier
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Most of the comments on this thread are false the GTR transmission is not weak. Also I am a member of NAGTROC and there have been very few broken transmissions and with the hype of the car any little imperfection is extravagated. Its true a few GTR transmissions have broken and they were all do too some kind of recklessness such as constant tracking and launching without proper warm up and maintenance and few mileage or modifying the GTR. I own a GTR havenít launched it and its plenty fast and I am enjoying every second of it and hopefully you guys can understand what I am saying here for me the decision was between the M3 or the GTR and I chose the GTR and I am happy with it good luck and have funny with your cars
First off, you know of transmission failures, but do you know about ALL of them? The fact that you personally know of a few means there are several, since you don't know about every GTR in the world. How do you know how they failed?

Second, you have a GTR but haven't launched it. Why not? I'd venture to say that most M3's with DCT will get launched at some point, and the transmission won't grenade.

Third, why is Nissan taking out launch control?
It seems like Ferrari and BMW are leaving their launch control in and backing up their cars, why not Nissan?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 07:55 PM   #30
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 08 IB E92 M3

Quote:
... car any little imperfection is extravagated.
"extravagated"? That's not a word. I assume you mean exaggerated. IMO, no, it's not exaggerated. It reminds me of the famous S54 engine bearing recall. The problem seems to be real. Whereas, BMW fixed that, Nissan seems to say to the GTR owners, "up yours". Nissan's fix? Castrate the transmission -- no more LC.

I agree it's a great performance car. They have problems, but hey, with that much power what is one to expect. Higher performance cars have always commanded a premium, not just in price but in care. However, Nissan should fix the problem and their dealers should honor the warranties.

This is why I will not buy a performance car from Nissan; their cars are good but their dealers (sales, service and parts) suck. They should hang a sign out front that says "be prepared to bend over". BMW dealers are not the greatest, but they're orders of magnitude better than Nissan. When you have a performance car a notch or two above the rest of the cars on the road you need service that's a notch or two above the rest. In this respect Nissan fails.

But there are all the reasons to get an M3 over the GTR, just that performance is not one of them. The GTR is faster, no doubt. But the M3 is more comfortable, more practical, put together better, easier and much less costly to maintain, more fun to drive, and if you have the M-DCT, you can actually use the LC and not have to worry about BMW not fixing the transmission if it breaks.

I've been assimilated. 6MT/ZPP/18"/PS extended.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 08:55 PM   #31
d_dot
4 * General
United_States
Rep

Drives: F12 M6,Audi R8 Lambo Gallardo

Send a message via AIM to d_dot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advskier View Post
For the price of the GTR, add-ons, and new transmission he could have bought a nice car.
lmao
      01-03-2009, 03:30 AM   #32
2high2aim
Private
Rep

Swamp2 I have read several of your posts previously and know how intelligent and knowledgeable you are of automobiles. I have read this because I was going to get an M3 with the DCT. But your statements in this thread I would have to disagree with first off.

First you asked this question but you already had the answer to and stated it.

Secondly how could you possibly know how each car was used or abused that had a failed transmission? You can't becuase there are certainly those on NAGTROC that were not abused and then those that failed but the owner does not even visit NAGTROC.

HERE IS MY QUESTION TO YOU…Can you give me an example of someone that broke their transmission with out launching it(or better yet have enough miles to break in the car properly)?

HERE is owner his name is John Reese and in this thread it is specifically talking about what he was trying to accomplish…
http://www.gtrblog.com/index.php/200...-the--1?blog=4

Now that you got some more info of what has been done it specifically states that John Reese was trying to “discover the factual limits of the Nissan GT-R.” In DCTs one of the teeth’s start to crack after time of hard abuse by such things as launch control because it’s an all wheel drive car it has more stress on the wheels and the wheel hop is what causes the damage to the transmission. As one or several teeth weaken time after time the cracks become bigger until one of the teeth brake and then cause it to grind against and between the gears and thus causing the transmission to fail.

Quote:
First off, you know of transmission failures, but do you know about ALL of them? The fact that you personally know of a few means there are several, since you don't know about every GTR in the world. How do you know how they failed?
I personally do not know any but the one I speak of, is about John Reese’s GTR and I have read this from a creditable source. I have herd of many others on the Internet but haven’t you learned that everything on the net is not always true. I can say I have a rocket in my back yard and that does not mean its true you simply believing in things you hear form the Internet is not wise. And for one no one can know ALL cases I am not God and if YOU DO can you please post…
1. what cause the transmission problem
2. the owner of the GTR
3. and where you got your information form
Until you have proved these basic information everything that you say is not creditable.

You asked how do I know how they failed? My answer is simply because I have read and heard about it from a few owners that had their transmissions fail. And oh yea I remember some asked why doesn’t Nissan take responsibility for their failures and they have in Japan they recalled the GTR on a few early production GTRs because they had some sort of solenoid issue.

Now for your other questions and statements

Quote:
Second, you have a GTR but haven't launched it. Why not? I'd venture to say that most M3's with DCT will get launched at some point, and the transmission won't grenade.
I know plenty of people that have launched their cars and not have any problems…I know a few that have Cobb tunings AP and launched it and have no problems. To answer your question I have not launched the GTR because I do not need to I haven’t taken my GTR on the drag strip and therefore I have not and because I am mature enough to not use it on streets as the car is fast enough without the need of it.

Also this issue was due to excessive launch and thus leading to continuous stress’ in the transmission’s gears. The majority of the stress is put onto the first gear and therefore having a tougher first gear would help strengthen the transmission. Aftermarket companies have already designed upgrades and if you follow that link you will find an Australian company improving and strengthening the GTR

Quote:
Third, why is Nissan taking out launch control?
It seems like Ferrari and BMW are leaving their launch control in and backing up their cars, why not Nissan?
Why the hell are you asking this? I am not Nissan. Probably they do not want to have to pay for issues and thus taking out something that stress’ the transmission would help them lead to less use of their money on the GTR and keeping a greater profit.

But there are all the reasons to get an M3 over the GTR, just that performance is not one of them. The GTR is faster, no doubt. But the M3 is more comfortable, more practical, put together better, easier and much less costly to maintain, more fun to drive, and if you have the M-DCT, you can actually use the LC and not have to worry about BMW not fixing the transmission if it breaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
First off I would like to thank you for being an sshole sorry for the error but there is no need in correction and exploitation this is an internet forum and I wrote a quick response not an essay or document so please do not be a jerk and I am sorry for calling you an a$$h0le. Now lets get back to the subject and I do respect you on your own opinion but you have to understand that people choose different cars based on different criteria such as performance, comfort, luxury, status, fuel economy, practicality, and price. For me I was looking into buying a car with performance if you want comfort then you can get a beautiful seven series. My friend has one and it’s luxurious but for me I wanted performance and uniqueness and therefore I got the GTR and this was a hard decision for me to make but I am happy with my decision.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 07:52 AM   #33
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Netherlands
Rep

Drives: AW 1M , Assetto Corsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
"extravagated"? That's not a word. I assume you mean exaggerated. IMO, no, it's not exaggerated. It reminds me of the famous S54 engine bearing recall. The problem seems to be real. Whereas, BMW fixed that, Nissan seems to say to the GTR owners, "up yours". Nissan's fix? Castrate the transmission -- no more LC.

I agree it's a great performance car. They have problems, but hey, with that much power what is one to expect. Higher performance cars have always commanded a premium, not just in price but in care. However, Nissan should fix the problem and their dealers should honor the warranties.

This is why I will not buy a performance car from Nissan; their cars are good but their dealers (sales, service and parts) suck. They should hang a sign out front that says "be prepared to bend over". BMW dealers are not the greatest, but they're orders of magnitude better than Nissan. When you have a performance car a notch or two above the rest of the cars on the road you need service that's a notch or two above the rest. In this respect Nissan fails.

ex∑trav∑a∑gate (k-strv-gt)
intr.v. ex∑trav∑a∑gat∑ed, ex∑trav∑a∑gat∑ing, ex∑trav∑a∑gates Archaic
To exceed reasonable limits or bounds.

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 09:40 AM   #34
MachineDriver
Family Man
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 E92 M3

I don't like the GTR because the dealer asked $125K. At that price the Nissan kinda looked shitty. If the dealer couldn't make up as much of the cost the franchise up front at purchase I know they were gonna screw me on service. If I wanted a car that would cost ten of thousands to maintain it's gonna be Italian. Oh I wanted a GTR. I just didn't want to get ss-raped. I was under the impression that the car cost about the same as an M3. At whatever dealer markup you choose there are better cars for the money. It's kinda like a state-of-the-art time bomb. Even if the tranny doesn't blow the service is gonna cost you. So much for Japanese reliability and economy. I'll take whatever pre-owned Ferrari that costs the same as the markup du jour. It'll probably cost less to maintain.
      01-03-2009, 11:59 AM   #35
gemini330zhp
Major
Philippines
Rep

Drives: 2008 M3 E90

Thats whats racing is all about breaking things. I would not rag on the GTR. Our Ms have DCT problems, ECU replacements. Fuel pump issues, limp mode ect.... the list goes on. The M is not a perfect car either.

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 05:51 PM   #36
2high2aim
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
ex∑trav∑a∑gate (k-strv-gt)
intr.v. ex∑trav∑a∑gat∑ed, ex∑trav∑a∑gat∑ing, ex∑trav∑a∑gates Archaic
To exceed reasonable limits or bounds.

thanks lol , i bet he feels stupid now lol
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 05:54 PM   #37
2high2aim
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini330zhp View Post
Thats whats racing is all about breaking things. I would not rag on the GTR. Our Ms have DCT problems, ECU replacements. Fuel pump issues, limp mode ect.... the list goes on. The M is not a perfect car either.
This is what I was trying to point out there is a few transmissions that actually have problems and the rest are from trolls and haters. All cars have a few issues and I am just trying to say that the GTR transmission is nothing to be afraid of I drive it and I have no problems whatsoever. I still do love the M3 and the 3 series in general. Take care guys and I hope my previous post and link clears all the confusion up.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 06:57 PM   #38
devo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: .2GT3/335Cpe/991 GT3 coming
Location: thinking about cars, girls and money, not necessarily in that order.

Quote:
This is what I was trying to point out there is a few transmissions that actually have problems and the rest are from trolls and haters. All cars have a few issues and I am just trying to say that the GTR transmission is nothing to be afraid of I drive it and I have no problems whatsoever. I still do love the M3 and the 3 series in general. Take care guys and I hope my previous post and link clears all the confusion up.
The difference being that BMW actually covers the defective parts under warranty and has continued to offer launch control for 2009 and on. The same can not be said for Nissan.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 06:38 PM   #39
Advskier
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini330zhp View Post
BMW fixes all these things under warranty, even if you track the car. For that matter, they have a driving school to teach you how.

Nissan would not take launch control away (especially when other high end cars are offering it more and more) unless it was a problem. And if it is a problem, they should stand behind it.
Then again, I can see where it might get expensive, because if they do stand behind it, what's to stop owners from using it after getting replacements transmissions?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 08:40 PM   #40
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep

Drives: M6

Quote:
BMW fixes all these things under warranty, even if you track the car. For that matter, they have a driving school to teach you how.
If you break a part on the track they're not going to fix it. Even the owner's manual clearly states this.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 09:40 PM   #41
Advskier
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The owners manual might state it, but how many owners are going to go to their dealer and state the broke their car at the track.

Nissan uses GPS (in Japan) to check, and checks computer logs to see how hard the car was pushed, if launch control was used, etc.

Big difference.

Plus, we aren't reading about BMW transmissions failing, and BMW denying warranty claims.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 11:45 PM   #42
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep

Drives: M6

Quote:
The owners manual might state it, but how many owners are going to go to their dealer and state the broke their car at the track.
So what you're saying is that you should lie to your dealership about why a part broke? Wouldn't that be fraud?

Very interesting.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 01:47 AM   #43
guarnibl
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: Depends on the day.

Quote:
the GTR transmission is not weak.
lol
2009 Jeep Wrangler on 42's, LS7, Custom Baja Cage
2014 Grand Cherokee (wife's dd)