BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-11-2009, 05:28 AM   #1
TWiTCHY
Lieutenant Colonel
 
TWiTCHY's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 X3 35i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bellevue, WA

Posts: 1,762
iTrader: (0)

Monopods

I've only used a Dynex $30 Monopod once at a car show and they seem quite useful as an alternative to tripods when you need to be on the move, or the event you've attended doesn't allow the use of one.

I will be going to Whistler with my family to take pictures and I can pretty much take everything that I have for my camera with me. I'm beginning to get serious with making my pictures as sharp as possible, and one of the best ways to do that is with something to support the camera, reducing vibrations.

A monopod would be a great alternative to a tripod because they're much lighter, easily and quickly collapses, and can double as a walking/hiking stick when you're climbing a hill

The problem is, to my understanding at least, is that all monopods function pretty much the same way, and do their jobs just as well, equally.


I ran into a $100 Velbon Carbon Fiber monopod at Best Buys and decided to pull it out of its box. It extends to the same height, provides the same stability, and same function as a $30 Dynex monopod. What gives? It's certainly lighter, but given that it's $70 more for a few less ounces, is it really worth the extra money?
TWiTCHY is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2009, 07:24 AM   #2
SixDegrees
Lieutenant
 
SixDegrees's Avatar
 
Drives: M135i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Scotland

Posts: 445
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 Abarth 500  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWiTCHY View Post
I've only used a Dynex $30 Monopod once at a car show and they seem quite useful as an alternative to tripods when you need to be on the move, or the event you've attended doesn't allow the use of one.

I will be going to Whistler with my family to take pictures and I can pretty much take everything that I have for my camera with me. I'm beginning to get serious with making my pictures as sharp as possible, and one of the best ways to do that is with something to support the camera, reducing vibrations.

A monopod would be a great alternative to a tripod because they're much lighter, easily and quickly collapses, and can double as a walking/hiking stick when you're climbing a hill

The problem is, to my understanding at least, is that all monopods function pretty much the same way, and do their jobs just as well, equally.


I ran into a $100 Velbon Carbon Fiber monopod at Best Buys and decided to pull it out of its box. It extends to the same height, provides the same stability, and same function as a $30 Dynex monopod. What gives? It's certainly lighter, but given that it's $70 more for a few less ounces, is it really worth the extra money?
Just ready an article in one of my Photo mags which ad a Monopod review (6 or 8 'pods'), I;ll dig it and out and see what they said you need to look for.

__________________
2014 [14] M135i, 3dr, MG, Auto, SP, CP, HS, HK and FBP
Recent Past.....
2011 [61] Abarth 500, Funk White, Leather, H&R
2007 [57] 320d M-Sport Touring
Pre 2007 - GT TDI 4MO, Mk4 R32, A3 TQ, A3T, Cupra R and on and on and on.....
SixDegrees is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2009, 09:32 AM   #3
Teshi
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: Blue/Usually full of camera ge
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Harrow - London

Posts: 357
iTrader: (0)

Difference in price reflects on material used mainly to be honest. Also the type of head. Some monopods will give you the option of using ballheads.

In all honesty, if you can maintain a shutter speed of 1/focal length of your lens(or faster), should eliminate any major shakes.

What you need to remember is NO support aid in the world will stop people from moving about in photos so think about other ways to keep shutter speeds up which increases sharpness. Stopping a lens also does so.

Simply using a tripod/monopod will not do the trick. Just some tips there.
Teshi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2009, 03:27 PM   #4
TWiTCHY
Lieutenant Colonel
 
TWiTCHY's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 X3 35i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bellevue, WA

Posts: 1,762
iTrader: (0)

It's much better than hand-holding the camera in the bitter-cold

And I keep hearing about that tip, to keep the denominator of the shutter speed equal to or greater to the focal length of your lens. What if it's a zoom lens? Like a 55-200mm. If you were at 55mm, would it be 1/55+?
TWiTCHY is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2009, 04:15 PM   #5
BMW F22
Major General
 
BMW F22's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Around the Bay

Posts: 8,280
iTrader: (8)

^ you got it- if it's 55 then you should do 1/55+ and so on. To get sharp pictures you would also need a good lens.
BMW F22 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2009, 07:23 PM   #6
Teshi
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: Blue/Usually full of camera ge
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Harrow - London

Posts: 357
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWiTCHY View Post
It's much better than hand-holding the camera in the bitter-cold

And I keep hearing about that tip, to keep the denominator of the shutter speed equal to or greater to the focal length of your lens. What if it's a zoom lens? Like a 55-200mm. If you were at 55mm, would it be 1/55+?
That is correct. At 200mm you might need to et faster than 1/200. As your focal length increases, so does the need for a fast shutter speed. Ideally usuing a focal length of anything longer than 300mm ii would go 1.5x over if I can unless you can practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
^ you got it- if it's 55 then you should do 1/55+ and so on. To get sharp pictures you would also need a good lens.
Myth. You can take any lens and get a nice high end picture providing its in working order and free from defects and you assume there is no user error. There is no lens out there which I have not used which has given me a bad picture. It all boils down to practice.

Any lens in my bag has been bought without trying first and all sharp. Im sure if you gave me any kit, I could show it the same accuracy.
Teshi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2009, 06:29 PM   #7
dcstep
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

Posts: 4,810
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
I've been using a carbon fiber Manfrotto mono-pod for about two years and love it. Combine it with IS and you can "hand-hold" down to like 1/10-second. My camera has very low noise up to ISO 6400, so the combination of IS, the m-pod and high ISO really opens up a huge range of possibilities in evening and morning light or indoors.

I use the m-pod for scenics and telephoto, up to my 400 mm limit. Once again, the extra degree of steadyness brings my fhi-def, full frame picture quality up a knotch or two. When I blow them up on the 1080p Sony they look great even very close to the screen.

It's not as steady as my tripod, BUT it's way more convenient to carry and it'll fit in my roller bag for trips. I only use the tripod for long exposures, some macro and making Ebay photographs.

Dave
dcstep is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2009, 07:18 PM   #8
TWiTCHY
Lieutenant Colonel
 
TWiTCHY's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 X3 35i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bellevue, WA

Posts: 1,762
iTrader: (0)

So Manfrotto or Velbon?

EDIT: Nevermind. The Manfrotto is $75 more
TWiTCHY is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2009, 08:02 PM   #9
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
 
asdflkijd's Avatar
 
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 5,503
iTrader: (14)

Garage List
I have a Manfrotto mono-pod that came with my Kata backpack, I haven't gotten a chance to use it yet because I left it back in my apt in NY. But from my understanding the carbon would be better since its lighter if you are carrying a load of stuff.. but if its just the camera, lens and monopod, it shouldn't be to hard to carry those. Have you tried looking into a carbon tri-pod? If you can get your hands on a good one, it won't be much heavier than your monopod and certainly will be better.
asdflkijd is offline   South Korea
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2009, 01:02 AM   #10
TWiTCHY
Lieutenant Colonel
 
TWiTCHY's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 X3 35i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bellevue, WA

Posts: 1,762
iTrader: (0)

Yes, I've looked into them but they are way too expensive and I use them rarely. It wouldn't be worth it. A $30 Dynex might have to do.
TWiTCHY is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST