BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

12-22-2008, 11:40 PM   #23
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Is it possible to NOT have blow-off this audible for those who would rather have it sound more subtle, stock-like or stealthy?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 11:53 PM   #24
JMD0977
Captain

Drives: 2010 GT3 and ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias View Post
Dyno!
+1!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 11:56 PM   #25
Banned

Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
Is it possible to NOT have blow-off this audible for those who would rather have it sound more subtle, stock-like or stealthy?
It is possible, you can probably a do a bypass valve for extra. Most people will want the blow off valve to let people know the car is not your average M3.
Sticky is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 03:06 AM   #26
dvpouldar26
Major

Drives: 2008 e92 328i, Porsche 987.1

The 335i vs. m3 wars are going to start. While the RD stroker and superchargers are coming out, the ASR engineering and GT pro twin turbo kits are coming out for the n54. It is going to be interesting to see who comes out on top. The N54 has alot of low-end torque, while the m3 has a lot of high-end hp.

By the looks of it, the AA supercharger is using an air-to-water intercooler(in comparison to the air-to-air intercoolres in the e46), with the heat exchanger in the front. By the sound in the video, they are probably using a centrifugal supercharger (like the Rotrex in the e46's) because there isn't much room for a twin-screw, or roots style blower, and there wasn't much of a high pitch whine like that of a roots or twin-screw. Like VF, they probably incorporated the intercooler into the intake manifold, but these are all guesses from the pics and videos.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 03:19 AM   #27
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvpouldar26 View Post
The 335i vs. m3 wars are going to start. While the RD stroker and superchargers are coming out, the ASR engineering and GT pro twin turbo kits are coming out for the n54. It is going to be interesting to see who comes out on top. The N54 has alot of low-end torque, while the m3 has a lot of high-end hp.

By the looks of it, the AA supercharger is using an air-to-water intercooler(in comparison to the air-to-air intercoolres in the e46), with the heat exchanger in the front. By the sound in the video, they are probably using a centrifugal supercharger (like the Rotrex in the e46's) because there isn't much room for a twin-screw, or roots style blower, and there wasn't much of a high pitch whine like that of a roots or twin-screw. Like VF, they probably incorporated the intercooler into the intake manifold, but these are all guesses from the pics and videos.
It isn't going to be interesting, the M3 is the superior all around platform. It was obvious from the beginning to anyone with any experience with forced induction M3's. The real question is how long until the E92 surpasses the E46 M3 with boost not the 335, which has enough trouble trying to match where the M3 is stock (good luck on pump.)

Of course it is a centrifigual...
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 03:37 AM   #28
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics

Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Looking good there AA, dyno would be nice. Am sure that will come soon enough.
      12-23-2008, 03:40 AM   #29
dronell3
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 E90 M3 - sold

Sweet!...sign me up for one of these!...
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 04:02 AM   #30
swamp2
Lieutenant General

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
The 335 internals aren't as strong and the block is weak in comparison. You get what you pay for.
Speculative or any proof at all? I'm sure BMW realized folks would tune the engine for a lot of power and almost certainly even considered this during design.

However, back on topic, I'd love to hear the blowoff combined with the super fast M-DCT shifts. I'll bet we hear it first from you Sticky!
swamp2 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 04:06 AM   #31
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Speculative or any proof at all? I'm sure BMW realized folks would tune the engine for a lot of power and almost certainly even considered this during design.

However, back on topic, I'd love to hear the blowoff combined with the super fast M-DCT shifts. I'll bet we hear it first from you Sticky!
Not speculative at all, if you take a look a look at the concerns of individuals on e90post the block strength in a main concern. The M3 block has the same blend and is built separately at the same factory as the F1 V8 blocks were built, the aluminum-silicon is VERY strong and light.

BMW did not intend for people to bolt off the turbos and bolt on different ones. That is partly why they made it difficult in the way they integrated the turbos to the manifold. The car was not designed with 500+ wheel in mind. Why do you think BMW cracks down hard on aftermarket tunes?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 04:11 AM   #32
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics

Quote:
Not speculative at all, if you take a look a look at the concerns of individuals on e90post the block strength in a main concern. The M3 block has the same blend and is built separately at the same factory as the F1 V8 blocks were built, the aluminum-silicon is VERY strong and light.

BMW did not intend for people to bolt off the turbos and bolt on different ones. That is partly why they made it difficult in the way they integrated the turbos to the manifold. The car was not designed with 500+ wheel in mind. Why do you think BMW cracks down hard on aftermarket tunes?
+1, donīt honestly think BMW built engines thinking about how people would tune them in the aftermarket.
      12-23-2008, 04:13 AM   #33
saintm3

Drives: e46 s/c m3

Outstanding as usual well done AA
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 09:05 AM   #34
Omar@ActiveAutowerke

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by knext21 View Post
Would I be able to see this if I stopped by the shop?
I guess.. Why not
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 09:20 AM   #35
Daas87
Private First Class

Drives: E92 M3-DCT

Quote:
Love the blow off with the supercharger.

Is there a better pic of the FMIC?

Who will win the race to release, ESS, Active, or VF? We will have lots of tuning options. Where are the people who said the M3 can't be tuned now? These supercharged M3's are going to take a big fat dump across the hood of 335's and anything else that happens to come along.
Lol. I agree that blow off sound seriously sounds great. In person must sound unreal. Can't wait to see the dyno.

Also the arguments about the cost of supercharger kit costs? We spend 8000$ on wheels and $10k+ for a performance leap this big is alot ?
Daas87 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 11:46 AM   #36
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd54 View Post
You can feel bad for me having a stroker motor, but I feel bad since you're clearly the only 'certified dumbass' posting here. As hard as it was to sift through your incoherent post, I cannot for the life of me figure out what you're trying to accomplish. There are numerous reasons I chose to purchase an E92 M3, in addition to my other vehicles which I don't post about, and none of those reasons concern you.

Additionally, I would have no interest in a supercharger kit even if it was given to me for free. To each their own.
+ 1 million ND54. Clearly this guy presents the typical resentment associated with those that canīt have their own and feel compelled to demonstrate their hatred by deriding and ridiculing our vehicles. Live and let live I say!

Perhaps its time to refocus this thread to AA and its development instead mocking other tuners.
      12-23-2008, 12:13 PM   #37
M2381
Major

Drives: E92 M3, GTI

Might have to drop by next time I'm down in miami
      12-23-2008, 12:20 PM   #38
silverbullet135i
Brigadier General

Drives: AW E90 335i ///M Sport

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to silverbullet135i Send a message via MSN to silverbullet135i
Oh My.....
silverbullet135i is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 12:38 PM   #39
Jason
Administrator

Drives: E90 M3

Alright everyone cool it .. any further off-topic arguments will be removed. This is not a thread to argue 335i vs. M3 or stroke kit vs. supercharger. If you want to do that, please feel free to start another thread.

Good job AA!!
Jason is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 12:44 PM   #40
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics

So, when can we expect dynos!!! My money is that this kit produces about 530 bhp (not wheel). Weīll see.
      12-23-2008, 12:49 PM   #41
Vince@ V K Motorwerks
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 01 Black 911 Turbo, 09 X5

Nice work AA, the kit sounds amazing.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 12:57 PM   #42
A418t81
Major

Drives: F80 M3/997TT

Garage List
Quote:

10-15k for 100 hp? More like 250+ hp. Did you see the ESS dyno? They hit 600 wheel on PUMP. That is actually a 250 wheel hp increase, so ~300 at the crank. Good luck beating that gain for the dollar on the 335. Good luck doing it on pump. The 335 internals aren't as strong and the block is weak in comparison. You get what you pay for.
Yeah, we'll see about that. BMW's NA 6s have always responded well to boost and have always proven to be very strong and we're talking about versions they never engineered for boost. You can delude yourself any way that you like, but for them to design a turbo engine that can't handle 500 whp (which their NA ones can do perfectly fine) is a fairly asinine assumption. I'm not talking about all out power production potential, the M3 is a V8 with significantly more displacement, but to say that an NA engine's internals are stronger than a turbo motor's with absolutely NO data to support your claim other than "its an M, yO" is ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 01:01 PM   #43
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics

Quote:
Originally Posted by A418t81 View Post
Yeah, we'll see about that. BMW's NA 6s have always responded well to boost and have always proven to be very strong and we're talking about versions they never engineered for boost. You can delude yourself any way that you like, but for them to design a turbo engine that can't handle 500 whp (which their NA ones can do perfectly fine) is a fairly asinine assumption. I'm not talking about all out power production potential, the M3 is a V8 with significantly more displacement, but to say that an NA engine's internals are stronger than a turbo motor's with absolutely NO data to support your claim other than "its an M, yO" is ridiculous.
Please show my a dyno of an E46 that makes 500whp? Must be amazing really!!
      12-23-2008, 01:07 PM   #44
Ryan@Motorwerks
Captain

Drives: 335i Coupe

sounds amazing
Appreciate 0