BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
ESS Tuning
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-19-2008, 08:05 PM   #1
ChrisFastM3
Captain
ChrisFastM3's Avatar
25
Rep
676
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3 vert w/ LOTS of mods
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (0)

Secret Millionaire

This show is humbling. One of the most heart wrenching shows I've seen... I'll admit it got me choked up a bit at times.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/49659/secr...aire-episode-6

count your blessings

Discuss...
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 08:06 PM   #2
FStop7
I like cars
FStop7's Avatar
Vatican City State
95
Rep
5,059
Posts

 
Drives: M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Newbury Park, CA

iTrader: (3)

are you serious
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 08:20 PM   #3
PLAYON
Major
PLAYON's Avatar
United_States
46
Rep
1,414
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 550i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2003 Audi A4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
are you serious
+1, this show fails sooOoo hard. . .corny/scripted as f*ck. ..

"reality TV FTL, Secret Millionare FTMFL"
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 09:02 PM   #4
ChrisFastM3
Captain
ChrisFastM3's Avatar
25
Rep
676
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3 vert w/ LOTS of mods
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
are you serious
Yes,

I'm not a millionaire... yet, but it helped me remember how blessed I am to have a supportive family that gave me the courage & strength to chase after my dreams & aspirations, the importance of charity in how the smallest actions could have a profound affect on someone, & how lucky I am to be born in the US where every person has the opportunity for greatness. Thats what I got out of it.

My dad came here as an immigrant at 8 years old with my grandparents, aunt & uncle. They all lived together in a 2 bedroom place in the Miami ghetto when they 1st got here. My grandfather was a construction worker & my grandmother was a maid. My dad worked full time & went to school full time as well. He then became a successful banker over time. He left banking to chase his dream once he had the opportunity & is now very successful by any stretch of the imagination.

Count your blessings....
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 09:07 PM   #5
FStop7
I like cars
FStop7's Avatar
Vatican City State
95
Rep
5,059
Posts

 
Drives: M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Newbury Park, CA

iTrader: (3)

...

no offense, but if it took a fake reality show to remind you of those things then you're easily distracted.

but what you wrote is that it's 'humbling' and 'heart-wrenching' - it's fake reality, poorly scripted. come on.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 09:19 PM   #6
number335
Second Lieutenant
number335's Avatar
5
Rep
255
Posts

 
Drives: E92 Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

It's difficult for me to take this show seriously when it is so obviously scripted. First of all, somehow these millionaires are able to locate these "people in need" on their own and these people never ask why there is a camera man following them around? I don't doubt that they are helping people on this show, but it's not really as "secret" as the title suggests.

There was another show that came out a few years ago called Good Samaritan, or something. That was a much better show. They rewarded people who were selfless and came to the aid of the "planted" people in need of help. For example, they planted a guy with a flat tire in a parking lot. The first person who came to his aid and helped him fix his tire received a cash reward. You would be surprised how many people don't want to assist a dude who can't change a tire.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 09:21 PM   #7
kabalm18
My car drones and I LOVE IT!!!
kabalm18's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
613
Posts

 
Drives: 1M & F10 535xi
Join Date: May 2008
Location: My House

iTrader: (0)

This show is sucks!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 09:27 PM   #8
Jred22
Meat Puppet
Jred22's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
1,126
Posts

 
Drives: 07 Jet Black 335i e92
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minneapolis

iTrader: (4)

Garage List




There, now i feel better.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 09:27 PM   #9
ChrisFastM3
Captain
ChrisFastM3's Avatar
25
Rep
676
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3 vert w/ LOTS of mods
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
...

no offense, but if it took a fake reality show to remind you of those things then you're easily distracted.

but what you wrote is that it's 'humbling' and 'heart-wrenching' - it's fake reality, poorly scripted. come on.
None taken. In my life it seems that 99% of people have no idea how lucky they are to be in this country as well as forget the importance of charity. It's easy to take your family for granted too. "Fake reality" or not, many people do live life like that every day. I know I must sound like a broken jukebox, but remember to count your blessings.

"heart-wrenching" was hearing how kids come home to find that their parents packed up & left them, hearing how a teenage girl had nowhere to sleep, & many more aspects of the show.

I don't see how you could think otherwise. I guess this is a testament to how desensitized we as a nation has become....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jred22 View Post
reminds me of my ex w/ bigger boobs lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by number335 View Post
It's difficult for me to take this show seriously when it is so obviously scripted. First of all, somehow these millionaires are able to locate these "people in need" on their own and these people never ask why there is a camera man following them around? I don't doubt that they are helping people on this show, but it's not really as "secret" as the title suggests.
They address how in the show. The camera guys tell the people that they are filming a documentary on poverty. Nothing else.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 05:40 AM   #10
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
63
Rep
4,250
Posts

 
Drives: E70 X5
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NOR*CAL

iTrader: (2)

tax break
__________________
2010 E92 BSM 335i | M-Sport | ST Coils | Linea Corse Lemans | Cobb AP | BMS DCI | Cyba Tips
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 09:08 AM   #11
NYSPEM3
Second Lieutenant
NYSPEM3's Avatar
3
Rep
221
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jred22 View Post

There, now i feel better.
I find this disturbing
__________________
--------------------------------------------------
E90 M3 DCT Interlagos Blue/Silver Interior, Tech Pkg, Prem Pkg, Folddown Seats, 19"... that's it

Certified V1 Zombie
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 12:58 PM   #12
IrateSpeed6
íRoca encendido!
IrateSpeed6's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
38
Posts

 
Drives: '08 STi Stage II
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Albany, NY

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to IrateSpeed6
Jred upgraded this thread to "non-suck" haha

The show... as others have said is good in its own theory, but has been carried out horribly.

Agreed on the "good samaritan" show...
__________________
Like Martin w/ no Gina
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 01:14 PM   #13
Speedtrap
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
24
Rep
1,800
Posts

 
Drives: A very fast car :)
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Damn..says it can only be streamed from the US>.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 10:48 PM   #14
darkphantom
Banned
162
Rep
5,949
Posts

 
Drives: E93 335i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The place for Bimmers

iTrader: (4)

Send a message via AIM to darkphantom
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrateSpeed6 View Post
Jred upgraded this thread to "non-suck" haha

The show... as others have said is good in its own theory, but has been carried out horribly.

Agreed on the "good samaritan" show...
carried out horribly?

I thought it was a good idea....I mean I know a few people who just go and give to random poor people...:

What's wrong with this show?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 10:59 PM   #15
darkphantom
Banned
162
Rep
5,949
Posts

 
Drives: E93 335i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The place for Bimmers

iTrader: (4)

Send a message via AIM to darkphantom
haha I take that back, saw a few eps...wow, talk about generic.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 12:32 AM   #16
urbo73
Captain
United_States
7
Rep
652
Posts

 
Drives: cars
Join Date: May 2006
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFastM3 View Post
Yes,

I'm not a millionaire... yet, but it helped me remember how blessed I am to have a supportive family that gave me the courage & strength to chase after my dreams & aspirations, the importance of charity in how the smallest actions could have a profound affect on someone, & how lucky I am to be born in the US where every person has the opportunity for greatness. Thats what I got out of it.

My dad came here as an immigrant at 8 years old with my grandparents, aunt & uncle. They all lived together in a 2 bedroom place in the Miami ghetto when they 1st got here. My grandfather was a construction worker & my grandmother was a maid. My dad worked full time & went to school full time as well. He then became a successful banker over time. He left banking to chase his dream once he had the opportunity & is now very successful by any stretch of the imagination.

Count your blessings....
That's how the US was. Too bad those days are over my friend. Nobody cares about the US anymore or the "dream". This country is going downhill. It was bound to happen, just sad, real sad to see. People had it good for too long and too many took that for granted. And you have to pay back... Geographical distance mattered. Now it doesn't. And people don't have it good anymore. Globalization = the end of the US that once was a dream for many. I'm already makind DR plans of where to move to.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 12:37 AM   #17
TiAg335i
Trance Life
TiAg335i's Avatar
United_States
112
Rep
4,711
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (4)

I'm watching it right now...I'm being entertained so that's a plus.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 01:01 AM   #18
stimpy
Colonel
38
Rep
2,149
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Phoenix AZ

iTrader: (7)

Curious... who gets the money? Are they needy people that actually got fucked over or are they just bums who didn't do anything with their lives? No college, no jobs over minimum wage, etc?
________
easy vape
________
homemade vaporizer
________
Buy Silver Surfer Vaporizer

Last edited by stimpy; 02-18-2011 at 05:46 AM.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 09:40 AM   #19
epbrown
Colonel
epbrown's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
2,133
Posts

 
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbo73 View Post
That's how the US was. Too bad those days are over my friend. Nobody cares about the US anymore or the "dream". This country is going downhill.
Reports of the demise of the America Dream are somewhat exaggerated. It's still a place where you can be successful if you work your ass off - something most American's aren't willing to do anymore, if they ever were.

One of my neighbors owns his own business and just opened his 2nd location - he came here 5 years ago with $500. He worked 2 jobs for 3 years, living off the income from one while banking the money from the other, higher-paying job.

One of my close friends owns 7 apartment buildings worth several million (even in today's market) - he bought the first by working 3 jobs and building the money over 5 years.

I could do this all day, and the common denominator would be none of the people were born here, but came here because in the US you can work your ass off and get rich, whereas in most of the world, you'll just work your ass off to live.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 04:14 PM   #20
NYSPEM3
Second Lieutenant
NYSPEM3's Avatar
3
Rep
221
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
Reports of the demise of the America Dream are somewhat exaggerated. It's still a place where you can be successful if you work your ass off - something most American's aren't willing to do anymore, if they ever were.

One of my neighbors owns his own business and just opened his 2nd location - he came here 5 years ago with $500. He worked 2 jobs for 3 years, living off the income from one while banking the money from the other, higher-paying job.

One of my close friends owns 7 apartment buildings worth several million (even in today's market) - he bought the first by working 3 jobs and building the money over 5 years.

I could do this all day, and the common denominator would be none of the people were born here, but came here because in the US you can work your ass off and get rich, whereas in most of the world, you'll just work your ass off to live.
Bravo
I have no sympathy for the poor if their condition is their own making. I feel awful for those in squalor due to illness, death in family, etc. I have zero sympathy for those who chose to get pregnant at the age 15 and suck the funds off taxpayers.

Being a fiscal conservative in this liberal city certainly does not help. I worked my @$$ off for my degrees and engineering license. I have no one to thank for my M3. I hear this nonsense about helping those less fortunate all the time. Those living in lousy neighborhoods have zero aspirations and did nothing to improve their lives. The parents could not care less about their kids' education (my wife is a high school teacher) and took the kids to vacation 2 weeks before Christmas break because tickets are cheap... who cares about the finals (WTF???!!!). They had no drive or determination whatsoever and some got pregnant before entering high school. If this is not the root cause of poverty I don't know what is... certainly not misfortune.

For those who lost their jobs due to economic downturn, short term relief must be provided--provided that they had contributed their fair share to the unemployment funds. For those who chose to live off taxpayers, I have no problem seeing them starve to death. If it takes a police state to maintain law and order, I am all for it.
__________________
--------------------------------------------------
E90 M3 DCT Interlagos Blue/Silver Interior, Tech Pkg, Prem Pkg, Folddown Seats, 19"... that's it

Certified V1 Zombie
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 04:16 PM   #21
andyffer
Banned
United_States
40
Rep
563
Posts

 
Drives: 700hp M3 - Interlagos E92
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Paradise Valley, Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
i dont tell people I am a millionaire.
Does that make me a Secret Millionaire?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 05:22 PM   #22
BMWE90
Major
BMWE90's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
1,153
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by number335 View Post
It's difficult for me to take this show seriously when it is so obviously scripted. First of all, somehow these millionaires are able to locate these "people in need" on their own and these people never ask why there is a camera man following them around? I don't doubt that they are helping people on this show, but it's not really as "secret" as the title suggests.
Those people are told that they're filming a documentary so they may or may not know.

Anyhow, I think it's an okay show even though I can tell it's pretty much scripted. Then again, most if not all reality shows are crap. The funny thing is that I actually thought of this show like while back. Well, not this exact show but I thought it might be cool to have rich people (not necessarily millionaires) work or live with average folks to see how it is and perhaps give them some money at the end. I couldn't believe they made a show out of it when I first saw the commercial.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST