BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-18-2008, 04:47 PM   #1
newtom3
First Lieutenant
United_States
5
Rep
361
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Jose, CA

iTrader: (0)

Most Ridiculous 1200 Service Experience (rant)

so my 1200 service appt has been in for two weeks at BMW Monterey (Seaside, CA). So I get there, and ask questions about what would be done, esp on the MDCT fluid change. The SA claims to not have heard anything unusual about the MDCT fluid, even though he's been there for 25 years.
How is that possible... have they not sold any 08 M3's and serviced them, ever?

OK, fine. Then he calls the Service Manager, who seems like a nice and competent enough guy. He says that usually they do change the fluid, but yes, it's a special fluid that they order right from BMW. But the SA says, well right here in the old computer, it doesn't mention to change the MDCT fluid. I can't believe that I am the first MDCT M3 to go thru this place?!?!

But that's nothing compared to what comes next. I wait for 2 hours... only to be called by the SA... who tells me that they can't do anything for the car today, because they have no parts. No parts as in NO oil, NO microfilter, NO nothing... and since they can't do that, they won't scope the car or even look at it. I drove 1.5 hours to this dealer, to wait for two hours, to be told they have no freaking engine oil?!?!? How stupid and incompetent can a service or parts department be???

Or is BMW out of stock on basic engine oil? Can you imagine such a ludicrous experience. Then they have the gall (they usually do at this point) to ask me if they should call me when the 'parts come in'..... wow.

Anyway, beware of these clowns at BMW Monterey... I'm not quite sure they can add 1 and 1, if they can't even change the oil on a new car. Good god.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
rmmcdaniel
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
247
Posts

 
Drives: '09 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicago & SF

iTrader: (0)

Yikes, that is miserable. I'm about ready to do my 1,200 mile service and I can't believe how nervous I am reading all these horror stories.
__________________
2009 E90 M3 - Silverstone/Fox Red - M-DCT, CW, PP, TP, 19", Moonroof, Sunshades, PDC, Enhanced Prem Sound, HD Radio, Sat, iPod, Smartphone Integration
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 05:30 PM   #3
newtom3
First Lieutenant
United_States
5
Rep
361
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Jose, CA

iTrader: (0)

I'm sure you'll be fine... most businesses that have been around for a while actually do their job well. Every now and then, incompetence creeps in, esp during boom times, and a business will actually fall asleep at the switch. This one for sure.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 05:34 PM   #4
gemini330zhp
Major
gemini330zhp's Avatar
Philippines
15
Rep
1,181
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3 E90
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BergenCo NewJersey

iTrader: (0)

10w60 is for all M cars!!! E46 M3, Z4M, M5, M6, E9x M3. So why dont they have a supply of motor oil there?????
__________________
2008 Jet Black E90 M3 6SPD no sunroof and 18s to my specs


Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 05:34 PM   #5
FStop7
I like cars
FStop7's Avatar
Vatican City State
98
Rep
5,059
Posts

 
Drives: M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Newbury Park, CA

iTrader: (3)

Apparently BMW changed the 1,200 mile service requirements and removed the trans fluid change from the list. Some dealerships still do it anyway because customers complain if they don't. So I wouldn't beat them up over that.

However I would beat them up over your waiting 2 hours after a 1.5 hour drive for no service. That's ridiculous, I'd demand some kind of compensation for that. You made an appointment i assume, when they took the appointment it was their responsibility to have the necessary parts ready and waiting when you got there.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 05:41 PM   #6
e46e92love
Brigadier General
e46e92love's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
3,059
Posts

 
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The East Side of Things

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to e46e92love
Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
However I would beat them up over your waiting 2 hours after a 1.5 hour drive for no service. That's ridiculous, I'd demand some kind of compensation for that. You made an appointment i assume, when they took the appointment it was their responsibility to have the necessary parts ready and waiting when you got there.
Yeah, no sh*t. That would piss me off no end......

Cheers,
e46e92
__________________

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 05:48 PM   #7
BIGNTASTIE
Lieutenant
BIGNTASTIE's Avatar
10
Rep
589
Posts

 
Drives: white/red 08 M3, 05 Rangerover
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: queens, NY

iTrader: (0)

hada a horrible experience too , messed up my car and all, goodluck dude
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 05:52 PM   #8
FStop7
I like cars
FStop7's Avatar
Vatican City State
98
Rep
5,059
Posts

 
Drives: M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Newbury Park, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGNTASTIE View Post
hada a horrible experience too , messed up my car and all, goodluck dude
You're driving from Queens to Monterey for service?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 06:06 PM   #9
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
gthirtyfizle's Avatar
83
Rep
2,808
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 AW
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NYC

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGNTASTIE View Post
hada a horrible experience too , messed up my car and all, goodluck dude
Where do u go for service?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 06:18 PM   #10
newtom3
First Lieutenant
United_States
5
Rep
361
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Jose, CA

iTrader: (0)

Folks, they told me that they had NO engine oil... they seemed to have concluded after some discussion not to touch the MDCT. But again, NOTHING was done, after 1.5 hour trip to the dealer, and waiting for 2 hours for them to start looking at it.

And, yes, the appt had been on the books for at least a week.

The GM of the dealer called me and after debugging the whole incident, is still scratching his head, as apparently it turns out they did have the parts. Gross incompetence on someones behalf, and a gross lack of concern for me the customer.

Next time I'll take my $80K somewhere else. Imagine an auto dealer being this inconsiderate during these economic times, towards their high end customers. Just stupid. Stevens Creek BMW, you're next up to bat... don't let me down!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 06:24 PM   #11
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
184
Rep
13,844
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtom3 View Post
The GM of the dealer called me and after debugging the whole incident, is still scratching his head, as apparently it turns out they did have the parts. Gross incompetence on someones behalf, and a gross lack of concern for me the customer.
Sounds to me like the SA nd the service manager talked it over and decided to come up with bullshit excuse because they did not want to service your car. Either they were too nervous because you were an educated customer and they were completely clueless, or they decided to be douches because they perceived your actions as giving them a hard time (even though you weren't, you were just trying to look out for your car).
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 06:42 PM   #12
FStop7
I like cars
FStop7's Avatar
Vatican City State
98
Rep
5,059
Posts

 
Drives: M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Newbury Park, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtom3 View Post
Folks, they told me that they had NO engine oil... they seemed to have concluded after some discussion not to touch the MDCT. But again, NOTHING was done, after 1.5 hour trip to the dealer, and waiting for 2 hours for them to start looking at it.

And, yes, the appt had been on the books for at least a week.

The GM of the dealer called me and after debugging the whole incident, is still scratching his head, as apparently it turns out they did have the parts. Gross incompetence on someones behalf, and a gross lack of concern for me the customer.

Next time I'll take my $80K somewhere else. Imagine an auto dealer being this inconsiderate during these economic times, towards their high end customers. Just stupid. Stevens Creek BMW, you're next up to bat... don't let me down!
I hear Peter Pan BMW is good despite the silly name
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 06:55 PM   #13
newtom3
First Lieutenant
United_States
5
Rep
361
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Jose, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Sounds to me like the SA nd the service manager talked it over and decided to come up with bullshit excuse because they did not want to service your car. Either they were too nervous because you were an educated customer and they were completely clueless, or they decided to be douches because they perceived your actions as giving them a hard time (even though you weren't, you were just trying to look out for your car).
The hard times from me didn't start until after the ridiculous news came. Up to that point I was willing to give them the benefit of doubt. Again, the purported reason was not because of the MDCT fluid not in stock, it was because NOTHING was in stock, including engine oil and filters. I still can't believe my ears.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 06:59 PM   #14
09E92M34ME
Captain
United_States
13
Rep
864
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: VIRGINIA

iTrader: (0)

unbelieveable
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 07:11 PM   #15
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
184
Rep
13,844
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtom3 View Post
Again, the purported reason was not because of the MDCT fluid not in stock, it was because NOTHING was in stock, including engine oil and filters. I still can't believe my ears.
Right, and that's just it - there's no way that was anything other than a complete fabrication. As you said, GM of the dealership confirmed they had the correct items in stock to perform the service. They just didn't want to deal with you, which like I said, makes them douches.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 09:51 PM   #16
MysticBlue
Major
18
Rep
1,315
Posts

 
Drives: '09 M3 DCT Coupe, ---'15 x50i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Eastern Oregon... They call 'em rigs here

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
Apparently BMW changed the 1,200 mile service requirements and removed the trans fluid change from the list. Some dealerships still do it anyway because customers complain if they don't. So I wouldn't beat them up over that.
I would. This was a major problem for a lot of customers starting, what, almost a year ago? Major problem, as in, cratered transmissions. Has been a major topic on this and other forums with countless threads. The furor has for the most part died down lately because dealers have finally become educated (well, most of them). If they don't know how to service a DCT car by now, I would have turned around right then and there and walked out. Never would have gotten to the rest of this horror story. Absolutely no excuse at this point for not knowing how to treat a DCT car. And of course, no excuse for the rest of it either.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 10:08 PM   #17
HotLap
First Lieutenant
HotLap's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
376
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3 Vert / 535i Twin turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
You're driving from Queens to Monterey for service?
tsk, tsk...
__________________
M3 ...the ultimate driving machine
2008 M3 6MT Cabrio, Jerez Black w/ Bamboo Beige interior, Tech/Preimum Packages, I-Pod, SAT/HD Radio, 19" MWheels
2008 535i tt, 6MT, Monaco Blue w/ Cream Beige interior, Preimim/Cold Weather/Sport Packages, HUD, HD Radio, etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 10:11 PM   #18
HotLap
First Lieutenant
HotLap's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
376
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3 Vert / 535i Twin turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
I would. This was a major problem for a lot of customers starting, what, almost a year ago? Major problem, as in, cratered transmissions. Has been a major topic on this and other forums with countless threads. The furor has for the most part died down lately because dealers have finally become educated (well, most of them). If they don't know how to service a DCT car by now, I would have turned around right then and there and walked out. Never would have gotten to the rest of this horror story. Absolutely no excuse at this point for not knowing how to treat a DCT car. And of course, no excuse for the rest of it either.
Agreed, my local BMW dealer is about to move into a new expanded building and the SA "excitedly" told me that - "everything is finally updated - we even get new computers so we can perform up to date service" ...sheesh...I wouldn't be bragging about that statement. The US is probably the worst country as far as not being up on the newest BMW service procedures, etc.
__________________
M3 ...the ultimate driving machine
2008 M3 6MT Cabrio, Jerez Black w/ Bamboo Beige interior, Tech/Preimum Packages, I-Pod, SAT/HD Radio, 19" MWheels
2008 535i tt, 6MT, Monaco Blue w/ Cream Beige interior, Preimim/Cold Weather/Sport Packages, HUD, HD Radio, etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 10:27 PM   #19
monk
Second Lieutenant
monk's Avatar
3
Rep
249
Posts

 
Drives: 08 M3 Space Gray Coupe 6M
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA

iTrader: (1)

Do they have the poster said: "WE RESERVE THE RIGHTS TO REFUSE SERVICE TO ANYONE" ?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 10:53 PM   #20
newtom3
First Lieutenant
United_States
5
Rep
361
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Jose, CA

iTrader: (0)

well yes.. and I did show up without shoes... so... well not really. I actually was quite cordial and did not raise my voice at all at any time. I did speak specifically and with accurate adjectives what I thought of their process control. But no four letter or otherwise colorful words. That just weakens your case.

Let's just see what Stevens Creek BMW does for me tomorrow... I am going to ask the MDCT fluid question to them and report on their answer.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST