BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-21-2008, 07:03 PM   #1
doba_s
Major General
doba_s's Avatar
United_States
148
Rep
6,099
Posts

 
Drives: M3, 1M
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (26)

Send a message via Skype™ to doba_s
Arrow New Dinan 3.62 FD for DCT

I had a chance today to check out Dinan facility in Morgan Hill. Very nice place and everyone there looked super busy ... good thing I guess !

Anyway ... I was kind of set on upgrading my final drive and to go with 3.45 that they offer. But decided to ask if they have any plans to release 3.62 final drive, and Chris told me that they can sell me one today ! I was very happy to hear that ! We went to talk to the person who is actually working on it right now and he told me that they have unit that are ready to go, but they are not done yet with R&D and want to test it first on their car to make sure everything will be ok ! So, they are planing to release it in about 1 week or so.

I also went on a drive with one of the guys who has 3.45 final drive and I was very impressed ! So, my guess is that you can expect even more from 3.62.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 09:13 PM   #2
Sticky2
Banned
1
Rep
30
Posts

 
Drives: PG nuts
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: ?

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doba_s View Post
I had a chance today to check out Dinan facility in Morgan Hill. Very nice place and everyone there looked super busy ... good thing I guess !

Anyway ... I was kind of set on upgrading my final drive and to go with 3.45 that they offer. But decided to ask if they have any plans to release 3.62 final drive, and Chris told me that they can sell me one today ! I was very happy to hear that ! We went to talk to the person who is actually working on it right now and he told me that they have unit that are ready to go, but they are not done yet with R&D and want to test it first on their car to make sure everything will be ok ! So, they are planing to release it in about 1 week or so.

I also went on a drive with one of the guys who has 3.45 final drive and I was very impressed ! So, my guess is that you can expect even more from 3.62.
Tell me more about the drive with the 3.45. Should have felt significantly faster.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2008, 01:22 PM   #3
doba_s
Major General
doba_s's Avatar
United_States
148
Rep
6,099
Posts

 
Drives: M3, 1M
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (26)

Send a message via Skype™ to doba_s
I was surprised how the car behaved ... even in D mode it felt like you are driving in M mode ... With 3.45 there is 9.5% increase in torque, and with 3.62 they are saying it will be around 14.5% increase. Sounds good to me !
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 03:46 PM   #4
labelexec
Lieutenant
labelexec's Avatar
17
Rep
403
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 Matte Black RSSport M3
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Orange County

iTrader: (2)

what's the eta for the 3.62 to be released?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 11:25 PM   #5
M3 996
Private First Class
4
Rep
183
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

More impressions of the test drive please??? I am seriously considering this mod too...
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 02:18 AM   #6
Sticky
Banned
United_States
30
Rep
2,244
Posts

 
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills / Malibu

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by labelexec View Post
what's the eta for the 3.62 to be released?
Diffsonline already has it, for less money.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 11:46 AM   #7
doba_s
Major General
doba_s's Avatar
United_States
148
Rep
6,099
Posts

 
Drives: M3, 1M
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (26)

Send a message via Skype™ to doba_s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
Diffsonline already has it, for less money.
with 15% rebate from Dinan the difference in the price is not big at all ... plus everything is still under warranty
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 11:48 AM   #8
doba_s
Major General
doba_s's Avatar
United_States
148
Rep
6,099
Posts

 
Drives: M3, 1M
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (26)

Send a message via Skype™ to doba_s
Quote:
Originally Posted by labelexec View Post
what's the eta for the 3.62 to be released?
i called Dinan on friday and left a message ... i will keep you guys posted
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 05:25 PM   #9
Sticky
Banned
United_States
30
Rep
2,244
Posts

 
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills / Malibu

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doba_s View Post
with 15% rebate from Dinan the difference in the price is not big at all ... plus everything is still under warranty
Under Dinan warranty... which is the same thing as the diffsonline warranty. It breaks, you get a new part.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 06:12 PM   #10
Mischievous M
First Lieutenant
Mischievous M's Avatar
Brunei
5
Rep
330
Posts

 
Drives: BMW (E92) M3 & 2004 JCW MCS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Brunei Darussalam

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to Mischievous M
Quote:
Originally Posted by doba_s View Post
I had a chance today to check out Dinan facility in Morgan Hill. Very nice place and everyone there looked super busy ... good thing I guess !

Anyway ... I was kind of set on upgrading my final drive and to go with 3.45 that they offer. But decided to ask if they have any plans to release 3.62 final drive, and Chris told me that they can sell me one today ! I was very happy to hear that ! We went to talk to the person who is actually working on it right now and he told me that they have unit that are ready to go, but they are not done yet with R&D and want to test it first on their car to make sure everything will be ok ! So, they are planing to release it in about 1 week or so.

I also went on a drive with one of the guys who has 3.45 final drive and I was very impressed ! So, my guess is that you can expect even more from 3.62.
Hi guys,

Pardon my ignorance but what is a final drive? Am i right to guess that it is a throttle body or by pass valve upgrade?

hope i dont sound like a real idiot.
__________________
Warm Regards,
Mischievous M
No Replacement For Big Displacement!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 07:27 PM   #11
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
136
Rep
7,640
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischievous M View Post
Pardon my ignorance but what is a final drive? Am i right to guess that it is a throttle body or by pass valve upgrade?

hope i dont sound like a real idiot.
Rear differential--the "final drive" is the set of gears that converts driveshaft speed to wheel speed. A "shorter" gear ratio (higher number) gives more torque in each gear, at the expense of fuel economy and higher revs on the highway in top gear.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 07:41 PM   #12
Sticky
Banned
United_States
30
Rep
2,244
Posts

 
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills / Malibu

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Rear differential--the "final drive" is the set of gears that converts driveshaft speed to wheel speed. A "shorter" gear ratio (higher number) gives more torque in each gear, at the expense of fuel economy and higher revs on the highway in top gear.
Exactly, and theoretical top speed, but that is obvious.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 06:13 AM   #13
Mischievous M
First Lieutenant
Mischievous M's Avatar
Brunei
5
Rep
330
Posts

 
Drives: BMW (E92) M3 & 2004 JCW MCS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Brunei Darussalam

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to Mischievous M
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Rear differential--the "final drive" is the set of gears that converts driveshaft speed to wheel speed. A "shorter" gear ratio (higher number) gives more torque in each gear, at the expense of fuel economy and higher revs on the highway in top gear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
Exactly, and theoretical top speed, but that is obvious.
thanks guys for shedding the knowledge on final drive... hmm, more torque in each gear sounds like insane fun. I can only imagine the constant grin on the faces of enthusiasts who are considering or have done a pulley and final drive upgrade.
__________________
Warm Regards,
Mischievous M
No Replacement For Big Displacement!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 07:34 AM   #14
noxredna
Captain
noxredna's Avatar
17
Rep
670
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe, 2012 BMW M5
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Philadelphia & Singapore

iTrader: (0)

How badly will the MPG be affected? Anyone has done this mod? How much MPH are you giving away on the car's top speed?

Interesting mod considering that this is my DD and I do a lot of city/road driving, the torque increase would definitely be nice.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 08:55 AM   #15
Mickb
Private First Class
4
Rep
137
Posts

 
Drives: AW/FR E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ireland

iTrader: (0)

Does this make much of a difference in terms of outright acceleration, or does the car just feel more torquey in each gear?

Presumably while there is more torque at the wheels, the enginer flys through the rev band quicker for any given speed/acceleration and there is a tradeoff in terms of number fo gearchanges required?

I guess this shouldnt matter too much with DCT since the shifts are so fast.

Final question. Can you change the final drive without changing the entire diff?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 11:50 AM   #16
kmac1980
Major
16
Rep
1,025
Posts

 
Drives: '11 535xi, (former '08 M3)
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: toronto

iTrader: (1)

im guessing people who contemplate this mod arent using their m as a daily driver? i mean the fuel economy (more importantly range) already sucks.... this car revs so high in top gear at highway speeds!

id guess the stock final drive is already much more aggressive than my previous e90 330i... this is probably a reason 335i fanboys underestimate the m3, they are stuck on hp/tq vs. weight numbers and dont look at gearing....
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 12:06 AM   #17
doba_s
Major General
doba_s's Avatar
United_States
148
Rep
6,099
Posts

 
Drives: M3, 1M
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (26)

Send a message via Skype™ to doba_s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
Under Dinan warranty... which is the same thing as the diffsonline warranty. It breaks, you get a new part.
i would go with diffsonline if they were near me , but to pay every time to install/uninstall it would be much more expensive than Dinan's FD.

another thing , did Dan did any R&D ? Did they installed any 3.62s or any other FDs on e92 M3 ? will 3.62 final drive work perfect with car's computer ?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 12:11 AM   #18
doba_s
Major General
doba_s's Avatar
United_States
148
Rep
6,099
Posts

 
Drives: M3, 1M
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (26)

Send a message via Skype™ to doba_s
Quote:
Originally Posted by noxredna View Post
How badly will the MPG be affected? Anyone has done this mod? How much MPH are you giving away on the car's top speed?

Interesting mod considering that this is my DD and I do a lot of city/road driving, the torque increase would definitely be nice.
not sure how badly, but it definitely will be affected ! i was told it will be in 8-10mpg neighborhood ...
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 12:14 AM   #19
doba_s
Major General
doba_s's Avatar
United_States
148
Rep
6,099
Posts

 
Drives: M3, 1M
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (26)

Send a message via Skype™ to doba_s
UPDATE:

I just got a call from Dinan that they have 3.62 ready to be installed. So, if you are looking for one give them a call.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 12:51 AM   #20
e36jakeo
Captain
United_States
12
Rep
624
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3 6 Speed MT!
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Northern CA

iTrader: (0)

I think you guys are overestimating the positive effects of the shorter gearing. As mentioned a 3.62 will add torque 9.5% more torque per gear, but if , say you are going 85 MPH in 3rd gear you will now need 4th gear. 4th gear is taller than the stock 3rd gear, so until the stock 3rd gear runs out it will be pulling harder than the 3.62's 4th gear.

In other words, there is a give and take as to which will be quicker. Overall the 3.62 WILL be quicker, but by no means will it be pulling 9.5% harder at all times. As mentioned above, sometimes it will be pulling harder, sometimes less hard.

Also consider that with super-short gearing you will completely light up the tires in 1st gear, thus sacrificing your launch. So any standing start (without drag radials) will favor the stock car.

Honestly, with how perfectly and tightly geared the DCT is (7 speeds!!) I really don't understand why this is a very desirable option. Really understand the trade offs before getting it.

The 4.10 gearing for the 6-speed MT makes more sense because I find gears 2-4 to be too widely spaced. However, the too-short 1st gear is still a problem.
__________________
Driving sideways: It's not faster, but damn it's more fun!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 12:56 AM   #21
Sticky
Banned
United_States
30
Rep
2,244
Posts

 
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills / Malibu

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36jakeo View Post
I think you guys are overestimating the positive effects of the shorter gearing. As mentioned a 3.62 will add torque 9.5% more torque per gear, but if , say you are going 85 MPH in 3rd gear you will now need 4th gear. 4th gear is taller than the stock 3rd gear, so until the stock 3rd gear runs out it will be pulling harder than the 3.62's 4th gear.

In other words, there is a give and take as to which will be quicker. Overall the 3.62 WILL be quicker, but by no means will it be pulling 9.5% harder at all times. As mentioned above, sometimes it will be pulling harder, sometimes less hard.

Also consider that with super-short gearing you will completely light up the tires in 1st gear, thus sacrificing your launch. So any standing start (without drag radials) will favor the stock car.

Honestly, with how perfectly and tightly geared the DCT is (7 speeds!!) I really don't understand why this is a very desirable option. Really understand the trade offs before getting it.

The 4.10 gearing for the 6-speed MT makes more sense because I find gears 2-4 to be too widely spaced. However, the too-short 1st gear is still a problem.
The reduction is ~13% and I think you are underestimating the positive effects.

You will not light up your tires in 1st gear, any more than you will now. Plus, this is why wider tires exist.

This is an extremely desierable options as with the DCT you don't lose time due to the extra shifts since they are practically instant.

The 3.62 for the DCT makes far more sense than the 4.10 for the manual as the manual has more torque in first gear than the DCT to begin with and it is a larger reduction than 4.10 for the manual.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 01:15 AM   #22
e36jakeo
Captain
United_States
12
Rep
624
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3 6 Speed MT!
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Northern CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
The reduction is ~13% and I think you are underestimating the positive effects.

You will not light up your tires in 1st gear, any more than you will now. Plus, this is why wider tires exist.

This is an extremely desierable options as with the DCT you don't lose time due to the extra shifts since they are practically instant.

The 3.62 for the DCT makes far more sense than the 4.10 for the manual as the manual has more torque in first gear than the DCT to begin with and it is a larger reduction than 4.10 for the manual.
You really think with 13% more torque to the wheels in 1st gear you won't light up the tires in 1st gear??
__________________
Driving sideways: It's not faster, but damn it's more fun!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST