BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing
 
Evolve Automotive
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-12-2008, 06:40 PM   #1
gemini330zhp
Major
gemini330zhp's Avatar
Philippines
15
Rep
1,181
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3 E90
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BergenCo NewJersey

iTrader: (0)

Oil Service with 600 miles???

I saw this on my dash that my car needs an oil service. So Im there like nice I have 600 miles to go for break in for the 1200 mile service? A few days later the dealer calls for me to make any appointment. I was like ok maybe Ill hit 900 miles by the appointment. Anyhow I was reading we have a CBS or Condition Based Service System that monitors various conditions of vehicle use. I got my car in Oct and have not really driven her much since I have a Jeep for my commutes to work and daily duties. Did the CBS system trigger off my oil service?? Should I wait till 1200 miles?? My SA said its ok to bring the car in?? Any Ideas I guess this is pretty normal??



__________________
2008 Jet Black E90 M3 6SPD no sunroof and 18s to my specs


Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 07:01 PM   #2
exadius
Private
United_States
0
Rep
90
Posts

 
Drives: Space Grey E92 M3 M-DCT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Same thing happened to me. I was stupid enough to agree to an appointment with my dealer when they called me. When I got there they said that they were not allowed to to change the oil untill the 1200 mile service. I was pretty angry they had just wasted 2 hours of my day, all I got was some story about the service scheduler not knowing the rules for the M3.

When I scheduled the 1200 mile service they said it would take 4 hours because they had to wait for the tranmission to cool down so they could change the fluid. This is wrong since the car is a M-DCT model and no fluid change is required. The idiot on the line also did not know about the 6 hour reprograming of the tranmisson software.

The lesson here is that when you call the service center you are likely to get wrong answers concerning M3 service.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 07:04 PM   #3
kronzprinz
Second Lieutenant
kronzprinz's Avatar
2
Rep
286
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: EASTCOAST

iTrader: (0)

It's a countdown, wait until 1200 in your odometer
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 11:29 AM   #4
inmotion
Lieutenant
inmotion's Avatar
6
Rep
528
Posts

 
Drives: where do I start?
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Newport Coast, CA

iTrader: (0)

I waited and my SA said it's ok
__________________
E60 M5 Silverstone, Balloon White Gallardo Spider, Rosso Corsa F430, Audi CG Q7 Sportline, IS R8 before and DG R8 now, Basalt Black Carrera GT, SG M3 DCT, Orange GT3RS, IS CLK63 Black Series

On order: 2010 R8 V10
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 01:44 PM   #5
kbk_75
Lieutenant
India
7
Rep
404
Posts

 
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bombay, India

iTrader: (0)

Take your car in when you reach the mileage at which it says it needs the oil change, irrespective of whether it's 1200 or sooner. My 2000 Km service was done with only 800 Km on the clock.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 03:58 PM   #6
MysticBlue
Major
18
Rep
1,315
Posts

 
Drives: '09 M3 DCT Coupe, ---'15 x50i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Eastern Oregon... They call 'em rigs here

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
Take your car in when you reach the mileage at which it says it needs the oil change, irrespective of whether it's 1200 or sooner. My 2000 Km service was done with only 800 Km on the clock.
Did you even read the thread? Or any of the dozen other threads exactly like it? If you did, you would know that it is likely that if you go rolling into your dealer as soon as you get that message, they will tell you it is too soon. It's a little grey as some dealers are a little more flexible than others, but the window appears to be somewhere between 800 and 1600 miles. If you had bothered to read any of threads you would have known this and wouldn't be passing on incorrect information. Your experience was not normal.
I had my car in for something else at around 650. They had to keep it overnight and since it is a 3 hour drive from my home, they wanted to save me the inconvenience of having to come back for the 1200 mile service, however they had to get special permission from someone at BMWNA in order to do the service that early. They said the earliest they had done one before was 850.
This issue comes up again and again. Same question gets asked again and again. BMW figured they would give you plenty of time to get an appointment made, as some dealers are booked a week or two in advance. Just because the message comes up at 600 miles does not mean you have to take it in the next day or lightning will strike you dead. It's called the 1200 mile break-in service and you have a several hundred mile window to get it done in. But 600 is too soon; under most circumstances, most dealers won't do it that early.

Last edited by MysticBlue; 12-14-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 05:46 PM   #7
MRBLUE
Private
MRBLUE's Avatar
4
Rep
95
Posts

 
Drives: 09 SEDAN SG DCT FR
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: claremont

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
Did you even read the thread? Or any of the dozen other threads exactly like it? If you did, you would know that it is likely that if you go rolling into your dealer as soon as you get that message, they will tell you it is too soon. It's a little grey as some dealers are a little more flexible than others, but the window appears to be somewhere between 800 and 1600 miles. If you had bothered to read any of threads you would have known this and wouldn't be passing on incorrect information. Your experience was not normal.
I had my car in for something else at around 650. They had to keep it overnight and since it is a 3 hour drive from my home, they wanted to save me the inconvenience of having to come back for the 1200 mile service, however they had to get special permission from someone at BMWNA in order to do the service that early. They said the earliest they had done one before was 850.
This issue comes up again and again. Same question gets asked again and again. BMW figured they would give you plenty of time to get an appointment made, as some dealers are booked a week or two in advance. Just because the message comes up at 600 miles does not mean you have to take it in the next day or lightning will strike you dead. It's called the 1200 mile break-in service and you have a several hundred mile window to get it done in. But 600 is too soon; under most cirumstances, most dealers won't do it that early.
Easy sparky!! kbk 75 was just giving us his experience with the early message. You have a different experience , I took my car in with 960 miles and my dealer did the service.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 06:04 PM   #8
MysticBlue
Major
18
Rep
1,315
Posts

 
Drives: '09 M3 DCT Coupe, ---'15 x50i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Eastern Oregon... They call 'em rigs here

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBLUE View Post
Easy sparky!! kbk 75 was just giving us his experience with the early message. You have a different experience , I took my car in with 960 miles and my dealer did the service.
No, Spanky, he was not just giving us his experience. He was specifically advising people to get the service when the message comes up, even if it comes up at 600 miles. That is the wrong advise to give. Read it again, read this thread again, then go read the other dozen threads on this exact same subject and then tell me I'm wrong. And taking your car in at 960 is consistent with what I said, so what's your point?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 07:50 PM   #9
MRBLUE
Private
MRBLUE's Avatar
4
Rep
95
Posts

 
Drives: 09 SEDAN SG DCT FR
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: claremont

iTrader: (0)

My point is the guy is TRYING to give some good advice and you are being a bit hard on him
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 07:53 PM   #10
Cloud
Lieutenant
9
Rep
472
Posts

 
Drives: AW 2009 E92 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rowland Heights

iTrader: (0)

I have 900 miles on my car now and surprisingly idrive says there is around 470 more miles before I need an oilchange.
So... should I do it at 1200 mi or 1370 mi ?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:24 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST