BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

INDustry distribution

11-24-2008, 02:02 PM   #1
swamp2
Major General

Drives: E92 M3

Aftermarket side marker housings - a small caution when installing

Just got my matte black side marker housings. I won't say which vendor I sourced them from as they all probably get them from the sam ultimate source anyway. BE CAREFUL when installing these. Pay particular attention to the single screw involved which attaches the "bulb holder" to the new part. If your screws appear to have no leading taper (like any normal wood/metal screw) and it seems to be very difficult to begin threading - STOP and re drill the hole. Mine was quite undersized for the screw and caused a lot of cracking and plastic to break off. I used a 5/32 drill which worked perfect. Be very careful to not let the drill grab and go all the way through your part because then (obviously) you would be left with a big unsightly hole in the part.

I let the vendor know but I would not be too confident in the change actually getting to the supplier and into the tooling/process.
swamp2 is online now   United_States
      11-24-2008, 02:27 PM   #2
mrrm3
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2008 M3 space gray

I had great difficulties w/ one side. The screw broke out the plastic screw housing. I had to epoxy it back in place. Definitely a product design defect that needs to be addressed by the source.
      11-24-2008, 03:37 PM   #3
composed
Enlisted Member

Drives: E92 M3 Coupe, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrm3 View Post
I had great difficulties w/ one side. The screw broke out the plastic screw housing. I had to epoxy it back in place. Definitely a product design defect that needs to be addressed by the source.
+1. I had the same thing happen. Design needs to be addressed by vendors and mfgr source please!

E92 M3 : Alpine White - Black Speed Cloth - Tech Package - H&R Sport Springs - Evosport 19" RG8 3-piece wheels - painted reflectors - Powerchip software - mObridge iPod integration kit - (scheduled for Evosport pulley install)
composed is offline   United_States
      11-24-2008, 03:39 PM   #4
KINGLEH
Major

Drives: 00 GTR - 09 E92 M

had no problems with mine...

got them from Bob at BPS...
      11-24-2008, 03:52 PM   #5
swamp2
Major General

With this post above and other replies I think it is time to start naming vendors. I got mine from JleviSW and I have let them know about the issue. The claimed it was the first they heard of it.
      11-24-2008, 07:13 PM   #6
eagletangogreen
Got Track!!!!!!

Drives: 08 M3 coupe

Send a message via AIM to eagletangogreen Send a message via Yahoo to eagletangogreen
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Just got my matte black side marker housings. I won't say which vendor I sourced them from as they all probably get them from the sam ultimate source anyway. BE CAREFUL when installing these. Pay particular attention to the single screw involved which attaches the "bulb holder" to the new part. If your screws appear to have no leading taper (like any normal wood/metal screw) and it seems to be very difficult to begin threading - STOP and re drill the hole. Mine was quite undersized for the screw and caused a lot of cracking and plastic to break off. I used a 5/32 drill which worked perfect. Be very careful to not let the drill grab and go all the way through your part because then (obviously) you would be left with a big unsightly hole in the part.

I let the vendor know but I would not be too confident in the change actually getting to the supplier and into the tooling/process.
Do you happen to have some pics... For us special kids that took the little yellow bus to school ???
eagletangogreen is offline   United_States
      11-24-2008, 09:28 PM   #7
swamp2
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagletangogreen View Post
Do you happen to have some pics... For us special kids that took the little yellow bus to school ???
Nope sorry, no pics. There is literally a single screw hole on each side and it is way too small when getting the part from some distributors/suppliers.
      11-24-2008, 10:05 PM   #8
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.

Drives: 2013 E92 Coupe.

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [3.95]
I got mine from Bob@BPS too.. I had no problems.
      11-25-2008, 12:24 AM   #9
sg///M3
Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 M3 DCT

+1. I had the same problem. Had to glue the screw housing back together after it cracked. Big design oversight if you ask me.
sg///M3 is offline   United_States
      11-25-2008, 02:28 AM   #10
swamp2
Major General

composed and mrm3: Did you guys get yours from JleviSW? If so we have a tentative conclusion about who not to order from. Please let us know it is important for others to know when selecting a vendor.
      11-25-2008, 03:31 AM   #11
SECRET M
Engineer

Drives: 2008 E92 M3

+1 for no install issues with parts from BPS.
      11-25-2008, 05:06 PM   #12
composed
Enlisted Member

Drives: E92 M3 Coupe, Alpine White

Quote:
composed and mrm3: Did you guys get yours from JleviSW? If so we have a tentative conclusion about who not to order from. Please let us know it is important for others to know when selecting a vendor.
Yes, mine came from JLeviSW. Is anyone having this issue with any other vendor?

E92 M3 : Alpine White - Black Speed Cloth - Tech Package - H&R Sport Springs - Evosport 19" RG8 3-piece wheels - painted reflectors - Powerchip software - mObridge iPod integration kit - (scheduled for Evosport pulley install)
composed is offline   United_States
      11-26-2008, 12:53 AM   #13
diablito
motorist

Drives: E90M, E93M

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
I have them also but I have not installed yet...I have pushed a little but no luck..do I need to take the inside wheel fender liner to install them??

thanks
diablito is offline   Peru
      11-26-2008, 03:30 PM   #14
Rick
Stackin' Chips

Drives: 2008 AW M3 Coupe

I had the same issue as Swamp2 mentioned. I didn't have a drill handy to make the hole bigger so instead I used the Torx-25 bit attached to the screwdriver to make the hole bigger, ended up with a lot of plastic shavings all over the table.
      11-26-2008, 05:47 PM   #15
Sedan_Clan
Capoeirista Extraordinaire!

Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex! Or running your plates...

Wow! I'm glad that swamp2 brought this to the attention of the forum. Props to Bob@BPS for offering a seemingly superior product.
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
      11-29-2008, 03:30 PM   #16
Bob@BPS

Drives: 08 E92 M3 AW DCT HRE Brembo

Black Matte Side Gills

I recognized the same problem when I installed the first shipment I received. I test new products on my own car, whenever possible. The stock T-25 torx screw is just a little too large for the hole in the sidemarker housing, so I just substituted a #8 X 1/2" self-tapping sheet metal screw in each one. I have been providing these screws in all the units we have shipped, to avoid our customers having problems and potentially splitting the plastic with the OEM screws. I have advised our suppler of the tight fit and we'll continue to provide the screws. This solution works great, and holds the light in place very securely.

Bob

Bimmer Performance Store
Bob@BPS is offline   United_States
      11-30-2008, 02:54 AM   #17
drsnooz
Professor

Drives: 08 E60 M5

Ditto with the same problem. Mine cracked when I tried to screw the hex nut in. I got mine on ebay. I told the seller and they claim it's the first time they've heard of it. They were nice enough to send me another pair but almost had the same problem but stopped before anything bad happened. I had some screws lying around that fit PERFECTLY. I was lucky. Must have been the same screws that Bob is talking about. Hope they are looking into it.
drsnooz is offline   United_States
      12-02-2008, 01:38 AM   #18
Simon@RENNSpec

Drives: BMW

Send a message via AIM to Simon@RENNSpec Send a message via MSN to Simon@RENNSpec
If any customer bought it from us and had this issue feel free to contact us. I believe it's for the first batch sold only, as they've made the adjustments already
Simon@RENNSpec is offline   Hong Kong
      12-02-2008, 02:15 AM   #19
Ron@Modbargains

Drives: 996TT/ae86

Send a message via AIM to Ron@Modbargains
The same applies to anyone who has our matte black side grills, please let me know. I will be contacting our manufacturer about this issue as well.
Ron@Modbargains is offline   United_States
      12-02-2008, 04:16 AM   #20
swamp2
Major General

Sure would be nice to hear from my vendor JleviSW... I did hear from them by email but I let them know about some negativity on this thread I started. I guess they may continue to look bad with most of the other vendors replying when no one even pointed a finger at them.
      12-02-2008, 04:22 AM   #21
Big Windy
Major General

Drives: audi s4

Garage List
Quote:
Sure would be nice to hear from my vendor JleviSW... I did hear from them by email but I let them know about some negativity on this thread I started. I guess they may continue to look bad with most of the other vendors replying when no one even pointed a finger at them.
+1. I almost bought from JleviSW, but I guess that isn't a good idea. Props to Bob for switching the screws out prior to shipping. That type of commitment is hard to find these days.
Big Windy is offline   United_States
      12-02-2008, 05:19 AM   #22
mye90
Private First Class

Drives: E90 330I

my friend bought his from Renn Spec and he installed it smoothly