BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
ESS Tuning
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-20-2008, 10:19 PM   #45
Irb Digital
Lieutenant
 
Irb Digital's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M E90 MANual Jerez
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: FL

Posts: 458
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Irb Digital
I loved my 350z, and can only imagine that a lighter version with more hp is nothing but goodness! However, the styling I've seen in pics so far is bordering hideous. But in defense of the 370z, I didn't care for the 350z's looks in pics either. Once I saw the car in person, I fell in love. I can only hope that this car isn't photogenic either.

I must applaud Nissan for taking a road rarely traveled by building a lighter successor. This is a true sports car in every sense of the word and I can't think of one better for under $40k.
Irb Digital is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-24-2008, 05:11 PM   #46
TLud
Colonel
 
TLud's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Golf R
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas

Posts: 2,280
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irb Digital View Post
I loved my 350z, and can only imagine that a lighter version with more hp is nothing but goodness! However, the styling I've seen in pics so far is bordering hideous. But in defense of the 370z, I didn't care for the 350z's looks in pics either. Once I saw the car in person, I fell in love. I can only hope that this car isn't photogenic either.

I must applaud Nissan for taking a road rarely traveled by building a lighter successor. This is a true sports car in every sense of the word and I can't think of one better for under $40k.


I guess I'm in the minority, but I actually like the way the new Z looks, and the interior is a huge improvement on the previous generation.
__________________
'09 Interlagos Blue E92 M3 (sold to a good home)
TLud is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-24-2008, 11:06 PM   #47
Congoman775
Private First Class
 
Drives: hot wheels
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gainesville Florida

Posts: 199
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post


I guess I'm in the minority, but I actually like the way the new Z looks, and the interior is a huge improvement on the previous generation.
It is a huge improvement over the outgoing model, the fact that they choose not to enter the 'horsepower wars' and go smart by going lighter.
Congoman775 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-24-2008, 11:16 PM   #48
NewM3driver
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 m3 sedan
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: CT

Posts: 583
iTrader: (0)

I don't like the way the Z looks, but I'm sure it will drive very nicely. Don't take this the wrong way, but it is certainly no M3. Not even in the same league. Will it go as fast? Maybe, but there is so much more to the M than speed.

Every time I drive it I come away more impressed. The car is just awesome.
NewM3driver is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-24-2008, 11:19 PM   #49
Congoman775
Private First Class
 
Drives: hot wheels
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gainesville Florida

Posts: 199
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
I don't like the way the Z looks, but I'm sure it will drive very nicely. Don't take this the wrong way, but it is certainly no M3. Not even in the same league. Will it go as fast? Maybe, but there is so much more to the M than speed.

Every time I drive it I come away more impressed. The car is just awesome.
Well no one is claiming the Z is an M3, but on a track, it would at least be competative.
Congoman775 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-24-2008, 11:32 PM   #50
NewM3driver
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 m3 sedan
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: CT

Posts: 583
iTrader: (0)

I think the closer you drove the two cars to the limit, the more apparent it would be that the M was a much more refined and sophisticated car.
NewM3driver is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-24-2008, 11:39 PM   #51
Congoman775
Private First Class
 
Drives: hot wheels
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gainesville Florida

Posts: 199
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
I think the closer you drove the two cars to the limit, the more apparent it would be that the M was a much more refined and sophisticated car.
i agree with you there. But just the same i think the Z will hold its own against a Z and i believe it will handle a 335 on a track.
Congoman775 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2008, 12:02 AM   #52
Driver72
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: California

Posts: 4,485
iTrader: (0)

Man there are an awful lot of M3 owners here that really seem to feel the need to show how big their d1cks are.
You guys time and time again seem to be so threatened by "chipped" 335i that you feel you NEED to talk down on them.
It's almost childish of you guys.
And the fact many of you have no clue as to what you are talking about, makes it comedic.

The 370Z is a sports car.
The 335i and M3 are not.

The 370Z weighs 88 lbs lighter than the 08 350Z.
It has 26 more hp too.
That's like a 350Z with 34 more hp.

It will surely outhandle the 335i, and maybe even the M3
The 370Z will outrun a stock 335i in a straight line too. 1/4 mile times should be in the 13.0 @ 109-110 mph range.

But that's no match for a "chipped" 335i or an M3 in a straight line.

But again, they are not in the same category anyway.

Now maybe you guys can actually grow up and stop feeling like you need to bash on the 335i.
That would be like 335i's needing to feel like they have to bash on the 328i But you won't find any of that going on, simply because it's not needed and is futile and moronic.

And even if a 328i owner threw a s/c on their car (if they made one for it) and claimed it's faster than a 335i, great, we'd would love to see and would congratulate them if it was.
Nobody would "bash" on the modded 328i that can outrun the 335i just to make ourselves feel better. Maybe some of you guys could try that approach.


It was funny how Sticky was all bragging, big talk, and 335i bashing by beating an older weak tune Xede only 335i with his modded M3, but would not "run" Down4it or any other 335i with less than $4k of mods on it.
Maybe he realized that Down4it's (or any other 335i) less than $4k in performance mods that puts down 415+ rwhp and 416 rwtq might be more than he wants to deal with a might actually hurt his fragile ego.

Nobody with a modded 335i pretends it's a better car than an M3.
But you guys surely do feel you need to justify you have a better car than the 335i regardless.

Oh, and I like the 370z.
My ego wouldn't be hurt at all if a stock one beat a stock 335i.
It's a good looking car, with more power, less weight, and it's a sports car, it should beat the stock 335i.

Out!
Driver72 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2008, 12:23 AM   #53
graider
Colonel
 
graider's Avatar
 
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: toronto

Posts: 2,408
iTrader: (0)

prob to nissan for bringing out something original and different. The z looks very unique and for that price, I can't see anything that can match it in term of look and perforamnce. The 335 is like a regular 3 series that everyone and their grandma have.

you can't mistaken it with anything on the road really and it does look exotic compare to the 1 and 3 series bmw, so i have a feeling it will be a hit.

the interior seems to be a step up in term of quality compare to the old car, and it looks more exciting than the 1/3 series bmw interior for sure.

I would dig it if I'm in the market for a second car right now.
graider is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2008, 02:03 AM   #54
TLud
Colonel
 
TLud's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Golf R
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas

Posts: 2,280
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
Man there are an awful lot of M3 owners here that really seem to feel the need to show how big their d1cks are.
You guys time and time again seem to be so threatened by "chipped" 335i that you feel you NEED to talk down on them.
It's almost childish of you guys.
And the fact many of you have no clue as to what you are talking about, makes it comedic.

The 370Z is a sports car.
The 335i and M3 are not.

The 370Z weighs 88 lbs lighter than the 08 350Z.
It has 26 more hp too.
That's like a 350Z with 34 more hp.

It will surely outhandle the 335i, and maybe even the M3
The 370Z will outrun a stock 335i in a straight line too. 1/4 mile times should be in the 13.0 @ 109-110 mph range.

But that's no match for a "chipped" 335i or an M3 in a straight line.

But again, they are not in the same category anyway.

Now maybe you guys can actually grow up and stop feeling like you need to bash on the 335i.
That would be like 335i's needing to feel like they have to bash on the 328i But you won't find any of that going on, simply because it's not needed and is futile and moronic.

And even if a 328i owner threw a s/c on their car (if they made one for it) and claimed it's faster than a 335i, great, we'd would love to see and would congratulate them if it was.
Nobody would "bash" on the modded 328i that can outrun the 335i just to make ourselves feel better. Maybe some of you guys could try that approach.


It was funny how Sticky was all bragging, big talk, and 335i bashing by beating an older weak tune Xede only 335i with his modded M3, but would not "run" Down4it or any other 335i with less than $4k of mods on it.
Maybe he realized that Down4it's (or any other 335i) less than $4k in performance mods that puts down 415+ rwhp and 416 rwtq might be more than he wants to deal with a might actually hurt his fragile ego.

Nobody with a modded 335i pretends it's a better car than an M3.
But you guys surely do feel you need to justify you have a better car than the 335i regardless.

Oh, and I like the 370z.
My ego wouldn't be hurt at all if a stock one beat a stock 335i.
It's a good looking car, with more power, less weight, and it's a sports car, it should beat the stock 335i.

Out!
Who pissed in your cheerios this morning? You're the one coming across as insecure here.

And might you be ignoring the countless chipped 335 owners that come onto the M3 forums talking smack and trolling? You think that might rub the M3 members the wrong way? You also think that the reason that people are comparing the 370Z and the 335 to the M3 is maybe because youre on an M3 board, specifically the "M3 versus" forum?

A chipped 335 is a fast car, in some cases faster than an M3. That fact has been acknowledged more often than necessary on this forum, but I've said it one more time just for you. You own a great car. Two thumbs up for you. Is there anything else we can say to soothe your butt hurt?
__________________
'09 Interlagos Blue E92 M3 (sold to a good home)
TLud is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2008, 06:02 AM   #55
MrHarris
yodog
 
MrHarris's Avatar
 
Drives: '86 Corolla
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Diamond Bar, Ca

Posts: 5,035
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
I think the Z looks pretty good in person. With a few aftermarket cosmetic mods the thing will be pretty badass.
__________________

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
MrHarris is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2008, 07:55 AM   #56
NewM3driver
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 m3 sedan
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: CT

Posts: 583
iTrader: (0)

Not for nothing... but have you guys driven the 350Z? At anything over 2000rpm, the engine develops a harsh vibration. Push it to redline and it really gets bad. There is no refinement to that engine what-so-ever.

I would rather a nice clean 328 with a stick and sportpac over the Z.
NewM3driver is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2008, 10:05 AM   #57
graider
Colonel
 
graider's Avatar
 
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: toronto

Posts: 2,408
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
Not for nothing... but have you guys driven the 350Z? At anything over 2000rpm, the engine develops a harsh vibration. Push it to redline and it really gets bad. There is no refinement to that engine what-so-ever.

I would rather a nice clean 328 with a stick and sportpac over the Z.
vibration is good my friend. Too refine = boring.
graider is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2008, 01:46 PM   #58
Sedan_Clan
California Highway Patrolling
 
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

Posts: 11,173
iTrader: (25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post

Nobody with a modded 335i pretends it's a better car than an M3.
But you guys surely do feel you need to justify you have a better car than the 335i regardless.
I'd have to candidly disagree with this statement.
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2008, 01:53 PM   #59
Congoman775
Private First Class
 
Drives: hot wheels
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gainesville Florida

Posts: 199
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
Not for nothing... but have you guys driven the 350Z? At anything over 2000rpm, the engine develops a harsh vibration. Push it to redline and it really gets bad. There is no refinement to that engine what-so-ever.

I would rather a nice clean 328 with a stick and sportpac over the Z.
this is more or less wrong...


The 350z has a smooth power flow all the way up to redline, but the further it gets (like nearly any car...) the more you can feel it. It isnt a feeling of vibration warranting worry or a feeling of unrefinement, but it isnt as smooth as a BMW.

The 350z outperforms the 328i fairly easily, where as it looks like the 370z was aimed at the 335i.
Congoman775 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2008, 02:02 PM   #60
ihyln
Banned
 
Drives: M3post sucks
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: M3post sucks

Posts: 3,385
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to ihyln
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I'd have to candidly disagree with this statement.
I agree with this disagreement
ihyln is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2008, 02:08 PM   #61
TLud
Colonel
 
TLud's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Golf R
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas

Posts: 2,280
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoman775 View Post
The 350z outperforms the 328i fairly easily, where as it looks like the 370z was aimed at the 335i.
I don't think the Z cars are aimed at BMW at all.
__________________
'09 Interlagos Blue E92 M3 (sold to a good home)
TLud is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2008, 02:16 PM   #62
Congoman775
Private First Class
 
Drives: hot wheels
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gainesville Florida

Posts: 199
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
I don't think the Z cars are aimed at BMW at all.
I know for a fact the Z was aimed at the Cayman S, and there was another German car that was brought into the argument... i cant say for sure it was the 335i, but seeing as the Cayman S outperforms a 335i, it gives you a good look at its 'target class'
Congoman775 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2008, 02:58 PM   #63
TLud
Colonel
 
TLud's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Golf R
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas

Posts: 2,280
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoman775 View Post
I know for a fact the Z was aimed at the Cayman S, and there was another German car that was brought into the argument... i cant say for sure it was the 335i, but seeing as the Cayman S outperforms a 335i, it gives you a good look at its 'target class'
They are two entirely different cars. The 335 isn't in the same "target class" as either the Z or the Cayman. The Cayman also outperforms a 760i. Does that put the 760 in the Z's "target class"? Are you seriously trying to make this comparison? The only BMW that could be reasonably compared to the 370Z is the M coupe.
__________________
'09 Interlagos Blue E92 M3 (sold to a good home)
TLud is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2008, 03:41 PM   #64
Sedan_Clan
California Highway Patrolling
 
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

Posts: 11,173
iTrader: (25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
They are two entirely different cars. The 335 isn't in the same "target class" as either the Z or the Cayman. The Cayman also outperforms a 760i. Does that put the 760 in the Z's "target class"? Are you seriously trying to make this comparison? The only BMW that could be reasonably compared to the 370Z is the M coupe.
...and an M coupe should spank that 370Z.
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2008, 05:43 PM   #65
Driver72
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: California

Posts: 4,485
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
Who pissed in your cheerios this morning? You're the one coming across as insecure here.

And might you be ignoring the countless chipped 335 owners that come onto the M3 forums talking smack and trolling? You think that might rub the M3 members the wrong way? You also think that the reason that people are comparing the 370Z and the 335 to the M3 is maybe because youre on an M3 board, specifically the "M3 versus" forum?

A chipped 335 is a fast car, in some cases faster than an M3. That fact has been acknowledged more often than necessary on this forum, but I've said it one more time just for you. You own a great car. Two thumbs up for you. Is there anything else we can say to soothe your butt hurt?
Nobody pissed in my Honey Bunches of Oats.

I've come on these boards from time to time simply because I've seriously considered getting an M3 on a few occasions, especially when they first came out.

I don't surf these boards though for all the 335i vs M3 BS.
But in the few posts I have been in, it seems to almost always be the M3 guys putting down the 335i or saying things like "even a chipped 335i doesn't have a chance against an M3"
Or like the responses I got from a few of you when I organized a BMW dyno day and invited some M3 guys.
It was just childish the responses.

Now I come across this thread because, to be honest, I was thinking of a 370Z for my wife.
Then all I read is how the 335i won't compete with it, "even a chipped one"
It's just laughable how it seems some of you M3 guys will find any opportunity to try to put down the 335i.

The 370Z is not a fair comparison to the 335i.
Different car categories, different price points, different intents.
I've been in the 370Z, while nicer than the 350Z, it still feels plasticky and Altima like. The 3 gauge cluster at the top of the center dash feels like an afterthought and like it was just drilled on there.

The car will be very quick, again probably low 13's @ 108-109 at corrected sea level conditions and high 12's @ 109-110 mph in negative DA conditions.
It will handle better than the 350Z, and again possibly better than the M3 too.
It weighs around 3300 lbs and is a sports car, so it should.

Again, sorry for any chipped 335i guys coming on here talking smack, but it's like a little brother bragging to his older, bigger more powerful brother that he beat him in something.

It's a lot more immature and moronic for the bigger, older, more powerful brother to bash on and pick on his little brother however.
Driver72 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2008, 06:11 PM   #66
TLud
Colonel
 
TLud's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Golf R
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas

Posts: 2,280
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
Nobody pissed in my Honey Bunches of Oats.

I've come on these boards from time to time simply because I've seriously considered getting an M3 on a few occasions, especially when they first came out.

I don't surf these boards though for all the 335i vs M3 BS.
But in the few posts I have been in, it seems to almost always be the M3 guys putting down the 335i or saying things like "even a chipped 335i doesn't have a chance against an M3"
Or like the responses I got from a few of you when I organized a BMW dyno day and invited some M3 guys.
It was just childish the responses.

Now I come across this thread because, to be honest, I was thinking of a 370Z for my wife.
Then all I read is how the 335i won't compete with it, "even a chipped one"
It's just laughable how it seems some of you M3 guys will find any opportunity to try to put down the 335i.

The 370Z is not a fair comparison to the 335i.
Different car categories, different price points, different intents.
I've been in the 370Z, while nicer than the 350Z, it still feels plasticky and Altima like. The 3 gauge cluster at the top of the center dash feels like an afterthought and like it was just drilled on there.

The car will be very quick, again probably low 13's @ 108-109 at corrected sea level conditions and high 12's @ 109-110 mph in negative DA conditions.
It will handle better than the 350Z, and again possibly better than the M3 too.
It weighs around 3300 lbs and is a sports car, so it should.

Again, sorry for any chipped 335i guys coming on here talking smack, but it's like a little brother bragging to his older, bigger more powerful brother that he beat him in something.

It's a lot more immature and moronic for the bigger, older, more powerful brother to bash on and pick on his little brother however.
I'm not going to say that one is better or worse than the other. Of course, just like you have immature and attacking posters on the E90 boards, you have the same type of posters here on the M3 boards. It has little to do with the cars themselves and everything to do with the people behind the posts. Most of the longtimers just ignore it now. If you continue to hang out here, I'd suggest you do the same.

As I was explaining to one such poster, above, I completely agree with you that the 370Z is not a direct comparison to either the M3 or the 335. It's mangos to bananas.

So are the new Z's already out at dealerships or did you see it at the recent LA auto show? If so, I'll have to go check it out. From pictures, the interior looks much better than the 350Z. I'm surprised that it felt so cheap inside to you.
__________________
'09 Interlagos Blue E92 M3 (sold to a good home)
TLud is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:09 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST