BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

11-17-2008, 07:09 PM   #1
b16r1ch
Private
Rep
Drives: F82 AW M4 / E92 M3 AW

New Issue: Idle Control Valve

So, in another post (and like others) I reported how my EDC, Power, and DSC buttons occasionally flip out - i.e. sometimes they light out of pattern, shut off on their own, or change from a cold start. As reported in that post, the dealer could not replicate it and it seemed gone.

Two weeks ago, from a cold start, I begin adjusting my Power and EDC buttons and my dash lights up - Engine Service Required, Brake Light (lit yellow), and DSC off light. Thought it was the same issue, so I went straight to my dealer - which is less than 1.5 miles from work.

Data pulled form the key had 4 messages - Engine Malfunction, DSC Malfunction, Reduced Engine Output, and 'Drive Carefully'. Without diving into it, my service advisor (and the Service Manager) thought it was the DSC on its own. Per their experience, they've seen M3's go into fail-safe mode when any part of that system fails (which IIRC includes TPS, DSC, and ABS) - no big deal, at least we thought at that point.

Next day, I get the report that the DSC wasn't the issue and they're looking into it further. After a few hours, I check in and now a Field Engineer is in the loop...cool. After DSC was ruled out, they started looking at the ECU - thought being there was a bug that (as reported in another post) would be cured with a reflash.

Following day, turns out that wasn't the issue. So, the local tech and the Field Engineer start digging deeper - per my service advisor, the next point in the diagnostics was to look at the intake tract. As such, they took the intake manifold off and looked at each throttle body and scoped each valve to make sure there was no obstructions.

Next day, all clear - no obstructions. Following that procedure, the car was diagnosed with a faulty Idle Control Valve. So, being the first reported incident of a faulty Idle Control Valve (which I wasn't able to see, but is said to sit right below the intake manifold), I'm in queue to receive one straight from Germany. Unfortunately though, per the Tech and Engineer, BMW has to yank one off a car that is yet to be built - which puts the lead time to 2.5 weeks.

All that said, I just wanted to get this out there for anyone who has seen/experienced the same issue - e.g. erratic Power, EDC, and DSC 'behavior'. Also, this is purely informational - I am not saying that my root cause will be the same as yours, that is for your local Tech/Field Engineer to say.

Lastly, though I'm bummed that I won't have my car for a while, I understand that these things happen and my Service Advisor/Service Manager have been great through the whole thing. Not to mention, the Tech (and by proxy, the Field Engineer), have been very forthcoming throughout the whole experience. Luckily, I'm out of town during the majority of the fix time...so no big loss on my part.

Anyway, sorry for the long post and hope my experience helps someone.

-Rich
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 07:42 PM   #2
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Hope they solve your problem. What did they give you for a loaner?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 08:01 PM   #3
b16r1ch
Private
Rep

Heh, a Toyota Corolla - from Enterprise, my choice. Considering that I came in unscheduled and in a panic, I felt lucky to get anything more than a ride home. When I get back though (on a Saturday), they've scheduled me in one of their fleet cars out.

Trust me, though my car is down I'll be happy in most anything with a roundel on it. =)

-Rich
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 08:45 PM   #4
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

You know, for the last 10 years or so I have been on a steady diet of 5 series. I am always very impressed at how well the stripper 3 series (325, 328) would drive. Exceptionally nimble and tossable. Some day, I swear I'm going to buy the smallest (read lightest) engine 3 series with vinyl seats, a stick and no options other than a sport suspension.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 12:33 AM   #5
b16r1ch
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
You know, for the last 10 years or so I have been on a steady diet of 5 series. I am always very impressed at how well the stripper 3 series (325, 328) would drive. Exceptionally nimble and tossable. Some day, I swear I'm going to buy the smallest (read lightest) engine 3 series with vinyl seats, a stick and no options other than a sport suspension.
The funny thing is, that's what I was aiming for! My only options are EDC and the Premium Package (for the Homelink and adjustable mirrors). Really, I think other than buying a vintage E30 M3 (which I'm looking into as well), there really is no way to avoid the ever increasing reliance on electronic control systems...

-Rich
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 12:54 AM   #6
newtom3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
best idea of the day.. of course I just bought an 09 M3... what hassles await me now....
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 09:33 AM   #7
Nucking Futs!
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Sucks to hear Rich! At least you're outta town like you said. Well, you could've called me to give you a ride home if they didn't have a loaner for you! Hope it works out & keep me updated mang.

'17 95B GTS
Appreciate 0