BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
VF Engineering
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-29-2008, 03:10 PM   #23
Blake
Banned
 
Drives: Chevy Aveo
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parent's Basement

Posts: 4,651
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadac123 View Post
hey guys i just leased my first m3 2008 fully loaded 72k msrp lol.

so how do I lauch this sucker?

what's the best setting under the m mode?

what's the best setting so I can get the best mileage per gallon.

Thanks a bunch
what?! you paid MSRP in today's economy?! i guess if you've got unlimited money and no patience/negotiation skills that would work. second, you can't launch until after 1200 miles. as for M-mode, that's a personal preference. i have mine set to S4, sport throttle mapping, MDM, and EDC on full. as far as MPGs are concerned, are you really worried too much about small 1-2MPG variances? if you are, you should consider buying a prius.
Blake is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2008, 03:10 PM   #24
BMWguy206
Private First Class
 
BMWguy206's Avatar
 
Drives: '98 M3 Alpine White
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 116
iTrader: (0)

From a cold start drive it around until the engine oil and coolant temp. are up to normal operating specs. You may have to drive around for more than 5 miles as well. After that the launch control should be ready. Just remember to put it into S6 mode and on a level surface. You will see a checkered flag on your cluster letting you know that LC is active.
__________________
'95 M3 Coupe Alpine White
BMWguy206 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2008, 03:35 PM   #25
FunRevn
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 MSport PE
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Western Region

Posts: 500
iTrader: (0)

Thanks... Is that how it worked for you Dascamel?
FunRevn is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2008, 03:41 PM   #26
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Dascamel's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2010 e91 328i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bakersfield, CA

Posts: 1,662
iTrader: (0)

Yes
__________________
2008 E92 M3 Jerez Black,DCT,Fox Red ext,Prem,Tech,19", ipod/usb, CF roof and trim
2010 E91 328i Space Gray,Black int, M sport, most options
2007 Montego Blue 335i (retired)
Dascamel is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2009, 10:18 AM   #27
NAZ
Private
 
Drives: bmw m3 e92
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: london

Posts: 95
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3 E92  [0.00]
Hey,
LC fully operational. When the software update was done, the procedure for LC changed. Now the car will only launch if the gas pedal is pinned down to the floor. You must not lift, otherwise it will cut off. Once you release the gear lever, you can then ease a little so that you may control any excessive wheel spin. Best done on a flat dry road. BMW need more info on this topic....
NAZ is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2009, 10:27 AM   #28
gr8000
Major
 
gr8000's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Athens, Greece

Posts: 1,170
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to gr8000
Not sure in what sense you are saying it is different from the existing LC proceedure.
gr8000 is offline   Greece
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2009, 04:08 PM   #29
baarii
Major
 
baarii's Avatar
 
Drives: ..
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: I-66

Posts: 1,117
iTrader: (8)

I tried both flooring it and half way, My LC dosnt work after the update..
baarii is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2009, 11:43 PM   #30
Jimmer
Private First Class
 
Jimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe M-DCT
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Okotoks, Ab, Canada

Posts: 138
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
Hey,
LC fully operational. When the software update was done, the procedure for LC changed. Now the car will only launch if the gas pedal is pinned down to the floor. You must not lift, otherwise it will cut off. Once you release the gear lever, you can then ease a little so that you may control any excessive wheel spin. Best done on a flat dry road. BMW need more info on this topic....

That's the way my LC has always worked and how it's suppose to work. I haven't had the update. You can adjust what RPM's you want to launch at, doesn't have to be 5000 (mine was set at 5500 from the factory).
Jimmer is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2009, 11:48 PM   #31
Sticky
Banned
 
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills / Malibu

Posts: 2,244
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
Hey,
LC fully operational. When the software update was done, the procedure for LC changed. Now the car will only launch if the gas pedal is pinned down to the floor. You must not lift, otherwise it will cut off. Once you release the gear lever, you can then ease a little so that you may control any excessive wheel spin. Best done on a flat dry road. BMW need more info on this topic....
It has always been this way.
Sticky is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2009, 11:49 PM   #32
Sticky
Banned
 
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills / Malibu

Posts: 2,244
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmer View Post
That's the way my LC has always worked and how it's suppose to work. I haven't had the update. You can adjust what RPM's you want to launch at, doesn't have to be 5000 (mine was set at 5500 from the factory).
You can only go to around ~6100 and as low as ~4400. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually would like a few hundred more RPM. Best launches come at max RPM, provided you have traction of course.
Sticky is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2009, 11:55 PM   #33
Jimmer
Private First Class
 
Jimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe M-DCT
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Okotoks, Ab, Canada

Posts: 138
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
You can only go to around ~6100 and as low as ~4400. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually would like a few hundred more RPM. Best launches come at max RPM, provided you have traction of course.
At 5500 I didn't have enough traction

Pic taken a few days after the launch
Attached Images
 
Jimmer is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2009, 11:56 PM   #34
Sticky
Banned
 
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills / Malibu

Posts: 2,244
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmer View Post
At 5500 I didn't have enough traction

Pic taken a few days after the launch
Wider tires...
Sticky is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2009, 03:13 AM   #35
noxredna
Captain
 
noxredna's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe, 2012 BMW M5
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Philadelphia & Singapore

Posts: 669
iTrader: (0)

Same, have been having the same problem with LC as OP said after my DCT update. Really weird, I thought I was doing something wrong.

Sticky - did you get your DCT updated?

Honestly, if I had a choice.. I would not have gotten my DCT updated. Have had bad experiences on D mode after the update and had very little/few issues when I had the original software. Anyhow, I am going to try launch control again tomorrow just to reconfirm, if it does not work; I am bringing it back to the service department to complain.

Btw, I have had the DCT updated almost 3 weeks ago and have done more than 1000 miles on it.
noxredna is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2009, 12:27 PM   #36
NAZ
Private
 
Drives: bmw m3 e92
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: london

Posts: 95
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8000 View Post
Not sure in what sense you are saying it is different from the existing LC proceedure.
Hi
After about 3300miles, i attempted LC. This was with no software updates. I could launch the car from about 4500rpm to 6500rpm.After the software upgrade, i attempted LC around 4500rpm, it would not work, the engine would just loose power & idle down to 1000rpm. Spoke to BMW dealers, no clue at all how LC works. I even took the car to them, same clueless. After the software update the LC works, when the accelerator is pinned down & must be kept pinned down. The engine revs to a limited 5500rpm & when you release the gear lever the car shoots off...
NAZ is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2009, 12:32 PM   #37
NAZ
Private
 
Drives: bmw m3 e92
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: london

Posts: 95
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmer View Post
That's the way my LC has always worked and how it's suppose to work. I haven't had the update. You can adjust what RPM's you want to launch at, doesn't have to be 5000 (mine was set at 5500 from the factory).
How do you adjust the rpm???
NAZ is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2009, 01:05 PM   #38
gr8000
Major
 
gr8000's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Athens, Greece

Posts: 1,170
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to gr8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
Hi
After about 3300miles, i attempted LC. This was with no software updates. I could launch the car from about 4500rpm to 6500rpm.After the software upgrade, i attempted LC around 4500rpm, it would not work, the engine would just loose power & idle down to 1000rpm. Spoke to BMW dealers, no clue at all how LC works. I even took the car to them, same clueless. After the software update the LC works, when the accelerator is pinned down & must be kept pinned down. The engine revs to a limited 5500rpm & when you release the gear lever the car shoots off...
Before your sofware update you could launch the car with LC without pinning down the accelerator fully? Strange because I thought that LC won't work unless the accelerator is pinned down fully (in all software versions). Anyway, aparently not...
gr8000 is offline   Greece
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2009, 01:28 PM   #39
gr8000
Major
 
gr8000's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Athens, Greece

Posts: 1,170
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to gr8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
How do you adjust the rpm???
To increase by 100rpm push the cruise control lever forward beyond the resistance point, to decrease pull it.

For more info refer to manual pg 62. Here is a soft copy: http://www.m3post.com/goodiesforyou/...%20(M-DCT).pdf
gr8000 is offline   Greece
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2009, 05:38 PM   #40
Sticky
Banned
 
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills / Malibu

Posts: 2,244
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxredna View Post
Same, have been having the same problem with LC as OP said after my DCT update. Really weird, I thought I was doing something wrong.

Sticky - did you get your DCT updated?

Honestly, if I had a choice.. I would not have gotten my DCT updated. Have had bad experiences on D mode after the update and had very little/few issues when I had the original software. Anyhow, I am going to try launch control again tomorrow just to reconfirm, if it does not work; I am bringing it back to the service department to complain

Btw, I have had the DCT updated almost 3 weeks ago and have done more than 1000 miles on it.
No, car is in the process of getting the update.

I'm a bit scared though as I don't understand why your LC isn't working after the update. Why did they even skrew with it? Guess I'll have to see myself but from the sound of it I'm not going to be happy. However, I have no choice as I can't stand the shift lag even if LC works well.

When the hell are they finally going to have a version of the DCT software that just works correctly? Porsche got their stuff together, wtf BMW?
Sticky is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2009, 06:08 PM   #41
CraZee M3
Private First Class
 
Drives: 09 E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 146
iTrader: (0)

launch control better work after the update...
they cant advertise something and then take it off.. lol false advertising, like nissan is trying to do.

bimmer is better than that.
CraZee M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2009, 08:20 PM   #42
Aussie F10M
Captain
 
Aussie F10M's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 M5
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 603
iTrader: (0)

I have had my software updated - had some difficulties with the lag/hesitation after deceleration, but the LC is working just fine.

Fingers crossed yours will too ....
Aussie F10M is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      02-16-2009, 04:24 AM   #43
gr8000
Major
 
gr8000's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Athens, Greece

Posts: 1,170
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to gr8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraZee M3 View Post
launch control better work after the update...
Can you please elaborate a bit in what sense is the LC better after the update?
gr8000 is offline   Greece
0
Reply With Quote
      02-16-2009, 04:27 AM   #44
Sticky
Banned
 
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills / Malibu

Posts: 2,244
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8000 View Post
Can you please elaborate a bit in what sense is the LC better after the update?
"Better work" means it should work in this case.

"Work better" would imply it is better after the update, which is NOT what he said.
Sticky is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:34 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST