BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Steve Thomas BMW

10-31-2008, 11:41 PM   #23
skierman64
Brigadier General

Drives: 2008 E92 Space Gray M3 & E36M3

Garage List
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to skierman64
I swear the title of this thread asked for opinions on Nitrous. Obviously there's two different viewpoints. Let's let people say their opinions without being jumped by those with opposing viewpoints.
      11-01-2008, 08:24 AM   #24
J08M3
Major General

Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
I swear the title of this thread asked for opinions on Nitrous. Obviously there's two different viewpoints. Let's let people say their opinions without being jumped by those with opposing viewpoints.
+1
Some of us need to just agree to disagree and leave it at that
      11-01-2008, 11:00 PM   #25
pcarrillo89123

Drives: 335i Black Sapphire

Wow people are getting crazy in here. I admit I was skeptical of Nitrous at first but I've had multiple LS motors in my C6 Corvettes, as well as a Twin turbo C6 Vette that made 950 HP. I've also had nitrous, and after talking with many people it almost seems like one of the best power adders IMO. One really great reason to have nitrous on your car where I live is the HEAT. I'm in vegas and it gets damn hot out here, Nitrous though is cold, really freaking cold. So when you shoot nitrous into your intake manifold it dramatically drops the air temperature, and well cooler air is denser and easier for any motor to utilize. So not only do you dramatically cool down the air entering your motor which may be the most important thing, nitrous is an oxidizer and introduces much more oxygen to the combustion process than the air in the atmosphere can. I've actually had plenty of friends use nitrous in combination with a supercharger or turbo system, just like 50 or 75 shots...just for the cooling effect, considering High boost levels generate a lot of heat. I've also had an LS1 that had 75,000 miles on it with 40k miles of occasional nitrous use (100 shot) and it still ran well when I sold it. I've seen motors with 20k miles on them and heavy nitrous use show no signs of it. It seems that as long as the TUNE isn't too aggressive with the timing your fine. The most problems I've seen blowing motors has always been when people wanna pull all the timing out that they can for another measly 10 HP or so. Just don't get greedy and you will be fine. And to say that M3 and nitrous don't belong in the same sentence is a little ridiculous. Considering Nitrous is used on Rockets for essentially the same purpose, as an oxidizer.
      11-01-2008, 11:09 PM   #26
skierman64
Brigadier General

Drives: 2008 E92 Space Gray M3 & E36M3

Garage List
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to skierman64
You were doing fine until you said this
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcarrillo89123 View Post
Considering Nitrous is used on Rockets for essentially the same purpose, as an oxidizer.
I didn't realize rockets used internal combustion engines

As for me, I run road courses, which is the forte of a M3, therefore no nitrous for me. I don't care about 0-60 or 1/4 mile times.
      11-01-2008, 11:21 PM   #27
pcarrillo89123

Nitrous is definitely not ideal for road course racing. Really fun if you just wanna mess around on the street every now and then though, or at the drag strip.
      11-02-2008, 12:17 AM   #28
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor

Drives: E92M3

Quote:
Nitrous is definitely not ideal for road course racing.
Actually, it's illegal at every roadcourse that I know. Show up with Nitrous at tech-in and you'll be told to remove the bottle or park your car.

Yes, your post above is a great one and I agree with you. When done correctly, it is a very potent power adder; however, there are cars that should be excluded from nitrous consideration...the M3 is one of them.

This is just my opinion, I do not want to come across as an elitest a-hole....my prior "passionate" posts were directed at Sticky...we've a brief history of drawing swords on certain topics...no offense meant to anyone.

Be good,
TomK

"Arcadian, I've fought countless times, yet I've never met an adversary who could offer me what we Spartans call "A Beautiful Death." I can only hope, with all the world's warriors gathered against us, there might be one down there who's up to the task."Μολὼν λαβέ!!
ace996 is offline   United_States
      11-02-2008, 03:14 AM   #29
camaross305

Drives: 2008 M3

I just think there is A TON of misconceptions about nitrous. I think the M3 is a phenomenal car and my second BMW. But it lacks a little power for my tastes. I would be happy with another 75-100hp.
      11-02-2008, 03:34 AM   #30
pcarrillo89123

I guess it makes sense for it to be illegal in road course races now that I think about it. Why do you feel as if the M3 should be excluded from having nitrous? Just curious...

Yes another 75-100 HP would be nice, the only thing that sucks about nitrous is it's not there all the time. And it sucks when your bottle is empty, it's kind of like a drug in a way too. Once you have it and run around for a minute or two on it, well then when it's not on and you run around all motor it's like your dieing to turn the bottle on, and before you know it you've gone from filling your bottle once every 2 weeks to once a week...Ha! I wonder how Dr. Drew would handle this one
      11-02-2008, 03:40 AM   #31
camaross305

Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
I guess it makes sense for it to be illegal in road course races now that I think about it. Why do you feel as if the M3 should be excluded from having nitrous? Just curious...

Yes another 75-100 HP would be nice, the only thing that sucks about nitrous is it's not there all the time. And it sucks when your bottle is empty, it's kind of like a drug in a way too. Once you have it and run around for a minute or two on it, well then when it's not on and you run around all motor it's like your dieing to turn the bottle on, and before you know it you've gone from filling your bottle once every 2 weeks to once a week...Ha! I wonder how Dr. Drew would handle this one
Yea thats exactly what im afraid off. Im curious to see the Forced induction kits that are comming out.
      11-02-2008, 08:33 AM   #32
Shinmantis

Drives: Faaaast

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
You were doing fine until you said this I didn't realize rockets used internal combustion engines

As for me, I run road courses, which is the forte of a M3, therefore no nitrous for me. I don't care about 0-60 or 1/4 mile times.
Not to go OT but, some rockets do use nitrous oxide as an accelerant. They are called Hybrid Rockets. How do I know? I worked on a project where we used an ethanol based gel and nitrous oxide to produce the combustion event. It was quite spectacular.

11-09-2008, 08:03 PM   #33
eagletangogreen
Got Track!!!!!!

Drives: 08 M3 coupe

Send a message via AIM to eagletangogreen Send a message via Yahoo to eagletangogreen
Bump for more opinions!

Just got some more popcorn!
eagletangogreen is offline   United_States
      11-09-2008, 08:11 PM   #34
watrob
Major

Drives: MY2013 X5M 50d - White

Fast & the Furious 5 coming to a theater near you SOON!

X5 M50d White, 20"rims, Adaptive Drive, HUD, Xenon Adapt Lights, Rear/Side Camera, Sunroof, Auto Tailgate, Comfort Access, Active Perforated Ventilated Comfort Seats, M Paddle Shift, Active Crus, Stop/Go, Proff Nav + TV, DAB, 16 Spk Ind HiFi, USB, Internet, Apps, 4 Zone Air, Towbar 20% Tint, 5mm Castor Bushes, Yellow Calipers, Ceramic Pads
watrob is offline   Australia
      11-09-2008, 11:46 PM   #35
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor

Quote:
Why do you feel as if the M3 should be excluded from having nitrous? Just curious...
Well, this is going to delve deeper than most posts on the "Engine" forum, and again, I do not wish to sound like an elitist prick...for if you knew me, you would know that is not my angle. This answer comes from the soul, heart, and love that M3 badge stands for and represents.

The history of the M3, starting back in the late 80's with the E30 M3, was one born from racing. Roadcourse racing. The car was built for racing and needed to be sold in order to qualify, so BMW sold it to the public. (Diehards please let me know if I'm incorrect here). Since then, the M3 has always been mildly underpowered, never offering top-of-the-class power. This allowed some fortunate owners the ability to really focus on the soul of the M3...the feel...the ability of the car to perform beyond what the figures stated on paper. Yes, when used in the correct venue, the M3 does become more than the sum of it's parts. Yet sometimes, when you have a perfect formula and you add to one of it's parts...the sum is no longer so synergistic. Sure, more power is always welcome...but it's how that power is delivered and why it's wanted that should lead us to leaving some things well enough alone.

About seven years ago I owned a Ducati 996...took it on the track several times and went down just about as many. When my friends asked me why I would take such an expensive bike (to own and fix...Italian plastic is like platinum), in relation to the Japanese offerings, on a track...my answer was one that puzzled them... "it belongs there, it is it's purpose, the reason for it's birth". And I was fortunate to be the ham-fisted pilot of such a blessed instrument of higher handling. No, I never did stunts on the street, never put NOS on it, never street-raced it...thse things are...not proper for a Desmo. Someone once said that riding a Ducati on the track was like walking into your first cathedral....
"Ahhhhh....NOW I know".

After my first trackday with the E92M3, on November 1st at LRP, I felt that again and it was wonderful. At a certain point, whilst slightly slipping out of an apex, I think I may have uttered "My God...it's full of stars"....
For those that know of what I'm saying, it's a blessing, for those that don't...well, perhaps you will one day.

Certain cars take to NOS....Stangs, GTOs, __________ (fill in the blank, but M3 should not be there...or any car that ends in an I).

When we look at the manufacturers, the ones who put their jobs, their lives, their reputations on the line, who built and race their cars we see certain commonalities...
Corvette Racing still uses the 7liter motor...no add on supercharger/turbo...(ZR1 is not raced so please disregard the freak mutant)
Porsche still uses the GT3s...no turbo or chemicals....
BMW....well, they usually stick to what works...decent powered/high rpm motors that mate to phenomenal chassis that do things that they just shouldn't be able to do...

That's why I say nitrous should not be used on teh M3...it's sacrelige, blasphemous, and unfitting of the DNA that is the M3.

On some good cold medicine,
TomK

"Arcadian, I've fought countless times, yet I've never met an adversary who could offer me what we Spartans call "A Beautiful Death." I can only hope, with all the world's warriors gathered against us, there might be one down there who's up to the task."Μολὼν λαβέ!!
      11-10-2008, 03:05 AM   #36
Banned

Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

The man above has no idea about forced induction used in racing.

The last few cars to win Le Mans were what? All forced induction.

The Porsche 959? Forced induction.

Ferrari F40? BMW F1 motors in the 80's? Group B rally cars? Current rally cars? SLR Mercedes? No need to keep piling on.

The car that jump started the sport sedan idea before the M3 was even a gleam in someones eye was the 2002 turbo.

Someone must have forgotten that the BMW M3 is built for the road, not the track. BMW does not have homologation goals to reach with this car, that stopped back with the E30. BMW must have gotten confused putting I-drive in, heated seats, EDC, etc, in the E92.

The cars primary function is to be a street car. The fact that it can lap well on a track is a bonus. No matter what is done to it, it will never be a go-kart on the track and as it is built now it is not the best choice for a dedicated track car. It will be compromised in that role.

The history of Lamborghini was producing tractors, who cares? Goals change, companies and models evolve. If BMW really cared about the track instead of selling cars for the street, we would see a CSL, wouldn't we?

99% of the these cars will spend their lives on the street. The guys who do track, should be able to admit their cars spend more time on the street and that they are a minority anyway.

I guess convertible hardtops and automatic shifting is BMW building their car for the track, eh?

Nitrous is a great addition for those who want a short burst of power. It is even better as a stop gap measure until turbo or SC forced induction arrives. Not to mention the cost per HP can't be beat.

Saying certain cars take to NOS (it is nitrous, get it straight) like Stang's, GTO's, or basically American muscle is stereotyping. Motors like the M3 lend themselves well as the torque increase on the juice makes the M3 deadly with its high redline, not to mention the strong internals. There is a long history of E46 M3's with nitrous, some people are just behind the times and way behind in the tuning scene.

This FAQ will answer a lot of questions for people about nitrous on M3's: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=208229

Last edited by Sticky; 11-10-2008 at 06:50 AM.
Sticky is offline   United_States
      11-10-2008, 12:05 PM   #37
RED///M3
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2008 MB M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post

The last few cars to win Le Mans were what? All forced induction.

The Porsche 959? Forced induction.

Ferrari F40? BMW F1 motors in the 80's? Group B rally cars? Current rally cars? SLR Mercedes? No need to keep piling on.

The car that jump started the sport sedan idea before the M3 was even a gleam in someones eye was the 2002 turbo.

Someone must have forgotten that the BMW M3 is built for the road, not the track. BMW does not have homologation goals to reach with this car, that stopped back with the E30. BMW must have gotten confused putting I-drive in, heated seats, EDC, etc, in the E92.

The cars primary function is to be a street car. The fact that it can lap well on a track is a bonus. No matter what is done to it, it will never be a go-kart on the track and as it is built now it is not the best choice for a dedicated track car. It will be compromised in that role.

The history of Lamborghini was producing tractors, who cares? Goals change, companies and models evolve. If BMW really cared about the track instead of selling cars for the street, we would see a CSL, wouldn't we?

99% of the these cars will spend their lives on the street. The guys who do track, should be able to admit their cars spend more time on the street and that they are a minority anyway.

I guess convertible hardtops and automatic shifting is BMW building their car for the track, eh?

Nitrous is a great addition for those who want a short burst of power. It is even better as a stop gap measure until turbo or SC forced induction arrives. Not to mention the cost per HP can't be beat.

Saying certain cars take to NOS (it is nitrous, get it straight) like Stang's, GTO's, or basically American muscle is stereotyping. Motors like the M3 lend themselves well as the torque increase on the juice makes the M3 deadly with its high redline, not to mention the strong internals. There is a long history of E46 M3's with nitrous, some people are just behind the times and way behind in the tuning scene.

This FAQ will answer a lot of questions for people about nitrous on M3's: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=208229
Very well put . I'm currently looking for some power adding options until some type of forced induction kit arrives.
      11-10-2008, 12:15 PM   #38
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post

Sticky,

My answer is one from the soul...you don't get it, that's fine...move on. The post is in regards to nitrous, not factory forced induction. Of all the cars you wrote about in the above post...all of them factory cars...how many have nitrous? My last track car was an STI...I love boost, even had a sweet custom (installed myself) methanol-injection system that gave me serious gains with a custom tune...and yes, meth was used in WRC and F1 until it was outlawed. Nitrous has never been used by any of those cars you list above...not one.

Your last post seems to drift from the topic at hand...nitrous...and enters the discussion of FI. That is not being argued here...the use of nitrous, and how I, in my personal opinion, don't believe it's appropriate for the M3, was what I posted...not a dig on FI. As I would say it's not appropriate for the Vette, GT3, Viper, or any other car that's roots are in roadcourse racing. Those who lean to street-racing or strip-racing would disagree...that's their right...

Not to turn the tide and make an attack, I've no interest in butting heads with you any longer, but how much time do you have under your belt on a roadcourse? Be it bike, other cars, or your M3? I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that it's not much...

But since you did bring up the boost...
I also had a magnacharged Z06...phenomenal car that was brutal when called upon and mellow when driven that way. On the track, it overheated...shredded belts...never quite felt comfortable since it wasn't originally designed that way but it would function as street car without issue and was brilliant. Factory boosted cars have a way of dealing with their boost in a more elegant way than those that weren't boosted OEM...espeially onthe track. Go talk to the "after-boosted" guys who added turbos or superchargers during a track day and see how their day is going...more times than not, they're not having fun, usually dealing with something that's broken or melted or fragged. Purpose built race cars, like the ones you posted, sure, they kill it on the roadcourse...but they were designed that way and have the factory working tirelessly to keep those cars together and winning.

So, cold medicine making me sway a bit off topic but I think I've explained my stance...worth about as much as a spoonful of dirt to most. I do not believe in nitrous on the M3...it's a soul thing/track legality thing..., I do not think that boosting the M3 would be a great idea for those who track them, either. Just because you can do something, doesn't make it a good idea.
That is my opinion, you dont have to like it...

Be good,
TomK

Last edited by ace996; 11-10-2008 at 01:51 PM.
      06-12-2009, 10:58 AM   #39
96OCTNE
Private First Class

Drives: BMW M3

Does anyone have an update on availability and pricing for the ASR Enginnering custom Nitrous Kits? I'm still waiting to hear back from them.
      06-16-2009, 08:13 AM   #40
Sean18337
Enlisted Member

Drives: BMW

I would love an update to see how many people have used nitrous on E92 M3’s.