BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

10-30-2008, 04:14 PM   #1
camaross305

Drives: 2008 M3

What do you guys think about nitrous?

My friend ( i know really stupid), put a nitrous kit on his him to see what it would do. He told me ASR tunned for it but i don't know. It got me thinking though. Ive always had v8 cars, camaro's, gto's, vette's and i know tons of people do dry kits on those and lsx's love the juice. Alot of people have HUGE misconceptions of nitrous especially after fast and the furious and all the crap. Nitrous can actually, if done right, be a safe and great power adder. On lsx motors we would always use a dry kit, bigger injectors, WOT switch, window switch, etc all the safety parameters, and have the nos nozzle before the IAT sensor and when it deteced XX degrees it would richen the mixture safe enough for nitrous. It always worked flawlessly. With a wet kit which does usually have higher gains, if a Gas solenoid goes bad, BOOM! Where as with a dry kit setup how i said the only thing that can go wrong is a nitrous solenoid fails which just lead to no power . I know we couldn't really do a dry kit properly on our cars YET because the software tuning isn't up to par but why couldnt we do a wet kit with high quality solenoids and components and minimal tuning? Just like a 75-100 shot? What do you guys think? Nitrous is def. one of your best bang/buck power adders. And contrary to what most people think can be made very safe.
      10-30-2008, 05:07 PM   #2
FStop7
I like cars

Drives: M6

I know someone who did a kit on an E46. You have to do a wet kit, direct port injection in order to get the nitrous to flow evenly to all cylinders. His car was very fast on the bottle, running a 125 to 150 shot. Very fast. And totally reliable.

On the E90/E92 it should be crazy. Probably enough to trap 120+mph in the 1/4 on a 100-125 shot. I don't want to be the first one to find out, though. Let someone else be the guinea pig.
FStop7 is offline   Vatican City State
      10-30-2008, 05:12 PM   #3
dvpouldar26
Major

Drives: 2008 e92 328i, Porsche 987.1

For the e46 m3, a wet nitrous kit was used and usually was a direct-port setup. When spraying high shots of nitrous, race gas had to be used. Nirous is very hard on parts, and for an engine such as the s65, which we don't know the limits of, i wouldn't use nitrous until we can see what these internals, the block, and the drivetrain can handle. With the s54, it was known that the stock block can handle lots of power, so people weren't scared to spray alot of nitrous. Also with the compression ratio of the s65 being high, to run a large shot of nitrous would probably require race gas.
      10-30-2008, 05:14 PM   #4
Banned

Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

The ASR setup is a dry kit I believe.

The motor is similar to the V10 on the M5/M6 and people squeeze 100-150 shot all the time. ASR has kits for that as well.

Nitrous isn't stupid, it is kids putting 150 shots on their civics and expecting the motors to hold that gives it a bad name. I might do a Nitrous setup by the end of the year, depends how other things pan out of the E92 M3.

There is nothing wrong with nitrous when tuned correctly. There is nothing wrong with a supercharger when tuned correctly. There is nothing wrong with a turbo when tuned correctly. Even a naturally aspirated motor can blow with improper tuning.

As of right now, 75-100 sounds like a great range.

Here is a dyno of an E92 M3 with a 100 shot:

Sticky is offline   United_States
      10-30-2008, 05:17 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvpouldar26 View Post
For the e46 m3, a wet nitrous kit was used and usually was a direct-port setup. When spraying high shots of nitrous, race gas had to be used. Nirous is very hard on parts, and for an engine such as the s65, which we don't know the limits of, i wouldn't use nitrous until we can see what these internals, the block, and the drivetrain can handle. With the s54, it was known that the stock block can handle lots of power, so people weren't scared to spray alot of nitrous. Also with the compression ratio of the s65 being high, to run a large shot of nitrous would probably require race gas.
You don't need race gas due to the compression. People act like the compresison ratio is in a different league compared to the E46 M3. It is 12.0:1 vs. 11.5:1. They are both high.

The S54 had reputation as being fragile at first and now people do 250 shots on it.

The internals are a bit stronger and lighter than the M5/M6 internals. If they can handle 150, we should be fine in the 75-100 range and that is being conservative.
      10-30-2008, 05:17 PM   #6
dvpouldar26
Major

Was that 100 shot a wet kit, dry kit, or fogger? Direct port or single nozzle?
      10-30-2008, 05:22 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Was that 100 shot a wet kit, dry kit, or fogger? Direct port or single nozzle?
"Our nitrous kit is a dry system that is tuned and controlled VIA the factory ECU and a nitrous control module that remote operates the bottle opener, heater, thermostsat, and pressure sensor. The nitrous control module allows for perfect conditions every run by maintaining bottle pressure within 5psi +/- of the your desired bottle pressure. It also has an LCD that shows current bottle pressure and any faults in the system such as clogged lines, solenoids, bottle opener or heater malfunction, etc. The nitrous system is designed to activate and deactivate based on tps, rpm, and load. This way the system only turns on under perfect conditions and turns off automatically before the rev limiter to ensure engine safety."
      10-30-2008, 05:26 PM   #8
dvpouldar26
Major

Nice! Please show some pics of the setup!
      10-30-2008, 05:57 PM   #9
Banned

Quote:
Nice! Please show some pics of the setup!
It isn't my setup, it's ASR's but I can look for some pics.

There is a youtube video on their M5 setup if you want to check it out.
      10-30-2008, 08:19 PM   #10
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor

Drives: E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaross305 View Post
My friend ( i know really stupid), put a nitrous kit on his him to see what it would do. He told me ASR tunned for it but i don't know. It got me thinking though. Ive always had v8 cars, camaro's, gto's, vette's and i know tons of people do dry kits on those and lsx's love the juice. Alot of people have HUGE misconceptions of nitrous especially after fast and the furious and all the crap. Nitrous can actually, if done right, be a safe and great power adder. On lsx motors we would always use a dry kit, bigger injectors, WOT switch, window switch, etc all the safety parameters, and have the nos nozzle before the IAT sensor and when it deteced XX degrees it would richen the mixture safe enough for nitrous. It always worked flawlessly. With a wet kit which does usually have higher gains, if a Gas solenoid goes bad, BOOM! Where as with a dry kit setup how i said the only thing that can go wrong is a nitrous solenoid fails which just lead to no power . I know we couldn't really do a dry kit properly on our cars YET because the software tuning isn't up to par but why couldnt we do a wet kit with high quality solenoids and components and minimal tuning? Just like a 75-100 shot? What do you guys think? Nitrous is def. one of your best bang/buck power adders. And contrary to what most people think can be made very safe.
If all you want is power, then have at it. Know this, though, that you are not allowed to run nitrous on a roadcourse...where this car really should have its fun.

I can see nitrous on an F-body...not on an M. Blow an Ls1...it's a couple of grand to fix. Blow our motor...it's exponentially more expensive. And yes, it can be done safely but it really does beat the piss out of the internals.

As has been said many times before...
'just because you can do something doesn't make it a good idea'

"Arcadian, I've fought countless times, yet I've never met an adversary who could offer me what we Spartans call "A Beautiful Death." I can only hope, with all the world's warriors gathered against us, there might be one down there who's up to the task."Μολὼν λαβέ!!
ace996 is offline   United_States
      10-30-2008, 08:51 PM   #11
Omar@ActiveAutowerke

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
You don't need race gas due to the compression. People act like the compresison ratio is in a different league compared to the E46 M3. It is 12.0:1 vs. 11.5:1. They are both high.

The S54 had reputation as being fragile at first and now people do 250 shots on it.

The internals are a bit stronger and lighter than the M5/M6 internals. If they can handle 150, we should be fine in the 75-100 range and that is being conservative.
We have done all of the nitrous tuned for the M5 applications for ASR. Please keep in mind regardless of the tune, etc you are still taking a risk by using a nitrous tune. The custom nitrous software does help but you will never be 100% sure with nitrous.
      10-31-2008, 04:27 AM   #12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Active Autowerke View Post
We have done all of the nitrous tuned for the M5 applications for ASR. Please keep in mind regardless of the tune, etc you are still taking a risk by using a nitrous tune. The custom nitrous software does help but you will never be 100% sure with nitrous.
You take a risk walking out the door every day.

You are not 100% sure with anything, even your superchargers or turbos. Has any M5/M6 blown with nitrous and your tune?

Last edited by Sticky; 10-31-2008 at 07:35 AM.
      10-31-2008, 04:31 AM   #13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace996 View Post
If all you want is power, then have at it. Know this, though, that you are not allowed to run nitrous on a roadcourse...where this car really should have its fun.

I can see nitrous on an F-body...not on an M. Blow an Ls1...it's a couple of grand to fix. Blow our motor...it's exponentially more expensive. And yes, it can be done safely but it really does beat the piss out of the internals.

You are telling people what kind of fun they should have with their car? I think people should do whatever they want with their own car and their own money.

What do you have to back up your claim of it beating the piss out your internals? Or are you just making generalizations with no data to back it up again? Tell you what, the ASR M5 getting the twin turbo kit had the motor disassembled after using a 150 shot of nitrous for approx. 15k miles. There was NO sign of extra wear, but hey, claims with nothing to back seem to be your pattern. Nitrous is not on all the time like a turbo or supercharger.

Last edited by Sticky; 10-31-2008 at 07:36 AM.
      10-31-2008, 05:40 AM   #14
spectrumphoto
Just another peanut in the Turd!

Drives: 08 M3 e90 IB

Nitrous is for Rednecks and Ricers!!! Enough Said!!!
spectrumphoto is offline   United_States
      10-31-2008, 09:12 AM   #15
Eurotrash8
Captain

Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Quote:

I have ran nitrous in my previous cars. I had logged 20k km on it and 25% of that was at the drag strip running a wet setup/direct port at 150hp. I decided to open it up to get the heads extrude honed and the internals had NO signs of extreme heat or any signs of premature wear from NOOOOOSSS
Eurotrash8 is offline   Hong Kong
      10-31-2008, 11:44 AM   #16
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor

Quote:
You are telling people what kind of fun they should have with their car? I think people should do whatever they want with their own car and their own money.

What do you have to back up your claim of it beating the piss out your internals? Or are you just making generalizations with no data to back it up again? Tell you what, the ASR M5 getting the twin turbo kit had the motor disassembled after using a 150 shot of nitrous for approx. 15k miles. There was NO sign of extra wear, but hey, claims with nothing to back seem to be your pattern. Nitrous is not on all the time like a turbo or supercharger.
Yes I am, you should be ashamed saying nitrous and M3 in the same sentence!!!Nitrous on an M3?....clown, you never stop. What's next?...spinners?...500lb systems?....drag-prepping....mounting 335 scoops? (You do realize that the vendor eventually said they do nothing...)

It all is blasphemy on an M-car. You don't get that? Perhaps when you grow-up, if you're lucky, you just may...

"Arcadian, I've fought countless times, yet I've never met an adversary who could offer me what we Spartans call "A Beautiful Death." I can only hope, with all the world's warriors gathered against us, there might be one down there who's up to the task."Μολὼν λαβέ!!
      10-31-2008, 02:30 PM   #17
Banned

Quote:
Yes I am, you should be ashamed saying nitrous and M3 in the same sentence!!!Nitrous on an M3?....clown, you never stop. What's next?...spinners?...500lb systems?....drag-prepping....mounting 335 scoops? (You do realize that the vendor eventually said they do nothing...)

It all is blasphemy on an M-car. You don't get that? Perhaps when you grow-up, if you're lucky, you just may...
Spinners and nitrous, quite the leap you are making there. Hey, anything to change the topic away from your baseless claims though.

Please post how you feel in the forced induction section of M3forum and see what happens.

Take the time educate yourself on the subject so you actually have something to contribute other than pulling things out of thin air: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=208229
      10-31-2008, 04:54 PM   #18
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor

I belive in forced induction...it's legal on the track...where our M3's DNA was born. Nitrous is not F/I and it is usually used by those who have...shall we say...an inability to corner properly or by those who are overcompensating for a shortcoming in their pants....either way they don't have the tools or the skill to properly use them.
Yep, point'er straight...step on the pedal...and push the button... tremendous skill involved in that!!!

So what experience do you have?...you seem to have so much to say?? I have baseless claims???? Sticky, you do nothing but post what other people have done. You post what others tell you, but you've not really done anythig yourself...that's sad.

Mount up the nitrous and let us know how it goes....

Last edited by ace996; 10-31-2008 at 09:06 PM.
      10-31-2008, 06:04 PM   #19
Banned

Quote:
I belive in forced induction...it's legal on the track...where our M3's DNA was born. Nitrous is not F/I and it is usually used by those who have...shall we say...an inability to corner properly or by those who are overcompensating for a shortcoming in their pants....either way they don't have the tools or the skill to properly use them.
Yep, point'er straight...step on the pedal...and push the button... tremendous skill involved in that!!!

So what experience do you have?...you seem to have so much to say?? I have baseless claims???? Sticky, you do nothing but post what other people have done. You post what others tell you, but you've not really done anythig yourself...that's sad.

Ah, so you generalize everyone who uses nitrous as people who have no idea how to corner. I did not realize how popular you were either, to know everyone who has used nitrous in their lives and to know they don't have the tools or skills to use their cars in more than a straightline is impressive.

Do you stereotype people as well? Let me know when you grow out of that.

The topic is nitrous on the M3 and I posted about nitrous on the M3. You are right, I am WAY off base. I posted dyno information and information on the kits already in existence for the M3 for those that are interested. Crazy how far in left field I am on that. You posted incorrect information with no basis or contribution as usual. I think you need to look in the mirror to find the answer about not having done anything yourself.
      10-31-2008, 09:06 PM   #20
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor

10-31-2008, 11:02 PM   #21
Banned

Quote:
Just for you Is it cool if I don't do it this week? Let me know when your schedule is good for me to mod my car around it.
      10-31-2008, 11:11 PM   #22
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor

Quote:
Just for you Is it cool if I don't do it this week? Let me know when your schedule is good for me to mod my car around it.
Sticky,
It's all cool.
Be good,
TomK