BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

Lux Angel Eyes

10-26-2008, 03:38 PM   #1
HotLap
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 M3 Vert / 535i Twin turbo

Removing the BMW Logo on the trunk lid...

Anyone do this yet? I was looking at the rear and thinking the trunk might look better with just the M3 logo and since the BMW logo appears to be on top of the trunk lid (with no depression - like on my 535) I was thinking it would come right off. Anyone done this or know if there are any :locator pin" holes underneath the BMW badge?

Another thought was to get high temp black paint and paint the rear exhaust collector so it's not as visible through the rear exhaust grill and from under the bumper...all you would see then would be the quad tips...
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 01:03 AM   #2
moog55
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

the trunk badge is definitely harder to remove than the hood emblem. just use a thin piece of plastic to work between the double-sided tape the car. i use the fake credit cards that come in the daily credit card offers they send you in the mail every day. then once you've worked the plastic card around the roundel, i use fly fishing line which is stronger than using dental floss. wrap the fishing line around a few fingers on both hands similar to how you would use dental floss to get underneath the roundel. pull up slightly. that should give you enough room to insert a thick piece of plastic between the car and the roundel. then i take a small slot screw driver and VERY gently slide that between the thick piece of plastic and the roundel and VERY slightly pry upwards. move all around the roundel until one side finally "gives". from there, you should be able get the roundel off safely.
E92 M3 | Space Gray | Black Novillo |M-DCT | Mods: 20" BBS LM Champion Edition |H&R springs | BMW glossy black grilles | matte black side vents | hardwire V1 | CF roundels | smoked reflectors | BMW aluminum pedals | OSS led angel eyes | 6000k lows | Eisenmann Race exhaust + connecting pipes| Eclipse Diffuser | BMW ZCP CF Splitters & CF Rear Spoiler | IND Custom CF & Space Grey mirrors | ModMyNav front cam, rear cam, iPod video player | Powerchip Stage 2 tune | BMW v2 electronic steering wheel |
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 07:45 AM   #3
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep

Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
have you tried dental floss?

I did it with my e90 325 years back

but IMO leave it alone
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 09:25 AM   #4
HotLap
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys for the information. I have used the "dental floss" method before and it works well...also helps to heat up the emblem before removal. So then, can you confirm there is not a "locator pin" hole underneath the BMW logo badge...I don't want to remove it - only to have to reapply due to a hole underneath.....

When it comes to badging, I guess I'm a minimalist - especially in the rear. Most cars have way too much junk on the rear and I think it takes away from the design features....plus, it's not hard to reinstall if I don't like the look.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 07:45 PM   #5
rzm3
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

There are holes! The badge is held together by pins and grommets and double sided-tape! See part 4 on the 2nd picture.

Attached Images

10-28-2008, 01:20 PM   #6
HotLap
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ah ha, thanks rldzhao, guess I wont' be removing it then as I don't want to have to patch holes in the trunk lid...THANKS!!

Although the trunk lids on the vert are different from the coupe and sedan...prolly still holes underneath though.
Appreciate 0