BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
GetBMWParts
View Poll Results: what caliper
stock single piston 49 36.84%
Brembo multi piston 77 57.89%
brakes slow the car down... the point is to make it go Faster!!!!... who needs um... 7 5.26%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-07-2008, 03:33 AM   #1
KINGLEH
Major
KINGLEH's Avatar
33
Rep
1,043
Posts

 
Drives: 00 GTR - 09 E92 M
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (1)

Brake Poll..... Stock or Brembo 6pots?

that other thread got me wondering just how many of you actually would take the stock over a better design...... like if it came that way from the factory....


so.. leaving every brake part on the car the same... other then the caliper... which would you take.. the stock single piston design... or a Brembo 6 pot up front and a 4 pot in the rear... similar to a 997...
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 04:17 AM   #2
Blake
Banned
No_Country
179
Rep
4,651
Posts

 
Drives: Chevy Aveo
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parent's Basement

iTrader: (7)

i'll just say this...before i knew how many pistons there were in the stock brakes, i said the brakes were the only thing that could remotely be improved. i'm not saying the stock brakes are lame, but there is a lot of room for improvement. i'll just call it something like 'do the drapes match the carpet?' in this case, i don't believe so.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 04:27 AM   #3
BimmerRob08
Major
BimmerRob08's Avatar
United_States
22
Rep
1,257
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: KIKR (ABQ), NM

iTrader: (0)

I think the stock brakes are awesome, brembo would I guess work better but isn't it a combination of disc size, pad's, and brake system power? I'd think the Brembo would look better but are they really going to make a huge difference in braking distance?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 08:08 AM   #4
BMWDEMON
Super modder
BMWDEMON's Avatar
United_States
36
Rep
1,803
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3 & E46 M3 vert
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Annapolis, MD

iTrader: (1)

I am getting the Rotora system when I can do it. I already spoke to Loren and have the system on my current E46...it was a HUGE positive change and I can't wait to get another set of red cherries for the new car.

__________________
BOOSTED! 2005 E46 M3 ZCP - I/B on black- DD super modded (425WHP/300FT)
I will be looking for a low mileage AW/Red MANUAL E92 M3 in the spring!! WILL ENTERTAIN LW WB conversion vehicle
MODS in hand: Akra EVO, Rennline pedals
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 08:35 AM   #5
ihyln
Banned
United_States
43
Rep
3,385
Posts

 
Drives: M3post sucks
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: M3post sucks

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to ihyln
If the BBKs weren't so expensive I'll probably upgrade just the calipers when a kit comes out.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 12:05 PM   #6
Davinhci
Colonel
Davinhci's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
2,474
Posts

 
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
stock for now
__________________

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 01:36 PM   #7
KINGLEH
Major
KINGLEH's Avatar
33
Rep
1,043
Posts

 
Drives: 00 GTR - 09 E92 M
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (1)

10 votes so far for stock.. that blows my mind.... I'm sure those people have little track experience or none at all.... and just said stock because they want to feel better about what they already have.....


i wish i could redo the poll to

Stock Brakes (i have not driven on track)
Stock Brakes (i have driven on track)
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 01:43 PM   #8
stickypaws
Dictator
stickypaws's Avatar
21
Rep
1,817
Posts

 
Drives: people crazy
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: where you want to be

iTrader: (0)

Yep. This is only a worthwhile poll if you include whether you're using the car for use on a track or just as a daily driver. Performance brakes are overkill for daily driving which I bet is 95% of owners. The stock brakes are fine for those 95%. And those who track, it just opens up a can of worms as to what braking system works best.

Useless poll, sorry.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 01:46 PM   #9
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
555
Rep
46,037
Posts

 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
stock are good enough. unless u go SC, or turbo or something.

im trying to save u like 8G's here
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 02:57 PM   #10
sayemthree
Brigadier General
sayemthree's Avatar
128
Rep
4,845
Posts

 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: usa

iTrader: (0)

stock - the only thing these brakes need for track life are track freindly pads.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 03:03 PM   #11
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
Radiation Joe's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
2,749
Posts

 
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Macungie PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [4.25]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
stock - the only thing these brakes need for track life are track freindly pads.
Don't forget the solid sliders if you want those track friendly pads to last.
__________________

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 03:33 PM   #12
lucid
Major General
lucid's Avatar
United_States
116
Rep
8,034
Posts

 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
stock - the only thing these brakes need for track life are track freindly pads.
+1. Fluid boiled on two different days though. Needs to be upgraded...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 12:19 AM   #13
swamp2
Lieutenant General
swamp2's Avatar
United_States
214
Rep
10,201
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post
stock are good enough. unless u go SC, or turbo or something.

im trying to save u like 8G's here
Ugh.

It has nothing do do with forced induction. It simply has to do with how much hard decelerating you plan on doing which is much more typical on a track and a track with longer straights coupled closely with slower and tighter sections.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 12:58 AM   #14
freeman
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
48
Posts

 
Drives: 06 M roadster
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vancouver,BC

iTrader: (0)

I voted for Brembo multi piston caliper for the bling factor. The stock single pot unit just look so bad for such a nice car.

It won't make too much difference in performance though. Yes. The stock calipers are ugly,but they worked pretty well on street. Better than some poser brakes wearing brembo logos. The brembo brakes on my Sti must be the cheapest units they can find,because their stopping power is nowhere near the ugly single pot brakes on my M3 and MZ4.

A well designed BBK which also contains better/bigger rotors,racing pads,SS lines and racing brake fluid should be able to make some appreciable improvements.

PS:The above won't work too well if you don't have better/sticky tires and balanced brake upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 01:11 AM   #15
masmole
Lieutenant
6
Rep
489
Posts

 
Drives: 07 RS4, 07 ML63, 06 M5
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

I vote stock and I track quite often, and with many different cars in the past. Been attending DE's and open track days since 1999. I've experienced 2 full seasons on my heavier E60 M5 with a nearly identical caliper design as the E92 M3 and those brakes were stellar for even longer 30 minute sessions, lap after hard-braking lap hauling down 4100 lbs from 140 mph, that is as soon as I swapped only the brake pads with a race compound and the brake fluid with motul rbf. Even on the M5, the single pot caliper design was reliable and very consistent in performance. I had no problems with it. I did not feel it underperformed in any way compared to the 8-pots in my RS4 and various aftermarket multi-pot designs (alcon, stoptech) I've had in past sports cars.

The E92 M3 being lighter than the E60 M5, I see absolutely no reason to waste money on a multi-piston system, other than to improve looks. Perhaps I see its merits for competition applications but I don't race. I just attend DE's and track days for fun and camaraderie, staying within certain limits of safety. As much as I try to spend almost every weekend of the warmer months at the track, I'm not wheel-to-wheel racing and have no need for any more braking power than the stock can provide with good pads. The stock M3 brakes are already awesome.

And those that are ready to jump into a crazy multi-pot setup with oversized rotors, you had better have some fat competition tires/r-comps/slicks to take advantage of such brakes because even the stock calipers with race pads easily overpower the amount of grip that the summer compound michelin PS2s can offer under extreme braking.
__________________
2008 ///M3 Coupe, AW/FR ext, M-DCT (gone)
2011 GT3
2011 GTI
2010 Q5
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 03:11 PM   #16
KINGLEH
Major
KINGLEH's Avatar
33
Rep
1,043
Posts

 
Drives: 00 GTR - 09 E92 M
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
Yep. This is only a worthwhile poll if you include whether you're using the car for use on a track or just as a daily driver. Performance brakes are overkill for daily driving which I bet is 95% of owners. The stock brakes are fine for those 95%. And those who track, it just opens up a can of worms as to what braking system works best.

Useless poll, sorry.

caliper design doesn't make a brake system useless for the street...

my VW Toureg SUV has Brembo 6 pots up front and 4 and the rear....


its all about what pad you use....
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 03:26 PM   #17
KINGLEH
Major
KINGLEH's Avatar
33
Rep
1,043
Posts

 
Drives: 00 GTR - 09 E92 M
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by masmole View Post
I vote stock and I track quite often, and with many different cars in the past. Been attending DE's and open track days since 1999. I've experienced 2 full seasons on my heavier E60 M5 with a nearly identical caliper design as the E92 M3 and those brakes were stellar for even longer 30 minute sessions, lap after hard-braking lap hauling down 4100 lbs from 140 mph, that is as soon as I swapped only the brake pads with a race compound and the brake fluid with motul rbf. Even on the M5, the single pot caliper design was reliable and very consistent in performance. I had no problems with it. I did not feel it underperformed in any way compared to the 8-pots in my RS4 and various aftermarket multi-pot designs (alcon, stoptech) I've had in past sports cars.

The E92 M3 being lighter than the E60 M5, I see absolutely no reason to waste money on a multi-piston system, other than to improve looks. Perhaps I see its merits for competition applications but I don't race. I just attend DE's and track days for fun and camaraderie, staying within certain limits of safety. As much as I try to spend almost every weekend of the warmer months at the track, I'm not wheel-to-wheel racing and have no need for any more braking power than the stock can provide with good pads. The stock M3 brakes are already awesome.

And those that are ready to jump into a crazy multi-pot setup with oversized rotors, you had better have some fat competition tires/r-comps/slicks to take advantage of such brakes because even the stock calipers with race pads easily overpower the amount of grip that the summer compound michelin PS2s can offer under extreme braking.



Maby you gotta mash the pedal a lil harder!... i experience fade with a E60 M5 in 5 laps.. on a track that is very nice to brakes.... Autobahn and Road America (assuming thats where your tracking most) are much harder on brakes then the place i was at (Roebling Road)....

anyways.. i lost trust in the brakes after the 4th lap.. then on the 5th i was having to brake 50 feet earlier...




but i think you kinda missed the point about the poll.. money is no issue here.. its just which would you prefer.....
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 05:25 PM   #18
ArtPE
Banned
4
Rep
471
Posts

 
Drives: e46 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGLEH View Post
10 votes so far for stock.. that blows my mind.... I'm sure those people have little track experience or none at all.... and just said stock because they want to feel better about what they already have.....


i wish i could redo the poll to

Stock Brakes (i have not driven on track)
Stock Brakes (i have driven on track)
so, just because they don't want the multi-piston fixed caliper their opinion is a lie or invalid?
or have no driving ability or track experience? how arrogant....you must be 'smarter' than them, right?

the sliding caliper is better for the street, where pads and rotors must last a long time without wobble or shudder...

physics doesn't care about the design:
F = u N
Ke = 1/2 m V^2

do you see AREA in those equations?

all brakes are over sized, if not, no need for ABS...
so the tire (and driver) is the limiting factor...

coeficient of friction
thermal mass/heat transfer
fluid insulation

the Bosch automotive handbook states that floating (sliding) are better for the street...no one here knows more than 20 PhD engineers from Bosch, Teves/ATE, etc.

others subcumb to 'bling', BMW doesn't

Last edited by ArtPE; 08-08-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 06:08 PM   #19
badfish
Major
badfish's Avatar
35
Rep
1,035
Posts

 
Drives: E92 AW M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGLEH View Post
but i think you kinda missed the point about the poll.. money is no issue here.. its just which would you prefer.....
The BBKs from Brembo and Stoptech both offer over 20 pounds in weight savings as well. If money was no object, you would be crazy to pick the OEM brakes.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 08:02 PM   #20
sayemthree
Brigadier General
sayemthree's Avatar
128
Rep
4,845
Posts

 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: usa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish View Post
The BBKs from Brembo and Stoptech both offer over 20 pounds in weight savings as well. If money was no object, you would be crazy to pick the OEM brakes.

good point - if one were racing or doing time trials then a BBK would make sence if allowed in your class. but I suspect most peeps with a BBK never even go to the track. I'd rather spend my $4000 on track tires, gas and track pads.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 08:16 PM   #21
KINGLEH
Major
KINGLEH's Avatar
33
Rep
1,043
Posts

 
Drives: 00 GTR - 09 E92 M
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtPE View Post
so, just because they don't want the multi-piston fixed caliper their opinion is a lie or invalid?
or have no driving ability or track experience? how arrogant....you must be 'smarter' than them, right?

the sliding caliper is better for the street, where pads and rotors must last a long time without wobble or shudder...
the issue is not street here... (as a E9x M3 is not a basic 'street' car). so quit wondering off the topic....


drum brakes for the most part.. are good enough for the street...



the issue is what would one choose...

and to not choose the clearer better design design..


then yes.... i would say that the person that would choose the single piston is just not as knowledgeable.. or doesn't have driving experience...
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 08:19 PM   #22
FranklinDelanoBluth
New Member
United_States
1
Rep
25
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3, F430
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Newport Beach

iTrader: (0)

All things being equal I'd like a multi piston design if it outperformed the current setup for the same price.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST