BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-16-2008, 05:04 PM   #89
dubiousONE
2
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2009 E92 335
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: California

Posts: 247
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW_M3 View Post
dude..i can tell from the way you are speakin, u want the M3 right? answer honestly
I DO.. because I feel like I can get a house later.. but Im not going to lie and say I have second thoughts.. Ive always been an indecisive person, always have.. I'm trying to break the habit.. from do I need it VS do I want it..

YES I want it, NO I dont need it.. its like a mini devil on my left telling me GET IT, and a mini angel to my right telling me DONT GET IT.. ahhhhhhh... I dont want buyers remorse...
dubiousONE is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2008, 05:07 PM   #90
eclipsisNA
29
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Beverly Hills, CA

Posts: 2,938
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [3.88]
If you have to ask this question, you should get the house. You'll likely regret getting the M3 for one reason or another.

But, like my man 2Pac said, money over bitches. Thus, get the M3, enjoy yourself, and forget having a family. They're not worth the hassle.
eclipsisNA is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2008, 05:29 PM   #91
unique
4
SiDeWaYz
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: WillowSprings Race Track

Posts: 477
iTrader: (0)

a house is the biggest liability, you can ever have. You will spend more than a third of your life trying to pay it off. this is why most americans are in debt today
unique is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2008, 05:29 PM   #92
spike357
1
Private First Class
 
spike357's Avatar
 
Drives: The 1st 2008 e92 M3 in NV
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Las Vegas

Posts: 157
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 e92 M3  [0.00]
1. Get the car. It will make you VERY happy right now.
2. Rent an apartment.
3. Get a girl you want to marry.
4. Buy the house together.

You do need to move out or number three is likely not going to happen.
spike357 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2008, 05:35 PM   #93
C17MooseDriver
8
Captain
 
C17MooseDriver's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX

Posts: 868
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Cultural differences typically supercede society's judgments. The asian (..and middle eastern) families that I'm familiar with could care less what society thinks.
Not true. I come from an Asian family and I'm the first generation to grow up in the US. My parents, and their asian friends, expect their kids to go off to college, get married and have kids.

Asian parents, view their childrens' success in life as a reflection of their own. They view children still living with their parents at an older age as not being successful, irregardless of how much they're making or saving, unless it's because the parents can't take care of themselves. It looks especially bad when a 28 year old adult buys a fancy car and still lives with their parents.
__________________
C17MooseDriver is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2008, 05:36 PM   #94
808MGuy
22
Colonel
 
808MGuy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

Posts: 2,287
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unique View Post
a house is the biggest liability, you can ever have. You will spend more than a third of your life trying to pay it off. this is why most americans are in debt today
So what exactly are you trying to say? That no one should be buying houses unless they can pay cash? Morgtage debt is not exactly bad debt unless you got into one of those funky loans the banks have been offering to sub-primes.
808MGuy is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2008, 05:37 PM   #95
nullspace
0
Private
 
Drives: 2009 E92
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 79
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C17MooseDriver View Post
Not true. I come from an Asian family and I'm the first generation to grow up in the US. My parents, and their asian friends, expect their kids to go off to college, get married and have kids.

Asian parents, view their childrens' success in life as a reflection of their own. They view children still living with their parents at an older age as not being successful, irregardless of how much they're making or saving, unless it's because the parents can't take care of themselves. It looks especially bad when a 28 year old adult buys a fancy car and still lives with their parents.
I think we're clear that living with your parents is not the right choice for you. It might be right for the OP though, so let's just respect that and move on.
nullspace is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2008, 05:41 PM   #96
808MGuy
22
Colonel
 
808MGuy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

Posts: 2,287
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C17MooseDriver View Post
Not true. I come from an Asian family and I'm the first generation to grow up in the US. My parents, and their asian friends, expect their kids to go off to college, get married and have kids.

Asian parents, view their childrens' success in life as a reflection of their own. They view children still living with their parents at an older age as not being successful, irregardless of how much they're making or saving, unless it's because the parents can't take care of themselves. It looks especially bad when a 28 year old adult buys a fancy car and still lives with their parents.
Alright, I'm convinced that this must be something about Hawaiian culture rather than Asian culture then. You don't really here the story of kids turning 18 and getting booted from the house here but it seems common on the mainland. Leaving before 18 is just unheard of unless you're a royal screw up that got kicked out.
808MGuy is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2008, 05:47 PM   #97
C17MooseDriver
8
Captain
 
C17MooseDriver's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX

Posts: 868
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullspace View Post
I think we're clear that living with your parents is not the right choice for you. It might be right for the OP though, so let's just respect that and move on.
Good point...........
__________________
C17MooseDriver is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2008, 05:50 PM   #98
nullspace
0
Private
 
Drives: 2009 E92
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 79
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C17MooseDriver View Post
<edited>
I'm merely trying to get it back on course - didn't mean to offend.

Last edited by nullspace; 10-16-2008 at 06:08 PM.
nullspace is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2008, 05:54 PM   #99
dubiousONE
2
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2009 E92 335
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: California

Posts: 247
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS4 View Post
Alright, I'm convinced that this must be something about Hawaiian culture rather than Asian culture then. You don't really here the story of kids turning 18 and getting booted from the house here but it seems common on the mainland. Leaving before 18 is just unheard of unless you're a royal screw up that got kicked out.
My parents are not trying to boot me out. They are very supportive and if I choose to move out which I have in the past they will support me... I am simply saving up for the future.. instead of wasting it on something like renting an apartment.. and if a girl should not want to be with me because I'm smart about staying home to generate savings for our future.. she is not worth being with..
dubiousONE is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2008, 05:58 PM   #100
C17MooseDriver
8
Captain
 
C17MooseDriver's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX

Posts: 868
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullspace View Post
I think we're clear that living with your parents is not the right choice for you. It might be right for the OP though, so let's just respect that and move on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullspace View Post
I'm merely trying to get it back on course - didn't mean to offend.
Sorry, my bad. Changed my previous post.
__________________
C17MooseDriver is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2008, 06:00 PM   #101
dubiousONE
2
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2009 E92 335
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: California

Posts: 247
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C17MooseDriver View Post
Sorry, my bad. Changed my previous post.
I mean.. REAL TALK.. how many of you who own M3's still live with their parents regardless of by choice or not? HONESTLY! Lets hear them.. I simply can not be the only one here... that would be in that situation..
dubiousONE is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2008, 06:01 PM   #102
2008bimmerM3
2
Second Lieutenant
 
2008bimmerM3's Avatar
 
Drives: JB
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SO CAL

Posts: 208
iTrader: (0)

keep living with your parents, its all good

eventually when your parents get older approximately around their 60's you'll have to move back and live with them anyways, unless u want them to end in a depressingly crappy lifestyle at a retirement home.

imagine how much money you will save from now until they are 60 if you keep living at home. plus, they could use the help in the mortgage payments, ask them to add your name to the house
2008bimmerM3 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2008, 06:02 PM   #103
Mr. 5
86
Modder Raider
 
Mr. 5's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

Posts: 8,626
iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
It's a no brainer. Especially these days.
Get a house!

I saw the market starting to rise so I sold my 38k 330 and drove a 14k Mazda protege. I did this 3 years while I got used to the payments. I went from a 700 payment to a 200 payment.
I bought an e46 M3 afterwards.
Buy now and get a house for cheap. Then watch it go up in price the next 4 years. Then purchase an M3.
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Mr. 5 is offline   Scotland
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2008, 06:05 PM   #104
dubiousONE
2
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2009 E92 335
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: California

Posts: 247
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008bimmerM3 View Post
keep living with your parents, its all good

eventually when your parents get older approximately around their 60's you'll have to move back and live with them anyways, unless u want them to end in a depressingly crappy lifestyle at a retirement home.

imagine how much money you will save from now until they are 60 if you keep living at home. plus, they could use the help in the mortgage payments, ask them to add your name to the house
My name is already on the house. Currently as it is I own the house. Not my parents, even though they pay the mortgage as well. They have set me and my siblings up for the future already.

And you're absolutely right, when they get old, they will definitely be living with me or anyone of my siblings, and not at no retirement home...

Obviously I DO NOT plan on living with my parents until they turn 60. I have my own life to live and start my own family should the cards be in my favor and I happen to find the right one..
dubiousONE is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2008, 06:08 PM   #105
McLuVan
131
Lieutenant General
 
McLuVan's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Socal~818~

Posts: 13,120
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
A house first... car second.
yeaup
that's if you can get a loan
__________________
McLuVan is offline   Vietnam
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2008, 06:12 PM   #106
tightie
57
JOSH SHOKRI.
 
tightie's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 F80 YMB M3
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: los angeles, california.

Posts: 5,715
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [3.95]
go for the house.. fuck the car, anything will get you from a to b.. a 335 will even do the trick...
__________________
15 YMB F80 M3 | iND Painted Front Reflectors, Painted Side Marker Set, Rear Painted Emblem & Front Grill Surround| KW 3 Way Clubsport | Gintani Downpipes | Macht Schnell Stud Conversion Kit | JB4 | Too many wheels to list
*Track Day: November 2 @ Buttonwillow Raceway
tightie is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2008, 06:15 PM   #107
nullspace
0
Private
 
Drives: 2009 E92
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 79
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubiousONE View Post
I mean.. REAL TALK.. how many of you who own M3's still live with their parents regardless of by choice or not? HONESTLY! Lets hear them.. I simply can not be the only one here... that would be in that situation..
I think the real question you're facing might be the same one I ask myself: "Can I really justify spending this much on a car?" Let's face it, there are much better things you could do with your money. Move out of your parents' place? Save more? Just because we have the money doesn't mean we should spend it. You need to decide for yourself if throwing away this much money is worth it.

Be honest about your motivations and really think about what you're giving up to have the car. You might be able to retire earlier without it. You might lose your job and be stuck with a big payment. But I wouldn't worry about what anyone thinks of you or your car. Pleasing other people, except those close to you, doesn't tend to make you happy - at least in my experience.
nullspace is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2008, 06:34 PM   #108
kronzprinz
2
Second Lieutenant
 
kronzprinz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: EASTCOAST

Posts: 286
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubiousONE View Post
My name is already on the house. Currently as it is I own the house. Not my parents, even though they pay the mortgage as well. They have set me and my siblings up for the future already.

And you're absolutely right, when they get old, they will definitely be living with me or anyone of my siblings, and not at no retirement home...

Obviously I DO NOT plan on living with my parents until they turn 60. I have my own life to live and start my own family should the cards be in my favor and I happen to find the right one..

I think you just answered your own question...
kronzprinz is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2008, 06:34 PM   #109
flyinggonzo
1
Private First Class
 
flyinggonzo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 159
iTrader: (-1)

I would not be buying a M3 on a $80k salary, but it's your money.
__________________
2008 BMW E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue/Silver Covillo - no mods yet!
2004 VW Touareg V8 - Blue Silver Metallic/Black - no mods yet!
flyinggonzo is offline   Canada
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2008, 07:08 PM   #110
op487062
0
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: audi s5
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: los angeles

Posts: 36
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinggonzo View Post
I would not be buying a M3 on a $80k salary, but it's your money.
i agree. just because you can PAY for something, doesn't mean you can AFFORD it. this kind of thinking has gotten me into trouble in the past...

you're 28, make $80k, and have $100k saved--you're pretty good at planning. why lose a big chunk that gains about 4-8per cent/year to something that loses about 20% (if what i've read is correct) per year? it goes against what you've planned for.

buy a house if you like it, not because of the possible investment (real estate typically gains about 3-5% annually, other than tax deductions, it isn't a real investment imo).

$80,000 = +/- $7000/month salary
$7000 - (33% state/fed/fica taxes) - (10% retirement) = $ 4500
_______

$ 4500/mo -- this is before contributing to your decent savings acct and paying for living expenses, not to mention the mortgage and stuff. if you have about $1000 left over to cover the cost of the m3, do it.

i'd follow what a lot of people have said...get out of your parents house. independence is priceless--i'm asian, too, so i completely understand your thinking i'm in a similar income situation as you. i DESPERATELY want an m3 with their price drops/financing but i'm still driving my '02 tl pos because it's paid for

whatever you decide, good luck
op487062 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST