BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
GT Haus
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-16-2008, 09:34 AM   #1
Eurotrash8
Captain
 
Eurotrash8's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta

Posts: 623
iTrader: (4)

Fuel Consumption indicator

Sorry to post another MPG thread but it's NOT.

I did a search and came up without answers.

My question is the MPG indicator in the instrument cluster show me 15.5 MPG, (I just noticed this because I normally have it show the oil meter) it has not changed in the last week and a half. Do you need to reset this on the fly, does it calibrate itself auto every few minutes, or could it just be coincidence I drive at 15.5MPG all the time?

TIA guys
Eurotrash8 is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2008, 09:38 AM   #2
ihyln
Banned
 
Drives: M3post sucks
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: M3post sucks

Posts: 3,385
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to ihyln
use your onboard computer not the trip computer
ihyln is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2008, 10:15 AM   #3
Eurotrash8
Captain
 
Eurotrash8's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta

Posts: 623
iTrader: (4)

Can you elaborate on how to get this through the onboard computer?

So if that's the case what is the point of the MPG read out in on the instrument cluster?
Eurotrash8 is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2008, 10:25 AM   #4
J08M3
Major General
 
J08M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

Posts: 6,012
iTrader: (8)

It's very possible you drive an average MPG all the time. If you have a similar style of driving on similar terrain it's not a surprise you don't see much change. It's just an average so for example if you have 3,000+ city miles on your car since you last reset it and go for a 15 mile highway drive I wouldn't expect the average to change much. But if you reset it before that highway drive I'd expect you see a much different average.
__________________
J08M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2008, 10:36 AM   #5
Eurotrash8
Captain
 
Eurotrash8's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta

Posts: 623
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
It's very possible you drive an average MPG all the time. If you have a similar style of driving on similar terrain it's not a surprise you don't see much change. It's just an average so for example if you have 3,000+ city miles on your car since you last reset it and go for a 15 mile highway drive I wouldn't expect the average to change much. But if you reset it before that highway drive I'd expect you see a much different average.

OK.....so what your saying is that you indeed do have to reset it and then it calibrates the reading again.?.?.
Eurotrash8 is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2008, 10:43 AM   #6
J08M3
Major General
 
J08M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

Posts: 6,012
iTrader: (8)

it's constantly updating your average. What I'm saying is if you want to see your average for a particular trip you need to reset it before you start that trip.
__________________
J08M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2008, 10:44 AM   #7
mkoesel
Moderator
 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

Posts: 13,743
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurotrash8 View Post
or could it just be coincidence I drive at 15.5MPG all the time?
Its not that your driving behavior yields 15.5 MPG all the time. Its that the more miles you drive, the harder it becomes to visibly effect the average MPG you've achieved since you last reset the reading.

To reset it, hold the same button you use to select between different guage readouts in for a few seconds. It should display -.- or something like that for a moment and then start over. You'll see it change quite a bit initially and then after a few miles it will again settle in on the true average.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
mkoesel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2008, 02:48 PM   #8
Eurotrash8
Captain
 
Eurotrash8's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta

Posts: 623
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Its not that your driving behavior yields 15.5 MPG all the time. Its that the more miles you drive, the harder it becomes to visibly effect the average MPG you've achieved since you last reset the reading.

To reset it, hold the same button you use to select between different guage readouts in for a few seconds. It should display -.- or something like that for a moment and then start over. You'll see it change quite a bit initially and then after a few miles it will again settle in on the true average.
Your awesome!

Did just that and it works exactly as you described.

Thanks

Last edited by Eurotrash8; 10-16-2008 at 03:12 PM.
Eurotrash8 is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2008, 05:02 PM   #9
aggie57
First Lieutenant
 
aggie57's Avatar
 
Drives: 2.0d X3, 2009 997 Carrera S
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Posts: 354
iTrader: (0)

It looks like you can set the trip computer to reset after 4 hours idle. It's mentioned at the top of page 72 of the 335i User Manual (from the BMWUSA website) which includes the latest iDrive.

Maybe this is worth looking at as well although I can't see any reference there to a second fuel enconomy display as per our X3....
aggie57 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST