BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Racewerkz Engineering

10-11-2008, 10:28 AM   #23
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici

Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [4.25]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [5.00]
+1

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Radiation Joe is offline   United_States
      10-11-2008, 11:14 AM   #24
M3NNIS
Colonel

Drives: a truck for now

Send a message via AIM to M3NNIS Send a message via MSN to M3NNIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Nope. The dealer is not a law enforcement agency. It has no such role. During the intial purchase, someone representing the state checks out the car at the dealership and goes over whatever needs to be checked to make sure the car complies with the state requirements, and then the car is registered, and you drive it off the lot. After that, the dealer can't mess with your plates. Even then, it's not the dealer who is messing with your plates. It's the registration guy who is inspecting it for the new title. I know this because I had a conversation with my dealer when I bought the car.

If the dealer is unhappy about what you have done to your car, they can report that to the cops like any other citizen can, but they can't enforce any kind of law. Again, that's how it is in MA. I bet that is how it is in VA as well; why do you think they offered to pay for a new bumper cover if they had indeed done something they were legally required and entitled to do?
your reading to much into it, The dealership does have to abide by the laws and make the car road legal. however, that is not enforcing laws.
The point it that there is still no grounds for someone to demand anything from the dealer.
      10-11-2008, 12:05 PM   #25
lucid
Major General

Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschy View Post
your reading to much into it, The dealership does have to abide by the laws and make the car road legal. however, that is not enforcing laws.
The point it that there is still no grounds for someone to demand anything from the dealer.
Nah, you're reading too little into it. The dealer has no right to drill holes into your bumper, your property, without your consent during a service appointment. At least not in MA. By doing so, they are taking on a law enforcement role, which they are not entitled to. Modifying your property to make it conform to some kind of state law without your consent is law enforcement. What else is it if it is not law enforcement? And again, that's probably why they offered the OP to replace his bumper. Otherwise, if they were within their rights, they would have said that's the law and we are required to enforce it.
      10-11-2008, 12:09 PM   #26
jworms
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 99 E36 M3, 07 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jworms View Post
what if the car was destined for track use only and would never be driven on virginia streets? or what if the car was only bought in virginia but was going to be transported to another state? in those cases there would be no reason for the dealer to mount the license plate especially when it causes cosmetic damage to the car that would otherwise not be necessary. granted, this specific situation falls under neither one of those scenarios, but those are just a couple of examples of why dealers shouldn't assume every owner wants it mounted. the dealer should have confirmed with him before going through with the drilling on his bumper. if nothing else, it would have been common courtesy to do so.

if you went to the dealer with mods installed and the dealer took them off "for you" would you be a bit angry? i'm also not sure what obligation the dealer has after the car has been purchased.
Quote:
He Drove the car in for service on the city streets.
i was just providing examples of why the dealer shouldn't assume the customer wants the plate mounted at purchase time. the alternative front plate solution posted (without drilling into the bumper) is a perfect example of why the dealer should not have touched Sadd's bumper after purchase time. At most, they should have called Sadd and asked him how he wanted to proceed before taking the law into their own hands.
      10-11-2008, 12:53 PM   #27
M3NNIS
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Nah, you're reading too little into it. The dealer has no right to drill holes into your bumper, your property, without your consent during a service appointment. At least not in MA. By doing so, they are taking on a law enforcement role, which they are not entitled to. Modifying your property to make it conform to some kind of state law without your consent is law enforcement. What else is it if it is not law enforcement? And again, that's probably why they offered the OP to replace his bumper. Otherwise, if they were within their rights, they would have said that's the law and we are required to enforce it.
Thats not law enforcement, besides, a cop cannot drill a hole in your bumper and mount your plate either.
      10-11-2008, 01:10 PM   #28
jworms
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 99 E36 M3, 07 328i

Quote:
Thats not law enforcement, besides, a cop cannot drill a hole in your bumper and mount your plate either.
because even they don't have the authority to do so. after all, it's not their property. instead, they ticket you in hopes that you learn your lesson. the dealer doesn't even have that authority...
      10-11-2008, 01:13 PM   #29
lucid
Major General

Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
you keep on evading the questions: what is it if it is not law enforcement, and why did they back down and offer a new bumper if they did something they were supposed to do?

the police, or the relevant enforcement agency, can give you tickets, bar your car from traffic, have it towed, etc., if you don't comply with the registration requirements.

the bottom line is that the dealership did something they were not supposed to do, and they know it. you are the only one arguing against this.
      10-11-2008, 02:52 PM   #30
spyderco10
Colonel

Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedm3 View Post
Thats just disgusting. might as well put the holes and call it a day!
who wants their plate on 1 side like that, its even more of an eye sore!
EWW

Yeah, it's not pretty, but at least it doesn't compromise the integrity of the car.
- John 3:16
spyderco10 is offline   United_States
      10-11-2008, 02:52 PM   #31
Sadd
Private First Class

Drives: M3

That is very true, a cop can't...but he can write you a ticket and ask you to come with the car with the plate mounted. Thats when YOU decide to take it to BMW to get it mounted, not them.
Sadd is offline   United_States
      10-11-2008, 03:00 PM   #32
rzm3

Drives: E92 M3

didn't read the responses but if i were you, i would get some plugs for the mounting holes.

i have used many many body shops and none have yet to do a paint job that has the same quality as factory paint...

so, keep the factory painted bumper.
      10-11-2008, 03:06 PM   #33
Sadd
Private First Class

Drives: M3

BTW Bushy, Lucid is 100% right, and you keep avoiding his questions. And just so you know, the parts manager apologized to me after it happened, and this is what he said word for word " Sir, we made a mistake, we apologize and we'll fix it " ...I don't really think that people apologize to you when they do something they're entitled to, so plz bushy stop arguing man, like Lucid said, you re the only one to do so. On top of that, I really think that your posts are not helpful at all, because I asked for advises on how to ask for the euro one, so why are you talking about laws and stuff like that, u almost made this whole thread , This thing is happening man, they made a mistake and their ordering a new one from germany, Euro or US its coming anyway, so eventhough you were right about the cops and laws and bla bla bla ( which is not the case btw) it doesn't matter
Sadd is offline   United_States
      10-11-2008, 04:52 PM   #34
E90RWC
What you know about the twins?

Drives: bmw

If you got homies who are cops you are set.

That's how I do it.

10-11-2008, 09:08 PM   #35
M3NNIS
Colonel

First off, I answered your question and I agreed with you on everything.
My point that I made was that you don't have any groudns to demand anything from them.
They made a mistake... because you... there customer are upset.... they are apologizing to make you happy.. replacing your bumper to make you happy..

I wasnt arguing against anything,,, I made a point, and you guys keep saying other stuff about law enforcement etc etc.

What question was I asked that I avoided.

once again lets recap.
I agreed with the OP on everything and I answered his questions, and gave him a way to ask for a new bumper.
however, I also stated that the dealer doesnt have to replace the bumper and that if you ask for a different item other then the oem product, it makes it fishy.

Thats enough, I wont respond anymore, this is retarded. unless you show me the question I avoided, I will answer that.
      10-12-2008, 01:58 PM   #36
rcornelius
Faster

Drives: M3 Coupe Melbourne Red/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadd View Post
"" Need your opinion about smthing really f***d up that happened today, Thx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since the day I got my car ( 3 months ago), I never wanted to have a front license plate on that nice M bumper, eventhough front plates are required where I live. But I didn't really care, I just put it on the front dash when I park. I get tickets from time to time for not having it on the bumper, but I dont have any pblem with that since I am the one who decided to not put it (even my salesperson advised me to not put it when I got my car).
So I took my car yesterday for the 1200 miles services, and guess what, when I took it back today, I couldnt find the plate inside the car, so I just ran to the front and I see it on the bumper, I was so pissed. The only thing I wanted was "SERVICE", that's it.
Unfortunately I couldnt talk to anyone because it was too late in the afternoon, and they told me that the manager will call me tomorrow morning, so I wanted to catch this opportunity to know what would u guys do if you were me. (btw it wasnt the dealership I bought my car from)

Best, Sadd""

**All right guys this is what happened,

The parts manager gave me a call a couple of days ago and told me that they were willing to order a new bumper straight from germany, which is not bad at all...

Now the thing is how great would it be if I could manage to get "euro" bumper ( for free!!), what do you guys think, should I give it a shot? How would you ask?

Best, Sadd.
I've read all of the threads on this one. Man oh Man... Well I tend to agree with you in that you were upset that they put the tag bracket on your bumper. But I've got to agree with some of the other threads as well. I guess where you are located you are required to have a vehicle inspection once a year?? If that is the case, then I guess the state you are living in is one of them "Good Ole Boy States".??? Because where I'm from in order to receive the inspection sticker your vehicle must be in complance with the state laws. And if your state has a requirement for a license plate on the front then the BMW dealership that you purchsed the car from (assuming that it is located in the same state) is flat out wrong!!! I also fully believe that the dealership that you are dealing with is really doing you a favor by ordering a bumper. I would like to keep my front bumper clean, but we have laws that we as individuals must obide by, if not we receive points against our license, the second offense for the same item could cost us our license for a month or so. Not a big deal, if they used a color coordinated bracket, it does not really look that bad.

As for a Euro bumper, since I live here, I can find out the PN unless you already have this.
rcornelius is offline   Germany
      10-12-2008, 02:27 PM   #37
tma1c
Lieutenant

Drives: 08 E93 6MT M3

Send a message via AIM to tma1c
They should NEVER drill holes in your car without your permission. You should get a free bumper. Hope it works out for you!
tma1c is offline   United_States
      10-12-2008, 03:00 PM   #38
Sedan_Clan
Banned

Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
Here in California if you refuse to mount the front plate "YOU" sign paperwork taking responsibility. Did you sign anything when you purchased the car? If not, then they are responsible until you sign-off.
That isn't necessarily true. I've lived in California my entire life, and never have I signed anything of the sort.
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
      10-12-2008, 03:45 PM   #39
mdrobc13
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2012 BMW 550i  [5.00]
Send a message via MSN to mdrobc13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdrobc13
Well the dealership has not right to "enforce" the law after you take delivery. If you have no front plate then that is your decision and choice. It would be the same almost as having an illegal tint or an aftermarket exhaust not approved in all 50 states in your car or for street use only. If the dealer notices you are out of compliance is it their right to modify your vehicle to bring it into compliance with the law? Of course not...their duty probably goes only in so far as to "advise" you that you are out of standards but ends there.

With a purchase they can go ahead and 1) mount your plate before you even buy the vehicle as they are then still the rightful owners and you just accept that when you take delivery and purchase the car 2) Leave it off and ASK if you want it mounted (what they did when I picked up my car at the PDC) and leave it at that 3) or have you sign some form of paperwork as others have mentioned that you were briefed on the registration standards in your particular state and waived the plates and thus take responsibility for the actions. But that seems to be the extent of everyone's duties here.

So it was an honest mistake it seems...I'll avoid that dealership tho...LOL They seem to be doing the right thing for the customer in fixing their error as they presumed or someone did in the service bay on their behalf that the plate should be mounted although it wasn't written on the work order. Communication gaffe at best. Sounds like all parties are going to be satisfied.

As for the Eurobumper...I'd ask the service manager if there was a difference in price since now they are ordering one and if so offer to pay as others have said. Then if not I'd politely ask for them to substitute the Euro part when they order either way and be as accomodating as I could to set up installation and paint if possible.

My 2 cents...good luck and post pics whjichever way it turns out!
'08 e92 M3 coupe (Sparkling Graphite) -Gone
'06 e85 Z4 M Roadster (Black Metallic) -Gone
mdrobc13 is offline   United_States
      10-12-2008, 04:25 PM   #40
mdrobc13
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2012 BMW 550i  [5.00]
Send a message via MSN to mdrobc13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdrobc13
Also here is a list of options I found for front plate mounts/problems...see my recent post....

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...73#post3459373
'08 e92 M3 coupe (Sparkling Graphite) -Gone
'06 e85 Z4 M Roadster (Black Metallic) -Gone
mdrobc13 is offline   United_States
      10-12-2008, 05:27 PM   #41
racedoc11
Major

Drives: 2013 Audi RS5 & 08 M3 E93 SOLD

Garage List
2013 Audi RS5  [5.00]
2008 E93 M3  [5.00]
I agree....
Quote:
I think your greedy, and I think that if I was the service mgr and you asked me for a Euro bumper, I would think that the main reason you complained was to get something,,,, like a euro bumper,,, out of it.
take what they are giving you, they are rectifying the problem...

also, if a front plat is state law, where you are, the dealer is obligated to put it on, so he really "legally" did the right thing and you have no grounds for anything.

with that said, I would have been pissed, and I would have asked for a solution, now...
just ask him, if you can pay the difference between the bumpers and get the upgraded one, if not no big deal..
racedoc11 is offline   United_States
      10-12-2008, 06:41 PM   #42
Mack211
Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 M3 - DCT

Quote:
I think your greedy, and I think that if I was the service mgr and you asked me for a Euro bumper, I would think that the main reason you complained was to get something,,,, like a euro bumper,,, out of it.

also, if a front plat is state law, where you are, the dealer is obligated to put it on, so he really "legally" did the right thing and you have no grounds for anything.

with that said, I would have been pissed, and I would have asked for a solution, now...
just ask him, if you can pay the difference between the bumpers and get the upgraded one, if not no big deal..
Dealers are not legally obligated to put it on. You live in DFW it is state law here as well to have one. I would absolutely be asking for a new bumper and because of the trouble they put him through he has all the right in the world to ask for a euro bumper.
      10-12-2008, 06:58 PM   #43
drsnooz
Professor

Drives: 08 E60 M5

Quote:

Legally did the right thing??? Who own's the car? The dealer should only be doing authorized repair work on the car because they DO NOT own it anymore! They f'd up and you deserve a Euro bumber. Don't ask them, tell them you want the Euro bumper for the inconvenience they've caused you.
drsnooz is offline   United_States
      10-12-2008, 07:05 PM   #44
ideliver
Major

Drives: 08 E60 M5 & 08 Infiniti QX56

Garage List
2006 MB S430 SOLD  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedm3 View Post
Thats just disgusting. might as well put the holes and call it a day!
who wants their plate on 1 side like that, its even more of an eye sore!
EWW

the point of the tow hook license plate bracket... is so that you can pass the inspection without drilling your bumper....it is a temporary fix...but "attached" to the car
Cars I've owned '76 Chevelle 350 RIP '82 Monte Carlo 350 RIP '82 Mustang 302 RIP '88 Honda CRX RIP '88 Olds Toronado sold '94 Toyota Tercel sold '99 Acura TL sold 2002 Porsche 911 sold 2003 E46 M3 Blk/gr 2006 MB S430 sold Current: 2008 Infiniti QX56 & 2008 E60 M5