BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-10-2008, 09:46 PM   #1
Sadd
Private First Class
United_States
7
Rep
110
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Washington DC, Arlington VA

iTrader: (1)

Front License Plate Mistake: FOLLOW UP

"" Need your opinion about smthing really f***d up that happened today, Thx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since the day I got my car ( 3 months ago), I never wanted to have a front license plate on that nice M bumper, eventhough front plates are required where I live. But I didn't really care, I just put it on the front dash when I park. I get tickets from time to time for not having it on the bumper, but I dont have any pblem with that since I am the one who decided to not put it (even my salesperson advised me to not put it when I got my car).
So I took my car yesterday for the 1200 miles services, and guess what, when I took it back today, I couldnt find the plate inside the car, so I just ran to the front and I see it on the bumper, I was so pissed. The only thing I wanted was "SERVICE", that's it.
Unfortunately I couldnt talk to anyone because it was too late in the afternoon, and they told me that the manager will call me tomorrow morning, so I wanted to catch this opportunity to know what would u guys do if you were me. (btw it wasnt the dealership I bought my car from)

Best, Sadd""

**All right guys this is what happened,

The parts manager gave me a call a couple of days ago and told me that they were willing to order a new bumper straight from germany, which is not bad at all...

Now the thing is how great would it be if I could manage to get "euro" bumper ( for free!!), what do you guys think, should I give it a shot? How would you ask?

Best, Sadd.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 10:00 PM   #2
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
43
Rep
1,972
Posts

Drives: E92 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Norcal

iTrader: (0)

Uhhh ... "do you think you could order the Euro bumper instead?"
__________________


MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 10:12 PM   #3
M3NNIS
Colonel
M3NNIS's Avatar
47
Rep
2,196
Posts

Drives: a truck for now
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: DFW

iTrader: (6)

Send a message via AIM to M3NNIS Send a message via MSN to M3NNIS
I think your greedy, and I think that if I was the service mgr and you asked me for a Euro bumper, I would think that the main reason you complained was to get something,,,, like a euro bumper,,, out of it.
take what they are giving you, they are rectifying the problem...

also, if a front plat is state law, where you are, the dealer is obligated to put it on, so he really "legally" did the right thing and you have no grounds for anything.

with that said, I would have been pissed, and I would have asked for a solution, now...
just ask him, if you can pay the difference between the bumpers and get the upgraded one, if not no big deal..
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 10:16 PM   #4
Sadd
Private First Class
United_States
7
Rep
110
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Washington DC, Arlington VA

iTrader: (1)

Just so you understand, it doesnt have anything to do with upgrade..its just the same bumper with the euro specifications, and they cost the same.
Make your research before judging people
peace out
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 10:28 PM   #5
lucid
Major General
lucid's Avatar
United_States
117
Rep
8,034
Posts

Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

The dealer is only obligated to put the front plate on during delivery if that is required by the state's registration requirements. What you do to your car after you drive it off the lot upon delivery is between the state and you and does not involve the dealer. At least, that is how it is in MA.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 11:21 PM   #6
M3NNIS
Colonel
M3NNIS's Avatar
47
Rep
2,196
Posts

Drives: a truck for now
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: DFW

iTrader: (6)

Send a message via AIM to M3NNIS Send a message via MSN to M3NNIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadd View Post
Just so you understand, it doesnt have anything to do with upgrade..its just the same bumper with the euro specifications, and they cost the same.
Make your research before judging people
peace out
I know that, but that was how I was suggesting you say it. being as you are asking for something different from your oem. suggesting you pay a difference shows your not just trying to get free shit, come on dude get real..


and that statement has nothing to do with me judging you. Me judging you was being that you are not satified with them fixing what they broke.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 11:23 PM   #7
M3NNIS
Colonel
M3NNIS's Avatar
47
Rep
2,196
Posts

Drives: a truck for now
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: DFW

iTrader: (6)

Send a message via AIM to M3NNIS Send a message via MSN to M3NNIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
The dealer is only obligated to put the front plate on during delivery if that is required by the state's registration requirements. What you do to your car after you drive it off the lot upon delivery is between the state and you and does not involve the dealer. At least, that is how it is in MA.
I they sold him the car, then they are still obligated wether the car left and came back or not.

My point is that the dealer is complying with laws, there is no grounds for any wrong doing, acording to the law. so he would have so grounds to stand on should the dealer not do anything.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 11:31 PM   #8
jamesisel
Major
jamesisel's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
1,035
Posts

Drives: '09 Jerez/Fox Red E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wisconsin/ Tennessee

iTrader: (0)

So much anger in this post!!


__________________
Eisenmann Race Performance/VRS front lip 1x1/VRS type II diffuser 1x1/VRS single side trunk with Fade/19" HRE C90's/RE SSK/H&R Sport springs /35% tint/Painted reflectors/Painted side markers with dark tint LED's/Tinted tail lights/Front grilles/Hardwire V1
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 11:34 PM   #9
jworms
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
256
Posts

Drives: 99 E36 M3, 07 328i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Redondo Beach, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschy View Post
I they sold him the car, then they are still obligated wether the car left and came back or not.

My point is that the dealer is complying with laws, there is no grounds for any wrong doing, acording to the law. so he would have so grounds to stand on should the dealer not do anything.
what if the car was destined for track use only and would never be driven on virginia streets? or what if the car was only bought in virginia but was going to be transported to another state? in those cases there would be no reason for the dealer to mount the license plate especially when it causes cosmetic damage to the car that would otherwise not be necessary. granted, this specific situation falls under neither one of those scenarios, but those are just a couple of examples of why dealers shouldn't assume every owner wants it mounted. the dealer should have confirmed with him before going through with the drilling on his bumper. if nothing else, it would have been common courtesy to do so.

if you went to the dealer with mods installed and the dealer took them off "for you" would you be a bit angry? i'm also not sure what obligation the dealer has after the car has been purchased.

Last edited by jworms; 10-10-2008 at 11:40 PM. Reason: wrong state for OP
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 12:14 AM   #10
Sadd
Private First Class
United_States
7
Rep
110
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Washington DC, Arlington VA

iTrader: (1)

haha
well said jworms!
yo guys I posted this thread a few days ago and I got so many M fans helping me to find a way to get a new bumper, and now I get all these weird messages from people who take the dealer's side...where r u guys????
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 12:15 AM   #11
Sadd
Private First Class
United_States
7
Rep
110
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Washington DC, Arlington VA

iTrader: (1)

And btw, i know it has already been said above, but once again the dealer doesnt have anything to do with the laws man, as far as I know, not with the plate holder
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 12:44 AM   #12
Sadd
Private First Class
United_States
7
Rep
110
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Washington DC, Arlington VA

iTrader: (1)

Belive me the first person who advised me to not put a front plate was my sales person. I didnt even know that I had the choice, since I was living in Virginia. But he told me that Ill be fine, that the front plate doesnt look good on the car, an that none of his M customers put it ( following his advise)
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 02:03 AM   #13
spyderco10
Colonel
spyderco10's Avatar
United_States
36
Rep
2,425
Posts

Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Honolulu, HI

iTrader: (0)

In Hawaii we have a front license plate law. Now I really have no problem with mounting a front plate, I just didn't want holes drilled anywhere into the car. So, after searching the internet I found this:

http://www.gominigo.com/NHLPB-BMW.html

Solves both issues. I bought the kit and it works perfectly. Very solid.
__________________
“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 02:47 AM   #14
jworms
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
256
Posts

Drives: 99 E36 M3, 07 328i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Redondo Beach, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderco10 View Post
In Hawaii we have a front license plate law. Now I really have no problem with mounting a front plate, I just didn't want holes drilled anywhere into the car. So, after searching the internet I found this:

http://www.gominigo.com/NHLPB-BMW.html

Solves both issues. I bought the kit and it works perfectly. Very solid.
^ an incredibly valid reason the dealer had no business drilling into Sadd's bumper.

anywho, i'm glad it's being taken care of. go bmw!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 04:35 AM   #15
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
324
Rep
14,291
Posts

Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Yes definitely get the euro bumper. It's a no brainer.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 07:43 AM   #16
M3NNIS
Colonel
M3NNIS's Avatar
47
Rep
2,196
Posts

Drives: a truck for now
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: DFW

iTrader: (6)

Send a message via AIM to M3NNIS Send a message via MSN to M3NNIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jworms View Post
what if the car was destined for track use only and would never be driven on virginia streets? or what if the car was only bought in virginia but was going to be transported to another state? in those cases there would be no reason for the dealer to mount the license plate especially when it causes cosmetic damage to the car that would otherwise not be necessary. granted, this specific situation falls under neither one of those scenarios, but those are just a couple of examples of why dealers shouldn't assume every owner wants it mounted. the dealer should have confirmed with him before going through with the drilling on his bumper. if nothing else, it would have been common courtesy to do so.

if you went to the dealer with mods installed and the dealer took them off "for you" would you be a bit angry? i'm also not sure what obligation the dealer has after the car has been purchased.

He Drove the car in for service on the city streets.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 07:47 AM   #17
M3NNIS
Colonel
M3NNIS's Avatar
47
Rep
2,196
Posts

Drives: a truck for now
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: DFW

iTrader: (6)

Send a message via AIM to M3NNIS Send a message via MSN to M3NNIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadd View Post
haha
well said jworms!
yo guys I posted this thread a few days ago and I got so many M fans helping me to find a way to get a new bumper, and now I get all these weird messages from people who take the dealer's side...where r u guys????
I personally am not really taking the dealers side, just the devils Advocate.
People need to see both sides of the fence.

like I said, I would be mad and would have wanted a new bumper too, and probably requested a Euro one.
But, you have to realize that the dealer leagally didnt do anything wrong.

as for the dealer, yes they do have something to do with the laws, They have to follow them.
anyway.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 08:13 AM   #18
PortoM3
M3lover
United_States
7
Rep
412
Posts

Drives: SSII M3
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Harrogate, England

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Yahoo to PortoM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by buschy View Post
I think your greedy, and I think that if I was the service mgr and you asked me for a Euro bumper, I would think that the main reason you complained was to get something,,,, like a euro bumper,,, out of it.
take what they are giving you, they are rectifying the problem...

also, if a front plat is state law, where you are, the dealer is obligated to put it on, so he really "legally" did the right thing and you have no grounds for anything.

with that said, I would have been pissed, and I would have asked for a solution, now...
just ask him, if you can pay the difference between the bumpers and get the upgraded one, if not no big deal..
Hey, even if it's a legal thing in the state where you live, as it was in my state (WA), my dealer made me sign a paper saying I refused the front plate, and that I am taking the responsibility of any tickets I might get.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 08:36 AM   #19
lucid
Major General
lucid's Avatar
United_States
117
Rep
8,034
Posts

Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschy View Post
I they sold him the car, then they are still obligated wether the car left and came back or not.

My point is that the dealer is complying with laws, there is no grounds for any wrong doing, acording to the law. so he would have so grounds to stand on should the dealer not do anything.
Nope. The dealer is not a law enforcement agency. It has no such role. During the intial purchase, someone representing the state checks out the car at the dealership and goes over whatever needs to be checked to make sure the car complies with the state requirements, and then the car is registered, and you drive it off the lot. After that, the dealer can't mess with your plates. Even then, it's not the dealer who is messing with your plates. It's the registration guy who is inspecting it for the new title. I know this because I had a conversation with my dealer when I bought the car.

If the dealer is unhappy about what you have done to your car, they can report that to the cops like any other citizen can, but they can't enforce any kind of law. Again, that's how it is in MA. I bet that is how it is in VA as well; why do you think they offered to pay for a new bumper cover if they had indeed done something they were legally required and entitled to do?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 09:20 AM   #20
ideliver
Major
ideliver's Avatar
58
Rep
1,232
Posts

Drives: 08 E60 M5 & 08 Infiniti QX56
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: At the gas station

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 MB S430 SOLD  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
Wow...sooooo much misinformation in this thread...

To the OP...definitely try to get the euro bumper...

As far as everyone chiming in about the front bumper...remember that we are a nation of states...and every state has differnet rules and regulations...so it is kind of silly to pretend to know what goes on in every state with registration of cars...

That being said...no dealer should take it upon themselves to drill holes in the bumper...

And....the BMW tow-hook solution for front plates is well known and posted all over this board...but is the most reasonable solution....


BUT.... now...

Please tell me what legimate function a front plate serves....other than to make it easy to write parking tickets...think about the waste of resourses from the continued use of two plates...
__________________
Cars I've owned '76 Chevelle 350 RIP '82 Monte Carlo 350 RIP '82 Mustang 302 RIP '88 Honda CRX RIP '88 Olds Toronado sold '94 Toyota Tercel sold '99 Acura TL sold 2002 Porsche 911 sold 2003 E46 M3 Blk/gr 2006 MB S430 sold Current: 2008 Infiniti QX56 & 2008 E60 M5

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 10:05 AM   #21
J08M3
Major General
J08M3's Avatar
United_States
106
Rep
6,009
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

iTrader: (8)

[quote=ideliver;3454131
Please tell me what legimate function a front plate serves....other than to make it easy to write parking tickets...think about the waste of resourses from the continued use of two plates...[/QUOTE]

It gives the cops a good spot to aim they laser guns at.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 10:34 AM   #22
SlammedR8
Brigadier General
SlammedR8's Avatar
Canada
124
Rep
4,943
Posts

Drives: 2010 Audi R8 V10 +2013 Audi S4
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to SlammedR8
Thats just disgusting. might as well put the holes and call it a day!
who wants their plate on 1 side like that, its even more of an eye sore!
EWW



Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderco10 View Post
In Hawaii we have a front license plate law. Now I really have no problem with mounting a front plate, I just didn't want holes drilled anywhere into the car. So, after searching the internet I found this:

http://www.gominigo.com/NHLPB-BMW.html

Solves both issues. I bought the kit and it works perfectly. Very solid.
__________________
2010 Audi R8 V10 Coupe 6MT-White on Red
GMG Exhaust | H&R Springs | H&R Spacers | Carbonio Intake | UniTronic ECU Upgrade| 15% Tints/50% Windshield|LED License Plate
2013 Range Rover Sport-Black on Black
Stock with 15% Tint & 50% Windshield
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:34 AM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST