BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-10-2008, 12:22 PM   #1
rav7ks
First Lieutenant
rav7ks's Avatar
6
Rep
382
Posts

 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
08 M3  [0.00]
Tire failure

One of the front tires had a flat and the M mobility system was used which plugged up the leak.
Then the tire was causing steering wheel vibrations after a few hundred miles and was diagnosed by the dealership to have been caused by the tire being messed up by the fix a flat. A tire pressure monitoring device was also ruined. SO by using the BMW Mobility system, does BMW have to pay for the tire failure due to their system. I paid $474 for the tire and $ 80 for the TPS. Are the michelins to be used with the M mobility system as this failure was caused by using this ? If it is used, should the car be taken right away to the dealer to get it checked ?

Last edited by rav7ks; 10-10-2008 at 01:02 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 01:14 PM   #2
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
Radiation Joe's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
2,749
Posts

 
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Macungie PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [4.25]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [5.00]
You should take it up with yourself.

BMW is not on the hook for the cost of your tire due to a failure. The mobility kit is just that; a kit to get you mobile enough to drive to a source of the new tire.

Knowledgeable people don't use the mobility kit for just the reasons you described. It makes a terrible mess of the inside of the tire which is very difficult to clean out. You can thank the US government for your TPMS problem. BMW had a superior system for monitoring for flat tires that was legislated into obsolescence.

What I find unbelievable is that you didn't take the car in to repair the flat, you brought it in to complain about the vibration. If it wasn't vibrating the steering wheel, I'd bet you would have driven on it until the tire failed catastrophically. The ignorance of the average M3 driver on this board is disheartening.

I'm sure the same drivers that don't understand the function of the M-button could educate me ad infinitum on the intricacies of WoW.
__________________

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 01:57 PM   #3
lucid
Major General
lucid's Avatar
United_States
116
Rep
8,034
Posts

 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

I took out the mobility kit the day I bought the car. The car comes with free roadside assistance. If I get a flat, I'll just have the car towed. It'd be annoying but better than ruining a tire...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 02:21 PM   #4
JuniorDee
Captain
JuniorDee's Avatar
15
Rep
610
Posts

 
Drives: the speed limit
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: the land of brat and brotchen

iTrader: (1)

I got a flat, jacked the car up, took the tire off and took it to NTB to have fixed. Its all good now. I was told not to use the fix kit unless all else fails.
__________________
EDC.....viagra for your car
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 05:27 PM   #5
daltonnnn
U.S. Navy Officer
daltonnnn's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
418
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 X5 Diesel
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Coronado, CA

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to daltonnnn
+1
__________________
2012 X5d - Alpine White | Almost fully loaded | Color matched everything | Clear Bra | 4" Magnaflow race muffler exhaust system | JBD @ 80% | 20x10 Avant Garde M510s
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR - White
2008 M3 E92 - Retired - Alpine White | 6MT | Vorsteiner rear diffuser
*** Go Navy! *** ***Go SF 49ers!!!*** *** Go SF Giants!!!*****
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 06:22 PM   #6
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
Singletrack's Avatar
United_States
43
Rep
3,819
Posts

 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
I'm sure the same drivers that don't understand the function of the M-button could educate me ad infinitum on the intricacies of WoW.
ROFL. Decaf man; decaf. I do agree though that it's pretty odd that someone would think that is a permanent fix.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 06:40 PM   #7
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
Radiation Joe's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
2,749
Posts

 
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Macungie PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [4.25]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
ROFL. Decaf man; decaf. I do agree though that it's pretty odd that someone would think that is a permanent fix.
Yeah. I need to cut back. I'm thinking about changing my handle to Crotchety Old Man. It's much more appropriate.
__________________

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 05:39 PM   #8
rav7ks
First Lieutenant
rav7ks's Avatar
6
Rep
382
Posts

 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
08 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
You should take it up with yourself.

BMW is not on the hook for the cost of your tire due to a failure. The mobility kit is just that; a kit to get you mobile enough to drive to a source of the new tire.

Knowledgeable people don't use the mobility kit for just the reasons you described. It makes a terrible mess of the inside of the tire which is very difficult to clean out. You can thank the US government for your TPMS problem. BMW had a superior system for monitoring for flat tires that was legislated into obsolescence.

What I find unbelievable is that you didn't take the car in to repair the flat, you brought it in to complain about the vibration. If it wasn't vibrating the steering wheel, I'd bet you would have driven on it until the tire failed catastrophically. The ignorance of the average M3 driver on this board is disheartening.

I'm sure the same drivers that don't understand the function of the M-button could educate me ad infinitum on the intricacies of WoW.
Thanks for the input. Let me give you some details about this situation.
I bought a 6 mo old E92 M3 from someone with 5250 miles on it. He had used the M Mobility system to plug up a flat and just drove on the tire for I don't know how long. He didnt discuss this with me. When I bought it there was some vibration that I had attributed to some of the uneven road surfaces. After 100 miles this vibration got worse whenever I hit 70mph. I took the car in and was told it was the front tire that got damaged with fix a flat. I took it up with the seller and he is stating that BMW told him to use it and that they recommend using the product.
I agree, he should have taken it to get it checked. Plus, when I bought it I drove from delaware to maryland with this tire during a torrential downpour and the drive was nervewracking as it was raining buckets. I would hate to think about what could have happened. I didnt drive the car for 2 weeks since I was not able to get time to go for registration and when I did eventually get plates, I started noticing this issue. I am trying to get him to pay for the tire and he wants to give me $200 for it.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2008, 10:48 PM   #9
skierman64
Brigadier General
skierman64's Avatar
United_States
43
Rep
3,068
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 Space Gray M3 & E36M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Greater St Louis Metro area

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to skierman64
$474 for a PS2...ouch. I recommend shopping around next time. www.tirerack.com

I agree that the seller should have disclosed the tire issue. IMHO, he should give you $295+shipping and installation, this is the tirerack price for that tire. Go for $350-$400 and call it good.
__________________
Get a professional motorsports full featured stopwatch app for your Blackberry here: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/19464
Invest Wisely...The best mod for your money?? BMWCCA high performance driver's school. The mod that lasts a lifetime and improves the performance of any car you drive
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 12:10 PM   #10
mightyaa
Private
2
Rep
70
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Denver

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
I took out the mobility kit the day I bought the car. The car comes with free roadside assistance. If I get a flat, I'll just have the car towed. It'd be annoying but better than ruining a tire...
That's basically my plan too. Question though, since I haven't bothered really examining the fix a flat components. Can you use the air compressor (does it have one) without using the can of goo? Most of my flats are typically slow leakers like a nail.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 11:41 AM   #11
GT3 Tim
Moderator
GT3 Tim's Avatar
United_States
30
Rep
1,897
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyaa View Post
That's basically my plan too. Question though, since I haven't bothered really examining the fix a flat components. Can you use the air compressor (does it have one) without using the can of goo? Most of my flats are typically slow leakers like a nail.
Yes, you could just add air with the compressor if it is a slow leak.

edit: I would avoid the goo at all costs...unless it is an utter emergency. Note...you will most likely have to replace the tire and sensor though.

On "high perfoemance tires", they are only supposed to use a patch to fix it, not a plug, FYI. If you get a slow-leaker, and are not close to an air source, you could use the compressor and top it off. I would find a place to patch it asap. Otherwise, if you run the tire low, it may look ok on the outside, but the inside actually takes quite a beating! You will ruin a tire really quick running it low....speaking from experience. lol

I have typically just replaced a tire when I get a nail as I used to track a lot...having a patch in the tire tends to cross your mind when ripping through a 100 mph sweeper. lol
__________________
Tim (apparently likes "3" cars)
E90 M3 -- Current ride
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 12:42 PM   #12
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
Singletrack's Avatar
United_States
43
Rep
3,819
Posts

 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav7ks View Post
Thanks for the input. Let me give you some details about this situation.
I bought a 6 mo old E92 M3 from someone with 5250 miles on it. He had used the M Mobility system to plug up a flat and just drove on the tire for I don't know how long. He didnt discuss this with me. When I bought it there was some vibration that I had attributed to some of the uneven road surfaces. After 100 miles this vibration got worse whenever I hit 70mph. I took the car in and was told it was the front tire that got damaged with fix a flat. I took it up with the seller and he is stating that BMW told him to use it and that they recommend using the product.
I agree, he should have taken it to get it checked. Plus, when I bought it I drove from delaware to maryland with this tire during a torrential downpour and the drive was nervewracking as it was raining buckets. I would hate to think about what could have happened. I didnt drive the car for 2 weeks since I was not able to get time to go for registration and when I did eventually get plates, I started noticing this issue. I am trying to get him to pay for the tire and he wants to give me $200 for it.
Wow, that is incredibly dishonest or he is a total moron. I'm fairly certain that it CLEARLY states in the manual that the repair system is not permanent and is only intended to get you to a place that can repair or replace the tire.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:10 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST