BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-05-2008, 07:53 PM   #133
SiNiStErE92
First Lieutenant
 
SiNiStErE92's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fl

Posts: 312
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtoB View Post
okay....if you say so.
Lol i know. WILL@LONGBEACH if your not interested no ones forcing you to revisit the thread
SiNiStErE92 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-05-2008, 07:56 PM   #134
will@longbeachbmw
 
will@longbeachbmw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Beach, CA

Posts: 735
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiNiStErE92 View Post
Lol i know. WILL@LONGBEACH if your not interested no ones forcing you to revisit the thread

Agreed -- it just seems like you keep instigating this thread for your own enjoyment.

Out!
will@longbeachbmw is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-05-2008, 07:57 PM   #135
AtoB
Major
 
AtoB's Avatar
 
Drives: Z4M
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Boston

Posts: 1,259
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiNiStErE92 View Post
Lol i know. WILL@LONGBEACH if your not interested no ones forcing you to revisit the thread
AtoB is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-05-2008, 09:25 PM   #136
vAnt826
Major
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Seattle

Posts: 1,418
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
The M3 would actually be better with the LSD
Judging by my old S2000 which also had an LSD, only one wheel will spin in 0 traction situations.
vAnt826 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-06-2008, 09:13 AM   #137
mkoesel
Moderator
 
Drives: IB/PS M-DCT E93 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

Posts: 13,562
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vAnt826 View Post
Judging by my old S2000 which also had an LSD, only one wheel will spin in 0 traction situations.
Class is in session:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/at_011219.htm
__________________
2008 Interlagos Blue E93 M3 - FOR SALE - Engine failure at 95k miles.
Best offer takes it: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...1#post16279561
mkoesel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2008, 06:29 PM   #138
ik999
Lieutenant
 
ik999's Avatar
 
Drives: monacoblau e90 335i
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: markham, ontario

Posts: 499
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vAnt826 View Post
Judging by my 335i in the winter, the M3 is probably going to be worse.

Meaning no hills. Period.


really?

I had no probs with winter tires

I just got stuck once when pushing the limits
ik999 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2008, 06:32 PM   #139
AtoB
Major
 
AtoB's Avatar
 
Drives: Z4M
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Boston

Posts: 1,259
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ik999 View Post
really?

I had no probs with winter tires

I just got stuck once when pushing the limits
my Z4M is fine in the snow with snowtires.
AtoB is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2008, 02:19 AM   #140
E82tt6
Colonel
 
E82tt6's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 2,629
iTrader: (0)

The M6 is without a doubt a very, very quick car, especially at triple digit speeds.

Low 12s at over 115 is just fine for a street car.


The acceleration of the M6 is certainly impressive to me, and I've owned an '03 Cobra with fairly substantial work done to it, so I think I have fair perspective on what a "fast" car is.

As far as comparisons to a tuned N54, in my experience, a 135i with Catless DPs, JB3, and 100 octane is a driver's race with an M5 until ~120mph. This isn't surprising, given both are low 12 second cars that trap in the mid 1-teens. I don't think there's any doubt that the fastest tuned 335is are faster than an M6, given they put down a similar amount of power to the wheels (perhaps down 20-30, 400-410 as opposed to 420-430), while weighing a few hundred pounds less.
__________________
'08 Black Saphire/Black Z4 M Coupe
RIP Gretta: Blue Water/Lemon 135i. Died to save me.
-ChuckV
E82tt6 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2008, 02:02 PM   #141
darkphantom
Banned
 
Drives: E93 335i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The place for Bimmers

Posts: 5,949
iTrader: (4)

Send a message via AIM to darkphantom
SMG > Manual - you may not get that feeling, but it can definitely shift faster....unless you're Schumacher - in which case you'd be on par with SMG...
darkphantom is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2008, 02:54 PM   #142
karmasabish
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 06 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 419
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiNiStErE92 View Post
Lol i think people say this because they just havent been in other "performance vehicles". M6 is quick but it is far from FAST.
there are alot of posts in this thread. I'd just like to respond to this one by saying that you need to get your head checked. What planet are you on?

if you want a car to "FEEL FAST" you should just get yourself a vette. its low end torque that throws you into your seat making the car "feel fast". M cars, the v8s included are not meant to be torque wonders, the engines are part of a performance system that allows you to extract the most speed from the chassis through turns and twists and straightaways. The engines are tuned with the gearing which is tuned with suspension which is tuned with the steering. They don't make drag cars. I have an 06 M Roadster and an E30 M3. Neither would be considered "fast" by your standards but i can tell you as an overall package both cars will haul some serious ass through turns - the M Roadster is able to hold its on against MANY sports cars in a straight line.
karmasabish is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2008, 04:43 PM   #143
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
 
UltimateBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MP4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South

Posts: 3,287
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82tt6 View Post
As far as comparisons to a tuned N54, in my experience, a 135i with Catless DPs, JB3, and 100 octane is a driver's race with an M5 until ~120mph. This isn't surprising, given both are low 12 second cars that trap in the mid 1-teens. I don't think there's any doubt that the fastest tuned 335is are faster than an M6, given they put down a similar amount of power to the wheels (perhaps down 20-30, 400-410 as opposed to 420-430), while weighing a few hundred pounds less.
I haven't heard of a 335i making anywhere near 500bhp yet. Perhaps I misunderstood what you are saying?

Last time I checked, the power in the 335i was comparatively near the M3, but not quite as much. (Coupled with the lack of all the other performance upgrades the M3 offers, it's no longer comparable.)

Anyways, everyone's opinions are different. Everyone is biased. And if you had a bad personal experience with the car then no amount of forum banter will alter that perception. You can either A) Take another test drive since some time as passed. Maybe you were doing something wrong or the car had a hidden issue. B) Accept that your opinion is the outlier here, and move on.

This is a BMW forum, full of BMW enthusiasts. Of course we will be biased to one degree or another. But it is widely accepted that the M5 and M6 are fast cars. Perhaps, your comparison is relative to some uber-fantastic cars. In which case, this thread is just as beaten to death as if you just didn't know what the hell you were talking about.
__________________
UltimateBMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2008, 06:36 PM   #144
E82tt6
Colonel
 
E82tt6's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 2,629
iTrader: (0)

There are several 335is that have made near, or more than 400rwhp.

A chip only 335i will put down about 350rwhp, on par or slightly more than an E90 M3. Your standard 335i with bolt ons (DPs, Intercooler) and tuning will put down 370-380. The cars making 400 or more are usually running race gas, but some cars are just factory freaks.

So, a chip only 335/135 will make about as much power as an E90 M3. One with full bolt ons and race gas will be down 20-30 on one of the V10 cars.

Based on the dynos I've seen, an E90 M3 does well to make 350rwhp stock, and a V10 M car will put down about 430 at most. Stock, of course, I've seen heavily modified M5 and M6s putting down near 500rw.

As for "bhp", well, you can figure that out however you like. If you want to base it on what cars putting similar power to the wheels are rated stock, you'd call a tune only (except for Dinan and SSTT, they make considerably less) 335i 410-420bhp, one with boltons 440-450, and one with boltons and race gas 470+.



Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
I haven't heard of a 335i making anywhere near 500bhp yet. Perhaps I misunderstood what you are saying?

Last time I checked, the power in the 335i was comparatively near the M3, but not quite as much. (Coupled with the lack of all the other performance upgrades the M3 offers, it's no longer comparable.)

Anyways, everyone's opinions are different. Everyone is biased. And if you had a bad personal experience with the car then no amount of forum banter will alter that perception. You can either A) Take another test drive since some time as passed. Maybe you were doing something wrong or the car had a hidden issue. B) Accept that your opinion is the outlier here, and move on.

This is a BMW forum, full of BMW enthusiasts. Of course we will be biased to one degree or another. But it is widely accepted that the M5 and M6 are fast cars. Perhaps, your comparison is relative to some uber-fantastic cars. In which case, this thread is just as beaten to death as if you just didn't know what the hell you were talking about.
__________________
'08 Black Saphire/Black Z4 M Coupe
RIP Gretta: Blue Water/Lemon 135i. Died to save me.
-ChuckV
E82tt6 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2008, 11:02 PM   #145
SiNiStErE92
First Lieutenant
 
SiNiStErE92's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fl

Posts: 312
iTrader: (0)

I have to plead guilty . I have been comparing it to Uber-Fantasic cars. However as karmasabish said these M cars do accel when it comes to twists and turns. Not as much straight line power. So that could result in why i just didn't fall in love with the car.
SiNiStErE92 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-09-2008, 01:30 AM   #146
exidisjon
PuffPuffPass
 
exidisjon's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335xi AW/Saddle
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: NJ

Posts: 1,098
iTrader: (8)

Poor people's M car = 335.. I love my 335 with JB3 and i sometimes call it a M killer lol
__________________

My right foot weighs more than my left for sure.
exidisjon is offline   South Korea
0
Reply With Quote
      10-09-2008, 09:48 AM   #147
SiNiStErE92
First Lieutenant
 
SiNiStErE92's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fl

Posts: 312
iTrader: (0)

Lol ^ This is true...
SiNiStErE92 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-09-2008, 11:52 AM   #148
Ken37.73
Private 1st Class
 
Ken37.73's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 Jet Black
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ireland

Posts: 473
iTrader: (0)

No way is an M6 faster than a 335i. Stands to reason.
__________________
Ken37.73 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-09-2008, 01:34 PM   #149
simp0man
Not looking 2 SPEED, just looking GOOD
 
simp0man's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 328i
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Stockton, Ca

Posts: 2,522
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Wow, someday I will get my M too. Someday. Congrats!
__________________
simp0man is offline   Cambodia
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST