BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion
 
E92-lighting
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-01-2008, 12:04 AM   #67
akhter
Major
akhter's Avatar
23
Rep
1,150
Posts

Drives: F10 LCI 520i Sophisto Grey
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
I can tell you from plenty of experience that the 3 feels faster, but watching the speedo the M6 is definitely faster.
So you are agreeing with my longer post above?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 12:05 AM   #68
vgame64
Colonel
vgame64's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
2,480
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA

iTrader: (9)

Anyone have an idea of how a 335i JB3/V3 would fare against an M6 coupe in a track race scenario?

I mean the M6 is an ///M...therefore having an awesome suspension as well as a really nice LSD (not to mention 500 bhp).

But it is still a Grand Tourer weighing in with an unladen weight of 3909 lbs vs the 335i's unladen weight of 3594 lbs/3571 lbs (sedan/coupe).

I personally would like to see a 2500 lbs 800 HP Twin Turbo ///M BMW Supercar (a modern day Mclaren F1). I doubt anyone on the boards would have any confusion as to whether their 335i's were faster...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 12:06 AM   #69
Year's_End
RWD only.
Year's_End's Avatar
United_States
348
Rep
12,395
Posts

Drives: 2015 S550 GT
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhter View Post
So you are agreeing with my longer post above?
yup
__________________
Past: '08 E92 335i|JB|wheels|"eater of HPFPs"

Present:'15 Mustang GT|401A|PP|Recaros|6MT
Sig pic unrelated. I like to go sideways and stuff.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 12:07 AM   #70
Year's_End
RWD only.
Year's_End's Avatar
United_States
348
Rep
12,395
Posts

Drives: 2015 S550 GT
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgame64 View Post
I personally would like to see a 2500 lbs 800 HP Twin Turbo ///M BMW Supercar (a modern day Mclaren F1). I doubt anyone on the boards would have any confusion as to whether their 335i's were faster...
Something like that would have to be mid-engined, have ridiculously sticky rubber and massive downforce. That's so much power for a 2500lb car.
__________________
Past: '08 E92 335i|JB|wheels|"eater of HPFPs"

Present:'15 Mustang GT|401A|PP|Recaros|6MT
Sig pic unrelated. I like to go sideways and stuff.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 12:26 AM   #71
akhter
Major
akhter's Avatar
23
Rep
1,150
Posts

Drives: F10 LCI 520i Sophisto Grey
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgame64 View Post
Anyone have an idea of how a 335i JB3/V3 would fare against an M6 coupe in a track race scenario?
M6 would win as it has much more linear power delivery, better suspension, wider sticker tires, LSD. All this would make it better/easier in corners.

M6 would also win in long straights with a higher top speed because of more HP.

The tuned 335i has no chance againts an M6 with a halfway decent race driver.
However, if you only track a few times a year and have never been to racing school, on an M6 you will have trouble passing tuned 335i around corners as it has the low end torque. However, there if there is a long straight on the track, even a retard driving an M6 will pass tuned 335i.

If you have a tuned 335i with LSD + good suspension/tires (all of which can be had for 10-15k), then it will be much closer, however, M6 will still kill it on long straightways, although the 335i will become impossible to pass in corners.

This is pure speculation as I have never driven an M6.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 12:33 AM   #72
AMJ_77
Captain
AMJ_77's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
667
Posts

Drives: AW E92 M3 M-DCT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Edmonton

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhter View Post
M6 would win as it has much more linear power delivery, better suspension, wider sticker tires, LSD. All this would make it better/easier in corners.

M6 would also win in long straights with a higher top speed because of more HP.

The tuned 335i has no chance againts an M6 with a halfway decent race driver.
However, if you only track a few times a year and have never been to racing school, on an M6 you will have trouble passing tuned 335i around corners as it has the low end torque. However, there if there is a long straight on the track, even a retard driving an M6 will pass tuned 335i.

If you have a tuned 335i with LSD + good suspension/tires (all of which can be had for 10-15k), then it will be much closer, however, M6 will still kill it on long straightways, although the 335i will become impossible to pass in corners.

This is pure speculation as I have never driven an M6.
I don't believe this, if you keep your revs up (which the M does) coming out of the corner it would deliver the power much more linear and eat the 335 alive. PS I owned the 335 and currently have an M3, gotta say the 335 was quite boring compared to the M.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 12:44 AM   #73
akhter
Major
akhter's Avatar
23
Rep
1,150
Posts

Drives: F10 LCI 520i Sophisto Grey
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ_77 View Post
I don't believe this, if you keep your revs up (which the M does) coming out of the corner it would deliver the power much more linear and eat the 335 alive. PS I owned the 335 and currently have an M3, gotta say the 335 was quite boring compared to the M.
Isn't that what I said? Which statement are you referring to?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 12:46 AM   #74
AMJ_77
Captain
AMJ_77's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
667
Posts

Drives: AW E92 M3 M-DCT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Edmonton

iTrader: (2)

sorry, I was referring to the corning comparison
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 01:08 AM   #75
vgame64
Colonel
vgame64's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
2,480
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhter View Post
M6 would win as it has much more linear power delivery, better suspension, wider sticker tires, LSD. All this would make it better/easier in corners.

M6 would also win in long straights with a higher top speed because of more HP.

The tuned 335i has no chance againts an M6 with a halfway decent race driver.
However, if you only track a few times a year and have never been to racing school, on an M6 you will have trouble passing tuned 335i around corners as it has the low end torque. However, there if there is a long straight on the track, even a retard driving an M6 will pass tuned 335i.

If you have a tuned 335i with LSD + good suspension/tires (all of which can be had for 10-15k), then it will be much closer, however, M6 will still kill it on long straightways, although the 335i will become impossible to pass in corners.

This is pure speculation as I have never driven an M6.
Makes sense. I would then assume an E9x M3 would surpass an M6 on a turn heavy course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
Something like that would have to be mid-engined, have ridiculously sticky rubber and massive downforce. That's so much power for a 2500lb car.
Yeah, mid engined, Veyron or Viper ACR-esque spoiler and aero parts, and F1 inspired street legal slicks.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 09:20 AM   #76
ihyln
Banned
United_States
44
Rep
3,385
Posts

Drives: M3post sucks
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: M3post sucks

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to ihyln
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiNiStErE92 View Post
I have to say even though it is my thread it has taken a turn i didn't want. But it has 50 comments in under 2 hours thats pretty good.
I'm pretty sure you had a lobotomy recently
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 10:12 AM   #77
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
lyndon_h's Avatar
20
Rep
1,920
Posts

Drives: e90
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Madagascar

iTrader: (2)

You guys are giving the OP a hard time. He said that the M6 didn't feel as mean as a JB3 e9x, which is very possible, even probable, since he is comparing a N/A car to a turbo car. Its very hard to reproduce the immediate torque or a turbo.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 11:16 AM   #78
vgame64
Colonel
vgame64's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
2,480
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndon_h View Post
You guys are giving the OP a hard time. He said that the M6 didn't feel as mean as a JB3 e9x, which is very possible, even probable, since he is comparing a N/A car to a turbo car. Its very hard to reproduce the immediate torque or a turbo.
I agree. I have never been in a moving M6 but I think the OP feels the M6 is not as mean from a stop as is the JB3 but once the M6 is rolling it is a faster and more refined beast.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 11:22 AM   #79
T Bone
Brigadier General
T Bone's Avatar
150
Rep
4,021
Posts

Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The land where we kill baby seals

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndon_h View Post
You guys are giving the OP a hard time. He said that the M6 didn't feel as mean as a JB3 e9x, which is very possible, even probable, since he is comparing a N/A car to a turbo car. Its very hard to reproduce the immediate torque or a turbo.

I will tell you guys this..... The M6 / M5 is vulnerable before 5000 rpm....once it gets in the powerband and stays there with the close ratio box.

When I drove the M3 / M5 / M6 back to back at VIR, I was afraid of the acceleration of the M5 / M6 at 140 mph+ these things are pulling strong minus the gut punching torque.
__________________
"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"......Enzo Ferrari
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 12:05 PM   #80
SiNiStErE92
First Lieutenant
SiNiStErE92's Avatar
21
Rep
312
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fl

iTrader: (0)

vulnerable . That was the word I was looking for . Sorry if I said things that may have been misleading.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 12:35 PM   #81
gshb
First Lieutenant
3
Rep
363
Posts

Drives: slow
Join Date: May 2006
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

i dont know if its because i goto amusement parks a lot, but none of these cars seem all that fast to me. high g's through the corners though are what turn me on (because thats what feels most like a roller coaster) and so far the R8 is the best ive experienced. i do look forward to the corvettes but haven't had the chance yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 05:11 PM   #82
galahad05
Colonel
galahad05's Avatar
31
Rep
2,618
Posts

Drives: '07 335i e90
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Island NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshb View Post
i dont know if its because i goto amusement parks a lot, but none of these cars seem all that fast to me. high g's through the corners though are what turn me on (because thats what feels most like a roller coaster) and so far the R8 is the best ive experienced. i do look forward to the corvettes but haven't had the chance yet.
I bet you wouldn't be impressed unless the car punches out of the hole so hard it hurts your neck...
__________________
Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine
--Lord Byron
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 05:26 PM   #83
SiNiStErE92
First Lieutenant
SiNiStErE92's Avatar
21
Rep
312
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fl

iTrader: (0)

I have to say myself every car seems quite slow / boring compared to the ford gt. What an animal..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 06:55 PM   #84
billspreston
damn you mod bug
billspreston's Avatar
40
Rep
2,117
Posts

Drives: F30 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: CA

iTrader: (12)

Send a message via AIM to billspreston
My first sexual experience didn't feel very fast either. Although I'm sure it was pretty damn fast in retrospect. Catch my drift...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 07:36 PM   #85
E92to997
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
212
Posts

Drives: 997tt/e92 335
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Southern California

iTrader: (0)

this fread tails
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 12:58 AM   #86
vAnt826
Major
27
Rep
1,420
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (3)

The OP is not saying that the M6 is slower, he's just saying that it feels slower.

It makes sense too. A chipped 335i seems to get around 380lbs of torque before 2000 rpm. The M6 gets 380lbs of torque at around 6000 rpm.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 02:23 AM   #87
Robert
Major General
121
Rep
6,907
Posts

Drives: 135i, current is350
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Socal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
I will tell you guys this..... The M6 / M5 is vulnerable before 5000 rpm....once it gets in the powerband and stays there with the close ratio box.

When I drove the M3 / M5 / M6 back to back at VIR, I was afraid of the acceleration of the M5 / M6 at 140 mph+ these things are pulling strong minus the gut punching torque.
So technically 335i can beat a M6 if the competition is set to end at 5000rpm
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 10:26 AM   #88
T Bone
Brigadier General
T Bone's Avatar
150
Rep
4,021
Posts

Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The land where we kill baby seals

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbo View Post
So technically 335i can beat a M6 if the competition is set to end at 5000rpm

I would agree with that.....
__________________
"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"......Enzo Ferrari
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41 PM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST