BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing
 
ESS Tuning
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-30-2008, 03:06 PM   #1
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
 
asdflkijd's Avatar
 
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 5,503
iTrader: (14)

Garage List
Which computer speakers?

I'm in the market for a new set of speakers for my MBP, I listen to R&B, Hip-hop, classical, Jazz, Rock, Idie, ballad etc etc..... I came to a decision of either the Bose Companion II's (2.0) or the Logitech Z-2300 (2.1 THX)... I've heard both of them and they sound great, the Bose has better clairity and the Logitech obviously has better bass and boom... Grr I can't make up my mind! I think I'd be happy with either or... Which one would you guys choose? Other recommendations are welcomed.
asdflkijd is offline   South Korea
0
Reply With Quote
      09-30-2008, 03:13 PM   #2
schadenfreude
Lieutenant
 
schadenfreude's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 E90 M-DCT M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 424
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [0.00]
I have an older Klipsch 4.1 setup that still sounds great, even though I'm only using the 2 front channels and the sub. If you can audition the ProMedia 2.1 which they still make, I think you'll be pleased.

My only complaint about the speakers is the (brief) GSM buzz I get when a cellular phone call with the phone nearby. Bass is strong, and the surrounds sound great for music and movies.
schadenfreude is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-30-2008, 03:17 PM   #3
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
 
UltimateBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MP4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South

Posts: 3,287
iTrader: (0)

I've never been a big fan of Bose. I think they are all hype, and you pay alot for an inflated brand label. I don't think they sound bad, and may suffice for computer speakers however.

Speakers is a pretty personal choice, and I tend to go for clarity over big bass. Especially on a computer speaker which is near sensitive material. If you are stuck between those 2 choices, I would choose the Bose for the clarity even though I wouldn't be happy about it. But I haven't heard either system in person mind you.

I like HK's computer speakers. My current computer speakers are by Harmon Kardon and they have been great. I've had them for over 8 years and they work just as good now as the day they came with my dell computer they were packaged with. I've used them with 3 different primary computers over the years. They provide decent bass and nice clarity by my standards. But I can't talk too much about any of their newer stuff. I also don't have too much to compare them too either.
__________________
UltimateBMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-30-2008, 03:26 PM   #4
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
 
asdflkijd's Avatar
 
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 5,503
iTrader: (14)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
I've never been a big fan of Bose. I think they are all hype, and you pay alot for an inflated brand label. I don't think they sound bad, and may suffice for computer speakers however.

Speakers is a pretty personal choice, and I tend to go for clarity over big bass. Especially on a computer speaker which is near sensitive material. If you are stuck between those 2 choices, I would choose the Bose for the clarity even though I wouldn't be happy about it. But I haven't heard either system in person mind you.

I like HK's computer speakers. My current computer speakers are by Harmon Kardon and they have been great. I've had them for over 8 years and they work just as good now as the day they came with my dell computer they were packaged with. I've used them with 3 different primary computers over the years. They provide decent bass and nice clarity by my standards. But I can't talk too much about any of their newer stuff. I also don't have too much to compare them too either.
do you mean the soundstick II's? they sound great but they look like hahhaha
asdflkijd is offline   South Korea
0
Reply With Quote
      09-30-2008, 03:29 PM   #5
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
 
asdflkijd's Avatar
 
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 5,503
iTrader: (14)

Garage List
now that I think about it, 2.1's are out of the picture, I dont wanna be lugging around a subwoofer when I move into my apt etc... I think a nice pair of 2.0's would suffice.

Something like the Companion II's or the Creative Gigaworks t20's
asdflkijd is offline   South Korea
0
Reply With Quote
      09-30-2008, 03:38 PM   #6
PLAYON
Major
 
PLAYON's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 550i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: East Coast

Posts: 1,414
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2003 Audi A4  [0.00]
I've got the Bose Companion 5 for my MacBook, expensive but they're the best speakers I've owned.

A Marketing Photo:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TK...A?mco=7E525C16

Previously I had a set of 4.1 Channel Creative speakers and they were excellent also.
__________________
PLAYON is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-30-2008, 03:44 PM   #7
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
 
asdflkijd's Avatar
 
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 5,503
iTrader: (14)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLAYON View Post
I've got the Bose Companion 5 for my MacBook, expensive but they're the best speakers I've owned.

A Marketing Photo:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TK...A?mco=7E525C16

Previously I had a set of 4.1 Channel Creative speakers and they were excellent also.
damn, I was drooling over that at bestbuy the other day unfortunately thats wayyy over my budget for a pair of speakers :/ I was thinking up to $150
asdflkijd is offline   South Korea
0
Reply With Quote
      09-30-2008, 03:54 PM   #8
PLAYON
Major
 
PLAYON's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 550i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: East Coast

Posts: 1,414
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2003 Audi A4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdflkijd View Post
damn, I was drooling over that at bestbuy the other day unfortunately thats wayyy over my budget for a pair of speakers :/ I was thinking up to $150
they thump, But the only reason I got them was because I won't buy another pair for a good 2+ years. . .my Creative Lab speakers last me about 4+ years, so I was well over due!
__________________
PLAYON is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-30-2008, 03:55 PM   #9
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
 
asdflkijd's Avatar
 
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 5,503
iTrader: (14)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLAYON View Post
they thump, But the only reason I got them was because I won't buy another pair for a good 2+ years. . .my Creative Lab speakers last me about 4+ years, so I was well over due!
Since you have experience with both, would you recommend the Bose Companion II's or Creative's Gigawork T20's?
asdflkijd is offline   South Korea
0
Reply With Quote
      09-30-2008, 04:30 PM   #10
Prissy
Brigadier General
 
Prissy's Avatar
 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: nyc

Posts: 3,707
iTrader: (3)

any boss under $2000= garbage, I was gonna spent $300-$600 on a set of boss computer speakers but with that $$ you can just get a nice set of home theater speakers. My 3 picks was polk/jbl/harman kordan and I got the harman kordan: http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-...810090&sr=8-32
it's $305 with FREE shipping right now. The sound is just like logic 7 and better! forget about the computer speakers... they are worthless.. and forget boss, with that $$ you can have a much much better set up compared to boss.
note: I've also compared boss series with the HK.
Prissy is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      09-30-2008, 04:55 PM   #11
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
 
UltimateBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MP4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South

Posts: 3,287
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdflkijd View Post
do you mean the soundstick II's? they sound great but they look like hahhaha
Absolutely not. I hate thow the soundstick II's look. I think that is one of their current models. The ones I have came well before that.
__________________
UltimateBMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-30-2008, 04:57 PM   #12
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
 
UltimateBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MP4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South

Posts: 3,287
iTrader: (0)

These are my speakers.


Here is 2 links to poeple selling them. Rather cheap, but they are probably both old and used.

http://www.kpsurplus.com/products/view/3689
http://cgi.ebay.com/NICE-Harmon-Kard...QQcmdZViewItem
__________________
UltimateBMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST