BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
GT Haus
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-30-2008, 03:10 PM   #1
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
73
Rep
4,248
Posts

Drives: E70 X5
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NOR*CAL

iTrader: (2)

Can I lie about my current income on a job app?

looking to switch jobs soon. is it possible for me to "bump" up my current income a few grand or can they verify that somehow?
__________________
2010 E92 BSM 335i | M-Sport | ST Coils | Linea Corse Lemans | Cobb AP | BMS DCI | Cyba Tips
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 03:13 PM   #2
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
Hawkeye's Avatar
No_Country
46
Rep
3,596
Posts

Drives: '07 Z4 si Coupe, '08 R6
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Good question. If it is with a different company I bet you could get away with lying. But then again if they do check, a couple grand extra would be a really stupid reason to lose the jop opportunity.

Not worth it IMO.
__________________
2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe 6 MT Black Saphire Metallic PP SP Heated M Seats Clutch Stop Stubby
2008 R6 Raven Black GPR Steering Stabilizer Comp Werks FE Hotbodies Flush Mount Blinkers
2008 Nissan Titan XE King Cab Long Bed 4x4 Line-X
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 03:15 PM   #3
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Tondtar's Avatar
Vanuatu
200
Rep
884
Posts

Drives: His Mom Crazy
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: El Lay

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
It's a known fact that most people do. However, I would not do it more than a reasonable and expected raise amount. Another words, 10% or so is OK but doubling your current salary is not. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 03:16 PM   #4
aut0sh0cker
meh
aut0sh0cker's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
1,758
Posts

Drives: E92 335i, 997.2 C4S
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: 91362

iTrader: (2)

Yes. Yes you could. But as it was said, that would be a really stupid reason to miss out on a career opportunity...
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 03:17 PM   #5
bolinp78
G35 convertee
bolinp78's Avatar
26
Rep
1,007
Posts

Drives: 2008 335i (AW)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooken View Post
looking to switch jobs soon. is it possible for me to "bump" up my current income a few grand or can they verify that somehow?
Not anymore!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 03:18 PM   #6
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
73
Rep
4,248
Posts

Drives: E70 X5
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NOR*CAL

iTrader: (2)

i always thought this was confidential information between you and your employer, i guess not.
__________________
2010 E92 BSM 335i | M-Sport | ST Coils | Linea Corse Lemans | Cobb AP | BMS DCI | Cyba Tips
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 03:19 PM   #7
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
571
Rep
46,037
Posts

Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
no. u can always request the money you want. if caught ur hosed. not worth it
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 03:27 PM   #8
mithiral67
That guy
mithiral67's Avatar
72
Rep
5,729
Posts

Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
General rule, lying on a job app is grounds to firing you at any future date. Then again, most employment agreements are at will.

Then again, anyone caught lying in my line of work would be fired in a heart beat if they got caught lying about something like this.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 03:31 PM   #9
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
73
Rep
4,248
Posts

Drives: E70 X5
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NOR*CAL

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithiral67 View Post
General rule, lying on a job app is grounds to firing you at any future date. Then again, most employment agreements are at will.

Then again, anyone caught lying in my line of work would be fired in a heart beat if they got caught lying about something like this.
of course from a manager/owner standpoint. but as an employee, anyone would want more money. i just always thought this was confidential information. good to know that it's not.
__________________
2010 E92 BSM 335i | M-Sport | ST Coils | Linea Corse Lemans | Cobb AP | BMS DCI | Cyba Tips
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 04:03 PM   #10
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
99
Rep
7,919
Posts

Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington DC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.50]
We always ask for current salary. We generally have a range in mind when we list a job, but we look at current salary to help gauge what sort of offer to make to an applicant. If you lie, don't lie by too much. It won't benefit you.

If you're just trying to maximize your offer and you think your current salary is under market, tell the prospective employer: "I am underpaid at my current job. I know the market for this job should be in the range of X to Y." Do your research and ask what you really think the position is worth. For most companies, this is your ONE SHOT to get a good salary. Once you start, salary increases will be harder to come by. Start with a good base.

When you do get an offer from the employer, repeat it out loud, but don't give them any feedback (positive or negative). Tell them you will consider it at least overnight. This is key. Positive feedback, they'll assume you'll accept. Negative feedback, they may be offended. Be neutral. Inevitably, the employer will go to HR and try to get approval to make a better offer.

Employer: "Well, we're prepared to hire you at a salary of $130,000."
You: "$130,000."
(pause)
You: "Thank you. I will talk it over with my family and get back to you. Can I call you on Monday with my decision?"

In the interim, the employer will decide you are a very desirable candidate, try to figure out the best offer he can make to you, and will feel lucky to get you if you accept.

Best of luck.
__________________


330i | Black Sapphire | Beige + Burl | Sport | Premium | Cold | Nav | CA | Sat prep
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 04:41 PM   #11
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
Hawkeye's Avatar
No_Country
46
Rep
3,596
Posts

Drives: '07 Z4 si Coupe, '08 R6
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Good advise BK. I have friends that ask "Is that the best you can do?" and it seems to work out for them, but I have been doing just fine with the approach that you mentioned.
__________________
2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe 6 MT Black Saphire Metallic PP SP Heated M Seats Clutch Stop Stubby
2008 R6 Raven Black GPR Steering Stabilizer Comp Werks FE Hotbodies Flush Mount Blinkers
2008 Nissan Titan XE King Cab Long Bed 4x4 Line-X
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 04:44 PM   #12
achien
AC
Canada
30
Rep
2,378
Posts

Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

no advisable. all they have to do is do a background check, based on your SSN, on your tax return and they will find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooken View Post
looking to switch jobs soon. is it possible for me to "bump" up my current income a few grand or can they verify that somehow?
__________________
Your Supreme Leader
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 04:58 PM   #13
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
99
Rep
7,919
Posts

Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington DC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by achien View Post
no advisable. all they have to do is do a background check, based on your SSN, on your tax return and they will find out.
We don't pull tax returns of prospective employees. I imagine the only employers that can do so are in the intelligence community(!), and they do so with your consent.

Your SSN is provided for W-2 purposes, credit check, and criminal background check.
__________________


330i | Black Sapphire | Beige + Burl | Sport | Premium | Cold | Nav | CA | Sat prep

Last edited by BK; 09-30-2008 at 05:16 PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 05:18 PM   #14
Prissy
Brigadier General
Prissy's Avatar
Taiwan
189
Rep
4,337
Posts

Drives: F30
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NY

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [4.50]
2010 BMW E92  [5.00]
2015 BMW F30  [2.75]
well said BK!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 05:29 PM   #15
mpimping
Banned
South Korea
70
Rep
337
Posts

Drives: gti
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: ny,ny

iTrader: (0)

for a few grand no...
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 05:45 PM   #16
///Mandy
N54 <3
///Mandy's Avatar
44
Rep
1,559
Posts

Drives: E90 335xi
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Here.

iTrader: (1)

I was told that they don't, but obviously try to keep it within reason so it won't raise any questions to them....
__________________

E90 335xi|Nav pkg|Sport pkg|Dakota leather|Brushed aluminum trim|MTech kit
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 05:50 PM   #17
Doc
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
7
Rep
288
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 AW/Blk sunroof 19s
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Is it really worth losing a job over a few grand? you will get that salary in the near future so why bother? Honesty is still the best policy... I would rather do business with someone whose straight up front than a liar about even silly things
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 05:52 PM   #18
joec500
Brigadier General
48
Rep
3,004
Posts

Drives: it has 4 wheels
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (10)

I am a recruiter here in the silicon valley, and I strongly discourage lying about your current comp. Some companies, like symantec, run full background checks and when I used to recruit there, they would check the income through tax documents. Also if I find out my candidate lies, I see that as a red flag and unless the candidate is amazing, I end the process.

If anything, leave it blank, but DO NOT LIE.

my .02 cents
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 05:55 PM   #19
kevinbahnz
Captain
kevinbahnz's Avatar
57
Rep
691
Posts

Drives: 2008 335xi sedan
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ma-NC

iTrader: (1)

to answer your question, yes you can lie. you can lie about anything your heart desires. but if you get caught , just tell them everyone lies.
__________________
<img src=http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z164/kevinbahnz/08-23-2008030.jpg border=0 alt= />
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 06:01 PM   #20
joec500
Brigadier General
48
Rep
3,004
Posts

Drives: it has 4 wheels
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbahnz View Post
to answer your question, yes you can lie. you can lie about anything your heart desires. but if you get caught , just tell them everyone lies.
HA....That might work too!!! almost as good as, "I read it on the Internet, so it must be true"

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 06:11 PM   #21
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
73
Rep
4,248
Posts

Drives: E70 X5
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NOR*CAL

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK View Post
We always ask for current salary. We generally have a range in mind when we list a job, but we look at current salary to help gauge what sort of offer to make to an applicant. If you lie, don't lie by too much. It won't benefit you.

If you're just trying to maximize your offer and you think your current salary is under market, tell the prospective employer: "I am underpaid at my current job. I know the market for this job should be in the range of X to Y." Do your research and ask what you really think the position is worth. For most companies, this is your ONE SHOT to get a good salary. Once you start, salary increases will be harder to come by. Start with a good base.

When you do get an offer from the employer, repeat it out loud, but don't give them any feedback (positive or negative). Tell them you will consider it at least overnight. This is key. Positive feedback, they'll assume you'll accept. Negative feedback, they may be offended. Be neutral. Inevitably, the employer will go to HR and try to get approval to make a better offer.

Employer: "Well, we're prepared to hire you at a salary of $130,000."
You: "$130,000."
(pause)
You: "Thank you. I will talk it over with my family and get back to you. Can I call you on Monday with my decision?"

In the interim, the employer will decide you are a very desirable candidate, try to figure out the best offer he can make to you, and will feel lucky to get you if you accept.

Best of luck.


thanks for the info. great advice there. that's exactly why i asked the question. i know companies use the current salary to gauge what salary to offer so if the current salary is a little higher, the offer might go up a bit. it just raises the base offer up a bit. but i completely understand about not completely BS'ing it so that it sounds outrageous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec500 View Post
I am a recruiter here in the silicon valley, and I strongly discourage lying about your current comp. Some companies, like symantec, run full background checks and when I used to recruit there, they would check the income through tax documents. Also if I find out my candidate lies, I see that as a red flag and unless the candidate is amazing, I end the process.

If anything, leave it blank, but DO NOT LIE.

my .02 cents
i guess i shouldn't ask you to find me a job?

i thought background checks were just for criminal records only? no idea they would go as far as pulling tax documents.
__________________
2010 E92 BSM 335i | M-Sport | ST Coils | Linea Corse Lemans | Cobb AP | BMS DCI | Cyba Tips
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 06:19 PM   #22
kevinbahnz
Captain
kevinbahnz's Avatar
57
Rep
691
Posts

Drives: 2008 335xi sedan
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ma-NC

iTrader: (1)

I heard on the news that some companies even go to such lengths as checking out myspace and facebook.
__________________
<img src=http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z164/kevinbahnz/08-23-2008030.jpg border=0 alt= />
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:52 AM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST