BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

12-16-2014, 09:13 PM   #1
FFD Motorsport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: FFD Motorsport

Post Introducing New Wheels Coming 2015!

Hi all,

First off thanks for having us as a vendor here on M3Post. As a new vendor on here, allow me introduce myself and our business.

(Yes, I realize those are not BMWs but bear with me!)

My name is Austin and I run FFD Motorsport with my business partner Kalson. We started our business in 2013, initially from creating CAD drawings to eventually running a set of prototype wheels at various track events and on the street including a 7000km road trip. In 2014, we officially launched our website and our products went for up sale for the first time. Our target markets were the smaller sport compact cars such as the Miatas and Civics offering a 15x8 wheel in a 4x100 bolt pattern. In the picture above those are the two cars you'll see us at the Ridge Motorsports Park in

We had such a great success in our first year of business we were asked by many friends and customers to look into larger wheel option, hence the product Id like to introduce now: The FFD Motorsport EVO2

EVO2-002 by FFDMotorsport

The EVO2

The EVOLUTION:2 stands for everything bigger and better than our first wheel, named the EVO1. The highlights of the EVO2 are:
- High wheel stiffness
- Wide Fitment - 18x10 size geared for wide rubber for motorsports use
- Lightweight Target weight 20.5lbs
- Big brake kit and OEM brake fitment and clearance
- Proprietary Bead-Lock technology
- Flow Formed construction
- JWL/VIA Tested
These are some of the initial 3D renders of the wheels, to give you an ideal of what they would look like.

EVO2-003 by FFDMotorsport

EVO2-001 by FFDMotorsport

I also realize that these photos may not be anything new to those who follow us on Instagram or Facebook, but I want to bring attention to the design process for those that are interested. I believe in company transparency and I want our potential customers to be educated on the products and how they are made rather than giving them my biased opinion.

After 3D renderings were completed for the spoke and barrel design, we load a 3D model into our FEA (Finite Element Analysis) program to simulate loading conditions on the wheel. This gives us a good idea on how the wheels will hold up under impact (such as potholes or jumping curbs) as well as how the stress is distributed through the wheel.

Without getting into too much of the nitty gritty details, these were the results of our FEA simulation:

Radial Loading:

FEA 02 by FFDMotorsport

Face Loading:

FEA 04 by FFDMotorsport

Great, so a bunch of colourful pictures are posted - What does it all mean?

What to really take away from these photos is how evenly and equally the stress is distributed through the spokes. There are no stress risers which signal immediate attention and the spoke design transfers loads directly through to the hub creating a very stiff and strong design. The Red indicates the location of highest stress and the Blue essentially shows locations of no stress.

The side bars on the photos represent the ultimate stress seen in the wheels. Without going into a whole course on FEA Simulation, what happens is we basically compare this stress to the ultimate strength of the material we plan to use to determine a safety factor.

The load used under simulation in the FEA software is the same weight (thus force) used in the later JWL and VIA destructive tests.

Stay tuned for more updates!
      12-17-2014, 08:53 PM   #2
FFD Motorsport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: FFD Motorsport

I'd like to bring attention to the Bead Lock Technology that will be standard on all EVO2 products. I don't believe there are many wheel options with this type of technology, and I believe this will add a competitive edge to those seeking improved wheel technology.

Bead Lock Development by FFDMotorsport

Bead-Lock Technology

The Bead-Lock technology provides a means of keeping the bead of the tire seated firmly on the wheel. The serrated edge provides a mechanical friction advantage by biting into the rubber on the tire bead. In the past racers would resort to WD-40 or use of special tire lubes to reduce the chance of tire slippage, whereas the Bead-Lock technology provides a solution to the problem with no change to a regular tire mounting procedure.

You can see the ribs that would bite into the tire bead (in black) in the photo above. This was part of our preliminary tests to see if this technology would even work in practice.

One of the biggest complaints I have heard from drivers are in regards to high grip tires slipping on a wheel under hard braking. When a tire slips on a wheel, not only is there a loss in friction to the road but the tire and wheel assembly can become unbalanced. This can cause harsh vibrations and an end to a track weekend if there are no resources available to rebalance your wheels. At a smaller scale, there will always be some movement of the tire on the wheel since it is an elastic material. Another benefit to keeping the rubber located on the wheel is direct response of the tire through the forces translated through to the wheel. Without the ability to slip or move on the wheel, the tire will provide better driver feedback and will have more consistent characteristics whether under braking, turning, or acceleration.

Of course, this technology did not develop overnight and there were some failed attempts.

This was one of our earlier attempts at creating the ribs. You'll notice that the pattern isn't consistent and there is also a trace of the knurling tool kissing the material to the right of the ribs.

After a few months of testing different iterations we found a good balance between tool pressure, knurling edge and tool speed to create the ribs. You'll notice the ribs below are much more consistent and pronounced.

What do all the big boys running Hoosiers and Rcompounds think?
      12-19-2014, 08:26 PM   #3
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: AW 1M Coupe

Looks great. Would love to see the finished product.
Appreciate 0