BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Steve Thomas BMW

09-25-2008, 05:38 PM   #1
BIGNTASTIE
Lieutenant

Drives: white/red 08 M3, 05 Rangerover

horrible day =[

So I went in for my initial service today.. knew it was gonna take about 2 hours so I brought my school work.. got it done , 3 hours past nothing said. I walked up to my service agent.. she says "we got terrible news". to make it short, they drained out my DCT fluid and its not supposed to be drained out couldn't be replaced cuz they have to order it, I wont have it until Tuesday. I feel a horrible weekend approaching
      09-25-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
Kobaiyashi
First Lieutenant

Drives: 08 E90 M3 (JetBlack/FoxRedExt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGNTASTIE View Post
So I went in for my initial service today.. knew it was gonna take about 2 hours so I brought my school work.. got it done , 3 hours past nothing said. I walked up to my service agent.. she says "we got terrible news". to make it short, they drained out my DCT fluid and its not supposed to be drained out couldn't be replaced cuz they have to order it, I wont have it until Tuesday. I feel a horrible weekend approaching
That sucks man. On the bright side, at least they were upfront that they screwed up and can remedy the problem easily. Better that then to be told something was actually wrong with the car.

Noentheless, that sure is frustrating. I feel for ya!
Kobaiyashi is offline   United_States
      09-25-2008, 06:49 PM   #3
TLud
Colonel

Drives: '12 Golf R

That does really suck, but at least they figured it out instead of trying to replace it with the wrong fluid. Your weekend could have been a lot worse were your tranny to blow.

Did you at least get a loaner?
TLud is offline   United_States
      09-25-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
ideliver
Major

Drives: 08 E60 M5 & 08 Infiniti QX56

Garage List
2006 MB S430 SOLD  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
That does really suck, but at least they figured it out instead of trying to replace it with the wrong fluid. Your weekend could have been a lot worse were your tranny to blow.

Exactly....however...it completely boggles the mind that this nonsense keeps happening....

Stealerships FTMFL
Cars I've owned '76 Chevelle 350 RIP '82 Monte Carlo 350 RIP '82 Mustang 302 RIP '88 Honda CRX RIP '88 Olds Toronado sold '94 Toyota Tercel sold '99 Acura TL sold 2002 Porsche 911 sold 2003 E46 M3 Blk/gr 2006 MB S430 sold Current: 2008 Infiniti QX56 & 2008 E60 M5

09-25-2008, 08:00 PM   #5
rzm3

Drives: E92 M3

i feel ya bigntaste, during my initial service, the dealer told me they drained the oil from the engine but doesn't have enough new oil in stock. i bitched them out and they drove 4 hours round trip to another dealer for oil, and then delivered my car to my house.
      09-25-2008, 08:13 PM   #6
BIGNTASTIE
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post

Matter of fact i forgot to mention... they did replace it with a wrong fluid. now they are waiting until tuesdya to get the right fluid. i hope this doesnt damange the car. On the Bright note , yes i did get a loaner, its acutally a 335i 6MT. which is pretty cool but man this still sucks. anyway, does anyone have any advice on how i can negotiate to get something out of this problem cuz im really mad rite now?? lol thanks!!
      09-25-2008, 08:14 PM   #7
BIGNTASTIE
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
i feel ya bigntaste, during my initial service, the dealer told me they drained the oil from the engine but doesn't have enough new oil in stock. i bitched them out and they drove 4 hours round trip to another dealer for oil, and then delivered my car to my house.
Ouch. 4 hours round trip???? I dont even know where to start the bitching on that one. Man thats horrible... At least its all good now for you
      09-25-2008, 08:19 PM   #8
J08M3
Major General

Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

My only question is how is it still possible after how many months the car has be here to not know the correct 1,200 service procedure? Quite embarrassing for BMW I think... to have mechanics that don't know how to work on their own cars. How can you still have a job if you're that dumb?
      09-25-2008, 08:27 PM   #9
Ronin13
First Lieutenant

Drives: DKG E92 M3, S2K, JGC

Quote:
Matter of fact i forgot to mention... they did replace it with a wrong fluid. now they are waiting until tuesdya to get the right fluid. i hope this doesnt damange the car. On the Bright note , yes i did get a loaner, its acutally a 335i 6MT. which is pretty cool but man this still sucks. anyway, does anyone have any advice on how i can negotiate to get something out of this problem cuz im really mad rite now?? lol thanks!!
This could be sad news. I have not seen a single case where actually putting in the wrong fluid didn't result in a transmission swap. I think you should talk to your dealer again and BMWNA if necessary.
Ronin13 is offline   United_States
      09-25-2008, 09:13 PM   #10
BIGNTASTIE
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin13 View Post
This could be sad news. I have not seen a single case where actually putting in the wrong fluid didn't result in a transmission swap. I think you should talk to your dealer again and BMWNA if necessary.
How serious is it to put the wrong fluid ( scale from 1-10 would be perferred ). Im so mad right now, I can't even trust them at all now. What should I complain about to my dealer or BMWNA? I dont feel good driving this m3 anymore??? Thanks again for the advices guys, its greatly appreciated !
      09-25-2008, 09:27 PM   #11
Zed
Replicant

Drives: 2009 M3 E90 DCT

Quote:
How serious is it to put the wrong fluid ( scale from 1-10 would be perferred ). Im so mad right now, I can't even trust them at all now. What should I complain about to my dealer or BMWNA? I dont feel good driving this m3 anymore??? Thanks again for the advices guys, its greatly appreciated !
Unfortunately it seems to be along the lines of a 10.

It is going to cost the dealer a new tranny (over $10k), so they may dance around about it (not to mention the fact the news about NOT doing what they did has been out awhile). If they give you any lip, go straight to BMWNA. If you look around this board you will see others that had it happen as well, it's a royal mess. Hopefully BMWNA will treat you right and not give you hassle.

Sorry man, give em hell.
Zed is offline   United_States
      09-25-2008, 09:42 PM   #12
skierman64
Brigadier General

Drives: 2008 E92 Space Gray M3 & E36M3

Garage List
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to skierman64
You should be the proud owner of a new tranny if they installed the wrong fluid. That's what they have done to all the other cars that made the same mistake. Regardless of whether if was engine was started with the wrong fluid or not, you can't just open up the tranny to get the wrong stuff out. I doubt there's a way to flush that tranny of the wrong fluid.

Seriousness is a 10. That's why they've replaced entire transmissions of previous owners who have had the wrong fluid installed.

I gotta say when I took my car in for the service the transmission fluid was first and foremost on my mind. I even had to convince the service manager not to change my fluid, they didn't believe me. Did you not mention to them not to replace the fluid?????
      09-25-2008, 09:51 PM   #13
MysticBlue
Major

Drives: '09 M3 DCT Coupe

I would question EXACTLY what happened. Exactly how and when did they come to the conclussion they put the wrong fluid in; when they took it for the obligitory test drive? When they had to have it towed back to the dealer? If it was even started after the new (wrong) fluid was put it in I would demend a new transmission. There is absolutely no excuse for this to still be happening.
      09-25-2008, 09:59 PM   #14
BIGNTASTIE
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
I would question EXACTLY what happened. Exactly how and when did they come to the conclussion they put the wrong fluid in; when they took it for the obligitory test drive? When they had to have it towed back to the dealer? If it was even started after the new (wrong) fluid was put it in I would demend a new transmission. There is absolutely no excuse for this to still be happening.
I have no idea when they found out. They just told me they found out . So i should ask them if they replaced a new transmission??? How long would that usually take..? Thanks again
      09-25-2008, 10:04 PM   #15
ideliver
Major

Drives: 08 E60 M5 & 08 Infiniti QX56

Garage List
2006 MB S430 SOLD  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
this is un-effening believable....

some of us (myself included) were quick to question the GTR with things like "do you want your GTR worked on by some guy who has been working on Sentra's his whole career"...I think the answer to that question is "YES"
Cars I've owned '76 Chevelle 350 RIP '82 Monte Carlo 350 RIP '82 Mustang 302 RIP '88 Honda CRX RIP '88 Olds Toronado sold '94 Toyota Tercel sold '99 Acura TL sold 2002 Porsche 911 sold 2003 E46 M3 Blk/gr 2006 MB S430 sold Current: 2008 Infiniti QX56 & 2008 E60 M5

09-25-2008, 10:05 PM   #16
Jdebitjr
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Amazing this is still happening. BMWNA needs to send out service bulletins every day regarding this until this happens 0% of the time.
      09-25-2008, 10:07 PM   #17
PLAYON
Major

Drives: 2008 BMW 550i

Garage List
2008 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2003 Audi A4  [0.00]
Quote:
I let the BMWNA Customer Rep. on the forums know what happened, it's a considerable slip-up given the amount of time the M-DCT has been out. By now all dealers should be educated on the proper services needed for the M-DCT transmission. They'll probably get a hold of you shortly, they're usually pretty good at taking care of things like this
      09-25-2008, 10:10 PM   #18
BIGNTASTIE
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLAYON View Post
I let the BMWNA Customer Rep. on the forums know what happened, it's a considerable slip-up given the amount of time the M-DCT has been out. By now all dealers should be educated on the proper services needed for the M-DCT transmission. They'll probably get a hold of you shortly, they're usually pretty good at taking care of things like this
thanks a lot !!, siigh I should've searched more about the 1,200 intial service topics on this forum before i went in =(, i just didnt expect there to be any problems. stupid me =[
      09-25-2008, 10:37 PM   #19
MysticBlue
Major

Drives: '09 M3 DCT Coupe

Quote:
thanks a lot !!, siigh I should've searched more about the 1,200 intial service topics on this forum before i went in =(, i just didnt expect there to be any problems. stupid me =[
Don't blame yourself. A customer should not have to be expected to educate themselves to know more about the product than professionals who work on it. To have this happen after all the previous instances, that they should have learned from, is extremely disappointing. There is constant communications going on between dealers and BMWNA on a variety of subjects. They have their own network. Why this can't be communicated cleary to every SA in a timely manner is really beyond my comprehension.
      09-25-2008, 11:44 PM   #20
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2010 e91 328i

From past cases wrong fluid = new tranny. Do a search, few cases reported here and also on m3forum. Just drained, wait for new fluid.
      09-26-2008, 04:35 AM   #21
booforty
Major General

Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Its not the end of the world! But yes shame you don't have the car for the weekend. Surely they will give you a loaner? Ask for an M5 or M6!
booforty is offline   United Kingdom
      09-26-2008, 07:30 AM   #22
e46e92love
Brigadier General

Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Send a message via AIM to e46e92love
Quote:
Originally Posted by ideliver View Post
Exactly....however...it completely boggles the mind that this nonsense keeps happening....

Stealerships FTMFL
Seriously, what the hell is wrong with these places? If my dealer does that to mine when it comes in, forget it, moving on to another dealer, regardless of how may friends or how many years I have been going there. Just inexcusable at this point.

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
e46e92love is offline   United_States