BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Evolve Automotive

09-25-2008, 07:56 PM   #23
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners

Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
It is amusing how this woman has got the left so worried. Joe Biden makes incredibly stupid comments on a daily, if not hourly basis. Barack Obama can't piece together a coherent sentence without the benefit of a teleprompter...
Nobody is worried about Palin. Seriously. Nobody. Dems may have been at first, but not anymore.

Biden does make some funny statements I've enjoyed watching him say this, or that, and Oh! I'll contradict my running mate here, or there!

Obama is one of the most coherent speakers you'll find without a prompter. Those prompters are to keep you on track, which is somewhat of a good idea when you're running for President, which is why McCain started using them.
      09-25-2008, 07:58 PM   #24
ganeil
Colonel

Drives: 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post
You bet it is Incredible. Incredible that someone like you, presumably with a degree of some sort, many years of experience in a real world, a true American (you think that about yourself, don't you?) thinks that this incoherent Barbie was chosen by McCain campaign for her "accomplishments" in the great state of Alaska.

Give me a break. This is complete circus and GOP ticket is nothing more but two clowns on the loose.

EDIT: And it has NOTHING to do with left and right. This is about the future of the country we BOTH live in. Left, Right or Independent - she is as dumb as a rock

ANOTHER EDIT: And 70% approval in the state with more moose than people means nothing to me, just like poll results in the Democratic states mean nothing to you
You have watched (maybe) edited clips of a couple of interviews and you pronounce her dumb as a rock. The voters of Alaska, who know her, who approve of the job she is doing overwhelmingly, clearly disagree. The people she grew up with elected her to run their city and then re-elected her to do it again. They then elected her over an incumbent governor and then over another former governor to run their state. Has it occurred to you that they may have a bit more insight into her capabilities than you.

As for why McCain selected her, I would say that the most important characteristic to him was her independent streak. She has a history of successfully taking on the "good lo' boys" and that appeals to McCain.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
ganeil is offline   United_States
      09-25-2008, 08:04 PM   #25
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec 1 View Post
Nobody is worried about Palin. Seriously. Nobody. Dems may have been at first, but not anymore.
Actually I take this back. Republicans might be worried about her

Edit: Ganiel, Alaskans are their own special breed. I've spent enough time there to know that you don't have to know or do much to reach a high standing in that state. Nothing towards Alaskans, they're all pretty dang cool, but it's just the way it is.
      09-25-2008, 08:10 PM   #26
solefald
Nigerian Prince

Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Quote:
You have watched (maybe) edited clips of a couple of interviews and you pronounce her dumb as a rock
Ok, so then show me something about her that i have not seen, that will make me recognize her as a strong and successful woman Governor from the great state of Alaska, that will make me respect her, that will make me believe that regardless of her party affiliation and her religious believes this woman is worthy of the Vice Presidency of United States of America.
      09-25-2008, 08:16 PM   #27
ATG
Major

Drives: f30 328 xdrive, e90 335i gone

Garage List
Quote:
The voters of Alaska, who know her, who approve of the job she is doing overwhelmingly, clearly disagree.

As for why McCain selected her, I would say that the most important characteristic to him was her independent streak. She has a history of successfully taking on the "good lo' boys" and that appeals to McCain.

1. Voters of Alaska are not the voters of the entire US.

2. You have fallen into McCain's fairy tale.

Cinderella Man and his Cinderella Hockey Woman.
ATG is offline   Cuba
      09-25-2008, 08:18 PM   #28
ganeil
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post
Ok, so then show me something about her that i have not seen, that will make me recognize her as a strong and successful woman Governor from the great state of Alaska, that will make me respect her, that will make me believe that regardless of her party affiliation and her religious believes this woman is worthy of the Vice Presidency of United States of America.
How about you just look at what she has accomplished?

Consider why the people she grew up with trusted her enough to re-elect her to run their city.

Consider how difficult it is to take on and defeat the entrenched power structure of your state, not once but twice. What kind of person it takes to see the leader of your own party acting unethically and publicly call him on it. Stand up to him and have him step down.

If the "One" had done anything remotely similar in the cesspool that is Chicago politics, that would be hailed as his singular accomplishment that brought him to the White House.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
      09-25-2008, 08:18 PM   #29
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners

I don't know if this is inclusive on that video, but look at the wording frm her interview i just found:

Quote:
In only her third nationally televised interview since she was nominated earlier this month — this one on CBS with anchor Katie Couric — Palin was asked what she meant.

“That Alaska has a very narrow maritime border between a foreign country, Russia, and on our other side, the land — boundary that we have with — Canada. It– it’s funny that a comment like that was — kind of made to — I don’t know, you know? Reporters,” Palin said, explaining that she had been mocked.

Asked to explain why living near Russia enhances her foreign policy credentials, Palin responded: “Well, it certainly does because our — our next-door neighbors are foreign countries. They’re in the state that I am the executive of.”
Are you joking me?
      09-25-2008, 08:24 PM   #30
solefald
Nigerian Prince

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
^ this is exactly what im talking about!

here is the full transcript

Quote:

Katie Couric - Thank you for being here, Governor Palin.

Sarah Palin - I'm all about being here.

Katie Couric - Are you and John McCain in favor of this $700 billion bailout?

Sarah Palin - I'm totally in favor of supporting the troops. My son is a troop.

Katie Couric - Right. But I'm asking about the bailout proposal for Wall Street.

Sarah Palin - You sure are. You betcha.

Katie Couric - So are you in favor of it?

Sarah Palin - Reform needs to be in the Wall Street. Not just sittin' on the curb of Wall Street. We need it in the middle of the street. Like a dead squirrel.

Katie Couric - Can we afford to give tax breaks to the wealthiest Americans right now?

Sarah Palin - Well, what do you mean by tax breaks? Like on a car? Those kinds of breaks?

Katie Couric - Less taxes.

Sarah Palin - You know, I'm really into the Bush doctrine. I'm like, supporting it.

Katie Couric - In the event that something were to happen to John McCain, are you ready to step in and be president?

Sarah Palin - I have the steadiness to be steady. I'm getting in there and really doing it. Not just not doing it. I'm not going to be like 'hey, presidency, talk to the hand.'

Katie Couric - But are you ready to become the leader of the free world?

Sarah Palin - Totally. I will totally lead the world. Any world. I will lead Mars or whatever too if those guys need a world president. Or just a Mars president. I took on the ole' boys club in Alaska and I can take it on in Mars.

Katie Couric - But I'm not asking about being president of Mars.

Sarah Palin - But I am answering about being president of Mars because a president person needs to be prepared for anything. I like to reform.

Katie Couric - I understand you only just got a passport last year.

Sarah Palin - You know, I was in Idaho for my friend Amber's wedding a ways back. Lemme tell you, Katie. We American taxpayers have a lot more in common with other countries than we think. There were Budweiser beers cans at that Idaho wedding. And Hot Pockets too. Those pizza flavored ones. Yummy.

Katie Couric - Wait, are you saying that Idaho is another country?

Sarah Palin - I'm saying they have Hot Pockets just like us. Pizza ones even. It's called 'the globalization.'

Katie Couric - But let me get this straight because I think it's important. Is Idaho another country?

Sarah Palin - You know, I'm not going to get into that right now. I think American men and women and men are focused on solutions. Not what's a country or what's not a country. Some places aren't countries. They're just things. And that's ok. Do you know the difference between a country and a thing?

Katie Couric - I'm not sure I do.

Sarah Palin - Hot Pockets.

Katie Couric - And finally, where will you and John McCain take this country?

Sarah Palin - We are going to take it somewhere really nice. A nice place where all American taxpayer people will totally be like 'hey, hello, this is really nice.'" And then we'll take it from that really nice place and over to a nicer place, a super duper nice one. More super duper nice than my cousin Marge even. And the American taxpayer people will be like 'hey, this is a super duper nice place. More than Marge even.'" Reform.

Katie Couric - Thank you, Governor.
      09-25-2008, 09:01 PM   #31
E82tt6
Colonel

Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
It is amusing how this woman has got the left so worried. Joe Biden makes incredibly stupid comments on a daily, if not hourly basis. Barack Obama can't piece together a coherent sentence without the benefit of a teleprompter and is unsure to this day if the Surge succeeded or not but Sarah Palin who is well known in the state she governs and has a 70+% approval rating is somehow less than competent.

Incredible.
Man, those are SOME blinders you're wearing... Are you serious?

You're right. Obama is universally recognized as a TERRIBLE speaker. That's exactly the angle you should use to attack him. And Joe Biden regularly gives interviews like this, you're absolutely right!

Are we living on the same planet? I'm not trying to be a smartass, you just sound like you're in denial!
      09-25-2008, 09:09 PM   #32
ganeil
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82tt6 View Post
Man, those are SOME blinders you're wearing... Are you serious?

You're right. Obama is universally recognized as a TERRIBLE speaker. That's exactly the angle you should use to attack him. And Joe Biden regularly gives interviews like this, you're absolutely right!

Are we living on the same planet? I'm not trying to be a smartass, you just sound like you're in denial!
Obama is universally recognized as a speech maker. He reads a speech as well as anyone. What he is weak at is speaking extemporaneously.

Joe Biden is comfortable with the press. What he is not comfortable with is the truth.

I am not in denial. I judge candidates for public office not on how well the do on Meet the Press or with perky Katie but on what they have accomplished. By that standard, Palin far exceeds Obama.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
      09-25-2008, 09:33 PM   #33
E82tt6
Colonel

Quote:
Obama is universally recognized as a speech maker. He reads a speech as well as anyone. What he is weak at is speaking extemporaneously.

Joe Biden is comfortable with the press. What he is not comfortable with is the truth.

I am not in denial. I judge candidates for public office not on how well the do on Meet the Press or with perky Katie but on what they have accomplished. By that standard, Palin far exceeds Obama.
I'm not sure why you think Obama is weak when it comes to speaking when he doesn't have a spach infront of him. Where are you getting that from? I've talked to the guy in person, and he certainly doesn't come off as bumbling, clueless, dissmissive, or just about anything else that politicians tend to suffer from.

Yep, you're right, Miss Bridge-to-Nowhere, mayor of 5,000 people, governor of Alaska, who is currently under investigation for an ethics breach with which she refuses to cooperate, has ties to big oil, has never left the country before last year, and who McCain will not expose to the public, press, or debate for fear of her stupidity being revealed on a larger scale is CLEARLY much more accomplished than Obama. Why, what did he ever do? He's just a no-name empty suit who only won the election because he's a member of a severely disadvantaged minority group, and has a name that makes people think he belongs to a religion that most Americans are negatively prejudiced against! Why, he only ever made it to be the President of the Harvard Law Review, and a best selling author despite being born a Black man with a muslim name to a poor mother, and having to rely on ability and grit alone, and made major reforms the the Death Penalty in Illinois, or brought insurance to some 150,000+ uninsured in Illinois, or anything else one wants to list from the over 800 bills that he sponsored in the Illinois state sentate... I really don't think I need to list every piece of legislation he signed onto. On the Federal level, you're talking about more than 400 bills IN THIS SESSION. Republicans who criticize Obama for being "all talk" should really take a look at how many bills McCain sponsored... less than a third that number in this session.

Quite frankly, he's a brilliant man who beat the odds and climbed to the top, had the opportunity to make untold millions working for any law firm he wanted in the country, and instead chose to devote himself to public service. He's a great American story, and it's kinda silly to hear the way a lot of partisan Republicans talk about him. This guy IS the American dream. A story doesn't get much more inspirational than his, which is probably why his books have sold so well. To compare Palin to him is frankly laughable.

But back to the original topic: Did Palin's performance in her interview make you feel warm and fuzzy? Did it make you feel assured of her competence, intelligence, and ability to get the job done? Did she display a wealth of knowledge and depth of understanding about the relatively simple subjects she was asked about? Or did she just try (and largely fail) to recite reherssed answers that weren't even always totally relevant to the question asked, stumble and fall regularly, and display utter ignorance on just about every subjected she was quized on?
      09-25-2008, 09:41 PM   #34
TMNT
Captain

Drives: 330ci ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec 1 View Post
I don't know if this is inclusive on that video, but look at the wording frm her interview i just found:

Are you joking me?
She talks like Miss South Carolina
      09-25-2008, 09:55 PM   #35
ideliver
Major

Drives: 08 E60 M5 & 08 Infiniti QX56

Garage List
2006 MB S430 SOLD  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
that transcript does NOT read well at all...wow....TOTALLY...is she for real???

I confess that by upbringing and early adult experience experience I tended to be on the left on some issues...however...as I have aged and have been completely abused by our tax code (it was really painful under Clinton)...seen some relief with Bush....(really glad that Gore didn't get in 'cause he turned out to be more of a nutjob than was suspected)...I really can't stomach that tax increases that Obama has promised...further his HUGE government approach to every problem seems un-american....

that being said...Sen. McCain is out of his effing mind....WTF is he doing this week....sooooooo disappointing....

I pay enough taxes...if Obama wins...another 50 K in taxes will push me over the edge...

Someone needs to tell McCain to MAN THE FUCK UP and run a repectable campaign...your wigging out is proving all of the conventional wisdom about you...

I just wish we could go back to 2nd grade...and get a do-over on this
Cars I've owned '76 Chevelle 350 RIP '82 Monte Carlo 350 RIP '82 Mustang 302 RIP '88 Honda CRX RIP '88 Olds Toronado sold '94 Toyota Tercel sold '99 Acura TL sold 2002 Porsche 911 sold 2003 E46 M3 Blk/gr 2006 MB S430 sold Current: 2008 Infiniti QX56 & 2008 E60 M5

09-25-2008, 10:09 PM   #36
scottwww
Brigadier General

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by ideliver View Post
that transcript does NOT read well at all...wow....TOTALLY...is she for real???
That "transcript" was Solefald's idea of a joke.
scottwww is offline   United_States
      09-25-2008, 10:14 PM   #37
ideliver
Major

Drives: 08 E60 M5 & 08 Infiniti QX56

Garage List
2006 MB S430 SOLD  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
i'm an even bigger idiot...thanks for the headsup...i stopped reading half-way and had to stop...color me red
Cars I've owned '76 Chevelle 350 RIP '82 Monte Carlo 350 RIP '82 Mustang 302 RIP '88 Honda CRX RIP '88 Olds Toronado sold '94 Toyota Tercel sold '99 Acura TL sold 2002 Porsche 911 sold 2003 E46 M3 Blk/gr 2006 MB S430 sold Current: 2008 Infiniti QX56 & 2008 E60 M5

09-25-2008, 10:19 PM   #38
solefald
Nigerian Prince

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
That "transcript" was Solefald's idea of a joke.
Actually its from here:

http://open.salon.com/content.php?cid=22276
      09-25-2008, 10:27 PM   #39
LaithAzim
Scorpion King

Drives: 06 330i TiAg Sport

Send a message via AIM to LaithAzim
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndon_h View Post
I know its not her fault, but i can't stand her voice. Its very annoying. Am i being overly critical because i'm a democrat, or do some of you feel this way also?
Her voice is very annoying.

I think she was selected to win over Hillary Clinton's voters, but also because she is conservative.

If anything I feel sorry for her, seems like McCain and staff should prepare her better for interviews and debates.

06 330i|Step|TiAg|Black Leather|Burl|Sports|Premium|Cold|Sirius

Last edited by LaithAzim; 09-25-2008 at 10:38 PM. Reason: more thoughts to add
LaithAzim is offline   United_States
      09-25-2008, 10:30 PM   #40
e90im
Brigadier General

Drives: f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKsBimmer View Post
Palin and Couric: How'd she do? You be the judge

Can you say: OUTCLASSED!!!!

She is a fart away from potential presidency of US... C'mon people...She is more incompetent than Dub...I thought I'd never say that...

f30 e92 tt S5 e92 350z e90
e90im is offline   United_States
      09-25-2008, 10:34 PM   #41
e90im
Brigadier General

Can't wait for SSNL spinoff...Tina Fay FTMFW!!!*

*I thought I'd never say that...oh well such is life.

09-25-2008, 10:37 PM   #42
e90im
Brigadier General

Quote:

WE'RE NOT talking about OBAMA or BIDEN here, this is Sarah Palin interview. Care to comment, you indoctrinated cold war era, GOP Carl Rove fear monger?

You know I kid you dear friend....

09-25-2008, 11:10 PM   #43
scottwww
Brigadier General

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90im View Post
Can you say: OUTCLASSED!!!!

She is a fart away from potential presidency of US... C'mon people...She is more incompetent than Dub...I thought I'd never say that...
It plays better the second time. Do you have more of the interview? Or was this all of it?
scottwww is offline   United_States
      09-25-2008, 11:14 PM   #44
E82tt6
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideliver View Post
i'm an even bigger idiot...thanks for the headsup...i stopped reading half-way and had to stop...color me red
I'll look around for the real one. It want much better.