BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-23-2008, 01:23 PM   #1
Kobaiyashi
First Lieutenant
United_States
7
Rep
313
Posts

Drives: 08 E90 M3 (JetBlack/FoxRedExt)
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: East Bay, CA

iTrader: (0)

Pulling the Trigger Today; Advice?

Hey All,

So after spending almost a year and a half on this forum.... and many many more years dreaming of getting a new car, the day has finally arrived. This evening I'll be heading over to Sterling BMW in Newport Beach and picking up my e90/6MT M3!

Man am I nervous.

This will be my first M car, my first non-Toyota/Honda, my first new car, and my first stick shift, all wrapped up in one. I used the knowledge gained through this forum to get the car at invoice with virtually no negotiation (thanks soo much all, I hate haggling!). Of course, I made sure that I got the M floor mats and a stick shift lesson so that I'll only stall the car every other stop light

Anyway, my question for you all. As I get ready to make the purchase, are there any tips you have for me? I know I should check the car meticulously and ask for the ipod cable, but anything else to consider before I head out of the dealership?

Thanks.

Peter

P.S. Yes, this thread is worthless without pics. I'll post some when I get the chance
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 01:36 PM   #2
Sedan_Clan
California Highway Patrolling
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
178
Rep
11,131
Posts

Drives: '15 M4 (lots-of-M's, RRS, X5)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (25)

Congrats bro!

What options did your E90 come with?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 01:46 PM   #3
rje
RJE 335xi E90 Monaco Blue/Lemon, MB C350 White/Blk
rje's Avatar
Philippines
4
Rep
147
Posts

Drives: 07-335xi E90, 07 MDX,11 C350-4
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Calgary, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Bring a camera, for souvenir pictures and most importantly for taking pictures of flaws, dings, problems on the surface of the car as evidence to show that they happened before you took over the car, this is of course if there are....... Makes it easier for you to prove it's a dealership's responsiblity to make them go back to it' original state.

Other than that smile and have fun.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 01:47 PM   #4
sinnet112
Major
United_States
16
Rep
1,119
Posts

Drives: 2009 E89 Z4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NJ

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Don't know how meticulous you are with the paint or if you like to detail your own cars, but new car preparation is a whole lot of fun and it's also important as well.

Most dealerships like to wash their cars before they give it to you and it ends up coming with a ton of swirlmarks. If I were you, I'd tell them to not wash it and just take the tape off and you do the new car prep yourself to make it nice and shiny. Just my thoughts.

Enjoy the car!
__________________


Z4 sdrive30i | Deep Sea Blue | Ivory White Nappa Extended Leather | ZSP
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 01:52 PM   #5
BothMyE92M3sBroke
Brigadier General
United_States
67
Rep
3,880
Posts

Drives: Cars that don't blow up.
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: A world without BMW.

iTrader: (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobaiyashi View Post
This will be my first M car, my first non-Toyota/Honda, my first new car, and my first stick shift, all wrapped up in one.
Sounds just like me! Except I had driven a stickshift honda previously. Having been out of a stickshift for 3 years, then jumping into that car was a nervewrecking experience.

Yea, I have just one piece of advice. In the top-left side of your front windshield, there should be a service advice sticker. The dealership cleverly took mine off before giving me my car, so I didn't even know about its existence until I met two other M3 owners at a meet. On it is information about a 1,200 mile break-in service, and another 3,500 mile break-in service. Just make sure you have it. My dealer is telling me now that there is no such 3,500 mile service, so I'm sure it would be nice to have that sticker in place.

Anyone want to give me a picture of theirs? I'd like to take a photo in to the dealer to argue my case, lol.

Then again, I did see these stickers at 9:00 at night, and I couldn't read them, so maybe I'm just plain crazy. But the others told me there is definately a second 3,000+ service to do.

Just make sure you get the sticker.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 01:52 PM   #6
Kobaiyashi
First Lieutenant
United_States
7
Rep
313
Posts

Drives: 08 E90 M3 (JetBlack/FoxRedExt)
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: East Bay, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Congrats bro!

What options did your E90 come with?
Came with a whole bunch... most of which I don't really care about but I'm sure I'll enjoy.

Premium package
Extended leather (red fox)
Tech package (I watend EDC)
Moonroof
IPOD
Folding rear seats (stunned that this is an "option" on a BMW...)
Sat radio
19" wheels
Enhanced sound
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 01:55 PM   #7
Reedomn
Major
Reedomn's Avatar
United_States
45
Rep
1,058
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Minneapolis

iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobaiyashi View Post
Came with a whole bunch... most of which I don't really care about but I'm sure I'll enjoy.

Premium package
Extended leather (red fox)
Tech package (I watend EDC)
Moonroof
IPOD
Folding rear seats (stunned that this is an "option" on a BMW...)
Sat radio
19" wheels
Enhanced sound
I am guessing Jet Black???
__________________
VO 1M
Sold- 2008 JZB/Fox E90 M3 6MT Launch car
Sold- 2004 Audi S4..Sold- 1997 Estoril e36 M3
Sold -1991 Black e34 M5..Sold-1995 Black e36 M3
Sadly Sold- Henna Red e30 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 02:00 PM   #8
Kobaiyashi
First Lieutenant
United_States
7
Rep
313
Posts

Drives: 08 E90 M3 (JetBlack/FoxRedExt)
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: East Bay, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedomn View Post
I am guessing Jet Black???
Yup. I wanted Jerez (gorgeous color) but the only one's I could find with extended red and EDC in California did not have fold down rear steats. I'm getting the sedan in part for practicality... folding seats is pretty imporant as a result.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 02:04 PM   #9
Kobaiyashi
First Lieutenant
United_States
7
Rep
313
Posts

Drives: 08 E90 M3 (JetBlack/FoxRedExt)
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: East Bay, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnet112 View Post
Don't know how meticulous you are with the paint or if you like to detail your own cars, but new car preparation is a whole lot of fun and it's also important as well.

Most dealerships like to wash their cars before they give it to you and it ends up coming with a ton of swirlmarks. If I were you, I'd tell them to not wash it and just take the tape off and you do the new car prep yourself to make it nice and shiny. Just my thoughts.

Enjoy the car!
Bummer, I remember reading about this but it just slipped my mind. Just called and they are finishing detailing it right now. Oh well, hope it'll be nice!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 02:06 PM   #10
Reedomn
Major
Reedomn's Avatar
United_States
45
Rep
1,058
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Minneapolis

iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobaiyashi View Post
Yup. I wanted Jerez (gorgeous color) but the only one's I could find with extended red and EDC in California did not have fold down rear steats. I'm getting the sedan in part for practicality... folding seats is pretty imporant as a result.
Congrats!!...I didn't think I wanted or needed many of the options that came with mine but now looking back I would have been pretty bummed without them!! You gotta find a track after the break-in period as I did last weekend, it's the only way to really experience such an awesome car!!
__________________
VO 1M
Sold- 2008 JZB/Fox E90 M3 6MT Launch car
Sold- 2004 Audi S4..Sold- 1997 Estoril e36 M3
Sold -1991 Black e34 M5..Sold-1995 Black e36 M3
Sadly Sold- Henna Red e30 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 02:07 PM   #11
Kadarin
Ambassador of Crunk
United_States
7
Rep
606
Posts

Drives: SG/blk '08 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Jose, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkim88 View Post
Yea, I have just one piece of advice. In the top-left side of your front windshield, there should be a service advice sticker. The dealership cleverly took mine off before giving me my car, so I didn't even know about its existence until I met two other M3 owners at a meet. On it is information about a 1,200 mile break-in service, and another 3,500 mile break-in service. Just make sure you have it. My dealer is telling me now that there is no such 3,500 mile service, so I'm sure it would be nice to have that sticker in place.
I've long since pulled mine off, but from what I recall it didn't mention anything about a 3500 mile service. What it did mention was how the car should be driven prior to 1200 miles, and between 1200 and 3500.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 02:24 PM   #12
MysticBlue
Major
35
Rep
1,382
Posts

Drives: '09 M3 DCT Coupe, ---'15 x50i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Eastern Oregon... They call 'em rigs here

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadarin View Post
I've long since pulled mine off, but from what I recall it didn't mention anything about a 3500 mile service. What it did mention was how the car should be driven prior to 1200 miles, and between 1200 and 3500.
Correct. Sevice at 1200. No service at 3500, just break in instructions on how to drive it up to 3500 miles.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 02:36 PM   #13
BothMyE92M3sBroke
Brigadier General
United_States
67
Rep
3,880
Posts

Drives: Cars that don't blow up.
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: A world without BMW.

iTrader: (27)

Oh, right then. My mistake. Guess I better be more careful with my second hand information.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 03:50 PM   #14
ersin
Brigadier General
ersin's Avatar
United_States
50
Rep
4,099
Posts

Drives: 08 IB E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (1)

Congratulations! You'll need a team of plastic surgeons to remove the smile from your face. Always remember, the M3 is best savored by driving it. Don't let it become a garage queen.
__________________

I've been assimilated. 6MT/ZPP/18"/PS extended.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 03:54 PM   #15
booforty
Major General
booforty's Avatar
United Kingdom
135
Rep
8,812
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London, UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Enjoy the experience. Its not everyday you go to pick up an M
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 04:14 PM   #16
Perpetrator
Lieutenant
Perpetrator's Avatar
South Korea
6
Rep
407
Posts

Drives: E90 330i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fullerton, CA

iTrader: (4)

Congrats on the new ride!

Just make sure to inspect the car thoroughly. Other than the obvious, here are some little things to remember...

- Make sure to get the mini BMW flashlight in the glovebox
- Make sure all the tools are in the toolkit, but it'll look like one tool is missing (I believe US spec cars had one missing)
- Call over there and make sure they don't drill in the front license plate mount onto the bumper. If they haven't yet, then the front mount should be under your trunk mat. (might as well check for the M mobility kit while you're in there)
- If you're lazy like me, then have them pare your phone to the car for you, altho it's pretty simple.
- your manuals and stuff will come in a leather booklet, but there should be a 2nd smaller leather booklet in the trunk.

Last but not least, remember that an M can't be zipped around like a little honda or toyota...you need to be aware of the power you're putting to the wheels. Also, be aware that a RWD car drives differently than FWD...keep your car's ass in check.

Other than that, enjoy the M.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 05:53 PM   #17
Kobaiyashi
First Lieutenant
United_States
7
Rep
313
Posts

Drives: 08 E90 M3 (JetBlack/FoxRedExt)
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: East Bay, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpetrator View Post
Congrats on the new ride!

Just make sure to inspect the car thoroughly. Other than the obvious, here are some little things to remember...

- Make sure to get the mini BMW flashlight in the glovebox
- Make sure all the tools are in the toolkit, but it'll look like one tool is missing (I believe US spec cars had one missing)
- Call over there and make sure they don't drill in the front license plate mount onto the bumper. If they haven't yet, then the front mount should be under your trunk mat. (might as well check for the M mobility kit while you're in there)
- If you're lazy like me, then have them pare your phone to the car for you, altho it's pretty simple.
- your manuals and stuff will come in a leather booklet, but there should be a 2nd smaller leather booklet in the trunk.

Last but not least, remember that an M can't be zipped around like a little honda or toyota...you need to be aware of the power you're putting to the wheels. Also, be aware that a RWD car drives differently than FWD...keep your car's ass in check.

Other than that, enjoy the M.
Great advice. I've printed out your checklist and will def. make sure everything's there.

As to the driving charcteristics... I'm going to take it easy with this car for a while to get adjusted the power, the stick-shift transmission, and RWD. Then I'm def. going to start going to the track. Seriously can't wait.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 06:39 PM   #18
Rick
Stackin' Chips
Rick's Avatar
No_Country
26
Rep
607
Posts

Drives: 2008 AW M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Santa Monica, CA

iTrader: (2)

congrats.. get some free oil and the oil bottle holder thing.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 01:16 AM   #19
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
UltimateBMW's Avatar
119
Rep
3,287
Posts

Drives: MP4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South

iTrader: (0)

Very good thread. Bookmarking for the future!

Maybe even as far as to suggest a sticky?

DON'T FORGET TO HAVE FUN!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 02:00 AM   #20
Kobaiyashi
First Lieutenant
United_States
7
Rep
313
Posts

Drives: 08 E90 M3 (JetBlack/FoxRedExt)
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: East Bay, CA

iTrader: (0)

just awesom

So,

Everything went pretty smoothly with the purchase and thanks to Perpetrator, I made sure I got a BMW flashlight for the glove compartment. Thanks to everyone else for their help as well as I had a nice long list of things to make sure I got.

The car is quite amazing. Funny thing is that as I've been reading the forums, I've noticed a lot of people talking about how it was so painful to keep the revs low during break in... but I never appreciated how hard that was/is until tonight. It just loves to rev, and does it so quickly!

Though my my left leg is already a bit sore from today, I'm really happy (so far) that I got the 6MT. That was by far my biggest apprehension given that I've never really driven stick before but I've only stalled it 3 times so far (much better than I was expecting). It's actually amazingly easy to drive.

Not sure if I can wait for the weekend, I might have to take tomorrow off

Peter
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 02:16 AM   #21
lvwirelessguy
Captain
United_States
15
Rep
955
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2012 Golf TDI
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: 702

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2005 M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to lvwirelessguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobaiyashi View Post
So,

Everything went pretty smoothly with the purchase and thanks to Perpetrator, I made sure I got a BMW flashlight for the glove compartment. Thanks to everyone else for their help as well as I had a nice long list of things to make sure I got.

The car is quite amazing. Funny thing is that as I've been reading the forums, I've noticed a lot of people talking about how it was so painful to keep the revs low during break in... but I never appreciated how hard that was/is until tonight. It just loves to rev, and does it so quickly!

Though my my left leg is already a bit sore from today, I'm really happy (so far) that I got the 6MT. That was by far my biggest apprehension given that I've never really driven stick before but I've only stalled it 3 times so far (much better than I was expecting). It's actually amazingly easy to drive.

Not sure if I can wait for the weekend, I might have to take tomorrow off

Peter

Make sure to learn about heel / toe downshifting
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 04:12 AM   #22
jamesisel
Major
jamesisel's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
1,035
Posts

Drives: '09 Jerez/Fox Red E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wisconsin/ Tennessee

iTrader: (0)

Awewsome thread. I will be referring back to this when I pick up my 1st M3 in MAY. MAN>>>IT'S GONNA BE A LOOOOOONG WAIT!!
__________________
Eisenmann Race Performance/VRS front lip 1x1/VRS type II diffuser 1x1/VRS single side trunk with Fade/19" HRE C90's/RE SSK/H&R Sport springs /35% tint/Painted reflectors/Painted side markers with dark tint LED's/Tinted tail lights/Front grilles/Hardwire V1
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:19 AM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST