BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-16-2008, 01:18 PM   #23
EOE90
Colonel
 
EOE90's Avatar
 
Drives: AW Power
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Laker City

Posts: 2,426
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to EOE90
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithiral67 View Post
Never been a fan of a diet that says "you cant eat this, ever, even in moderation" Life's to short.
..... then why are you trying to lose weight, go smoke meth, in excess
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschy View Post
you cannot buy a M3 for a commuter. it is only to be used on the tract. It drives horrible on the freeway, and is very uncomfortable for any longer then 20 minutes.
EOE90 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2008, 01:21 PM   #24
EOE90
Colonel
 
EOE90's Avatar
 
Drives: AW Power
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Laker City

Posts: 2,426
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to EOE90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGirl07 View Post
thats not realistic for someone who enjoys having nice dinners out, etc... its all about moderation- not deprivation
i eat lavishly haha, no one even notices im a breadnazi, sushi is fine, you can eat lo carb yogurt which is like at most 8 carbs, eat tons of steak, chicken, fish, and most of all salads. Please dont try to bash this, i really dont think anyone has made such a drastic change in there lives, and if youd like to this is what i recommend. My trainer was 300 pounds, heavy weightlifted, got down to 180 this way, i chose to do the same, from 6,0' 250 lbs to 181 lbs. JUST SAYING haha
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschy View Post
you cannot buy a M3 for a commuter. it is only to be used on the tract. It drives horrible on the freeway, and is very uncomfortable for any longer then 20 minutes.
EOE90 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2008, 01:53 PM   #25
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
 
UltimateBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MP4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South

Posts: 3,287
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOE90 View Post
YOU GUYS

heres the secret to massive weightloss, ive lost 70 pounds in 7 months:
dont eat bread, rice, noodles, pasta/anything with carbs, its hard but if you turn it into a lifestyle it isnt hard. No more juice, sweets or bad carbs. Try to go running or get yourself sweating everyday. I know this seems farfetched but if your willing to take hundreds of pills you may just wanna save some money and be happy...
There is already a diet following this plan. It's called Atkins. And in excess can cause serous health problems. As said above moderation is the key. Maybe at the start you should totally cut out carbs, then later on you can add them back in. But then this would fall into the diet category. If you totally cut out carbs of any kind forever, that leaves you with eating salad and meat. Thats about it. You can drink water and coke zero (no juice, milk, beer...) You can't even eat fruit. So that is already taking out 3 primary food groups. Dairy, Bread, and Fruit.

How long have you been on this diet? Because thats what it is, you can't live for a prolonged period of time with that type of food intake unless your taking some serious supplements.
__________________
UltimateBMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2008, 01:55 PM   #26
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
 
UltimateBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MP4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South

Posts: 3,287
iTrader: (0)

Here is a little excerpt explained the tip of the iceber of prolonged Atkins dieting.


http://www.atkinsexposed.org/atkins/..._Dangerous.htm
Quote:
Atkins Diet 'Dangerous'

August 13, 2003
Daily Mail (London)
by Jenny Hope

THE hugely-popular Atkins Diet is medically unsound and a major health risk, nutrition experts warned yesterday.

They said the high-protein high-fat diet, followed by stars such as Catherine Zeta-Jones and Geri Halliwell, was a giant experiment which could have disastrous effects for millions.

Dr Susan Jebb of the Government-funded Medical Research Council said it would be 'negligent' to recommend it for long-term use and called for research into its safety.

She dismissed the theory behind the diet, that it changes the body's chemistry to burn off fat, as 'pseudo-science'. Adverse effects could include kidney damage and bone loss.

The alert comes from one of the country's leading experts on obesity. Dr Jebb is head of nutrition and health research at the MRC's Human Nutrition Research Centre in Cambridge.

She was speaking at a special summit held in London to warn of the dangers that crash dieting poses to the nation's health.

Dr Jebb said the Atkins Diet was the least healthy of a number of trendy 'faddy diets' followed by people desperate to lose pounds in a hurry. She said: 'Fad diets prey on the overweight, offering quick fixes and psychological tricks. I see no medical benefit at all in them, and in particular the Atkins Diet.

'It is nutritionally incomplete. It works in the short term but so does any diet that reduces the amount of calories eaten.

'The diet is a massive health risk, it's medically unsound. We have no idea what will happen in the long term because no one is evaluating the results of the experiment.

'Obesity is a massive problem in the UK but this is not the way to solve it.' The warning is the latest in a series from health professionals over 'gimmicky' diet regimes, endorsed by celebrities.

A multimillion-pound book industry has grown on the back of claims that extreme eating patterns work.

The Atkins Diet is even challenging Harry Potter for world sales figures books about it are currently in first and third place on the British Hot 100 of online retailer Amazon.

Invented 30 years ago by American Dr Robert Atkins, who died earlier this year, it tells followers to eat vast amounts of meat but severely restrict carbohydrates such as bread, pasta, rice and starchy vegetables.

The theory is that carbohydrates increase the body's production of the hormone insulin, which encourages cells to store fat. This leads to both hunger and weight gain.

Cutting carbohydrates right down, Dr Atkins asserted, turns the body from a carbohydrate-burning machine to one that burns fat.

But Dr Jebb dismissed the claim as 'pseudo-science'.

She said following the diet long-term would mean a dramatic change in eating habits for most people, protein accounts for only around 15 per cent of total calorie intake.

Dr Jebb said: 'It's a profound change and we simply do not know the long-term health implications.

'I certainly think we should be adopting a precautionary principle in terms of public health.' The diet is known to put extra stress on the kidneys, which can lead to kidney stones and more serious damage particularly for those with pre-existing problems they might be unaware of.

There is also a fear of bone problems because the diet encourages the excretion of calcium which would otherwise go to build them.

Although two U.S. studies found the Atkins Diet was safe and effective, Dr Jebb said the dieters involved had been on it for only six months and a year.

She also pointed out that, longer-term, it had proved to be no better at permanent weight loss than a conventional low-fat diet.

Dr Jebb said people had to lose weight sensibly and slowly because 'there is no way to lose a stone in a few weeks without putting your health at risk'.

Among other experts warning about the Atkins Diet is Amanda Wynne of the British Dietetic Association. She says the process of ketosis it triggers where the body burns up stored fat can result in nausea and tiredness, while drastic reduction in carbohydrates can lead to constipation and digestive problems.

Dr Jebb's colleague Toni Steer says: 'If you don't eat fruit and veg, you are excluding a lot of essential minerals and vitamins.

'And we know that consuming these foods reduces your risk of cancer and cardiovascular disease.' Professor David Barker, a specialist in foetal health at Southampton University, has warned that mothers-to-be who follow such diet regimes are putting their baby's health at risk.

The diet would deprive an unborn child of essential nutrients and raise the risk of heart disease, diabetes and strokes in adulthood.

Dr Jane Ogden, a reader in health psychology at King ' s College, London, told yesterday's meeting the Atkins Diet was popular because weight watchers could follow the instructions to the letter.

She said: 'What fad diets do is tell people in black and white what they can and can't do, and they identify with that.'
__________________
UltimateBMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2008, 02:02 PM   #27
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
 
UltimateBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MP4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South

Posts: 3,287
iTrader: (0)

I don't mean to bash it, and I won't deny that the low carb diets do work when poeple don't fall off the wagon. But you just have to be careful. I would use it for a period and then gradually work carbs back into your system. Then balance it all out. Thats what nutrition is mostly about, balance.
__________________
UltimateBMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2008, 02:07 PM   #28
Year's_End
RWD only.
 
Year's_End's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL

Posts: 12,237
iTrader: (0)

I just workout like an SOB. Don't really have a prob with eating too much.
__________________
E92 335i: Space Grey|Coral Red|Aluminum Trim

Future Ride: 2015 Mustang GT Premium |Guard|401A|PP|Recaros|6MT
Year's_End is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2008, 02:08 PM   #29
Year's_End
RWD only.
 
Year's_End's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL

Posts: 12,237
iTrader: (0)

Though munchies are a killer. I have to watch myself after tokin it up. I've actually told my friends to remind me of that.
__________________
E92 335i: Space Grey|Coral Red|Aluminum Trim

Future Ride: 2015 Mustang GT Premium |Guard|401A|PP|Recaros|6MT
Year's_End is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2008, 02:08 PM   #30
EOE90
Colonel
 
EOE90's Avatar
 
Drives: AW Power
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Laker City

Posts: 2,426
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to EOE90
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
I don't mean to bash it, and I won't deny that the low carb diets do work when poeple don't fall off the wagon. But you just have to be careful. I would use it for a period and then gradually work carbs back into your system. Then balance it all out. Thats what nutrition is mostly about, balance.
you can find most daily nutrients in other foods besides bread, you can eat fruit and you can eat dairy, im not on atkins, im not saying eat 400 strips of bacon wrapped in filet mignon or anything like that. Im just stating that, bread seems like such a unneeded food group, so many foods that go into sandwiches, pizzas or anything else that relies on bread only show bread as a way to get the food from the plate to your mouth, like salads wrapped in tortillas, i dunno i guess this whole diet has really changed my outlook on any type of bread. I explain my reasons kind of like this, if tomatoes gave you terrible acne, that made you uneasy around people, timid and conscious of your acne, yet everyone else ate tomatoes for almost every meal, would you still eat tomatoes? I guess giving up bread was much better then popping pills, or getting surgery. Losing weight through hardwork and dedication fills you with a much needed sense of pride and self conciousness. All of this has changed my life in so many ways and even at meets nowadays old friends dont even recognize me haha. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, my goal is to just try to get people aware that it is possible to change your life and that there are many ways to do it.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschy View Post
you cannot buy a M3 for a commuter. it is only to be used on the tract. It drives horrible on the freeway, and is very uncomfortable for any longer then 20 minutes.
EOE90 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2008, 02:09 PM   #31
EOE90
Colonel
 
EOE90's Avatar
 
Drives: AW Power
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Laker City

Posts: 2,426
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to EOE90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
Though munchies are a killer. I have to watch myself after tokin it up. I've actually told my friends to remind me of that.
hahahaha, trust me ive figured this out. eat fruit, lo carb yogurt, almonds, anything sugar free, string cheese is amazing, lunch meat and coke zero hahahaha
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschy View Post
you cannot buy a M3 for a commuter. it is only to be used on the tract. It drives horrible on the freeway, and is very uncomfortable for any longer then 20 minutes.
EOE90 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2008, 02:12 PM   #32
EOE90
Colonel
 
EOE90's Avatar
 
Drives: AW Power
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Laker City

Posts: 2,426
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to EOE90
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post

How long have you been on this diet? Because thats what it is, you can't live for a prolonged period of time with that type of food intake unless your taking some serious supplements.
ive been on this diet for almost a year now, ive cut most intense workouts like running sprinting every morning but still lift weights 3-4 times a week. I enjoy working out now which is pretty funny. I would gradually shift back to a "normal" lifestyle but i just cant risk going back to what i was. Im happy eating salads and craisins haha, i dont feel woozy, sick or malnourished. Ive been to the doctor a few times within my diet and nothing has come up nutrionally. My vitals are a okay and im happy with whats happen. Ill look into the risks of keeping up this radical diet though.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschy View Post
you cannot buy a M3 for a commuter. it is only to be used on the tract. It drives horrible on the freeway, and is very uncomfortable for any longer then 20 minutes.
EOE90 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2008, 02:12 PM   #33
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
 
UltimateBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MP4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South

Posts: 3,287
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOE90 View Post
you can find most daily nutrients in other foods besides bread, you can eat fruit and you can eat dairy, im not on atkins, im not saying eat 400 strips of bacon wrapped in filet mignon or anything like that. Im just stating that, bread seems like such a unneeded food group, so many foods that go into sandwiches, pizzas or anything else that relies on bread only show bread as a way to get the food from the plate to your mouth, like salads wrapped in tortillas, i dunno i guess this whole diet has really changed my outlook on any type of bread. I explain my reasons kind of like this, if tomatoes gave you terrible acne, that made you uneasy around people, timid and conscious of your acne, yet everyone else ate tomatoes for almost every meal, would you still eat tomatoes? I guess giving up bread was much better then popping pills, or getting surgery. Losing weight through hardwork and dedication fills you with a much needed sense of pride and self conciousness. All of this has changed my life in so many ways and even at meets nowadays old friends dont even recognize me haha. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, my goal is to just try to get people aware that it is possible to change your life and that there are many ways to do it.
I will agree with you that bread is grossly overused. And many poeple's typical bread intake is above normal. It's probably all due to the convenience of bread and like you said, the delivery system. However, I think totally excluding a food from your diet isn't the right solution. At the very least not a long term solution.

I mentioned above though, it does work.
__________________
UltimateBMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2008, 02:14 PM   #34
mithiral67
That guy
 
mithiral67's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicago Burbs

Posts: 5,687
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOE90 View Post
..... then why are you trying to lose weight, go smoke meth, in excess
I am not trying to lose weight, i am trying to lose fat and put on lean muscle. Hence, I am happy I went from 142 - 152 with a 5% body fat swing.

But, meth is a hell of a drug and I am not about to judge.
mithiral67 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2008, 02:15 PM   #35
mithiral67
That guy
 
mithiral67's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicago Burbs

Posts: 5,687
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGirl07 View Post
You know . . . the Creature . . Booze. Like, can't wait to get off work tonight and get a little of the creature in me.
mithiral67 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2008, 02:16 PM   #36
Year's_End
RWD only.
 
Year's_End's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL

Posts: 12,237
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOE90 View Post
hahahaha, trust me ive figured this out. eat fruit, lo carb yogurt, almonds, anything sugar free, string cheese is amazing, lunch meat and coke zero hahahaha
Thanks man, haha. I'll remember that.
__________________
E92 335i: Space Grey|Coral Red|Aluminum Trim

Future Ride: 2015 Mustang GT Premium |Guard|401A|PP|Recaros|6MT
Year's_End is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2008, 02:17 PM   #37
EOE90
Colonel
 
EOE90's Avatar
 
Drives: AW Power
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Laker City

Posts: 2,426
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to EOE90
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithiral67 View Post
I am not trying to lose weight, i am trying to lose fat and put on lean muscle. Hence, I am happy I went from 142 - 152 with a 5% body fat swing.

But, meth is a hell of a drug and I am not about to judge.
losing fat comes along with hard training, constant running and weight training. I cant lose weight anymore, i find it physically impossible, but i know when i run it does burn away the pure fat. Damn, nice job a few of my friends were blessed with these things called metabolisms, yet i dunno why i wasnt given one
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschy View Post
you cannot buy a M3 for a commuter. it is only to be used on the tract. It drives horrible on the freeway, and is very uncomfortable for any longer then 20 minutes.
EOE90 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2008, 02:17 PM   #38
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
 
UltimateBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MP4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South

Posts: 3,287
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOE90 View Post
ive been on this diet for almost a year now, ive cut most intense workouts like running sprinting every morning but still lift weights 3-4 times a week. I enjoy working out now which is pretty funny. I would gradually shift back to a "normal" lifestyle but i just cant risk going back to what i was. Im happy eating salads and craisins haha, i dont feel woozy, sick or malnourished. Ive been to the doctor a few times within my diet and nothing has come up nutrionally. My vitals are a okay and im happy with whats happen. Ill look into the risks of keeping up this radical diet though.
I'm glad to hear of your success. Do you stretch at all ever? One of the benefits of doing cardio is that it helps get blood pumping in a natural way. (Lifting weights is a very unnatural form of working out.) Nowhere in the world will you be in a position where you have to benchpress a bar with equal weight on both ends. Well unless you get into some kind of accident and are in the middle of mangled wreckage... x.x

Anyways, I don't mean to tell ya what you should do. I work out as well and lift weights (though i'm more running and biking oriented now) Everyone is different so if its working for you and you have no adverse effects then party on.

Just wanted to let poeple that haven't tried it yet know alittle about what it entails and that it might not be for everyone. (Plus its also expensive to keep up, since you have to eat more quantities of the expensive dense protein foods and less cheap carb foods.)
__________________
UltimateBMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2008, 02:45 PM   #39
EOE90
Colonel
 
EOE90's Avatar
 
Drives: AW Power
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Laker City

Posts: 2,426
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to EOE90
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Just wanted to let poeple that haven't tried it yet know alittle about what it entails and that it might not be for everyone. (Plus its also expensive to keep up, since you have to eat more quantities of the expensive dense protein foods and less cheap carb foods.)
haha yeah its allll gooood, weve both got good intentions, but i gtg just got me some carribean rub tri tip from the cafeteria haha. Good luck to everyone else in the future, and just remember it is possible
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschy View Post
you cannot buy a M3 for a commuter. it is only to be used on the tract. It drives horrible on the freeway, and is very uncomfortable for any longer then 20 minutes.
EOE90 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2008, 02:51 PM   #40
HighVoltage
.
 
HighVoltage's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 E90 335i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: .

Posts: 867
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
Though munchies are a killer. I have to watch myself after tokin it up. I've actually told my friends to remind me of that.
...and you trust them to remember?? Or dont you "puff puff give"?
HighVoltage is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2008, 02:56 PM   #41
vq352k
Private First Class
 
Drives: F10 535xi, e92 335I (Ret.)
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Nova

Posts: 147
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to vq352k
the hardest part so far has been giving up alcohol, I used to going out from thursday afternoon to monday night.... and this past weekend i just watched movies with friends all weekend
vq352k is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2008, 02:56 PM   #42
Year's_End
RWD only.
 
Year's_End's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL

Posts: 12,237
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighVoltage View Post
...and you trust them to remember?? Or dont you "puff puff give"?
?

It works. They remind me and it prevents me from going off and eating an entire animal. You're gonna have to reiterate that last sentence, I'm confused.
__________________
E92 335i: Space Grey|Coral Red|Aluminum Trim

Future Ride: 2015 Mustang GT Premium |Guard|401A|PP|Recaros|6MT
Year's_End is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2008, 03:03 PM   #43
ZGirl07
Lieutenant General
 
ZGirl07's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 Z4 35i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SI, NY

Posts: 13,340
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOE90 View Post
i eat lavishly haha, no one even notices im a breadnazi, sushi is fine, you can eat lo carb yogurt which is like at most 8 carbs, eat tons of steak, chicken, fish, and most of all salads. Please dont try to bash this, i really dont think anyone has made such a drastic change in there lives, and if youd like to this is what i recommend. My trainer was 300 pounds, heavy weightlifted, got down to 180 this way, i chose to do the same, from 6,0' 250 lbs to 181 lbs. JUST SAYING haha
Im not bashing anything. Its my opinion. Im constantly struggling to maintain these kinds of diets. Its not realistic. I LOVE FOOD!! Anyway, my metabolism picks back up as soon as I start working out again. So really I can eat whatever the hell I want as soon as I lose whatever lbs I want.
__________________
Space Gray ~ Coral Red ~ 20% Tint ~ LUX Angel Eyes ~ Carbon Fiber Stubby
ZGirl07 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2008, 03:03 PM   #44
Suareezay
puts on his robe and wizard hat
 
Suareezay's Avatar
 
Drives: 96 Tahoe 2dr
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: vegas

Posts: 2,454
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to Suareezay
Quote:
Originally Posted by EOE90 View Post
bread seems like such a unneeded food group
i wasnt aware that bread was a food group.
Suareezay is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST