BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

European Auto Source

09-04-2008, 06:53 PM   #1
e90im
Brigadier General

Drives: f30

Sarah Palin's extremist positions

1. Palin recently said that the war in Iraq is "God's task." She's even admitted she hasn't thought about the war much—just last year she was quoted saying, "I've been so focused on state government, I haven't really focused much on the war in Iraq."

2. Palin has actively sought the support of the fringe Alaska Independence Party. Six months ago, Palin told members of the group—who advocate for a vote on secession from the union—to "keep up the good work" and "wished the party luck on what she called its 'inspiring convention.'"

3. Palin wants to teach creationism in public schools. She hasn't made clear whether she thinks evolution is a fact.

4. Palin doesn't believe that humans contribute to global warming. Speaking about climate change, she said, "I'm not one though who would attribute it to being manmade."

5. Palin has close ties to Big Oil. Her inauguration was even sponsored by BP.

6. Palin is extremely anti-choice. She doesn't even support abortion in the case of rape or incest.

7. Palin opposes comprehensive sex-ed in public schools. She's said she will only support abstinence-only approaches.

8. As mayor, Palin tried to ban books from the library. Palin asked the library how she might go about banning books because some had inappropriate language in them—shocking the librarian, Mary Ellen Baker. According to Time, "news reports from the time show that Palin had threatened to fire Baker for not giving "full support" to the mayor."

9. She DID support the Bridge to Nowhere (before she opposed it). Palin claimed that she said "thanks, but no thanks" to the infamous Bridge to Nowhere. But in 2006, Palin supported the project repeatedly, saying that Alaska should take advantage of earmarks "while our congressional delegation is in a strong position to assist."

f30 e92 tt S5 e92 350z e90
e90im is offline   United_States
      09-04-2008, 07:04 PM   #2
solefald
Nigerian Prince

Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
oooh, now watch ganeil saying that Obama has no accomplishments and scotty digging up bunch of articles portraying her as a saint
      09-04-2008, 07:35 PM   #3
calleballe
ExPAt

Drives: E90

She is scary and what is more scary is that claim that "wars can be won".
IMO they can at best be resolved.

(I spend 2yrs in Balkan in the early 1990) and from what I witness there can never be any "winners".

The war on terror is just new language for what used to be the "cold war". This is all the Mc Cain generation knows. Yes, armed interventions are sometimes nessecary and the right thing to do, but each time, it stirs up more hate among some groups (frustrated youths, religious fanatics) and only fuels their motivation further.

Current cars
BMW 328i (to become sth else)
      09-04-2008, 07:45 PM   #4
solefald
Nigerian Prince

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by calleballe View Post

(I spend 2yrs in Balkan in the early 1990) and from what I witness there can never be any "winners".

The war on terror is just new language for what used to be the "cold war". This is all the Mc Cain generation knows. Yes, armed interventions are sometimes nessecary and the right thing to do, but each time, it stirs up more hate among some groups (frustrated youths, religious fanatics) and only fuels their motivation further.
yeah. tell that to ganeil. for every single war there was, there is and there will be he will pull an excuse right out of his ass, and if you believe his Bush-sponsored propaganda, it will all be in the name of democracy, freedom and WMD's. Oh yeah, almost forgot "chasing evil to the gates of hell".
      09-04-2008, 08:33 PM   #5
scalbert
Major General

Drives: '08 E90 M3, '13 Volt, '08 Ody

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90im View Post
3. Palin wants to teach creationism in public schools. She hasn't made clear whether she thinks evolution is a fact.

6. Palin is extremely anti-choice. She doesn't even support abortion in the case of rape or incest.
Just curious what the source is as these two were just disproven in the last couple of days.
      09-04-2008, 08:37 PM   #6
sayemthree
Brigadier General

Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
Just curious what the source is as these two were just disproven in the last couple of days.
Source: Libipedia
      09-04-2008, 08:41 PM   #7
K330i
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2006 330i

well crap......i saw something about her and positions but it ended up being something totally different.

........as you were
      09-04-2008, 08:49 PM   #8
Grizzles
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 550XI MSPORT

Her claim to fame is being a "Hockey Mom". am i going insane or is this for real?
Grizzles is offline   United_States
      09-04-2008, 08:58 PM   #9
bolinp78
G35 convertee

Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzles View Post
Her claim to fame is being a "Hockey Mom". am i going insane or is this for real?
It's called grassroots appeal.

And no, that's not her "claim to fame".

"hockey mom" is what the media is focusing on, because she has been painted as an ordinary person potentially in a powerful role.
      09-04-2008, 09:06 PM   #10
scottwww
Brigadier General

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolinp78 View Post
It's called grassroots appeal.

And no, that's not her "claim to fame".

"hockey mom" is what the media is focusing on, because she has been painted as an ordinary person potentially in a powerful role.
Interesting you say that. It is next to never that a regular person gets this close to the top job in government. It really is inspiring. If not inspiring for women, it is at least inspiring for those who would like the power elites to really know ordinary life. It appeals to me. But I also share some of her political views. It must be a similar appeal for Obama in reaching regular liberals.

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
scottwww is offline   United_States
      09-04-2008, 09:08 PM   #11
!Xoible
Banned

Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
stop making threads about her. she's not that important, ur making her more popular/familiar
!Xoible is offline   United_States
      09-04-2008, 09:09 PM   #12
scalbert
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post
stop making threads about her. she's not that important, ur making her more popular/familiar
It is a secret love interest of his (or hers).
      09-04-2008, 10:21 PM   #13
bolinp78
G35 convertee

Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
Interesting you say that. It is next to never that a regular person gets this close to the top job in government. It really is inspiring. If not inspiring for women, it is at least inspiring for those who would like the power elites to really know ordinary life. It appeals to me. But I also share some of her political views. It must be a similar appeal for Obama in reaching regular liberals.
The difference is, Obama doesn't seem to be targeting that kind of appeal, he chooses to dodge the 'experience' subject instead.
      09-04-2008, 11:26 PM   #14
e90im
Brigadier General

Drives: f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post

http://dwb.adn.com/news/politics/ele...-8243554c.html

http://www.naral.org/elections/elect...008_palin.html

f30 e92 tt S5 e92 350z e90
e90im is offline   United_States
      09-05-2008, 07:49 AM   #15
ganeil
Colonel

Drives: 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by calleballe View Post

The American Revolution was not won?

US Civil War?

World War I? II?

The Japanese and Germans became more hateful and fanatical after their defeat?

Bosnia did not win the conflict you experienced? Is it not an independent country? How about Croatia?

The idea that wars cannot be won is disproved by history.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
ganeil is offline   United_States
      09-05-2008, 07:55 AM   #16
scalbert
Major General

Here is what you originally wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90im View Post
teach creationism in public schools. She hasn't made clear whether she thinks evolution is a fact.
You specifically said she wants to teach. But even the article spells out what she did. BTW, that article was towards the beginning of her term as Governer; Published: October 27, 2006.

"I don't think there should be a prohibition against debate if it comes up in class. It doesn't have to be part of the curriculum."

She later confirmed her position that evolution would be the only ciriculum but she would not oppose optional discussions if introduced by students. That is hardly teaching an idea.

I've got to run but will touch on the second matter as well as some of the others shortly after my return.
      09-05-2008, 07:56 AM   #17
scalbert
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
The idea that wars cannot be won is disproved by history.
I believe he was meaning from a philosophical perspective.
      09-06-2008, 10:18 PM   #18
Toomstone
First Lieutenant

Drives: Jet Black 328i coupe

Is it just me or does it seem like those to the right bring up fact while those to the left pull just want to make fun of the opposing candidates?

Does this come down to an intelligence issue?
      09-06-2008, 10:27 PM   #19
easyman
Private First Class

Drives: 330i e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomstone View Post
Is it just me or does it seem like those to the right bring up fact while those to the left pull just want to make fun of the opposing candidates?

Does this come down to an intelligence issue?
are you serious...

both guiliani and palin did nothing but belittle obamas work as a "community organizer" palin went further in belittling obamas belief in protecting the environment and negotiating with foreign goverments.

Palin is a big hick... does she not think about the repercussions of drilling and of war.

and over and over and over I hear about 9/11 from the rep. is that their only argument, "If you choose them we are going to get attacked"
      09-06-2008, 10:43 PM   #20
Toomstone
First Lieutenant

Drives: Jet Black 328i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyman View Post
are you serious...

both guiliani and palin did nothing but belittle obamas work as a "community organizer" palin went further in belittling obamas belief in protecting the environment and negotiating with foreign goverments.

Palin is a big hick... does she not think about the repercussions of drilling and of war.

and over and over and over I hear about 9/11 from the rep. is that their only argument, "If you choose them we are going to get attacked"
Haha wow... no drilling huh? I guess they are going to mass produce electric cars in 2 years and everyone will have one? Yes alternative energy is needed but it needs to be improved. What we have that works is oil... so lets use it now.

Please tell me what are the repercussions of drilling?

Obama worked in Chicago for a organization that is frequently caught for fraudulent voting like registering people twice and registering illegals. Organizing community fraud...
      09-06-2008, 10:48 PM   #21
solefald
Nigerian Prince

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomstone View Post
Obama worked in Chicago for a organization that is frequently caught for fraudulent voting like registering people twice and registering illegals. Organizing community fraud...
source please?
      09-06-2008, 10:55 PM   #22
easyman
Private First Class

Drives: 330i e46

Well as of now who can guarantee that we will find oil...
Suppose we do find oil, drilling is a band aid to a real problem.
Oil is at ~106 at 148 the global economy was still functioning.
not to sound like a tree hugger but there are fragile eco systems that will be disturbed by our presence.

if there were no repercussions there wouldnt have been a ban in place to begin with. Americans need to get over it, the days of cheap gas are over. The europeans have been dealing with the issue for decades and they seem to be doing fine.

And if we are going to talk about lack of experience. The town palin was a mayor of had a population of 9k. My college has more undergraduates than that.

at the end of the day Palin wasnt selected for someone like me. she was chosen to solidify the republican ticket's credibility for conservatives. In my mind her views are quite irrational and her belittling of her opposition is uncalled for.