BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

ESS Tuning

09-05-2008, 09:17 AM   #45
scottwww
Brigadier General

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90im View Post
Which specific scientific theory don't you trust? Gravity?

You are more confy believing water into wine, red sea parting and 6k year old universe…

Author of life? Could you be more vague? Allah? Zeus?

Science is NOT a moral standard. It's the best way of thinking in search for truth.

Yes, truth. Not religious allegorical hodge-podge, mumbo jumbo. Truth that works. Universally. In China, on the Moon and yes, in Idaho.
Give your explanation of gravity in your own words. This should be interesting.

As for me, an explanation is an attempt to understand what cannot be understood. There is no definite explanation of gravity. You have no constant. Inevitably, what is called a theory today, will be replaced with another in some future.

Believing in the resurrection of the dead, and that good will triumph over evil is comforting. The creator is the same from before the universe was created and until it is rolled up like a scroll.

Do not attribute to me your stereotypes about a 6,000 year old Earth. I have not once made that claim.

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
scottwww is offline   United_States
      09-05-2008, 10:18 AM   #46
scalbert
Major General

Drives: '08 E90 M3, '13 Volt, '08 Ody

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG View Post
Republicans scare me because they are always right and because of their farmer/redneck 19th century ideals that boil down to having a separate mobile home, a rifle, a fat woman with at least 3 kids (or a basketball team captain with 5 kids), and the bible in their hands.
So sad you have such a myopic view. Words like ALWAYS, etc. have no real place in these discussions. I would never frame someone who votes for a Democrat as a tree hugging pansy with no ambition other than whining. Sure, there are some but that is hardly the majority.
      09-05-2008, 11:06 AM   #47
ATG
Major

Drives: f30 328 xdrive, e90 335i gone

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
So sad you have such a myopic view. Words like ALWAYS, etc. have no real place in these discussions. I would never frame someone who votes for a Democrat as a tree hugging pansy with no ambition other than whining. Sure, there are some but that is hardly the majority.
For example, Ganeil (a republican) is ALWAYS right. Care to disprove?

Tree hugging is not bad at all -- better than gun hugging. And where is the idea of democratic "whining" coming from? That's a carefully planted republican myth. No ambition? Unless we are talking about conquering the world ...
ATG is offline   Cuba
      09-05-2008, 11:10 AM   #48
ganeil
Colonel

Drives: 328i Coupe

Quote:
Finally something we agree on - I am always right.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
ganeil is offline   United_States
      09-05-2008, 11:12 AM   #49
scottwww
Brigadier General

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
Finally something we agree on - I am always right.
He isn't here to discuss. He is here to instruct and to correct. Nothing is new to him. The way things are is the way things should be until a superior officer gives a new command.

09-05-2008, 11:13 AM   #50
ATG
Major

Garage List
One question that has always bothered me: who the hell invented the power-phrase "to stand up for (or believe in) what is right?" Everytime I hear it, something immediately tells me that the speaker is full of BS. "I believe in doing the right thing!" What thing? And who said it's "right" The republicans think that by saying this magic phrase they can purge whatever crap they've done.
ATG is offline   Cuba
      09-05-2008, 11:13 AM   #51
scalbert
Major General

Quote:

Tree hugging is not bad at all -- better than gun hugging. And where is the idea of democratic "whining" coming from? That's a carefully planted republican myth. No ambition? Unless we are talking about conquering the world ...
My point was that an individual does not always represent the whole. If you prefer to label someone, who may not agree with you on certain topics, that is certainly your prerogative. But IMO, it is very narrow sighted.

The whining aspect comes from many of the posts here. They are often made with no substance or level headed nature. They are just simply complaints about things with no suggested recourse; i.e. whining. That is beyond the direct attacks, often with superior attitude attempting to be conveyed, if someone does not 100% agree you another. Examples, I can provide them if I must but a quick browse which surely uncover them quickly.
      09-05-2008, 11:15 AM   #52
scalbert
Major General

Quote:
One question that has always bothered me: who the hell invented the power-phrase "to stand up for (or believe in) what is right?" Everytime I hear it, something immediately tells me that the speaker is full of BS. "I believe in doing the right thing!" What thing? And who said it's "right" The republicans think that by saying this magic phrase they can purge whatever crap they've done.
IMO, both sides say this. What is missing is the actual actions as "the Right Thing" is a matter of perspective.
      09-05-2008, 11:19 AM   #53
ATG
Major

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
He isn't here to discuss. He is here to instruct and to correct. Nothing is new to him. The way things are is the way things should be until a superior officer gives a new command.
This time, you Scottwww, are right too! What a magic morning! (You summed him up so precisely)
ATG is offline   Cuba
      09-05-2008, 11:32 AM   #54
ganeil
Colonel

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear you feel that way. (Not really - but)

I'm sorry I have challenged you to back up the statements you make with your own analysis rather than simply cutting and pasting articles from obscure, conspiracy theory websites.

I would love to have an actual discussion where one side presents an argument backed up by facts and analysis and the other side does the same. The sad fact is that you have shown yourself generally incapable of doing that. You have some pretty off the wall and radical notions about this nation and all I have asked is for you to rationally discuss them in your own words.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
      09-05-2008, 11:57 AM   #55
scottwww
Brigadier General

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear you feel that way. (Not really - but)

I'm sorry I have challenged you to back up the statements you make with your own analysis rather than simply cutting and pasting articles from obscure, conspiracy theory websites.

I would love to have an actual discussion where one side presents an argument backed up by facts and analysis and the other side does the same. The sad fact is that you have shown yourself generally incapable of doing that. You have some pretty off the wall and radical notions about this nation and all I have asked is for you to rationally discuss them in your own words.
What day did you have this approach? Really I don't care.

I would hope that we all come here to present our ideas and those that we find interesting, then to also hear other views and discuss them. We are not here to create policy and run the world. We do not have that power or influence.

I don't think I present myself as knowing it all.
You know it all.
I learn something new when I read alternate viewpoints.
You are an island.
I don't ask for everyone to offer impirical evidence.
You can't accept that people take a different view (much like e90im).
I like to offer my view, and don't care to prove every detail. It's an OPINION, not a court of law.
You offer nothing new, just more of the same. No original thought. Uninteresting. Just combative.

09-05-2008, 12:36 PM   #56
ganeil
Colonel

Quote:
What day did you have this approach? Really I don't care.

I would hope that we all come here to present our ideas and those that we find interesting, then to also hear other views and discuss them. We are not here to create policy and run the world. We do not have that power or influence.

I don't think I present myself as knowing it all.
You know it all.
I learn something new when I read alternate viewpoints.
You are an island.
I don't ask for everyone to offer impirical evidence.
You can't accept that people take a different view (much like e90im).
I like to offer my view, and don't care to prove every detail. It's an OPINION, not a court of law.
You offer nothing new, just more of the same. No original thought. Uninteresting. Just combative.
I try not to express an opinion on matters of which I am ignorant. When I see someone post something that I know to be wrong, I correct it so that the incorrect information is not accepted at face value by others.

I do not state an opinion which I cannot back up with some basic independent analysis.

I love it when people have an alternative viewpoint if they can rationally discuss why they hold that viewpoint. That is the basis of political discussion and debate. "Because that is how I feel..." really does not get us anywhere.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
      09-05-2008, 12:37 PM   #57
scalbert
Major General

Quote:
"Because that is how I feel..." really does not get us anywhere.
But appears to be the status quo here.
      09-05-2008, 01:12 PM   #58
solefald
Nigerian Prince

Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Quote:
I try not to express an opinion on matters of which I am ignorant.
Oh yeah? Care to go and re-read the thread about war in Georgia? 90% of your posts there are pure ignorance.
      09-05-2008, 01:13 PM   #59
e90im
Brigadier General

Drives: f30

Quote:
Give your explanation of gravity in your own words. This should be interesting.
Your lack of scientific knowledge is astounding. I most certainly will not waste my time to explain to you how gravity works. For that kind of tutelage you must pay.

Quote:
As for me, an explanation is an attempt to understand what cannot be understood. There is no definite explanation of gravity. You have no constant. Inevitably, what is called a theory today, will be replaced with another in some future.
No constant??? Earth…9.81 m/s^2 ring a bell?
Again, for the 100th time I must explain to scientifically illiterate, religious fundamentalist what a theory is:

According to the United States National Academy of Sciences:

"Some scientific explanations are so well established that no new evidence is likely to alter them. The explanation becomes a scientific theory. In everyday language a theory means a hunch or speculation. Not so in science. In science, the word theory refers to a comprehensive explanation of an important feature of nature that is supported by many facts gathered over time. Theories also allow scientists to make predictions about as yet unobserved phenomena."

If proven wrong or incomplete, theory is replaced or revised. This is the strongest quality of the scientific method. We LEARN from our mistakes. Religion claims monopoly on truth and never changes its ridiculous claims.

Quote:
Believing in the resurrection of the dead, and that good will triumph over evil is comforting. The creator is the same from before the universe was created and until it is rolled up like a scroll.
Comforting doesn’t make it true. You what else is comforting? Fairytales!!
Not remotely true, though.

Universe is rolled up like scroll? You mean flat?

Quote:
Do not attribute to me your stereotypes about a 6,000 year old Earth. I have not once made that claim.

How old is the Universe? Earth? Did humans and dinosaurs exist at the same time? Was Earth created in 6 days? Answer if you will.
Attached Images

f30 e92 tt S5 e92 350z e90
e90im is offline   United_States
      09-05-2008, 01:15 PM   #60
e90im
Brigadier General

Drives: f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post
Oh yeah? Care to go and re-read the thread about war in Georgia? 90% of your posts there are pure ignorance.
He's a cold war era fear monger that must feed his paranoia. Ooops, ad hominem again….

f30 e92 tt S5 e92 350z e90
e90im is offline   United_States
      09-05-2008, 01:16 PM   #61
scalbert
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90im View Post
Did humans and dinosaurs exist at the same time? Answer if you will.
Define Dinosaur...

Edit: let me ask which you mean; Historical or Cladistic Definition.
      09-05-2008, 01:17 PM   #62
!Xoible
Banned

Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
i have to admit... all of u guys are annoying and dont really have substance in what u say (like me) and not willing to hear what the other is saying....

just FYI
!Xoible is offline   United_States
      09-05-2008, 01:19 PM   #63
addy85
Got beef?

Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post
i have to admit... all of u guys are annoying and dont really have substance in what u say (like me) and not willing to hear what the other is saying....

just FYI

Mashallah look at your post count!!!!!!!

Special Thanks to AU335
addy85 is offline   United_States
      09-05-2008, 01:25 PM   #64
ganeil
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post
Such as the ones were I claim 2,000 civilians were killed by the Georgians?

Oh, wait that was you.

My bad.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
      09-05-2008, 01:30 PM   #65
solefald
Nigerian Prince

Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Quote:
Oh, wait that was you.
PROVE IT.

You're a senile old man
      09-05-2008, 01:31 PM   #66
scalbert
Major General

Why don't we stop the bickering and focus on the topics in a clear manner. This can be done without personal references or insults just as you would do in a business meeting.