BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Evolve Automotive

09-03-2008, 03:11 PM   #1
TMNT
Captain

Drives: 330ci ZHP

Palin: Got her first passport in July 2007

"Ms. Palin appears to have traveled very little outside the United States. In July 2007, she had to get a passport before she visited members of the Alaska National Guard stationed in Kuwait, according to her deputy communications director, Sharon Leighow. She also visited wounded troops in Germany during that trip."

Really? The possible next VP of this country got her first passport 14 months ago? At age 44? That can't be good for us since international relationships is so important to the well being of this country. Or is it?

Interesting Facts:

— When Theodore Roosevelt travelled to Panama in 1906 to visit the Panama Canal he became the first President to leave the country

George Bush visited China, Japan, Mexico, Spain, UK, Israel, Ireland, The Gambia, Italy and Egypt before becoming President

— In 1992 Bill Clinton criticised President Bush for his foreign travel. In office President Clinton made 133 trips abroad

— Hillary Clinton claims to have visited 82 countries when her husband was in the White House

— This year Rudy Giuliani claimed that his work as a security consultant, combined with his time as New York Mayor, had taken him on more than 90 foreign trips, “more than any other candidate for president in the last 5 or 6 years”

As you can see, "back then" foreign travel wasn't a big deal because for the most part the U.S. isolated itself from the rest of the world..especially after WWI. Isolationism "demised" after WW2 when the UN was created, however the mentality did not completely disappear from American discourse, but never again did it figure prominently in American policies and affairs.

Until George W. Bush. The man who pledged "NO!" to nation building, got a cold hard reality of the world we live in where globalization and international affairs is more important now then at any point in history. We can't go at it alone anymore.

Now I am not saying that the amount of trips one takes overseas is the end all be all of foreign intelligence, but it does give a picture of one's desire or indesire to understand the world we live in outside our own backyards.

Remember when John McCain blasted Obama for not visiting Iraq in 2 years (or something like that). What about Sarah? When is she going?

What does Sarah Palin think of the world? Maybe she'll tell us tonite.
      09-03-2008, 03:23 PM   #2
scottwww
Brigadier General

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT View Post
What does Sarah Palin think of the world? Maybe she'll tell us tonite.
I am really looking forward to hearing her speak. But don't think for a minute that we will really get a good idea of Sarah Palin from a speech that is written for her by someone else. It's hard enough to get an accurate view of someone from a speech they write for themselves. This will be another Hollywood moment. But I am looking forward to it.

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
scottwww is offline   United_States
      09-03-2008, 03:29 PM   #3
skierman64
Brigadier General

Drives: 2008 E92 Space Gray M3 & E36M3

Garage List
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to skierman64
I'm not voting for VP, I'm voting for President. Obama's overseas experience is limited as well.
      09-03-2008, 03:39 PM   #4
TMNT
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
I'm not voting for VP, I'm voting for President. Obama's overseas experience is limited as well.
Please re-read:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT
Now I am not saying that the amount of trips one takes overseas is the end all be all of foreign intelligence, but it does give a picture of one's desire or indesire to understand the world we live in outside our own backyards.
      09-03-2008, 03:40 PM   #5
TMNT
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
I am really looking forward to hearing her speak. But don't think for a minute that we will really get a good idea of Sarah Palin from a speech that is written for her by someone else. It's hard enough to get an accurate view of someone from a speech they write for themselves. This will be another Hollywood moment. But I am looking forward to it.
I agree. Should be very interesting to watch. I'm looking forward to it.
      09-03-2008, 03:51 PM   #6
ideliver
Major

Drives: 08 E60 M5 & 08 Infiniti QX56

Garage List
2006 MB S430 SOLD  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
really a non-issue as 99% or REAL americans have never been overseas either...

many of us are tired of the elite ruling class...and their lives of wealth and privilege
Cars I've owned '76 Chevelle 350 RIP '82 Monte Carlo 350 RIP '82 Mustang 302 RIP '88 Honda CRX RIP '88 Olds Toronado sold '94 Toyota Tercel sold '99 Acura TL sold 2002 Porsche 911 sold 2003 E46 M3 Blk/gr 2006 MB S430 sold Current: 2008 Infiniti QX56 & 2008 E60 M5

09-03-2008, 04:02 PM   #7
TMNT
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideliver View Post

many of us are tired of the elite ruling class...and their lives of wealth and privilege
And 99% of REAL americans don't wish to be President or VP. I want leaders who know, understand, and want to continuing learning and understanding the world.

I'm not looking for leaders to drink a beer with.
      09-03-2008, 04:29 PM   #8
e90im
Brigadier General

Drives: f30

Quote:

That's why our foreign policy is nothing but stellar!!

f30 e92 tt S5 e92 350z e90
e90im is offline   United_States
      09-03-2008, 04:35 PM   #9
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
Quote:
and what makes one a "REAL americans"?
      09-03-2008, 04:37 PM   #10
e90im
Brigadier General

Drives: f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
and what makes one a "REAL americans"?
Retarded
Extremist
Anti
Liberal