BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Evolve Automotive

08-31-2008, 05:21 PM   #1
Chipped B6
Favorite ride of all time?: Blondes.
United_States
Rep

Drives: Boooooost!

Garage List
2014 228i Coupe  [0.00]
2013 ActiveHybrid 3  [0.00]
2014 M5  [2.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [4.80]
2011 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Talking My back-to-back test drive including the E92 M3!

This is my own review of the C63 AMG vs. E92 M3.

E92 M3 Writeup
I came to my local friendly dealership yesterday and asked a good friend of mine to test drive a new M3 coupe. 10 minutes later I hear a nice rumble outside and what do I see?.. an 08' Melbourne Red E92 M3. Everything I was hoping for in options I got in the car, so I laid it all out on the table, great looking interior but a little bland compared to the 335i as I am paying a lot of money extra and I don't really get all my money's worth comparing the interiors of the 335i and M3 but the steering wheel felt great and so did the paddles. While the motor was sitting there warming up, I start looking at the RPM gauge and admiring the 8400RPM limit and how elegantly the engine rpm limiter is slowing nearing and getting closer to it's advertised 8400RPM as it's warming up, and finally.. everything is set to my standards. I set the transmission to S5 and although S6 wasn't available I was fine with it. I set the EDC to Sport PLUS, pressed the POWER button, and was ready for flight.
Also to mention, there were 3 of us in the car.

I pulled out of the parking lot, checked my side mirrors and rode the car to about 5K in first and slammed the pedal to the floor, and my face just got slammed back against the comfortable headrest, I switch to 2nd gear at around 8300RPM and get the neck-snapping jolt of the amazing DCT transmission as it changes gears and continues to throw me back in my seat. After the adrenaline rush, we take a turn and were on to some curvy roads up ahead and let me tell you, the car handles insane. I had excellent response in the corners, the car just held up in every corner I threw it in, in short I put the car through it's paces.

After the exciting mountain-carving session we just had, we had to take it on the highway. It was quiet and nimble, overtaking other cars was a snap, and the sound system was great.

After the drive I reviewed it personally and came up with some pro's and con's of my own.

Cons:
-Low torque - Due to being used to 335i probably.
-Seats need more support IMO.
-Needs a louder exhaust.

Now, these are my opinions but the exhaust issue I had to talk about as I can hear the the motor but the exhaust is hard to hear in the mix of giving it some throttle.

Pros:
-Great responsive motor
-Comfortable and quiet
-Handles like it's on rails.

And that's my review of the E92 M3 and here are the options and specs for some of you that might ask.

Options of E92 M3
Melbourne Red
Comfort Access
Technology Package
M-DCT
19" wheels
Upgraded Audio
Black Novillo Leather

Stats of E92 M3
Power - 414 bhp / 311 KW @ 8300 rpm
Torque - 295 ft lbs / 400 Nm @ 3900 rpm
BHP/Liter - 104 bhp / liter
Power to weight - 0.25 bhp / kg
Top Speed - 155 mph
0-60 mph - 4.2-4.3 sec

Now onto the C63 AMG..

C63 AMG Writeup
As I park in the local MB dealer, I spot a Mars Red C63 with the full Performance Package, Navigation, and leather package, and the Carbon Fiber package and I get in the showroom and after some debate with one of the Salespeople, he decides to let me test drive it. I got excited as I remember to all the videos and sound clips I heard of the C63 exhaust, sitting there patiently, he comes back with the keys and continues to put them in the ignition and start up the car.. my next thoughts were . The sound was unimaginable, it was so throaty and insane sounding I couldn't believe it. He was driving it out of the show room as I continue to just look at the car, noticing the side vents in the front bumper, the "6.3 AMG" badge on the side of the car, the front and rear flares and especially the sound. He finally parks the car and makes his way to me and tells me to get in the driver side with an evil grin on his face. First thing I notice is the steering wheel, I like the design of it better than the M3 but the M3 steering wheel was slightly thicker and felt better. The seats though, no comparison they absolutely one of the best seats I have ever sat in, easily besting the M3's by a wide margin. Interior was great and had plenty of nice touches including the Navi pop-up, and the memory card storage in the middle of the dash.

Now onto the drive, as I sit there waiting to make the turn I hear the V8 rumble and was getting jittery as I was waiting to see what these car could do. Traffic clears, I switch it to Sport mode and gun it from 1st at around 2K rpm, the acceleration was unreal and absolutely mad. It changes gears quickly, although not as fast as the M3, and I go into 2nd and next thing I know I was going faster than a bat out of hell. I love the sound of the exhaust as well and as we turned into some mountain roads, I instantly though of the well-renown handling as being sorta crappy, but as I take the first corner, the first thought was "This is weird, the car is actually holds in the corners!". Don't get me wrong, the M3 handles better, but this car easily handles GREAT. I turn back as the salesperson didn't want me to put too many miles on it and drive casually back. I started noticing how quiet the car ride is, but at the same time very firm and not that soft, so that was another thumbs up and then after the small test drive, I turn back into the dealer and park the car, after some small talk I leave the dealership. I start thinking of what I should get because of my lease running out in July 09'.

After driving it thoroughly and seeing what it can do I came up with a small list of pro's and con's.

Cons:
-No free maintainence
-Gas guzzler, although the M3 is too but this is slightly more.
-Sometimes rides a little too firm.

Pros:
-Great sound and crazy acceleration.
-Comfortable and handles great.
-Cheaper than a comparably equipped M3 Sedan if I don't include the CF package.

That's my review of the C63 AMG and here are some specs and the options I had.

Options of C63 AMG
Mars Red
Carbon Fiber Package
Leather Package
Performance Package
Premium Package 1 & 2

Stats of C63 AMG
Power - 457 bhp / 341 KW @ 6800 rpm
Torque - 443 ft lbs / 600 Nm @ 5000 rpm
BHP/Liter - 74 bhp / liter
Power to weight - 0.26 bhp / kg
Top Speed - 176 mph with limiter, not drag limited
0-60 mph - 3.8-4.0 s

Conclusion
The M3 if you are strictly tracking your car, but the C63 is just better when it comes to get groceries, and just driving around town as you have a lot of torque and don't need to change gears at all. At this point I think I have my eyes set on getting a C63 but we will all see next year when the time comes..

So my decision is C63 AMG>M3 in daily driving and what I do with it.

And that's my review!
      08-31-2008, 05:36 PM   #2
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000 TT3

Send a message via AIM to King Tut
For me those 2 cars came down to 6 speed manual transmission. One has it and one does not.
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 12:24 AM   #3
chicagobimmerboy
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Drives: Un esotico Italiano ;)

Benz's are pigs, cool yeah but pigs none the less.

40/60 wieght distribution, 4200 LBS curb wieght, Pretty much exlusivly offered in automatic. what part of that would even tempt an enthusiast?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 10:01 AM   #4
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep

Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipped B6 View Post
but the C63 is just better when it comes to get groceries, and just driving around town
Thanks for a nice review. I think you answered your own question.

Does one buy a performance car to buy groceries? You also need to go on YouTube to check out Top Gear's test: the handling , or lack thereof, of the C63 is a deal-breaker IMO.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 10:07 AM   #5
bimmerj
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Drives: cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
Thanks for a nice review. I think you answered your own question.

Does one buy a performance car to buy groceries? You also need to go on YouTube to check out Top Gear's test: the handling , or lack thereof, of the C63 is a deal-breaker IMO.
Yeah I read something interesting in the M3 manual.
1. You can't use your M3 to get groceries.
2. Beware of getting dusted at a red light by a C63 with kids in the back and groceries in the trunk.

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 10:43 AM   #6
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: '12 Golf R

Thanks for the review. The C63 seems to be a great competitor, and even though I'm set on my E92 order, I want to test drive the C63 to see how good it is for myself.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 10:44 AM   #7
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Very good write up!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 11:05 AM   #8
ybbiz34
Rep

Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan

I think you touched on something very important in your initial post.

Unfortunately, a lot of people, out of ignorance, carelessly disregard the C63's handling capabilities.

The M3 is obviously well-known for its outstanding performance in the twisties, but this does NOT mean that the C63 handles like a Dodge Ram in comparison. The C63 has made significant improvements in the handling category, and would most likely outperform all the current non-M BMWs.

The C63 is surely on the heavy side, and all the power makes the rear-end a little hard to keep under control in comparison to the M, but the C63 is still a hell of a piece of engineering, and the driving experience, although different from that of the M3, is still incredible.