BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-30-2008, 03:04 PM   #67
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
 
BKsBimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA / Silver Spring, Maryland

Posts: 1,638
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Can someone please help her out. She want's to just what a VP does!!!!

You'd think John McCain would have made sure she knew the job description before giving her the job!!!!

Sarah Palin doesn't know what the Vice President does
[u2b]JJpYI2AoIGw&feature=related[/u2b]


You just know Condi Rice, Kay Bailey Hutchinson and Carly Fiorina gotta be PISSED right about now.
__________________
_____________________________________
330xi/TiAg/Black/Alum/6sp/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/CW/PDC/Sirius Satellite Radio/OEM Spoiler/Blacklines/19" Axis Hiro Hyper Silver/Toyo Proxes 4 Ultra High Performance all season F 235/35/19 R 265/30/19/10mm spacers F/15mm spacers R/M3 front bumber/M-tech rear bumper
BKsBimmer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2008, 03:31 PM   #68
scalbert
Major General
 
scalbert's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 M3, '13 Volt, '08 Ody
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Woodstock, GA

Posts: 5,710
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtPE View Post
talk about 'hate'

don't forget oreilly, limbaugh, KKK, fox and the republican party

I hope you guys don't put one down yours or someone elses BEFORE nov 4th
Naw, most Republicans do not suffer from post-election selection trauma and need couseling after an election. Overly dramatic seems to be a foundation for the current Democratic party.
scalbert is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2008, 03:33 PM   #69
scalbert
Major General
 
scalbert's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 M3, '13 Volt, '08 Ody
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Woodstock, GA

Posts: 5,710
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtPE View Post
State Senate President Lyda Green said she thought it was a joke when someone called her at 6 a.m. to give her the news.

“She’s not prepared to be governor. How can she be prepared to be vice president or president?” said Green, a Republican from Palin’s hometown of Wasilla. “Look at what she’s done to this state. What would she do to the nation?”
While I am still conflicted in this decision. The input of a STATE Senator is not valid when the whole context is considered.
scalbert is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2008, 04:17 PM   #70
The_Blob
Second Lieutenant
 
The_Blob's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 335i
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Canada

Posts: 290
iTrader: (0)

The_Blob is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2008, 04:27 PM   #71
AJerman
Major
 
AJerman's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 335i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wake Forest, NC

Posts: 1,381
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to AJerman Send a message via MSN to AJerman Send a message via Yahoo to AJerman
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
Do you dislike Sarah Palin because she is a woman?
No, I don't mean that people that would vote for a woman are stupid, I mean people who would vote for a woman JUST because she's a woman, and not paying attention to what they actually believe or represent, are stupid.

I'd say that easily the majority of voters in our country don't even pay attention to anything and vote for the wrong reasons. How many kids grow up to be a democrat or republican, just because their parents were? How many people will vote democrat or republican, EVERY TIME, just because they are stubborn, regardless of who is a better candidate? How many people were supporting Hilary just because she was a woman, or Obama just because he's black? I don't have any problem at all with a woman, black, or any other president, as long as they are best qualified for the job.

To me, Palin isn't a very good candidate to actually be in such a position, and it seems to me that McCain simply chose her because she is a woman, and he's trying to capitalize off of so many of Hilary's supporters who are hesitating to support Obama, or were voting for Hilary just because she was a woman. I really think it's going to backfire on him. He was already a bit of an underdog because of how fired up the democratic party is to take control this year, and instead of building a stronger campaign, he seems like he's gone for a gimmick type ticket of sorts just to pick up a few voters who wanted to vote for a woman.

I just don't think it was the best choice he could have made, and if anything, it almost seems like a slap in the face to any possible female candidates because now he's just using them to get votes for himself.
__________________
2008 BMW 335i: Jet Black, Jade Gray, Gray Poplar, 6MT - Stock... for now.
AJerman is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2008, 04:36 PM   #72
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
 
Tondtar's Avatar
 
Drives: His Mom Crazy
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: El Lay

Posts: 884
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
.

Last edited by Tondtar; 12-16-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Tondtar is offline   Vanuatu
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2008, 04:41 PM   #73
e90im
Brigadier General
 
e90im's Avatar
 
Drives: f30
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: USA

Posts: 3,066
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blob View Post
__________________
'13 f30 328i | P7ACA | S563A | S4DLA | Jet Black |

f30 e92 tt S5 e92 350z e90
e90im is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2008, 05:24 PM   #74
e90im
Brigadier General
 
e90im's Avatar
 
Drives: f30
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: USA

Posts: 3,066
iTrader: (8)

She was elected Alaska's governor a little over a year and a half ago. Her previous office was mayor of Wasilla, a small town outside Anchorage. She has no foreign policy experience.

Palin is strongly anti-choice, opposing abortion even in the case of rape or incest.

She supported right-wing extremist Pat Buchanan for president in 2000.

Palin thinks creationism should be taught in public schools.

She's doesn't think humans are the cause of climate change.

She's solidly in line with John McCain's "Big Oil first" energy policy. She's pushed hard for more oil drilling and says renewables won't be ready for years. She also sued the Bush administration for listing polar bears as an endangered species—she was worried it would interfere with more oil drilling in Alaska.

How closely did John McCain vet this choice? He met Sarah Palin once at a meeting. They spoke a second time, last Sunday, when he called her about being vice-president. Then he offered her the position.
__________________
'13 f30 328i | P7ACA | S563A | S4DLA | Jet Black |

f30 e92 tt S5 e92 350z e90
e90im is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2008, 06:58 PM   #75
scalbert
Major General
 
scalbert's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 M3, '13 Volt, '08 Ody
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Woodstock, GA

Posts: 5,710
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90im View Post
She was elected Alaska's governor a little over a year and a half ago. Her previous office was mayor of Wasilla, a small town outside Anchorage. She has no foreign policy experience.
Making her more experienced than both Obama and Biden combined when leadership is concerned.
Sheez, at least paraphrase or link your statements instead of a direct copy and paste:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/vnn/818739908.html

http://www.thelangreport.com/2008-pr...g-sarah-palin/

Simply pathetic when trying to convey a thought which is not your own.

Quote:
Palin is strongly anti-choice, opposing abortion even in the case of rape or incest.
And… This is bad. Personally seeing the use of abortion as birth control is appalling. Her views are a bit extreme but SHE has greater ability to comment on this topic than you or I. That is unless you are a female.

Quote:
Palin thinks creationism should be taught in public schools.
I disagree with creationism but do have an open mind. Should a single sided thought be taught or should we present multiple options to the children and let them decide for themselves. from what I have read, she does not oppose the teaching of evolution.

Quote:
She's doesn't think humans are the cause of climate change.
And again… I have seen evidence to support both arguments and not completely decided. We are below the mean temperature for the planet. You seem to assume or convey that something that does not agree with you is automatically incorrect. Furthermore, you failed to mention (most likely due to copying and pasting) that she has endorsed studies on climate change and reduction of greenhouse gases.

Quote:
She's solidly in line with John McCain's "Big Oil first" energy policy. She's pushed hard for more oil drilling and says renewables won't be ready for years. She also sued the Bush administration for listing polar bears as an endangered species—she was worried it would interfere with more oil drilling in Alaska.
What personal experience or knowledge do you have with renewable? When will there be a valid and economical alternative (and I am not referring to subsidized)?

She is right. There are no valid alternatives which are currently cost effective. She does support research into alternatives while current supplies are being utilized. In fact, she did oppose the oil company’s endeavors in Alaska as well as certain political interest groups. In other words, she actual stood up for something and committed to it. What one single thing has Obama stood up for and committed to?
scalbert is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2008, 07:10 PM   #76
e90im
Brigadier General
 
e90im's Avatar
 
Drives: f30
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: USA

Posts: 3,066
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
I disagree with creationism but do have an open mind. Should a single sided thought be taught or should we present multiple options to the children and let them decide for themselves. from what I have read, she does not oppose the teaching of evolution.
The jury is still undecided and openminded about gravity too! Did you graduate highschool dude?
__________________
'13 f30 328i | P7ACA | S563A | S4DLA | Jet Black |

f30 e92 tt S5 e92 350z e90
e90im is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2008, 07:21 PM   #77
scalbert
Major General
 
scalbert's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 M3, '13 Volt, '08 Ody
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Woodstock, GA

Posts: 5,710
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90im View Post
The jury is still undecided and openminded about gravity too! Did you graduate highschool dude?
How old are you? Resorting to child like statements is pathetic. I assure you, when it comes to techinical matters I am well secure as my record on this AUTOMOTIVE forum shows.

So you are telling me the greatest minds in astrophysics know, without a doubt, how everything began? Please go back to school and read a book if you beleive so.
scalbert is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2008, 07:54 PM   #78
scottwww
Brigadier General
 
scottwww's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: USA

Posts: 4,759
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJerman View Post
No, I don't mean that people that would vote for a woman are stupid, I mean people who would vote for a woman JUST because she's a woman, and not paying attention to what they actually believe or represent, are stupid.

I'd say that easily the majority of voters in our country don't even pay attention to anything and vote for the wrong reasons. How many kids grow up to be a democrat or republican, just because their parents were? How many people will vote democrat or republican, EVERY TIME, just because they are stubborn, regardless of who is a better candidate? How many people were supporting Hilary just because she was a woman, or Obama just because he's black? I don't have any problem at all with a woman, black, or any other president, as long as they are best qualified for the job.
I think I am in full agreement on these points (except the word stupid in your first sentence). But if there are some who would vote for Palin based on gender alone, then it was a good pick for them. Just as there are some who would vote for Obama on race alone, then he was a good pick for those voters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJerman View Post
To me, Palin isn't a very good candidate to actually be in such a position, and it seems to me that McCain simply chose her because she is a woman, and he's trying to capitalize off of so many of Hilary's supporters who are hesitating to support Obama, or were voting for Hilary just because she was a woman. I really think it's going to backfire on him. He was already a bit of an underdog because of how fired up the democratic party is to take control this year, and instead of building a stronger campaign, he seems like he's gone for a gimmick type ticket of sorts just to pick up a few voters who wanted to vote for a woman.

I just don't think it was the best choice he could have made, and if anything, it almost seems like a slap in the face to any possible female candidates because now he's just using them to get votes for himself.
On these points I disagree. Palin does appeal to part of the Republican base that don't like McCain. That appeal is due to issues, not gender.

One thing that is a slap in the face of women is when people automatically assume that a pretty woman must be incompetent or simply privileged because of her looks.

Lastly, affirmative action or some form of it is very real in this election.
__________________
2007 BMW 335i E92, Montego Blue on Cream Beige, MT, ZSP, ZPP, CA, PDC, CWP and Style 188 for winter

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
scottwww is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2008, 08:04 PM   #79
scottwww
Brigadier General
 
scottwww's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: USA

Posts: 4,759
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
Making her more experienced than both Obama and Biden combined when leadership is concerned.
Sheez, at least paraphrase or link your statements instead of a direct copy and paste:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/vnn/818739908.html

http://www.thelangreport.com/2008-pr...g-sarah-palin/

Simply pathetic when trying to convey a thought which is not your own.



And… This is bad. Personally seeing the use of abortion as birth control is appalling. Her views are a bit extreme but SHE has greater ability to comment on this topic than you or I. That is unless you are a female.



I disagree with creationism but do have an open mind. Should a single sided thought be taught or should we present multiple options to the children and let them decide for themselves. from what I have read, she does not oppose the teaching of evolution.



And again… I have seen evidence to support both arguments and not completely decided. We are below the mean temperature for the planet. You seem to assume or convey that something that does not agree with you is automatically incorrect. Furthermore, you failed to mention (most likely due to copying and pasting) that she has endorsed studies on climate change and reduction of greenhouse gases.



What personal experience or knowledge do you have with renewable? When will there be a valid and economical alternative (and I am not referring to subsidized)?

She is right. There are no valid alternatives which are currently cost effective. She does support research into alternatives while current supplies are being utilized. In fact, she did oppose the oil company’s endeavors in Alaska as well as certain political interest groups. In other words, she actual stood up for something and committed to it. What one single thing has Obama stood up for and committed to?
I would agree with much of what you said in reply to e90im. One thing you will find in conversing with e90im is that he is not rational, but seems to think himself a superior intellect. He has a lot of "hate" for people who don't believe what he believes. Sometimes it is interesting to exchange dialog with him, but it is really rather pointless.
__________________
2007 BMW 335i E92, Montego Blue on Cream Beige, MT, ZSP, ZPP, CA, PDC, CWP and Style 188 for winter

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
scottwww is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2008, 08:10 PM   #80
ArtPE
Banned
 
Drives: e46 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Earth

Posts: 471
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
While I am still conflicted in this decision. The input of a STATE Senator is not valid when the whole context is considered.

really? of the same party that has known her for her whole life and has worked with her for years? they are from the same small town...
she probably remembers her as the town 'pump'

the woman was
beauty queen runner up
tv talking head for sports
council member town of 9000
mayor, no authority, budget or departments to supervise
as mayor she had no vote, budget, no management function and all the depts (sewer, water, code, etc.) repoted to council...

the mayor has no employees, period...no function...yet this counts as executive experience...as opposed to obama who was a rep for a large district, probably a larger population than than AK...

as opposed to what, mccains opinion after a 15 minute meeting?

gtfouttahere
ArtPE is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2008, 08:13 PM   #81
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
 
BKsBimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA / Silver Spring, Maryland

Posts: 1,638
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
Making her more experienced than both Obama and Biden combined when leadership is concerned.
Using your definition of "experience" you must add McCain to the list. He has no executive experience in goverment either.

On it's face McCain's VP choice seems very cynical to me. He has a lot of explaining to do next week.

Palin seemed as shocked as anyone that she was even being considered for the job. In a recent interview she asked the interviewer what a VP does! C'mon, experience or no experience, does that sound like someone who is prepared to be VP let alone take over as Commander and Cheif if the unthinkable happens?

Last edited by BKsBimmer; 08-30-2008 at 08:28 PM.
BKsBimmer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2008, 08:16 PM   #82
ArtPE
Banned
 
Drives: e46 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Earth

Posts: 471
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKsBimmer View Post
Using your definition of "experience" you must add McCain to the list. He has no executive experience in goverment either.
neither did Washington, JFK, Lincoln and many others...

the state runs itself...watch, she'll be on the campaign trail for 3 months and AK will not fold

you guys are really reaching to say her 1.5 yr tenure as governor and mayor of hickville makes her more suitable for presidency than mccain...or obama, or biden for gawds sake...you are kidding only yourself...
thankfully, the American people are smarter than some members of this board...
ArtPE is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2008, 08:29 PM   #83
scalbert
Major General
 
scalbert's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 M3, '13 Volt, '08 Ody
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Woodstock, GA

Posts: 5,710
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKsBimmer View Post
Using your definition of "experience" you must add McCain to the list. He has no executive experience in goverment either.
I would not disagree.

I am somewhat disenchanted with all canidates. The only aspect I am looking at is the fiscal proposals as a seperator at this current time. That is not to say other aspects won't be considered but it is a prominent one at this time.
scalbert is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2008, 08:31 PM   #84
scalbert
Major General
 
scalbert's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 M3, '13 Volt, '08 Ody
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Woodstock, GA

Posts: 5,710
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtPE View Post
you guys are really reaching to say her 1.5 yr tenure as governor and mayor of hickville makes her more suitable for presidency than mccain...or obama, or biden for gawds sake...you are kidding only yourself...
thankfully, the American people are smarter than some members of this board...
Not reaching. Just pointing out the overall lack of executive experience. At this point the focus is futile. Let's see how they all respond in the upcoming months when the pressure is loaded.
scalbert is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2008, 08:35 PM   #85
ArtPE
Banned
 
Drives: e46 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Earth

Posts: 471
iTrader: (0)

rasmussen poll
But among the critical undecideds, the Palin pick made only 6 percent more likely to vote for McCain; and it made 31 percent less likely to vote for him. 49 percent said it would have no impact, and 15 percent remained unsure. More to the point: among undecideds, 59 percent said Palin was unready to be president. Only 6 percent said she was.If the first criterion for any job is whether you're ready for it, this is a pretty major indictment of the first act of McCain's presidential leadership.
ArtPE is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2008, 08:57 PM   #86
scottwww
Brigadier General
 
scottwww's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: USA

Posts: 4,759
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtPE View Post
rasmussen poll
But among the critical undecideds, the Palin pick made only 6 percent more likely to vote for McCain; and it made 31 percent less likely to vote for him. 49 percent said it would have no impact, and 15 percent remained unsure. More to the point: among undecideds, 59 percent said Palin was unready to be president. Only 6 percent said she was.If the first criterion for any job is whether you're ready for it, this is a pretty major indictment of the first act of McCain's presidential leadership.
I would answer in a poll that Palin is not ready to be president. But she is the best thing in the Republican race right now, and better than the Democrats. Often readiness isn't everything. It's just the same reason that the Democrats can go ahead and vote for Obama. He certainly isn't ready either. It comes down to the issues. If experience were the matter, then it should have been Biden on top for the Democrats, and the least qualified would be Obama.

Who among the Democrat party Governors or U.S. Senators are less experienced than Obama?
__________________
2007 BMW 335i E92, Montego Blue on Cream Beige, MT, ZSP, ZPP, CA, PDC, CWP and Style 188 for winter

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
scottwww is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2008, 10:17 PM   #87
Neurorad
Major
 
Neurorad's Avatar
 
Drives: 330xi 6MT Blk/Blk SP
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Location, Location

Posts: 1,212
iTrader: (0)

She's not only ridiculously inexperienced, she comes off as a lunatic.
Neurorad is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2008, 11:17 PM   #88
Rips335iCoupe
Banned
 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Goodyear, AZ

Posts: 947
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
McCain Swings For The Fences, Picking Alaska's Palin For Veep

No one knows how this presidential election will turn out. There are still thousands of miles of road to travel, dozens of speeches to be made, scores of hands to be shaken, millions of voters to be swayed.

But if John McCain should go on to win on Nov. 4, pundits might well mark Aug. 29 as the turning point. For that's the day he shocked the world by picking Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate.

With the 44-year-old Palin, the 72-year-old McCain showed he can think outside the Washington box, selecting one of America's least-known but most appealing young political talents.

It was a home run, an inspired choice for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is the need to drill for more oil to ensure America's future prosperity and security.

As a McCain aide said: "A maverick with a record of reform picks a maverick with a record of reform. With this pick John McCain is putting Washington on notice. There's a shake-up coming."

Palin's state, Alaska, holds a special place in modern America. With its immense wilderness and trove of natural resources, including 30 billion barrels of oil and trillions of cubic feet of natural gas, Alaska is America's last true economic frontier.

As such, McCain's selection of Palin, Alaska's youngest governor ever, is a nod to America's youthful optimism and its vigorous frontier past.

State Of Energy

As part of our ongoing energy coverage, IBD has interviewed Palin a number of times, most recently in July. We were struck by how clearly she understood her state's importance to solving America's energy crisis.

"Alaskans are frustrated because there is opposition in Congress to developing our vast amount of natural resources," she told IBD. "We want to contribute more to the rest of the United States. We want to help secure the United States and help us get off this reliance on foreign sources of energy."

Music to our ears.

It's not surprising she knows as much as she does about oil and gas. She served in 2003 and 2004 as chairwoman of Alaska's Oil and Gas Conservation Commission. Her husband, Todd, who's part Eskimo, has worked 18 years for BP.

What intrigued us was her effort to build a natural gas pipeline across Alaska against great odds. And her unabashed support for more oil drilling led us in July to call Palin, with her 84% approval rating in Alaska, a "rising star" in U.S. politics.

Little did we know.

Our lasting impression: She is serious, incredibly smart, very personable and highly competent. A great vice presidential pick.

What's truly compelling is her life story. Growing up in Wasilla, a small town outside of Anchorage, she played on a state championship girls' basketball team and was crowned runner-up in the Miss Alaska pageant.

She started her career on the Wasilla City Council in 1992 as an opponent of tax hikes. She moved on to become mayor for six years, served as one of the state's top oil officials for two years and, in 2006, won the governor's job.
The first woman governor of a state known for its pioneer spirit and macho swagger, Palin took to the job with gusto after beating incumbent Frank Murkowski in a tough primary battle.

Murkowski had made her head of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission. It was supposed to be a great job for an up-and-coming political star, if she kept quiet and didn't make any waves.

Frontier Reform

She began almost immediately to expose ethical breaches in the powerful oil industry watchdog.

Later, as governor, she again stood up to Alaska's power structure over corruption.

As the Anchorage Daily News' Tom Kizzia wrote: "She took on the Republican Party chairman, Gov. Frank Murkowski's attorney general, Murkowski's daughter, Sen. Ted Stevens' son, the North Slope oil producers and finally Murkowski himself."

And remember the notorious "bridge to nowhere"? Palin killed the project.

The conservative Club for Growth called her a "genuine reformer." As governor, she has cut budgets, slashed waste, lowered taxes and gone after corruption in Alaska's government — risking her own career.

If McCain needed a running mate who would shore up his ties to the GOP's conservative base and to working women, he did both by picking Palin.

For the GOP's bedrock conservatives, in particular, Palin pushes a lot of buttons and gives McCain credibility he might not have had with any other running mate.

She's a lifetime member of the National Rifle Association, an ardent hunter and fisher. A mother of five, Palin called herself in 2002 as "pro-life as any candidate can be," and proved it by giving birth just last April to a Down syndrome baby. Her eldest son is in the Army, ready to deploy to Iraq.

Her husband works in Alaska's oil fields and belongs to the steelworkers' union. She knows what working families are like.

Fiscal conservatives likewise will be cheered. She has cut taxes, slashed budgets and created a reputation as one of America's most fiscally conservative governors.

Yet the instant buzz after McCain picked her was that she shouldn't be the nominee because she's been governor for just two years.

In fact, having served as a mayor and a governor, she has more executive experience than any candidate on either ticket. Her tenure in Alaska's top state office has been brief, but truly impressive.

Girl Power

To the media, it's a given that the Democrats — who gave 18 million votes to Hillary Clinton during the primaries, the same as Obama — were the party that would capture the vote of women across America.

Now that may not be the case.

The tough, successful yet feminine Palin will appeal to middle-class women who have eagerly awaited one of their own.

Soccer moms and suburban working women will identify with someone who's done what they've done: juggle family life with professional responsibilities.

Some have commented that Palin might not do so well against Democratic vice presidential candidate Joe Biden, a man with decades of experience in Washington and with considerable foreign policy expertise.

But Palin is a surprisingly effective public speaker, peppering her speech with well-practiced zingers. Biden is, well, known for windiness and making gaffes.

And Biden's foreign policy expertise is questionable. Remember his plan in 2005 to partition Iraq and withdraw the troops? That would have been a disaster. And on a host of other issues — from taxes and spending to defense — Biden is way to the left of his party's and country's center.

Mostly, it's on energy issues that Palin distinguishes herself from the opposition. She wants to drill for America's more than 130 billion barrels of oil. She understands as her opponents don't that drilling should be America's top priority right now. It's a matter of economic and national security.

Palin is a historic pick. She's the second woman to be on a major party ticket. If elected, she would be the first to serve.

Biden once said of Barack Obama, "That's a real storybook, man."

Well, Palin's a real storybook, too.
Rips335iCoupe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST