BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
PYSPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-22-2008, 01:07 AM   #23
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
37

 
e46e92love's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The East Side of Things


Posts: 3,054
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to e46e92love
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
except now instead of a police state
we call it the Patriot Act

thank you republicans
+1
__________________

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 01:28 AM   #24
BlackJetE90
Colonel
31

 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: e90


Posts: 2,417
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
except now instead of a police state
we call it the Patriot Act

thank you republicans
-1

Left wing loon.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 02:29 AM   #25
sayemthree
Brigadier General
125

 
sayemthree's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: usa


Posts: 4,845
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dascamel View Post
But he greats health insurance for that extra 75k.
Hahahahaha!!!! for 75 K he get s afree - bend over this wont hurt at all!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 06:23 AM   #26
enfield
Civilian
Canada
23

 
enfield's Avatar
 
Drives: Jaguar F-Type V8 S
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ontario


Posts: 945
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
you should move away from Communist Cananda?!?

you probably also paid twice the price and twice the taxes.
That is a myth. I actually pay about the same income taxes as I did when I lived in Rochester NY. Sales tax is higher. Quite a bit higher!! Canada is a great place to live and I am quite happy with my rights and freedoms.

Back to OP - I have felt the same way about ///M cars in North America. You really cannot drive them to their potential except when merging on the highway. Just that part makes it worthwhile. When you see the car tailgating you (as you were entering the ramp) being left behind in your rear view mirror. The other fun part is overtaking on country roads.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 07:23 AM   #27
Gearhead999s
Major General
92

 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto


Posts: 6,803
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfield View Post
That is a myth. I actually pay about the same income taxes as I did when I lived in Rochester NY. Sales tax is higher. Quite a bit higher!! Canada is a great place to live and I am quite happy with my rights and freedoms.

The other fun part is overtaking on country roads.
Yeah so you can have your car impounded for 110 in a 60My favorite local motorcycle roads have had the limits changed from 80 to 60 and have become a fishing hole for the popo.Not much fun anymore!

That is why the track is the only place that you can go play properly,but I still love my M as an everday car.Every modern performance car is wasted on North American roads.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 07:44 AM   #28
yahtzee
El Capitan
United_States
20

 
yahtzee's Avatar
 
Drives: fast
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Virginia


Posts: 660
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Are our cars wasted on today's highways?
Do you like your car?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 07:52 AM   #29
dawgdog
Colonel
27

 
dawgdog's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Porsche GT3RS
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Seattle, Wa.


Posts: 2,175
iTrader: (0)

I have just recently started going to track events and this seems to satisfy my "need for speed." The only good news about all of this is that I no longer feel I need more power. What I need is more ability to handle the ample power this car already has.
__________________
2015 f80 M3, 2010 GR3RS
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 08:08 AM   #30
d_dot
4 * General
United_States
15

 
d_dot's Avatar
 
Drives: F12 M6,Audi R8 Lambo Gallardo
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Tri-State


Posts: 645
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to d_dot
Quote:
Originally Posted by masmole View Post
Sell the M6 and buy a Prius, put tints, drop the suspension, and put HREs on it. Done.
+1 lol
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 08:23 AM   #31
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
177

 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI


Posts: 13,784
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfield View Post
That is a myth. I actually pay about the same income taxes as I did when I lived in Rochester NY. Sales tax is higher. Quite a bit higher!! Canada is a great place to live and I am quite happy with my rights and freedoms.
You pay a lot more for the car itself too, right?
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 08:27 AM   #32
jaiman
Captain
9

 
Drives: very fast
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto


Posts: 657
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Yeah so you can have your car impounded for 110 in a 60My favorite local motorcycle roads have had the limits changed from 80 to 60 and have become a fishing hole for the popo.Not much fun anymore!

That is why the track is the only place that you can go play properly,but I still love my M as an everday car.Every modern performance car is wasted on North American roads.
Apparently there is a Charter challange that has been filed against the street racing law. We may not have this law on the books for very long.

For those who don't live in Ontario, I would say the cruising speed on open highways is somewhere around 140 km/h. When I was going to play golf last weekend at around 6:30 am on a Saturday, everyone on the Don Valley Parkway (a major north-south highway in toronto) was going over 140. When a group of 15 cars is going that fast the cops won't even bother with them. They wait to see a lone car going 140 and will pull them over.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 08:38 AM   #33
valeram
Major
14

 
Drives: E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dublin, OH


Posts: 1,345
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
+1
-1 Marxist
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 08:46 AM   #34
Gearhead999s
Major General
92

 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto


Posts: 6,803
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman View Post
Apparently there is a Charter challange that has been filed against the street racing law. We may not have this law on the books for very long.

For those who don't live in Ontario, I would say the cruising speed on open highways is somewhere around 140 km/h. When I was going to play golf last weekend at around 6:30 am on a Saturday, everyone on the Don Valley Parkway (a major north-south highway in toronto) was going over 140. When a group of 15 cars is going that fast the cops won't even bother with them. They wait to see a lone car going 140 and will pull them over.
I have found that since last fall(when this law came in),there are more people cruising at 140(87mph) than there were before the law.It is strange!but in the Fantino draconian Ontario they will just find another way to f--k us anyways!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 09:20 AM   #35
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
42

 
ersin's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 IB E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland


Posts: 4,068
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
except now instead of a police state
we call it the Patriot Act

thank you republicans
You can't just blame the republicans. Many of the things that are in the Patriot Act were the same things Clinton was trying to pass during his years. The only reason the Patriot Act succeeded was 9/11. Both reps and dems voted for it.

The US not a free country -- hasn't been since the new deal. If you want to blame someone, blame yourself and all of the other voters in the US for voting with their emotions vs. voting with their minds.

To answer the OP: yes, ///M is still relevant. You said it a few posts ago. They can cruise without wandering all over the road, without the oil and water temp getting high and they can do it quietly, smoothly and comfortably. And it's still more fun to drive than other cars, especially on the back, twisty roads and at the track.

The Miata and Cayman are fun too. But they aren't suited as well for a DD as any of the ///M cars. (exception: Z4M)
__________________

I've been assimilated. 6MT/ZPP/18"/PS extended.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 09:23 AM   #36
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
129

 
kmarei's Avatar
 
Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reston, VA


Posts: 6,481
iTrader: (33)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by valeram View Post
-1 Marxist
so if you're not a republican you are a marxist?
is this the whole "if you're not with us you're against us bit?"
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 09:40 AM   #37
TLud
Colonel
United_States
34

 
TLud's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Golf R
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas


Posts: 2,280
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
You can't just blame the republicans. Many of the things that are in the Patriot Act were the same things Clinton was trying to pass during his years. The only reason the Patriot Act succeeded was 9/11. Both reps and dems voted for it.

The US not a free country -- hasn't been since the new deal. If you want to blame someone, blame yourself and all of the other voters in the US for voting with their emotions vs. voting with their minds.

To answer the OP: yes, ///M is still relevant. You said it a few posts ago. They can cruise without wandering all over the road, without the oil and water temp getting high and they can do it quietly, smoothly and comfortably. And it's still more fun to drive than other cars, especially on the back, twisty roads and at the track.

The Miata and Cayman are fun too. But they aren't suited as well for a DD as any of the ///M cars. (exception: Z4M)

+1,000,000

kmarei, you don't even have 10 posts yet. don't make me send you to the lighten up thread already.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 09:45 AM   #38
ihyln
Banned
United_States
42

 
Drives: M3post sucks
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: M3post sucks


Posts: 3,385
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to ihyln
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
-1

Left wing loon.
-1 neocon
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 10:01 AM   #39
Stunnerable
Captain
United_States
11

 
Stunnerable's Avatar
 
Drives: Nissan Rogue, 09 Jet Black M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Horsham, PA


Posts: 624
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihyln View Post
-1 neocon
Libertarian.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 10:14 AM   #40
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
129

 
kmarei's Avatar
 
Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reston, VA


Posts: 6,481
iTrader: (33)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
If you want to blame someone, blame yourself and all of the other voters in the US for voting with their emotions vs. voting with their minds.

fortunately i did not vote for him
can't vote because i am not a US citizen
but i agree with you on that point
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 10:15 AM   #41
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
129

 
kmarei's Avatar
 
Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reston, VA


Posts: 6,481
iTrader: (33)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
+kmarei, you don't even have 10 posts yet. don't make me send you to the lighten up thread already.
\

Lighten up?
i'm quote lit up already don't worry
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 11:21 AM   #42
Canyon Junkie
Private First Class
United_States
2

 
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boulder, CO


Posts: 110
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
except now instead of a police state
we call it the Patriot Act

thank you republicans
A truckload of Democrats also voted for the Patriot Act. Don't be *that guy*

Edit: Just saw the exchanges above.

Here's the deal: If you're too blind to see that both parties are in on the same ultimate goals, that's probably why you're voting for Obama. Republicans became NeoCons. Democrats became Socialists. It's still no reason to go around wearing a tinfoil hat, but keep your eyes out. This country has changed drastically in the last eight years. It's why I jut left Boulder, CO. That place used to be very laid back and easy going, without people getting in your face about politics, religion, the environment, etc. Now it's a socialist police state. Everyone is trying to protect you from yourself. I just hope the nation doesn't move this direction so quickly.

Edit again: I blame Hollywood for most of this. Haha.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 11:48 AM   #43
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
591

 
southlight's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany


Posts: 6,748
iTrader: (0)



This thread is derailing completely. Where's the guy who wants to have such topics in the politics section when he could be helpful?

Back to topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Just like your opinions on this issue. I drove my M6 to work today, nice cool air, lots of power.

In Ontario (name your state / province), you get charged with "Street Racing" if you go 50 km/h+ over the speed limit and your car get confiscated for 7 days at the side of the road and a maximum fine of $10,000.

I spoke to a senior police official at a social event a few weeks ago and the new rule in Ontario has effectively created a new cruising speed of 140-145 km/h on the highways (limit is 100 km / h).

Back to this morning, I am cruising at 145 km/h and minivans with neutered males are passing at 160 km/h. In the good old days, that wouldn't happen....now with the new rules, I rare go above 150 km /h.

What a waste of a good car..... Are our cars wasted on today's highways? I track the M6 2-3 times a year, not enough.

Should I get a Miata or a Cayman??


Sucks to fear the law.
Based on that ///M cars were a waste in every country but Germany. Talking about Germany, if you were driving 40 km/h over the speed limit here you'd walk for a month instead of driving.

Because introducing a general limit on the German Autobahn was discussed some time ago I was thinking about the very same question. I still don't think it would be a waste then. There are a lot possibilites to have fun here, even when obeying the speed limits.


Best regards, south
__________________
Those forums...WHY NOT?


JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 12:25 PM   #44
T Bone
Brigadier General
140

 
T Bone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The land where we kill baby seals


Posts: 4,021
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
you should move away from Communist Cananda?!?

you probably also paid twice the price and twice the taxes.

As Enfield notes, taxes are equal to California. And we don't get shot up by Gangsta's as much and it may surprise some Americans that we also have running water.


Quote:
Originally Posted by enfield View Post
Back to OP - I have felt the same way about ///M cars in North America. You really cannot drive them to their potential except when merging on the highway. Just that part makes it worthwhile. When you see the car tailgating you (as you were entering the ramp) being left behind in your rear view mirror. The other fun part is overtaking on country roads.
Kinda funny here....my girlfriend snickers that I need to slow down to merge with highway traffic....on the merge is about the only place where I push the car.... I usually have to brake hard to merge with traffic. Sad.
__________________
"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"......Enzo Ferrari
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST