BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

PYSPEED
Closed Thread

08-20-2008, 12:43 PM   #45
M3 Chris

Drives: 997 Turbo, X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunnerable View Post
Guys.. I am compelled to say something here. First off, I'm new to this forum so let me preface this with an introduction.. I'm 27 and from the East Coast. I am a "driver" and car nut if there ever was one. I have had the opportunity to drive many powerful cars including an insane 600HP 2nd Gen RX-7 race car. I have also autocrossed for years after attending several racing schools (I wanted to be a race car driver earlier in life but ran out of funds). It's been a few years since I had an M3 but I am about to buy a new e92 and I am so overjoyed I can't even describe it. I joined this forum a few weeks ago to learn more about the new M3 and meet some fellow enthusiasts along the way.. which I have done. However, I have noticed something over the last few weeks that I was not expecting to see. Many people on this site seem to be so caught up with being PC and projecting the image of a responsible adult to the point where they feel compelled to correct anyone who doesn't follow suite. Lets get real here.. We drive 420HP sport cars and we (well most of us hopefully) share a passion for driving. A guy comes on here and describes a little drag on the street with his new M3 he is proud of.. and may I add he said he had no cars in front of him, and he gets tared and feathered. He wasn't whipping in and out of traffic or racing through a residential zone.. it was a freaking access road! It was fun and 125mph in an M3 is no big deal. In Germany they do a lot faster than that all the time. Also, the GTO guy didn't HAVE to race him. If I roll up to a guy who is signaling me to race I will usually turn him down.. I use my discretion as anyone should. But if the situation is just right I will certainly have a little fun. After all, the reason I bought a sport car is to HAVE FUN. I'm not advocating street racing here.. but a little stop light competition is human nature. Just don't do anything stupid. Life is dangerous.. walking down the street has it's own level of danger.. Maybe some people shouldn't leave the house. I'm done.
Word!! The world is coming to a no fun society..before you know it we will all be driving hybrids!
      08-20-2008, 12:50 PM   #46
stickypaws
Dictator

Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunnerable View Post
As funny as that last part was I think your missing the point. I have a perfect driving record and all of my friends feel very safe with my driving... however, I do drive faster than anyone I know, but I never drive reckless. Tracking is obviously the place to get the full enjoyment out of a performance car but your track time represents a fraction of the time you'll spend behind the wheel of your car. I also have track friends and ALL of them drive spiritedly when off the track. Again, I am in no way advocating street racing, but I am saying enjoy your car and stop crying about people useing more than 40% throttle on public roads. Man.. this thread is insane!! We drive M3's people!!
I'm not missing the point. Driving "spiritedly" and racing someone on a public street at speeds up to 125 mph and almost creating an accident (yet still proceeding with the ego clash of two teeny peenies) are two different things.

A badge of honor story about racing against a Pontiac on public roads was the original post.

Buh, bye.
      08-20-2008, 12:51 PM   #47
BimmerRob08
Major

Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

Fella's, the important thing is to enjoy our M3's or Ferrari's or modded Rice burners, etc. But to be smart about it. It's the jackass idiots that are stupid enough to drive like Formula 1 drivers around other people driving and causing accidents and injuring or killing people that were just driving on the same stretch of road. four of us, including the driver almost died 2 years ago because he was reckless and I guess we didn't speak up fast enough as it was over in seconds. The point is, that we're all going to press our cars on and off the track, we're all going to enjoy that bad ass V8 and the cars capabilities. We just need to be smart about it. I hall ass once in a while on the highway but when I'm clear of traffic, or if I start comming up on traffic, back off and keep my distance. On back roads, I'll push it but allways with some caution. I sure as hell don't want to imact another tree at 100+ mph which is what we ended up doing. So have fun, play around with your ride, just don't injure anyone else while your doing it. Hope you fella's agree
BimmerRob08 is offline   United_States
      08-20-2008, 12:55 PM   #48
Stunnerable
Captain

Drives: Nissan Rogue, 09 Jet Black M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
Fella's, the important thing is to enjoy our M3's or Ferrari's or modded Rice burners, etc. But to be smart about it. It's the jackass idiots that are stupid enough to drive like Formula 1 drivers around other people driving and causing accidents and injuring or killing people that were just driving on the same stretch of road. four of us, including the driver almost died 2 years ago because he was reckless and I guess we didn't speak up fast enough as it was over in seconds. The point is, that we're all going to press our cars on and off the track, we're all going to enjoy that bad ass V8 and the cars capabilities. We just need to be smart about it. I hall ass once in a while on the highway but when I'm clear of traffic, or if I start comming up on traffic, back off and keep my distance. On back roads, I'll push it but allways with some caution. I sure as hell don't want to imact another tree at 100+ mph which is what we ended up doing. So have fun, play around with your ride, just don't injure anyone else while your doing it. Hope you fella's agree
That was perfect.. I couldn't have said it better!!
Stunnerable is offline   United_States
      08-20-2008, 01:11 PM   #49
mkoesel

Drives: 2015 Felt IA2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerjoy View Post
Get this straight! If you are in traffic, "dropping the hammer", doing 125 mph on a public road or anything like that, nobody but YOU are (nearly) causing accidents.
+1

Yep. You can't blame someone else for not realizing that your car was traveling at 3x the speed limit. Unless you are just plain retarded.

And yes, I have street raced before, and I will again. But even remotely insinuating that the guy who pulls out in front of you was in the wrong goes well beyond missing the point. A judge will never see it your way. If you street race, and yes most of us do or have at one time or another, at least have the brains to do it somewhere and sometime when others aren't involved. And if you don't do so, or find yourself not doing so, then at least have the decency to relate that as part of your story, instead of trying to shamelessly dodge accountability and cowardly blame the other party.
      08-20-2008, 01:22 PM   #50
3_for_the_money

Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan SSII/Ext.Bamboo

There is always, with no exceptions, a personally designated or self-appointed judge of everyone's character or behavior in every forum for every single hobby or topic of interest. Bar none.

It always exposes the one who needs to feel better about himself.

...and I thought I was posting in PG-13 when I rounded my top speed down to 125mph from 140mph.

Next time I'll post in PG for you, 'Tlud'.

You should consider registering at the VW chat board if these types of posts scare you.

Do you really and truly think that your opinions and positions on these types of topics really affect mine or anyone else's decision making? That's quite an ego you have, there, broham.

Well, if nothing else, at least this thread got the forum some traffic. No pun intended.

-3_for_the money

ps- I thought everybody's balls were bigger in Texas!?!
      08-20-2008, 01:25 PM   #51
3_for_the_money

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
I've always wondered why peeps who spend $60K+ on a car are too cheap to go to the track.
Says the guy who rides a ten-speed.

-3_for_the_money
      08-20-2008, 01:32 PM   #52
mkoesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_for_the_money View Post
Well sure, true, but I think your responses are at least partly trying to achieve that same goal. You''ll argue that. Right?

Realistically, when street racing, anyone that gets in your way is a victim. The minute you try and twist that fact is when you head toward vehicular manslaughter. That's not a judgement call, that's just my friendly advice. So for me, knowing you as a fellow M3 enthusiast, I just want to say that I hope you rethink and reassess the situation a bit more. I sure would. In fact, I do still today for shenanigans I've pulled in the past.
      08-20-2008, 01:34 PM   #53
3_for_the_money

I won the race. I already feel better, man.

3_for_the_money
      08-20-2008, 01:35 PM   #54
mkoesel

Quote:

3_for_the_money
I doubt it will last. I'll give it time though.

08-20-2008, 01:42 PM   #55
Bikerjoy
Private

Drives: 2008 M3

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Well sure, true, but I think your responses are at least partly trying to achieve that same goal. You''ll argue that. Right?

Realistically, when street racing, anyone that gets in your way is a victim. The minute you try and twist that fact is when you head toward vehicular manslaughter. That's not a judgement call, that's just my friendly advice. So for me, knowing you as a fellow M3 enthusiast, I just want to say that I hope you rethink and reassess the situation a bit more. I sure would. In fact, I do still today for shenanigans I've pulled in the past.
I swear to god, if I hear the word Shenanigans one more time, I will pistol whip someone.

A quote used in a different context is "With awesome power comes great responsibility". Sadly being fortunate enough to be able to drive a performance car doesn't automatically qualify you to do so. Knowing when and were to explore your cars performance, is just as important as knowing how to do it.
      08-20-2008, 01:47 PM   #56
BRDHNTR
Ground Pilot

Drives: e92 BMW M3

Garage List
2002 M3  [0.00]
2008 e92 M3  [0.00]
Not the place

I noticed that most people would rather debate the ethics of Street Racing than talk about the performance of the vehicles and drivers. That's fine, but I think that there should be a seperate thread for that in the "off topic discussion board: sub-forum: politics/religion". In fact I will start a thread and post a link in this thread.

BRDHNTR is offline   United_States
      08-20-2008, 01:49 PM   #57
Stunnerable
Captain

Quote:

3_for_the_money
Oh my!
      08-20-2008, 01:53 PM   #58
mkoesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerjoy View Post
I swear to god, if I hear the word Shenanigans one more time, I will pistol whip someone.
"Shenanigans!"

If you decide to trek to MI, I'll trade you some good local beer for a drive in the M3. If not, make sure the poor guy at least deserves it.

08-20-2008, 01:57 PM   #59
BRDHNTR
Ground Pilot

Drives: e92 BMW M3

Garage List
2002 M3  [0.00]
2008 e92 M3  [0.00]
If you want to talk about the race, please continue in this thread. If you want to debate the ethics of street racing please reply in the following thread.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...30#post3194930

I would like to know more details of what happened to the M3 when the car was launched. OP, next time what would you do differently launching the car to get off the line better?

BRDHNTR is offline   United_States
      08-20-2008, 02:10 PM   #60
southlight
Moderator / European Editor

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRDHNTR View Post
If you want to talk about the race, please continue in this thread. If you want to debate the ethics of street racing please reply in the following thread.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...30#post3194930

I would like to know more details of what happened to the M3 when the car was launched. OP, next time what would you do differently launching the car to get off the line better?
I don't see the connection to politics/religion. With that reference you make it look like it's something not even remotely connected to the OP's 'behaviour' and that's wrong.

Many people here have been trying hard to make clear that the stereotype of the street and or red light racing M3 driver isn't true (no more). We almost were to believe we succeeded in doing so and now somebody comes along who's proudly telling about his victory #1.

Hopefully this thread comes to an end soon.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
      08-20-2008, 02:15 PM   #61
3_for_the_money

First I would like to apologize for the sharp-tongued replies. There's no place for that. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

To the previous poster...

I would have timed the application of the throttle and the release of the clutch more accurately to avoid the initial loss of traction. I'll tell you, though, M Drive takes some experience to drive with precision. There is power on power available.

3_for_the_money
      08-20-2008, 02:16 PM   #62
m3larson
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 Cayenne S 1997 M3 Track C

Awesome! .. i hope to meet up with a new Charger someday.
      08-20-2008, 02:16 PM   #63
positiveions
Lieutenant General

Drives: 09 MKV JETTA 2.5 & E90 M3 :)

Send a message via MSN to positiveions Send a message via Yahoo to positiveions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
Kindly shove that crock of BS.

People have died tripping and falling coming out of the shower. Perhaps we should only be sprayed by a hose?

People have died changing lightbulbs falling off a ladder.

People have died doing all kinds of activities, some reckless some not, throughout the ages.

I am sorry for your loss but don't go about imposing your beliefs and taking out your aggression on others. Take a look at yourself before you start doling out advice like some saint. We are all to believe you never exceed the speed limit on the street That M3 on order is being delivered straight to the track, right?

I don't see where the guy said what he did was safe, but I got the impression that it was within reason to apply some pressure to the throttle. He mentioned safety when telling OTHERS to race safe.
Yeah, and a father lost his family from street races. HOw do you explain that to him.
positiveions is offline   Lebanon
      08-20-2008, 02:18 PM   #64
Stunnerable
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatrach73 View Post
Yeah, and a father lost his family from street races. HOw do you explain that to him.
COME ON!!
      08-20-2008, 02:21 PM   #65
TLud
Colonel

Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
There is always, with no exceptions, a personally designated or self-appointed judge of everyone's character or behavior in every forum for every single hobby or topic of interest. Bar none.

...and I thought I was posting in PG-13 when I rounded my top speed down to 125mph from 140mph.

Next time I'll post in PG for you, 'Tlud'.

You should consider registering at the VW chat board if these types of posts scare you.

Do you really and truly think that your opinions and positions on these types of topics really affect mine or anyone else's decision making? That's quite an ego you have, there, broham.

Well, if nothing else, at least this thread got the forum some traffic. No pun intended.

-3_for_the money

ps- I thought everybody's balls were bigger in Texas!?!

Quote:
First I would like to apologize for the sharp-tongued replies. There's no place for that. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

To the previous poster...

I would have timed the application of the throttle and the release of the clutch more accurately to avoid the initial loss of traction. I'll tell you, though, M Drive takes some experience to drive with precision. There is power on power available.

3_for_the_money
No ego here, man, and it has nothin' to do with ball size. Just askin' you to keep it safe around here.

My apologies for my initial harshness. Maybe you'll understand where I'm coming from, but hopefully you don't have to experience it firsthand.
TLud is offline   United_States
      08-20-2008, 02:25 PM   #66
mkoesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRDHNTR View Post
Look out everybody. Its the forum police!

Closed Thread